[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
UK/Ireland in the winter
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 2
File: uk_and_ireland.jpg (28 KB, 360x288) Image search: [Google]
uk_and_ireland.jpg
28 KB, 360x288
Hello /trv/. So i got 2 and a half weeks off work during christmas and new years and i was thinking about doing a UK trip (i live in Romania). Im starting in Dublin. Ive been told that the weather is shit around that time so i wont be going for much scenery.

Anyway, i was wondering if anyone can give me useful information such as cheap/good hostels, main things to do and see, daytrips you can take or anything else on these cities im considering:

>Dublin, Belfast, Glasgow, Liverpool, Manchester, Birmingham, Newcastle and London

Also if theres anything else you think i should do in the UK that doesnt require great weather i would be very thankful if you could share it with me.
>>
make sure you go home.
>>
The weather is always shit, just do outside stuff anyway. In winter there's snow sometimes, in spring/summer/autumn it rains all of the time.

Also leave more information on what you like.
Also, you're essentially asking for an all-round tour of the GB and Ireland - nobody's going to write that for you.
>>
>cheap/good hostels
Premier Inn, there's one in most towns

Instead of the cities you have, I made some edits:
>Dublin
>St. Ives
>Cardiff
>Glasgow
>York
>Leicester
>London
St Ives is a beautiful town in Cornwall with Lands End to the west and the Devon national park to the east.
Cardiff is the capital of Wales and is worth a visit, be wary of their alien accent
York is a great place to go, everyone will say the women are slags and it's a shithole, that's in the suburbs. City center is nice with great Viking history and historical architecture.
Leicester is also good, visit the train museum.
Do NOT visit Liverpool or to a lesser extent Manchester. They are shitholes and you will find it spoils the trip.
>>
Take out Birmingham and Liverpool and add Edinburgh and York.
>>
I'm going to use this thread for my own selfish gains. My mother wants to go visit Ireland for either a week or two and she wants me to come along. She wants to see some castles, kiss the blarney stone, whatever that is, and so some pub crawling.we will be going during St. Patty's week so I'm interested in what we can do during March outdoors. What are some nature cites, good bars, nice old churches, etc. And is public transportation okay or do we have to rent a vehicle?
>>
>>1053140
Read the OP again i was not asking for an "all-round" tour.

Thanks for the answers, York looks pretty good i think ill give it a shot.

I want to go into Snowdonia in northern Wales, whats the best way to get to see some views? I wont have access to a car.
And also, is Stonehenge worth the effort?
>>
just ensure you leave the country when your trip is done. we are full
>>
>>1053135
>>1053496

Im swedish i just work in Bucharest
>>
>>1053135
>>1053496
Good job lads
A+
>>
>>1053699
the sentiment remains.

dont want no german/islam collaborators here thanks.
>>
Bump for useful stuff to contribute with
>>
>>1052929
from personal experience i recommend Edinburgh Brighton and Cardiff

why the fuck would anyone go to Glasgow by choice?
>>
Not OP, but wondering, is Liverpool really shit? I'm also going to be going to GB in the dead of winter, and my work will be bringing me to the Chester area for several days. I was thinking of swinging by Liverpool as well to explore some winter outdoor scenery/history/pubs/ local culture.
Would my time and money be be spent better elsewhere?
>>
>>1053146
What the fuck?
Liverpool is a beautiful city with beautiful people, Op I suggest you take the ferry from Dublin to Liverpool then carry on a train ridin from there.
Things to do in liverpool: the Beatles shtick, one of the largest and liveliest live gig scenes in the UK, the christmas markets, incredible art gallery's and museums. I thought the same about Liverpool till I acctually visited it
>>
>>1054247
Liverpool is a gem, it's open and relaxed and smaller than Manchester so you don't feel as boxed in, plus the people are absolutely lovely
>>
File: 1304725987413.jpg (32 KB, 628x479) Image search: [Google]
1304725987413.jpg
32 KB, 628x479
I'm bumping this thread to generate some discussion.

I'm completely new to traveling, me and my girlfriend have decided for northern ireland or even the republic depending on what we can see/travel expenses/accommodations as our first big trip out of the US.

We're primarily interested in historic castles, forests, lithic and pre-christianity sites and great food. I love the cold while she can hardly tolerate it so we're trying to find a happy medium or to the best of our ability.

This is all new ground for me, I'm mexican and she's irish-native american so I have no knowledge or investment in ireland other than I think it sounds beautiful.

Anyone have an idea of cities that fit this itinerary? Or even kind of a central hub to see sites like I mentioned? I'm going to be delving into research over the next 6 months but leads would be fantastic.
>>
>>1053319
I went there back in 07 and did essentially the same thin with my parents. I was 12 so i dont remeber everything but i would highly reccomebd the cliffs of Mohor, they were amazingly sceneic if you are up for the hike(maybe a mile uphill)
>>
>>1054822
There's only one place in Ireland and that's Dublin, everywhere else is a myth and you can ignore people who say "Cork" is a nice city, or "Wexford" has a good history.
>>
Oh hey, I'm also travelling to Dublin and London in about a month.

Any tips for a recent graduate traveling there? I know we're doing quite a few touristy things, but I was curious if there's any sort of public etiquette I should be aware of to not make an ass out of myself and be the typical uncultured American. This especially applies to pubs and the like.
>>
Generator hostel in Dublin comes highly recommended
>>
Not OP but i will be in Dublin in 2 weeks and i was considering a day trip to the Cliffs of Moher, i will only have 1 full day in Dublin and i dont know if i should go to the cliffs or to explore the city on that day.
Can anyone convince me on which alternative is the best?
>>
Besides Dublin, Cork has a nice city centre and is the 2nd largest city, Galway is a nice little place from which you can easily access the Connemara national park and the Cliffs of Moher (biggest tourist attraction)-- Northern Ireland go to Belfast and from there take a day tour to the northern parts to see castle things and the Giant's Causeway
>>
>>1052929
Newcastle has a a few cheap hostels, can't speak of their quality as I live in the area.

The north east is pretty grim this time of year but worth a visit for the sights (if you like bridges you're in luck) and the nightlife and people are great. Northumberland and County Durham are a bus/train away if you fancy something more natural or architecturally nice.
>>
gee I didnt know Ireland was in the uk
>>
>>1055843
lel
>>
>>1055103
Take the time to see Newgrange if you can, it's up near Drogheda.

Shit depending on when you're in Ireland I can show you around, I could still be in spain though with work.
>>
>>1052929
EDINBURGH! Edinburgh is my favourite city in the UK, lots of stuff to do, lots of festivals and such (I'm not sure if they still do, but last time I was there Edinburgh Zoo had pandas in it, less expensive than China!). Great food, high street is fantastic, and there is too many pubs to count.
>>
>>1053171
I concur. Birmingham is a shit hole.
>>
I have cousins living in Ipswich. is it nice there??
>>
>>1057032
Wouldn't go out my way to go there put it that way.
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.