[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Japan
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1
File: 1438421142675.jpg (91 KB, 600x800) Image search: [Google]
1438421142675.jpg
91 KB, 600x800
Hey guys. I notice there's quite a bit of information about travelling to Japan in the sticky, but I'm after less generic information. My question is: what were your personal favorite places, things and events to see while in Japan that aren't obvious tourist attractions?

I'm going to Japan for 3 weeks very soon and am it will likely be the only time I go for a while so naturally, I'd like to get as much out of the trip as I can. I'm going with a group of what you'd call hipsters (I'm more of a weeb, that's why we're going), so most of them aren't as keen on seeing Mount Fuji or Tokyo Tower and the traditional stuff you see in travel brochures. I tend to believe the opposite - tourist attractions are popular for a reason - so if there are some obvious spots/experiences you'd highly recommend, I'd love to hear them too.

We'll be spending about half of our time in Tokyo, a few days skiing around Sapporo, and the rest of our time between Nagoya and Osaka. Aside from that, we have nothing in our schedule, so any suggestions around those areas would be great.

I have about 6 months of Japanese lessons behind me, so I have some language and written skills, if that's relevant to any recommendations. I'm happy to break away from my group of 5 if there's any things best experienced individually. I have a fairly strong interest in traditional Japanese culture, and as 20 somethings, we are also interested in the nightlife.

Just looking to hear what you guys thought were the best things to see and do in and around the above areas. As well as first time travelling to Japan tips, I suppose.

Sorry if this isn't the kind of post/detail you're used to seeing on /trv/, this isn't my native board. But thanks heaps anons.

Also: Where is pic related, is it nice? Found this picture a few months ago and couldn't find a source.
>>
The only thing we plan on experiencing is the Chichibu Yomatsuri, simply because it's the only festival on at this time. Any of you guys have any experience with this, or any other festivals?
>>
Didn't see the Japan General. Should I repost that there or does this kind of thing generally get its own thread? Forgiveness please ^^
>>
>>1052392
Pic looks like the Higashiyama District by Kiyomizu Temple in Kyoto
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3959.html
>>
>>1052392
Should be in the Japan thread but whatever, I'm not anal.

>things and events to see while in Japan that aren't obvious tourist attractions?

Traditional theatre--Particularly Noh or Bunraku if you want to be as non-touristy as possible. Most tourists who do traditional theatre will inevitably go to Kabuki. It's the most popular form among Japanese and the easiest to get tickets. So most foreigners will go to Kabuki if they go at all. I go to Noh regularly (prefer it to Kabuki) and I saw only two foreigners (not including me) in a crowd of hundreds last time I went to the National Theatre and zero foreigners when I went to another theatre in Higashi Nakano. Generally speaking even Japanese people are not interested in tradtional theatre and tell

Since you're a weeb and you don't want to do obvious touristy stuff, you might check out Nakano broadway. It's a mall in Nakano that is basically like Akihabara Lite, with more of an emphasis on vintage and western toys. It's not as good as Akihabara but it's less known and you can find some good stuff there.

>we are also interested in the nightlife.

Shinjuku Golden Gai? You will see a healthy crowd of foreigners there any given night, but never any older tourists. I get the feeling the foreign crowd is more expats than tourists. I'd still consider Golden Gai a hidden gem.

Also,
>weeb
>interested in nightlife

Huh.
>>
>>1052392
>We'll be spending about half of our time in Tokyo, a few days skiing around Sapporo, and the rest of our time between Nagoya and Osaka.

Dude, don't go to Nagoya. There's no point. Kyoto and Kobe should be on your itinerary. Not Nagoya. There's nothing to do in Nagoya that you can't do elsewhere.
>>
>>1052399
Thanks anon, looked for a while for that too.
>>1052411
>Should be in the Japan thread but whatever, I'm not anal.
Sorry m8, I swear I control+f'd Japan and didn't find anything
>weeb
>interested in nightlife
Haha about 50/50 weeb and normie if I had to classify myself by 4chan's standards
>>1052412
Actually I was going to be spending about 4 or 5 days in Osaka, just stopping over in Nagoya for a day trip between Tokyo and Osaka. You say there's no point? My accommodation in Osaka is already booked, is it feasible to see Kyoto/Kobe as a series of day trips?
>>
>>1052530
4-5 days is entirely too much for just Osaka. But it's fine that you'll be staying in Osaka because Kyoto is very accessible by train for a day trip, Kobe too. You should also go to Nara. Hang out in the park with the deer and go to Todaiji.
>>
>>1052547
Hmm you might be right mate. Suggestions of things to do in Kyoto/Kobe/Nara? I think I'll take some day trips.
>>
>>1052757
I'm not going to get into Kyoto because it's one of the most popular and standard places for people to go in Japan and tons of insights are available via this board or Google. Nara, as I said, go to the deer park and Todaiji.
>>
>>1052412

I kinda concur, I stayed over Nagoya for 2,5 days. What I did was:
- go toyota museums
- shinkansen museum
- castle (not too big)
- get into the 'paris' replica
- the big underground shopping mall
- very high tall buildings on top of the station, paying peanuts for a good meal and great view in my shorts
- old area

Id say Kobe and Nara were more memorable. Koyasan is good, but can be expensive time-intensive.

I was thinking of going to see the new maglev train, but it was further away
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.