[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Indonesia
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 7
File: lombok.jpg (104 KB, 500x313) Image search: [Google]
lombok.jpg
104 KB, 500x313
What do you know about traveling in Indonesia? Really want to go to somewhere equatorial this summer, Indonesia is my first choice, but I want to know more
>>
>>1052002
75% chance of ending up meat on a stick
>>
>>1052061
25% chance of dying from smoke inhalation
>>
Don't be a normie and go to kuta if you decide to go to Bali. North and east shores are pretty cool. Also Banda Aceh on the island of Sumatra is an interesting place to go. Think it's a bit hostile at the moment though.
>>
>>1052074
Had thought about flying to Jakarta, then renting a car and driving to Sumbawa through Bali and Lombok
>>
>>1052113
Would actually be a fun trip. Few mates did that on motorbikes and said it was fantastic.
>>
>>1052114
I would do it on a motorbike but the lisence is so damn expensive
>>
I did a month long trip of Jakarta, Java and Bali including the Gili isles OP, I'm going out in a bit but post some questions and I'd be more than happy to answer them
>>
>>1052135
How expensive is general stuff like clothes, groceries, food etc. there?
How expensive is car rental and gas?
Where to go along the Java-Bali-Lombok-Sumbawa island chain? I already know that I want to surf and climb volcanoes and generally have a relaxed time when not driving, so anything that promotes that kind of living is good
>>
Java was pretty shit, but there were some cool parts. Highlight was Bromo and Borobudur. Bali is recommended for a reason. I absolutely loved Ubud.
>>
>>1052151
Did you climb any volcanoes? I particularly want to go to the one I posted a pic of, on Lombok
>>
>>1052156

I climbed to the top of Bromo, but that isn't much of a climb. The climb to the viewing point of Bromo is higher.

I also climbed up Ijen, which I found pretty exhausting, being underslept and overwalked.
>>
>>1052172
Wow, that place looks amazing, definitively going there if I go in the first place
>>
>>1052139
Clothes, food/drink, toiletries etc are all pretty cheap. Not sure about car rental as never had to rent a car there but I know petrol is pretty cheap.
>>
>>1052250
thank you my friend :)
>>
File: don_t_even.gif (804 KB, 245x218) Image search: [Google]
don_t_even.gif
804 KB, 245x218
>>1052284
>>
File: bromo.jpg (97 KB, 1280x685) Image search: [Google]
bromo.jpg
97 KB, 1280x685
>>1052173

Bromo should be nr.1 on anyone's Indonesian to do list.
>>
File: 1431253312863.png (40 KB, 183x132) Image search: [Google]
1431253312863.png
40 KB, 183x132
>>1052375
That place is exactly what I want out of Indonesia tbqh
>>
>>1052139
everything is very cheap
I went last year, during summer and converted from £ rupiah so I don't know if exchange rates will have changed but like most stuff in SEA you can live like a king on not a lot, I think I spent £1000 in total in a month and did everything I wanted with no trouble

don't know about car rental, you can get anywhere and everywhere by train/bus/cab

I started in Jakarta, then went to Java (check out Borobodur, cool place and cool temple), then went up Mount Bromo (very cool, quite expensive if you do a package sort of thing which includes transport up the mountain, a stay at this super cool hostel and transport further up the mountain in the morning to see the sunrise (unfortunately it was cloudy when we went but it was a great time nonetheless), you also get transport to the volcano which is pretty cool (pic related)
Lombok's a cool place, Gili isles are good if you like drugs/partying/scuba diving
>>
>>1052477 here

I would also suggest if you have the time/can be arsed to go to the small mountain village of Wonosobo, it should be on your way if you're travelling through Java. I believe we stayed in Magelang in some shitty hostel and then went up for the day. They have some really cool lakes there. It's not everyone's cup of tea so do your research and decide if you think it's worth it but it has some really nice scenery (pic related).

Ubud is great by the way, I would recommend staying in a homestay just outside of Ubud, we stayed with a guy who was a taxi driver, drove us into Ubud whenever we wanted. He was also sponsored by a local hotel (we thought we had booked it, couldn't believe the price) only to turn up and find out we were staying in this guys house haha, was a good laugh though, the hotel let you use the pool/wifi/hot showers etc. Will post pics of his little farm he let us work on (we're all city boys so we'd never done stuff like that, again, not everyone's cup of tea)
this is the homestay thing http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g297695-d5484312-Reviews-Alam_Sari_Homestays-Gianyar_Bali.html
>>
this is the guy's farm
>>
>>1052477
>>1052483
>>1052484
I appreciate it, will probably spend 3 weeks to a month in Indonesia if I go, so I'll be sure to check out these spots
>>
Bule fag here.
Currently in Klaten, jawa ( don't ask why)
Anon, wait until u see the traffic here before thinking about driving yourself.
You can hire a car with driver (including fuel) for about 500,000 idr a day.
But as another poster mentioned public transport is cheap and easy.
Every thing else is dirt cheap , my biggest expense is alcohol
>>
>>1052758
PS.I forgot to mention,
Mt bromo is currently closed due to eruptions of poison gas.
I highly recommend a trip to flores, not just to visit my kelimitu with its tri color lakes at the summit.
Also happy to answer any more specific questions about Indonesia
>>
>>1052758
>>1052762
I think I'm willing to take the risk by driving myself, I love being able to just pull over when I see something interesting by the side of the road. Should I rent a car or a scooter? Also do any ferries go to Flores from Sumbawa?
Where to go if I want to casually surf?
Do you think Bromo will be closed in the summer? Or will it be over by then?
>>
>>1052765
Honestly, wait until u see the traffic before u consider driving yourself.
As for scooters.....do u ride a motorbike at home? Its not a good place to learn here. Have u ever seen a rekt thread on b/? I see road carnage here regularly.
If u do hire a car and driver, they are more than happy to stop where ever you want.just beware that some drivers will try to take you to places where they get a commission.
I don't think bromo will be closed for to long, but this does happen occasionly
>>
>>1052765
The national ferry and shipping company https://www.pelni.co.id
Beware anon,the website can be confusing and ferries here are notorious for delays,overcrowding and sinking (one sunk a few days ago near Surabaya with 150 people on board)
But it is doable, I know a mayonnaiser who has done the archipelago from Sumatra to timor with his scooter .
He is a pretty seasoned indo hand though, very fluent in bahasa and has a basic vocabulary of a few other dialects.
U say casual surf? Does that mean that u r very relaxed about getting smashed into razor sharp coral? U will either be surfing alone or with crowds of experienced surfers from around the world.
Maybe not the best place to learn, but there will be someone better able to answer this, I'm a diver,
>>
>>1052758
When i lived in indo i had a personal chauffeur for like 700.000 idr a month
>>
>>1052074
Its easier said than done. The plane touches down and you end up in fucking kuta with no means of public transport.

I can remommend the Perama shuttle bus, seems pretty much the only easy option though.
>>
Anyone know how easy it is to buy a motorcycle as a foreigner?

I'm also wondering how easy it is to get from East Timor to Jakarta without flying, I assume I could just take ferries from one island to the next.
>>
>>1053214
Buying a scooter- easy
Island hopping from Timor leste to java - doable but not easy
Www.pelni.co.id
>>
>>1052986
How long ago was that anon?
N what part of indo?
Was he just to take you to work and back?
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.