[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
This question is slightly /out/ ish but do you think either
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
File: 40553_overland_b_403.jpg (37 KB, 450x450) Image search: [Google]
40553_overland_b_403.jpg
37 KB, 450x450
This question is slightly /out/ ish but do you think either of these backpacks are worth buying for backpacking through europe around autumn? I know Kathmandu is looked down on by some travel types, but both these models are on sale in my country, and don't look half bad.

I'll probably be doing some light hiking, day-trip out of country town stuff, but I'll primarily be lugging these around urban areas.
http://www.kathmandu.com.au/packs-and-bags/packs/overland-pack-red.html

http://www.kathmandu.com.au/packs-and-bags/packs/wayfarer-55l-pack-oe-midnight.html

If you think these are both not worth it, what would you suggest as an alternative in the 50-60 litre range?
>>
What the fuck is wrong with you, dude? You're backpacking around fucking Europe, not going off to climb K2. Try on a couple of packs, read the reviews, and buy whatever seems durable and is comfortable.

I took my first four-month trip with my fucking school backpack and then another, longer one the next year with a 35L hiking back that I bought for $70 at Dick's Sporting Goods. Both held up fine and did exactly what I needed. Who cares if somebody is going to "look down on" your bag? They're an elitist prick.

Travel with something which works for you, regardless of if it's a cheap piece of crap or an expensive piece of crap with a helicopter built in.

Also, since my tone was already douchey:

>he needs a 60L backpack for a Europe trip
>>
>>1053261
what the fuck is wrong with your attitude, dude? The first pack I linked says it's for "experienced travellers" (whatever that specifies) and opens longways, clearly designed for being multipurpose and not a hardcore hiking thing, second one is explicitly for "urban environment".

I'm not concerned at all of people looking down on my backpack, but I was referring to a poor reputation of the quality of the packs themselves, people saying they're overpriced/break easily, shit like that. I'm not informed enough to know how valid those assumptions are, so I asked.

You come across as a horrible elitist prick on a board I like to think as one of the most civil on 4chan. Good job packing as little as possible I'm sure than impresses everyone you mention it to. I know I can travel on less and yeah, fuck those 60-70 litre behemoths people take around, but I've decided 50-55 is a size I'm comfortable taking.
>>
>>1053267

Yeah, sorry.

At the end of the day, it's your money and your decision. Have you tried checking out the reviews online? Have you can considered alternatives and gone into a store to look at your options? There's nothing wrong with taking in a tent and a handful of clothes, stuffing into a hiking bag off the shelf, and strutting around to see whether or not it's comfortable.

The mention about backpack size was just me meme-ing. What I was trying to convey - in admittedly not a very civil or proper manner - is that the choice here is entirely yours. You already know that, but there is plenty of information available online. Backpack threads on /trv/ never seem to gain much traction or go beyond people recommending various brands which are available in some parts of the world but not others.

I personally would not spend that much money on a backpack. Unless you're planning to go far off the beaten path, you don't need something overly rugged or extremely weather resistant. You'd be just as well served by something with a similar frame and attached rain tarp.
>>
>>1053270
>>1053267

All things considered (after converting AUD to USD), I don't think either pack would be a *bad* buy. There are certainly more needlessly expensive options on the market, especially when taking into consideration big and popular brands.

I would really just advocate getting into a store and trying them on for yourself, if the option is available and fairly convenient. I don't think durability is going to be a huge issue regardless of what you buy, provided you're not getting something which is made of cheap material. After all, if your most rugged excursion is going to be the occasional day-trip without exposure to the elements, your biggest dangers are just going to be creasing, crinkles, and tears.
>>
>>1053255
Katmandu shit's only worth buying if it's at least 60% off - but then with the amount of sales they have I'm pretty sure that's what they expect to sell it at anyway. I bought one off top-end packs and the frame tore through the fabric and started sliding out within 4 months of owning it. They did replace it once I got back to Australia (even though I bought it in England) but the stitching on the replacement's started coming loose already too.

For short holidays their stuff can be alright if you get a major discount - it is reasonably llightweight and has most of the features you want - but they're fragile enough that I definitely wouldn't count on it for camping or even a long holiday (shit would suck if you had a few months left of a trip and the zip jammed or the stitching came loose on your pack).

For packs, one brand I like is Black Wolf. I've had one hiking pack and one day pack of theirs, the day pack has lasted me 10 years and as only just started to require a replacement. The hiking pack is a bit heavy but feels super tough and I haven't had any issues with it over the past 3 years. Both were cheaper full-price than katmandu was on sale.
>>
OP, here's what you should look for in a backpack:

1. clamshell opening - meaning the backpack opens from top to bottom and not just at one or two ends. That way you can easily get to all your things without having to pull out most of your stuff to get to your toothpaste.

2. 40-55L - Nothing too big as this will just mean you're taking useless shit

3. If you can find it, find one where the shoulder straps can be hidden for shipping.

4. Extra wide shoulder straps that don't dig into your shoulders

Go to a store, look at as many backpacks as you can, try them on, walk around with them. Pick the one you think will work the best. Go home with it and fill it up to see what it's like when weighed down.
>>
>>1053272
I've seen some of blackwolf's stuff, and although it seems pretty reliable and good value for money, it also seems maybe more suited to proper hiking, and they don't seem to have any <60L packs with clamshell openings, which I'd agree with >>1053274 are a pretty appealing feature.

Thanks for all the advice everyone, any other brands worth researching?
>>
Lots of good advice ITT, thanks!

Wife and I are planning a lengthy RTW trip next year. Problem is, wife is on the small side (5' even, or 150cm) so no luck so far finding a good, comfortable pack with a waist belt, etc. She needs something around 30L to 35L. Anyone have any ideas/experience?
>>
>>1053255
>Kathmandu is looked down on by some travel types
First I've heard of it. I've had a Kathmandu pack for ten years and it's only just beginning to wear.
>>
>>1053255
I'm going to say this from years of travelling: Hiking the Annapurnas, drifting around America, whatever:

You will NEVER EVER need anything bigger than 30L when travelling.

I have a 50L that is necessary when I move countries to live. I've used it four times. Really useful then, but I wouldn't even bother thinking about taking it for a month somewhere.
>>
I have a 40L and I wouldn't want or need anything bigger. Like the other people said you are just packing things you don't need.
I got a second hand osprey farpoint and it has some serious build quality, been on a few lengthy trips and it barely even wears at all
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.