[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Would you advise for or against bringing a compact laptop when
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 4
File: laptop_PNG8913.png (2 MB, 2417x1601) Image search: [Google]
laptop_PNG8913.png
2 MB, 2417x1601
Would you advise for or against bringing a compact laptop when you travel? I see a lot of people at hostels with them, but surely most of what you'd use it for you could just do on a nice smartphone?

Packing general I guess.
>>
I carry my tablet because why the fuck not?

To each his own, I guess.

>packing general

Never travel 'cross the sea
Without Imodium A.D.
>>
>>1052026
Currently traveling now and I dumped my laptop in my car the second before I left for my flight. I don't regret leaving it at all, you can do pretty much everything you need on your phone without the extra carry weight.
>>
>>1052026
Depends on where you'll go, what you'll do and your preferences I guess.
When I'm city-hopping on my own I do like to stop at a coffee shop and browse shit on a rainy afternoon once in a while but on a road trip for example I wouldn't even consider bringing one.
>>
>Packing general

Is this a good board to ask about suitcases?

I'm looking for a suitcase that is at least 22.00" x 10" x 22.20". That's specific because of my fullsized computer tower.

If someone has a better suggestion for trying to pack this thing on an airplane besides "take it all apart" as I'll be doing that anyway, but it stills lives the issue of my case.

Thanks.
>>
>>1052029
Lack of connectivity and storage capacity.
>>
Grabted, I;m a tech whore. And I traditionally take a 13 inch notebook and 7 inch tablet, and a Phablet. My upcoming trip in tow weeks will ahve a 15 inch notebool, 10.1 inch tablet (Galaxy S), and a Phablet (Note 4). I may or may not bring 1 addtional tablet, and additional phones. Both Smart phones, 1 of those a Phablet. Though they may be gifts or sold. I accumulate a lot of tech due to how frequently I update and will gift/sell the remainder.
>>
Been travelling three to four months now without laptop. Was through SEA and now in New Zealand, and i'm glad i don't need to carry one around or worry abou it getting stolen/broken etc.
Smartphones are computers, i can do most with this, like writing this post. When i need actual computer i'll go to one of them cafes, usually just to print out stuff or book a flight.

My backpack has:
>5 t-shirts
>Underwear for 5-7days few pair of socks
>1 pair shirts
>1pair jeans
>jumper
>jacket
>small towel
>hygiene stuff
>raincoat
>few books and paperworks, small stuff like chargers etc
I still think it's too much, and now that i'm in a expensive country i've started to accumulate alot of food and cooking stuff, and i'm planning to get a tent and a sleepingbag for hitchhiking. I hate carrying alot.
>>
>>1052034
It depends on how long you are travelling and how you are travelling, I'm currently in year 3 of travelling and without my laptop and External HD's I wouldnt have anywhere to store my videos and pics from my DLSR, and good luck planning 3 months in china on your phone.
>>
>>1052050
phablet is the worst portmanteau since webinar
>>
>>1052050
Just kill yourself
>>
>>1052073
Why?
>>
I carry a cheaper tablet with me. I mainly use it for e-books, as you can easily have hundreds of books on it. Web surfing is also easier with it than with a phone. I also use it to upload gopro footage to some online drive, but I suppose you can use your phone for that. I carry a cheaper one because I don't need the processing power, and there's always the probability of breaking it/getting it stolen.
>>
>>1052052
This. It really depends how long you're going and the purpose of your trip. If you just plan on spending time on the beach for a few weeks or a month and want to get away from things you should leave it at home.

On the other hand if you're a long term backpacker you should always take one. I take one because I use it as entertainment in the evenings plus I need somewhere to store my photos and videos.
>>
>>1052026
>when you travel?

where and how?

If I were going to London and staying In a hotel I would bring it. But a hostel in Cambodia? no.
>>
>>1052273
Asking out of actual curiosity... why? What would you use it for in a hotel in London that you could or would not use it for in a Cambodian hostel?
>>
>>1052277

Its not a question of what, its just where. A Cambodian hostel is full of sketchy people. your stuff probably isn't safe there. The Wifi is probably shit anyway. Also there are lots of young people to drink with.
>>
>>1052286
AH, OK, fair enough.
>>
i take college online, in class most of the year. So a laptop is necessary.
>>
I work online for money so I definitely require more than my phone, and I have a pretty nice phone at that.

I have a $150 chromebook with about $100 in ram/ssd upgrades. It's basically a disposable laptop, with great performance. It's not a gaming laptop by any means, which is mostly a good thing.

Battery life is decent, but you're best suited to use it in coffee shops. I use it while I charge up all my other batteries.
>>
>>1052264
I guess storage and editing pictures is the main issue between the two. A lesser issue being ease of use/compatibility with some websites.

Also, if i didn't have easy access to WiFi I would want a laptop & hdd for entertainment.
>>
>>1052047
Look into Pelican cases. They come in a wide range of sizes, are well padded, waterproof, and basically indestructible.
>>
File: Robin_Damian_Wayne_0017.jpg (209 KB, 1280x865) Image search: [Google]
Robin_Damian_Wayne_0017.jpg
209 KB, 1280x865
>>1052374
This.

Sounds like OP is trying to do too much with too much. You can get a small bluetooth keyboard, a mini-usb to usb dongle, unlock your bootloader, and root your phone and you've got the functionality of a computer. You can also edit photos with cell apps.

It's not great. Your screen is small, functionality is limited, but I know for a fact it's possible, cheap, and portable.

Pic Semi-Related.
>>
>>1052395
Ha. I have a laptop pelican case. Among others. This is me.>>1052050
>>1052322
>>
>>1052286
I don't stay in hostels when I travel. In fact I try my best to rent an apartment or at least a suite if I am anywhere more than a few days. I like the ability to cook. In reality find some local to cook for me. Still stock a fridge and microwaveables otherwise
>>
I never brought a laptop in the past when traveling and never regretted. My last trip was for 2 months and for the first time I brought a laptop/tablet hybrid because it is very slim and I figured why not. I regretted it every day; it was unnecessary weight and space in my bag and the only times I used it were because I thought to myself, "well I brought this thing so I guess I'll look at some of the pictures/videos I took on a bigger screen" and occasionally clearing out the microSD in my gopro. The end result was that I had a bunch of unused microSDs at the end of my trip.

But like other anons said, it really depends on where you're going, for how long, and what use you get out of a laptop. I read books and watched vids on my phone and listened to music on my mp3 player. 2 small handhelds and a couple extra SD cards are a lot less cumbersome than a laptop IMO.
>>
File: 20151120_124743.jpg (4 MB, 5312x2988) Image search: [Google]
20151120_124743.jpg
4 MB, 5312x2988
>>1052414
>>1052395
>>
>>1052439
Why are people carrying laptops with them everywhere? Mine is in my carry on, which is a full sized Targus backpack. Then it never leavesmy room once I check into my accommodations
>>
>>1052441
Nice collection. We use them all the time at work for shipping sensitive/valuable equipment including laptops
>>
>>1052444
I don't carry mine with me everywhere, I also leave it locked up in my room. It doesn't change the fact that the only times I'm using it are when I'm actually back at my hotel, and I don't know about you but I am almost always out all day and only use my room to shower, change, and sleep. I may not be carrying it every day but it does still add a noticeable weight to my bag when I'm moving from city to city, especially for something that doesn't get much valuable use. That's just how I do things and my preferences while traveling; obviously everyone has different wants and needs.
>>
>>1052401
Editing on your phone is crap and the photos only look good on social media. Some people here are really into photography and you can't come close to doing what Photoshop and Lightroom can do especially if you're running a photo website.
>>
File: Thin Green Line.jpg (2 MB, 2048x1601) Image search: [Google]
Thin Green Line.jpg
2 MB, 2048x1601
>>1052460

No argument here. It just depends on what you're going to be doing. If you're going to be doing photo editing most netbooks are going to useless anyway, so why would spend more money on more tech you don't necessarily need?

If you need a solid DSLR or full-frame you'll need a decent processor in your computer to handle photoshop (or even GIMP), and you'll probably also be carrying an extra lens or two, maybe a tripod, batts, etc. That's more shit to carry, and more shit that could be stolen.

If you don't NEED it, don't carry it.
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.