[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I am going to Brazil for 2 weeks with another person and we leave
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 3
File: 720px-Flag_of_Brazil.svg.png (35 KB, 720x504) Image search: [Google]
720px-Flag_of_Brazil.svg.png
35 KB, 720x504
I am going to Brazil for 2 weeks with another person and we leave Friday. We're going to Manaus, Rio, Sau Palo, and to see Igassu Falls. I have everything ready to go but just need some info from a local or someone who has been there:

-Is it safer/easier to take a Taxi or the train in Rio or Sau Palo vs just using Uber?

-I know Rio isnt the safest place, but will I be ok at least running around duing the day to typical tourist areas?
>>
>>1051358
1) we are in a midst of a corporativist war between Uber and taxis, and the first ones were ultimately forbidden in Rio. I don't know about São Paulo
2) Stay strictly in tourist areas, don't be a gangsta and walk always with some R$ 150 in your pocket. If you are robbed, give it to the thief (you can face serious problems if you find a thief without money)
>>
>>1051363
Even staying in the tourist areas during the day what is the likely hood of being robbed?
>>
>>1051358
OP again. I also just remembered we're pretty much staying in Copacabana the entire few days we are there. I hear thats a more safe zone.
>>
>>1051370
>>1051393
I've been three times in Rio, in Copacabana, and it never happened anything with me. It is very difficult to happen, mainly considering Summer Games next year, but be psycologically prepared. And keep the R$ 150 just in case.
>>
Go to Santa Catarina, better beaches e more secure
>>
>>1051358
Rio: same as everyone said. And if you rent a car, do not go into the favelas, specially at night. The same is true for Sao Paulo.
If you go to the beach, always have at least 1 person of the group looking at your belonging, no matter how safe it looks.

Sao Paulo: Train system is really good if you avoid peak times (7-9am, 5-7pm). Only bad thing: there is no train to the Guarulhos airport. So you probably need to use the taxi or uber. Please note that many taxi drivers completely ignore the taximeter and charge whatever they want, so ask first.

Iguacu Falls: watch out for your belongings if you cross to Paraguai, it's really crowded and easier for pickpocketing. Also, do not open food packages inside the park. Animals will probably attack you.

Never been to Manaus, so no tips on that.

Have a good trip. Hope you enjoy it and come back for more, we have hundreds of awesome places.
>>
>>1051358
Rio is Rio. most people can help you with that.

while in Manaus I would advise you to eat Tambaqui. Its a huge river fish that has an unique texture and taste.
also, go swim with the "botos". they are pink river dolphins that are as friendly as a dog. they come up to you to be petted and are very playful. also, i tought this was bullshit, but people say that playing with botos has some sort of therapeutic benefit. i never believed it, but then i swam with them and i felt more relaxed than i had felt ever since i was a boy. it was a weird laziness, like the sort you get after a long massage.
>>
OP here: all great notes, ill take them down. Looking forward to the Manaus much more now :)
>>
Eat as much as possible, the food in Brazil, especially beef and fish is amazing.

Spent one day in Sao Paolo, I recommend taking one of the 3ish hour car tours. I normally would not, but we did have a great guide who just asked us what we wanted to see and didn't push us into seeing the usual bullshit.
>>
>>1051358
Hey man, ive been in sao pablo in april, its fucking amazing, in the most touristic areas, you are safe as fuck, you can walk all the night and not a single thing will happen to you or your wallet or your ass, they have amazing beaches obviously, great nightlife, 10/10 food, you can do whatever you want in sao paulo and if you stay in the tourist´s zone, you be all right.
Rio is really really fucked up, a man taking a bus, in the center of the city, was stabbed to deah in front of 20 people who was waiting the bus with him, just because they want his wallet, they even ask, so, be careful there, have a nice trip
>>
>>1051832

You make it seem like Sao Paulo is a heaven and Rio is a hell. That's totally not true.

Unfortunately, you can have your things stolen anywhere, even in touristic places. If you leave your phone showing on your back pocket, some people will not think twice before taking it and running away. And that is anywhere you go. So just keep an eye open and you should be fine.

But if somebody threatens you, the best thing to do is give them whatever they are asking for, and do not react to it.

ps: Sao Paulo, the city, has no beaches. The state has though.
>>
Not OP, but I'm going to sao paulo in February for 10 days. What places near the city are cool? I'm pretty sure I'll have time to look at everything.
Only bad thing, low budget (around 800 dollars) but i've already paid for the hotel.
>>
>>1052040
What hotel?
>>
>>1052040
dude, 800 dollars is A LOT in Brazil.. and, well, São Paulo has everything, museums, parks, concerts, architecture, great clubs, food, et cetera... it really depends on what you're into
>>
>>1052040

800 USD = 2500 BRL, it's a god budget for 10 days. In São Paulo you can find a lot of good parties, they last till morning and are very interesting. If you are into the underground scene, you'll probably enjoy Madame Satan Underground Club.
>>
>>1052664
Thanks a lot for the info. What I'm really looking forward in this trip is to know the life in a big city because I live in a really small town (14000 people) so any tips like those are welcomed.
>>1052087
I'm staying in hotel orione. The reviews said that it is placed in a good part of town.
>>
Get ramen and gyoza from Aska. Incredible food.

We needed a break from Brazilian shit when in SP and did a full day of Japanese stuff. Japanese markets, immigration museum and Japanese food. Was very cool.
>>
>>1053782
Stay close to North-South Subway line, mainly after of Sé crossing, and wvery will be fine.
>>
>>1053979
I'm pretty sure the hotel is in a very central area. am I fucked?
>>
>>1054502
no, you are not. I know the hotel you are staying, never met someone who stayed there, but it's location is good because it's close from paulista avenue and liberdade (the japanese neighborhood)
- it's also close to one of the best hospitals in the city, in case anything bad happens.
Also it's not a "dangerous" area, actually. but don't low your guard in any case

if you are going to visit the city center and walk around Sé, São Bento, Anhangabaú and República then beware, it's a must see area because it has the Catedral and the Municipal Theater, but the odds of getting robbed there are high, especially at night, so avoid taking your phones, watches and important documents there.
>>
>>1054502
>>1054752
the most crazy parties usually happen in central area
if you ever go there at night, avoid walking alone or, as already said, without expensive or important stuff

(there are a lot of famous nightclubs in Augusta street but it really depends on what kind of party you are looking for and I particularly don't find them really good)

for cultural events i usually use this site: http://www.voodoohop.com/content/voodoohop/0
>>
File: 3729591.gif (40 KB, 505x521) Image search: [Google]
3729591.gif
40 KB, 505x521
I plan on going to rio around jan-feb

Is it better to stay at a hotel or rent out house or apt? (Ive got money)

How easy is it to get with locals and other foreigners?
>>
>>1051358
OP I'll be honest with you, I'd avoid Rio de Janeiro and São Paulo for being too dangerous, so stay alert 24/7, mainly in Rio.

Taxis here are extremelly expensive, try to avoid it the more you can.

Also this
>>1051455
>>
>>1055611
Local people are somehow very friendly and helpful, although most of them don't speak english.
I don't know why people are obsessed with Rio thou, it's a terrible city but whatever floats your boat. I'd say for you it's better to stay in a hotel and please check the neighbourhood before booking anything.
>>
>>1055845

whats there to do in rio?

And what are must go places in brazil?
>>
>>1055902
Santa Catarina Beaches
Amazonas nature
Foz do Iguaçu waterfall
Paraná craziness
>>
>>1055902
Minas Gerais for great cuisine, and historical (colonial) cities.
Pantanal/Amazon for wilderness
Southern states for hot women and good cities (Blumenau, Joinville, Florianópolis, etc)
Northeast for true brazillian sun, culture, beaches/full tourist experience (if you have a little money, you get treated as a king by staffs and shit in resorts/luxury hotels. Literally. They talk to you as "meu rei", which means "my king")
Brasília if you are into arquitechture
São Paulo if you are into big cities with tons of options
Rio de Janeiro if you are into getting mugged by "framenguistas".
>>
File: 1444507165879.jpg (7 KB, 250x228) Image search: [Google]
1444507165879.jpg
7 KB, 250x228
Is it better to stay at a hotel or rent an apt or house when visiting rio?
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.