[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What kinds of travelers do you automatically dislike? Me:
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 127
Thread images: 10
File: 171409.jpg (44 KB, 620x413) Image search: [Google]
171409.jpg
44 KB, 620x413
What kinds of travelers do you automatically dislike?

Me:

>people who have backpacks with "countries I've visited" flags sewn onto them
>hostel creeps who have no game and spend every night trying to get different women drunk
>women who have been in a new country for two days and are already meeting guys off Tinder and bitching about their newly created drama
>hippies who are inspired by the "spirituality" of dirt-poor people
>the dude who's been staying in the same hostel for two months and thinks he's an expert on the country
>"yea i been fokked up for da last week ay, why is i gonna be here if i aint' gnna party hards erry night nd trna fuk wid da local bitches ya dig"
>probably gonna get some shit for this, but people who sit around looking over The Lonely Planet and just plan their entire trips from guidebooks
>>
>>1051016
>>probably gonna get some shit for this, but people who sit around looking over The Lonely Planet and just plan their entire trips from guidebooks
Why does this bug you? Do you ignore all the highlights of a country on some principle?
>>
>>1051016
You should spend less time disliking people brodude
>>
>>1051016
OP
>>
>>1051022

>literally just doing the exact same thing as everyone else
>>
>>1051026
>Not being a special and unique snowflake like OP
>>
>>1051028

OP here, I knew people were going to get butthurt about this thread. You cannot say "I don't like this about travel culture" without getting accused of being Le Real Traveler.
>>
>>1051016
>the guy so uninterested in travelling that he sits around thinking of groups of people he doesn't like
>>
>>1051030
Knowing people will say you're being tedious doesn't mean you're not tedious.
>>
>>1051030
Hrm, if you were trolling it'd be one thing, but you seemed seriously peeved about something with some reason. As yet you haven't explained what that reason is, just that, again, you expected it to bother someone that you had the opinion.

What is the reason someone on a guidebook offends you. Story about that to tell..?
>>
>>1051016
Man those flags don't actually look bad but they're so fucking cliché I couldn't bring myself to buy any
>>
Hippies and dudebros.
Also obviously wealthy old couples who get rooms in hostels when traveling because they're cheapskates.
>>
Haha guidebook hate has been triggering /trv/ for years.

I'm with OP on this one. Yeah guidebooks can be a useful accessory and I'll leaf through them when I find them sitting around, but in my opinion people who excessively plan around recommended locations are seriously missing out on some great experiences. But it's not a bad thing, by keeping so many people on the established tourist trail it means it's always going to be easy to find places where travelers are rare and you can have a genuinely good time with locals who are interested in you and aren't after your money.

>inb4 stale realtraveler meme
>>
>>1051034
>>1051026
>>1051028

OP again.

I didn't expect that people would get so upset. I'm definitely not trying to start a troll thread. None of the things I listed color me red with rage or make me automatically hate strangers - they're just things I guess I kind of roll my eyes at, for better or worse.

>>1051034

Similar to what I just wrote about, guidebooks don't "offend" me and I've gotten ideas from them in the past. It is just a personal preference. I was not trying to suggest in my original post that people who do the things that annoy me are bad travelers or bad humans. I am also not saying that my reasons or rationale are all valid. I just think it's goofy when folks plan their trips from only one source. I have seen this happen before - somebody will refuse to go somewhere because The Lonely Planet doesn't recommend it, or because they are following a popular, pre-planned circuit.

Again, this annoys me, but not to any great level. It is just a personal decision being made by somebody else.

I thought this thread could just be a fun opportunity for people to talk about some parts of "travel culture" they don't like or disagree with. I think we can all admit that we have been pricks at some point or another, or have even done some of the things we complain about!
>>
>>1051048

OP again. I am doing a big paper and have taken some Adderall, so I apologize if my posts sound stale or aren't well connected. This isn't the writing aide I thought it would be, but at least I'm getting shit done between 4chan posting bouts.

Anyway, definitely agree with you. I actually would not mind buying some flag patches for my backpack or bumper stickers for my car, but I think it looks tacky, and, like you said, is too cliche. I do think it could be a good conversation starter, though, so I suppose thinking about it helps me understand the reasoning better.

>>1051056

That's my perspective as well. I hardly know anything about the last country I visited, as I'd just booked a ticket on a whim. I borrowed a few LP books from folks I met in hostels and used those to give me a rough idea of places I "needed" to see. However, I think letting yourself get lost can be an adventure, too. I know everybody has different perspectives and time constraints.

Again, just want to re-emphasize that I don't *hate* people who do the things that "annoy" me. If you want to use a guidebook, fine, I'm not going to dwell on it or care very much. This is not r9k, I am not expecting people to give lists of things that make them sperg out followed by "reeeee fucking normies trying to get laid reeeeeee" or "TLP faggots ruining my real travel adventure reeeeee."

This is just for fun. Stories are appreciated, too, I will try to post some of mine.
>>
>>1051056
>he's a realtraveler
>>
>>1051016
>What kinds of travelers do you automatically dislike?
People who spend more time getting wasted (booze or drugs) than actually seeing the place they're visiting.
>>
File: 1319804397551.jpg (32 KB, 580x530) Image search: [Google]
1319804397551.jpg
32 KB, 580x530
>>1051072
>he travels for reasons other than major tourist attractions
>he's a realtraveler
>yfw
>>
File: OK.jpg (13 KB, 354x309) Image search: [Google]
OK.jpg
13 KB, 354x309
>>1051075
I didn't even know it was a meme until you inb4'd it, but I stand behind my use of it.
>>
>i dont want to do what everyone else does!
Reality check: anything or any place you can think of has been done before. You are not special or unique no matter what you do. So why not see something extraordinary instead of the, you know, ordinary?
>>
>>1051079
Feel free to explain why, of course. I'd be legitimately interested to know.
>>
>>1051080
SHUT UP THEY'RE SPECIAL
>>
>>1051080
>>1051084
The butthurt is palpable. I never could understand why you people who make these arguments (and you are a dime a dozen) could never deal with the idea that other people find your concept of travel unfulfilling. Just accept it and move on, and maybe contribute to the thread.
>>
>>1051087
People like op are always the ones who start this shit.
WAH WHY DO YOU VISIT POPULAR MAINSTREAM PLACRS? I DONT LIKE YOU

And the response is usually "ok enjoy those spiritual mudhuts lol"

Also youve done nothing to rebuke my argument or contribute
>>
>>1051092
I think everybody understand the opposing arguments, that's been done to death already. The point is, if you wrote something like "people who think they're superior for going off the beaten track" in this thread (which is literally the point of it) I wouldn't be jumping up and down in a rage, I'd think it was a fair point.
>>
>>1051102
>I think everybody understand the opposing arguments, that's been done to death already
What are the opposing arguments to using a guidebook to plan a trip? I can't think of any and still waiting to hear why someone would be in a rage over that or even "dislike" that kind of person.

I can see it wouldn't be the only thing a person might do, since they're not that current for festival or restaurant info, but what is wrong with seeing the merits of a place that made it into a guidebook?
>>
>>1051016
>Australians
>Chavvy Stag parties in Czech Rep.
>patchouli smelling motherfuckers
>white middle class tourists from texas
>schoolgroups in museums
>Chinese
>People finding their roots in their"home country" in which maybe 7-8 generations ago their family left.
> Church Groups
>Spring Breakers
>Backpackers
> Trust fund kiddies
>Tour bus groups
>DudeBros
>Myself
>>
>>1051016
this exact list

I'd pitch in with them if there were no quality people around, but not otherwise

>mfw started in tourist traps, had patches, was always drunk, out for sex all the time
>sobered up, took patches off, started wearing normal clothes again

now I hit tourist attractions at the crack of dawn to avoid the rush, get back to the hostel to see if anyone interesting is there, go out for some daytime activities, back to the hostel, get everyone out for a bar crawl
>>
>>1051116
that about covers everyone man haha

stag parties I get
but otherwise that sounds like a list of people you wouldn't like anywhere

I took some trust fund kiddies around paris, showed them a thing or two
they were just new to travel and lucky with money, couldn't hold that against them
>>
>>1051032
this
>>
>>1051016
Backpacking SEA, I have to say Chinese tourists are the worst I've seen. They go everywhere in massive groups, constantly yell at each other, smell bad, and the worst is that you can tell they don't really care about traveling, most of them just play on their phones until they see something worthy of taking a selfie with to post on Chinese Instagram.

I just want to walk around a fucking stone forrest, but they won't shut the fuck up.

>"Who do you come here with?"
>"Nobody, I usually travel alone"
>"Oh, you are so arrogant"
>mfw
>>
>>1051026
I met a guy in a hostel once that prided himself on being in Paris for 2 months and never visiting the Eiffel Tower. He tried telling me how he wasn't really a tourist, then the next morning proceeded to grab his DSLR and backpack to go explore the city.

Don't be that guy pls.
>>
"guys I found this great bar tonight in the neighborhood." follow him... its a bar stuffed with people from our country and playing our music too and our sports.
>>
File: metwad.jpg (90 KB, 540x389) Image search: [Google]
metwad.jpg
90 KB, 540x389
I dont like this theme on trv. Taking photographs of rocks in Iceland is just as meaningful to one person as taking MDMA in Ibiza is to the next. We are all looking for something... We are all explorers. The most important thing is that you learn something from every experience that you have and every person that you meet.
>>
>>1051016
I have nothing against most travelers but I've come across some hippies who try to say their "peace and love" bullshit all the time. Really rubs me the wrong way as a conservative who doesn't see the world all rosy. I think it makes them look really stupid and naive. To be honest, I find bro-mates from Australia to be better people than these hippies.

The other thing I don't like about certain folks is just how cheap they try to be. I understand that not everyone is earning a nice "western" wage but if money is preventing you from fully enjoying your travels you need to save up more. It's particularly annoying when there's a group of people who meet in a hostel and some of them reject ideas because they don't have the budget for it. And I'm not talking about expensive things here as I'm usually a budget traveler, but a western budget traveler of $30-50 a day.

>probably gonna get some shit for this, but people who sit around looking over The Lonely Planet and just plan their entire trips from guidebooks

I have a certain view of this myself. I use guide books to give me ideas on what to do in a particular place. I find people who purposely skip major world attractions have their heads up their ass just just a little too much. I then mix up my days buy going to specific sites and also roaming around cities. I think if you travel half way around the world and miss out on seeing something awesome because you have to be so alternative then you're just an idiot.
>>
>>1051196
I doubt anybody is going to skip a major attraction just because they don't have their heads stuck in an LP 24/7. That isn't the debate.
>>
>>1051196
>And I'm not talking about expensive things here as I'm usually a budget traveler, but a western budget traveler of $30-50 a day
this, if you can't spare 50 bucks for an activity you're doing something wrong

>meet some people in Amsterdam, ask them what they want to do
>"Anything as long as it isn't expensive"
>they proceed to shoot down a bunch of ideas
>mfw we just end up walking around for a few hours and they proceed to spend 30$ on drugs in a coffee shop
dropped
>>
>>1051016

Why white travellers always have to climb mountains, have sex with the local. colonialism ended 50 years ago, you do not need to prove yourself.
>>
>>1051016
Basically anyone who thinks their way of travel or experience is "more superior"
Everyone should travel how they want,without judgment - whether that's spending the holiday at a Spa, 5 star hotels, hostels doing out reach work.

I was an overland guide for 3 years, in between I would do solo backpacking through Africa. I'm a white African, so often don't get seen as a local. I had to put up with some volunteer fags at a hostel talking about how their experience was so more superior than my clients (the overland truck was parked outside)

The reality was that the volunteer project they were working on was a money making scam, I knew some of the locals who'd advised the money ends up in one persons pocket and very little goes towards the project.

This pissed me off as I really tried to give my clients as an authentic experience as possible, showing them the tourist traps while also having a lot of spontaneous experiences and going with the flow.

I just finished my beer and went to bed.
>>
>>1051016

Aussies found in and around South East Asia.

Human. Trash.
>>
>>1051121
Now I've had at least one decent experience with a stag party. I was out on one of the northern lights tours from Reykjavik (I've been on too many only because its the best way to get out of the city at night without personal transportation)... The lights weren't gonna show, the bus dropped off 50 people in the middle of a dark frozen (probably -7 out) national park at like 10 pm. Suddenly got cloudy... Well fuck, might as well try and find some interesting people. British stag party invited me and some Canadian chick to come get trashed on all the booze they had... Proceeded to get politely drunk with a quiet few while chatting it up with a bunch of British grad students. Excellent time, thanks for the free whiskey... Always made it a point to bring a small bottle on tours after that. Not because I always drank, but because I could always offer a pull to someone who's jacket wasn't warm enough. Great conversation starter when its cold and boring...
>>
File: afval.jpg (89 KB, 600x399) Image search: [Google]
afval.jpg
89 KB, 600x399
>>1051216

>more superior than my clients (the overland truck was parked outside)
>overland truck

Why are those overland guided tour truck guys banned from staying at so many places throughout Africa? They have a terrible reputation, and deservedly so. They reminded me of Aussies. In Africa. African Aussies. African Aussies on Tour. In a truck. African Aussies on Tour in a Truck Through Africa.
>>
>>1051016
A lot of Americans in Europe can be really annoying.

Genrerally fine in Asia though, for some reason. No idea why Europe attracts these guys
>>
>>1051016
>muh Lonely Plebbers

Ayo hol up, we got a Real Traveller here.

Please tell us about your superior adventuring methods
>>
>>1051171
Let's be honest, we've all met That Guy.

Also, Rough Guide > Lonely Plebbet any day of the week. RG give you a lot of background to everything, gives you a much better feel for the place. Also, better maps iirc
>>
>>1051249

>butthurt TLPfag detected
>>
>>1051016
This says more about you than you realise.

Why would ANYONE give a fuck what ANYONE ELSE DOES with their leisure time?

And how could you automatically dislike someone?

You sound like the most judgmental wankrag on the planet.
>>
>>1051152
>I just want to walk around a fucking stone forrest
Shilin, Yunnan?

>>1051152
>Chinese tourists are the worst
I've met plenty of great Chinese tourists...and a few bad.

One guy was smoking in the dorm, maybe I had slept badly or had low blood sugar but it triggered me and I rammed his head into the non-smoking sign, bitched at him in broken chinese and threw him out of the dorm and made a point of shouldering into him every time I saw him for the next day that he was still there.

The two chinese qt3.14s in the dorm made friends with me and each other after that because they were pissed too, I still have them on wechat. They think it's hilarious that some asshole brought us all together. I'll go see one of them in a few weeks, should be great.

There are lots of great Chinese tourists, I met one guy in a dorm in Wuhan, then we met up again in Ningbo and went out for drinks, then when I got to his home in Inner Mongolia, he took me out for dinner and got me so wasted that he had to walk me back to my hotel room. Total bro. I had a great time in his city and it was all down to him.

Most of OP's list is bullshit.

The only traveller that his pissed me off recentlywas an Austrian that called every place AMAZING. REALLY NATURAL. REAL PEOPLE.

He did say that his English vocabulary was limited so he didn't really know more words to use to describe his feelings about things though.

>>1051196
>a western budget traveler of $30-50 a day
Most people who travel have some amount of money in an account and it's only going down as they travel. When it hits a certain level, they have to buy a flight and go home.

Saving a few bucks means an extra day on their trip.

Money is time for them.

>>1051227
>Always made it a point to bring a small bottle on tours after that. Not because I always drank, but because I could always offer a pull to someone who's jacket wasn't warm enough. Great conversation starter when its cold and boring
Yeah, I do that too. No regrets
>>
>>1051304
>>1051308

>why the fuck blah blah blah
>most of what OP says blah blah blah

Jesus fucking Christ. I'm not OP but lighten the fuck up. Are we on /trv/ or /pol/?

See: >>1051102. Some of you need to grow the fuck up. Post something interesting or tell a story or just hide the thread. I'm sick of how anybody who expresses a preference or general dislike for anything to do with other people is immediately derided as "le real traveler" by nutcases who just rant on and on about how silly people are for occasionally being a little judgmental.
>>
>>1051315
Is this satire?
>>
>I'm gonna get a lot of hate for this
>fuck you OP
>Y do u guise hate me ;_;

This fucking thread
>>
>>1051056
What if those locations are why you are traveling. Someone who doesn't care about how Franch people live but want to see the museums and monuments and historical sights?
>>
This one person I met while in Japan:
>chose a town at random to stay for a week
>claimed he did this to experience "real Japan"
>also wanted to be forced to speak/read Japanese instead of relying on English
I thought it a bit pretentious but fair enough, English signage can be distracting if you are trying to learn full-immersion style. Decided to get lunch with him:
>he wants ramen; point to a shop that says "麺" on the sign and ask if that's OK
>"what is it?"
>maybe he hasn't studied any kanji yet
>look at the menu, similar to pic except all written in hiragana and the prices are in written form (一二三四五 etc)
>"I can't read this"
>maybe he can just speak it??
>go inside and asked how many people by staff
>he looks at me for translation help
>later he asks me how to say various words in Japanese (today, tomorrow, morning)
The worst part is that I can imagine him going to that town and basically just alternating between hanging out in his room to hiking around, eating the same thing every day because he can't read or speak the language, then leaving and thinking it was the best part of his trip because he got to "experience how real Japanese live."

>>1051051
>obviously wealthy old couples who get rooms in hostels when traveling because they're cheapskates
I don't mind this if they socialize with other people. It really bothers me when groups (such as a couple or family) stay at a hostel and don't talk to anyone.
>>
File: bp68.jpg (119 KB, 400x300) Image search: [Google]
bp68.jpg
119 KB, 400x300
>>1051339
dropped pic
>>
>>1051339
Used to find those guys in China too.

Worst I found were a load of hippies paying shitloads to go build houses in Dulan in Taiwan. The locals clearly hated them, and they didn't have a single word of Mandarin between them, no fucking clue how they managed. To put that town in context, it was so overrun with pretentious westerners, there were not one but TWO white guys called Romain there
>>
>>1051224
This

The more I met aussies in China and Singapore, the less I liked them.

Now I live with an aussie in Europe and he's the nicest bloke I've ever met. No idea why SEA brings out the bogans
>>
I don't actually dislike Koreans abroad, but they are very, very boring in hostels
>>
>>1051364
Close and cheap
>>
it's not very productive to automatically dislike someone based on superficial characteristics
>>
>>1051364
>>1051372
Lower barrier of entry
>>
>>1051361
It's like people don't realize that locals live in metropolitan areas, too...

>>1051366
I think they may come off that way initially since they tend to just hang out quietly on the sidelines. The main issue is usually language; I haven't met many Koreans that can speak more than a few phrases in English but if you're willing to play some charades and exercise your second language skills they can be great company.
>>
>drinking in the hofbrauhaus in Munich today
>drunk guy from New Jersey starts conversation with me. Initially dreading being stuck with him, but he turned out to be kind of a bro
>get back to hostel
>only drunk, obnoxious Brits and Americans there, no interest in drinking with them

Huh, completely subverted my expectations
>>
>>1051016
I hate all the Americans that complain that people don't speak English. In Italy, in Spain, in Turkey, in China, in Germany, in Sweden, wherever. It turns from annoyance to fun when it turns out that the locals do speak (in some cases quite good) English, they just also hate the loud ignorant foreigner type, and refuse to help them in general.

Also Chinese are only really bad in groups, I've met many solo Chinese travelers who were great, though we obviously both had to avoid discussing certain topics and places. It got most awkwardly interesting when I met some half Han half Tibetan guy.
>>
Just like with Aussies, the closer you are to China, the worst the Chinese tourists are. They are a scourge on SEA. Especially Singapore, Malaysia, and Macau. (I know Macau is East Asia)
>>
>>1051411
Solo Chinese travellers are upper or upper middle class people who have usually had some exposure to western culture. Of course they are different from the small town Chinese who don't know a word of English and travel in groups.
>>
File: 800px-Tumba_de_Colon-Sevilla.jpg (244 KB, 800x1112) Image search: [Google]
800px-Tumba_de_Colon-Sevilla.jpg
244 KB, 800x1112
For me, guidebooks are just that — a guide. I might really get something out of looking at one. Perhaps it’ll tip me off to something that really interests me that I’ve never heard of before. Between those, /trv/, Wikitravel, word-of-mouth of my irl friends and ppl I meet along the way, and random wandering, this is how I do my thing.

Seems to work very well for me. Many adventures both off the beaten path and at the “must do once” things even though it’ll suck a little, like the Eifel Tower.

Pic = Columbus' remains in Seville, Spain.
>>
In all my years of travel I've somehow managed to never come across a Chinese tour group. I've had some pretty good times with solo travelling Chinese girls though, so they're still alright in my book.
>>
>>1051308
>physically attacking a chinese in his own country because he is living according to chinese customs

faggot
>>
>>1051445

I only have once.

>be me
>hitchhiking from London to Istanbul
>had been having a great time
>stayed with a family in Croatia for a few days
>one guy who had been visiting his relatives from Germany drove me across the Bosnian border so I wouldn't have to walk over the bridge
>easy get a ride six hours straight to Sarajevo, then find another a few days later towards Belgrade
>spend a week in Belgrade
>am hitchhiking to Sofia and then Istanbul
>at some rest station
>bus full of Chinese tourists
>really having a craving for a cigarette
>ask this really tough looking Chinese guy if I can have a cigarette
>I'm American so I speak perfect English but I wasn't sure if he'd understand so I tried in Serbian and made a gesture
>dude started tripping over himself backing up, looked terrified
>I'm just standing there like an idiot while this Chinese guy is practically run back to his group

>tfw I was a skeletor-tier skinnyfag
>tfw the first words my friends said to me after I came back from this long trip were, "Anon, you look like an African!"
>tfw I wasn't even poorly dressed
>tfw I was quite well dressed
>tfw this Chinese dude acted like I was a crazy gypsy murderer because I said two words to him in Serbian
>>
>>1051487
He just said their was a no-smoking sign in the room.
>>
It seems like all the Australias I've run into were loads of fun, especially the women.

>>1051215
Land colonialism, maybe, but somebody's gotta colonize some booty.

>>1051227
I should do this.

>>1051247
Europe is much more accessible to Americans, and romanticized. How many romantic comedies can you think of where someone takes a spur-of-the-moment trip to Paris or Amsterdam or something and falls in love? How many movies about Vietnam or China?

>>1051304
Because other people use their leisure time to disrupt my leisure time. If I like quiet walks in nature, loud people are infringing on that. If I like sleeping, assholes in the dorm are infringing on that. Also, people like you that automatically make judgement calls on people online. Top shelf, bruv.

>>1051308
ZhangJiaJie, homie. Yunnan is next on the list. Also, I yell at the smoking guys too. They're being assholes and they know it, even if they pretend they don't.

Also, I have met a very few solo Chinese backpackers, they've been good.

>>1051339
Yeah I've seen these guys before. Immersion is ok, but you need to know the basics first.

>>1051445
You met solo Chinese girls? That blows my mind, they never do anything alone.

>>1051016
Usually once a week I'll have a lazy day: sit around the hostel, indulge my Western food desires, watch movies, and that's the day that I read up on travel guides. wikitravel has good info on keeping costs down. Nothing wrong with setting up parameters to keep things flowing smoothly.
>>
>>1051016
People who pay to ride on cargo ships.
>>
>>1051532
Only two solo Chinese girls to be honest, but I ended up traveling/hooking up with them both for a period of time. 10/10 would recommend.
>>
>>1051366
why do they have absolutely 0 faith in their ability to swim? Everywhere I went in SEA in water where I couldn't touch the floor without submerging there was 10 Koreans for every westerner and every single one had a fucking life jacket on
>>
>>1051572
Chinese people are like this too, no idea why.

Also
>in hostel in Salzburg
>6 person dorm, only one other person there
>about a twenty different lotions on the desk, pink towel, big NYC baseball cap, stripey top, huge blue suitcase, Korean letters on everything
>aww yiss, has to be a Korea girl, no question
>turns out to be a guy
>me his skin routine was Bateman tier, took like 20 minutes

What the fuck is wrong with Korean men
>>
File: images (41).jpg (18 KB, 313x470) Image search: [Google]
images (41).jpg
18 KB, 313x470
>>1051586
>men
>>
>>1051589
I saw this on the recent images on the home page and thought it was a cute girl. But instead was cute boy. Fucking all goods.
>>
Speaking as someone who's been to Korea and whose gf is Korean...

Korean travelers really really piss me off.

They clump together the second they even catch a whiff of another Korean. This happens all the fucking time because Koreans are so distinctive you can spot them a mile off, they all dress the exact same and follow the same trends. We were playing spot the Korean tourist and my gf was laughing at how all the girls wear the exact same shoes that are fashionable in Korea at the moment, while she was wearing the exact same shoes herself.

They follow their guidebook like it's the fucking bible with no spontaneity whatsoever. If their guidebook can't help them they'll bring out their phone and look it up on naver. Rather than, you know, go explore or something. Naturally they all have a carefully itemised list of things they found on some Korean blog to follow. They spend their time pushing past panhandlers and Chinese tourist groups, then move onto the next country.

Korean society has also romanticised the FUCK out of everything European. And combined with their hivemind they all wander around following their guidebooks acting like they're on some sort of profound quest while they squeeze past hoardes of Chinese to catch a glimpse of the Mona Lisa.

Western tourists do this too it's thankfully not as widespread, I met some weird teenagers who eagerly showed me all their photos that were just them and their friends taking selfies infront of all the famous things. When they found out I was British they invariably excitedly told me they'd visited, and showed me a selfie of them infront of Big Ben or something. Then they went to the Eiffel Tower, got their selfie, and headed off to catch the train to Madrid. But at least it's not every single fucking Western tourist you meet and only a small selection.
>>
File: Don-Draper_2533120b[2].jpg (54 KB, 620x387) Image search: [Google]
Don-Draper_2533120b[2].jpg
54 KB, 620x387
>yoga tourists
>>
"I'm so fucking drugged out of my mind that my front has no idea my back is alive and vice versa" tourists in Amsterdam. Sample the stuff man, but know your limits.

Large groups of Asian tourists. They're inconsiderate, annoying, slow and in large numbers.

Americans who are only willing to eat Burger King or McDonalds.

People who claims they know shit about places they've actually only passed through by train or spent an hour waiting at the airport.

People who can't hear about a sight in a foreign country without stating they have something bigger/better/prettier at home.

Americans who only know they've "been to Europe".

People (often Russians) who spend their entire trip being drunk and bothering people.

I'mma have another sip of that hatorade now.
>>
>>1051532
>Because other people use their leisure time to disrupt my leisure time. If I like quiet walks in nature, loud people are infringing on that. If I like sleeping, assholes in the dorm are infringing on that. Also, people like you that automatically make judgement calls on people online. Top shelf, bruv.

EVERYONE hates those kinds of people.

Not once did you mention that in your OP. You actually went out of your way to say you dislike people with flags sewn to their bags. In fact, that was your first point.

People with flags sewn to their bags.

Seriously.

Are you fucking autistic? Yes, that's a judgement call. You're clearly unable to ignore the most minor of behaviours whilst you're travelling.
>>
>>1051532
>You met solo Chinese girls?
I was rage anon above, there were two solo girls there too. I meet solo Chinese girls and guys all the time.

>>1051523
>there was a no-smoking sign in the room
To be fair, ignoring no-smoking signs is part of the local culture, I assumed that's what anon meant. Still, the local girls didn't appreciate it.
>>
>>1051626

That flags sewn to their bags part was a bit of good ol' 4chan baiting I think. Stop taking it seriously, you sound agitated. I lol at people with those flags too and think it looks ridiculous and childish, but hate people for it? Nah.
>>
>>1051626

OP here, stop sperging out. I wasn't even the guy who made the post you're responding to, you fucking autist.
>>
>>1051016
People like op
>>
>>1051626
Oh come on, flags sewn on bags are objectively ridiculous. Before I first started travelling I had considered doing that because I thought it would be cool, but then decided it be a little bit ridiculous. Turns out i was right.
>>
One time my mother brought home a speaker from a traveller meet with talks. He was the classical white guy with dreadlocks, but what sealed the deal was when he started talking about which SEA military dictatorship he "personally felt most free" in.

A brick would know more about world politics than this guy. Hope he feels special.
>>
>>1051626
Haha, you're fucking weird. I'm not OP dude, you're just yelling at random people now.

>>1051629
I've got to keep an eye out for more solo travelers when I'm in Yinchuan next month. But for real, I hate the smoking indoors. They don't understand how rude they're being. There's guys smoking in the fucking showers in my gym in Xi'an, almost every day. Hopefully if I tell them I'm trying to quit they'll stop as a sign of respect, but I doubt it, people genuinely don't thinking smoking is bad in this country.

On another note, I hate the small groups of people who refuse to interact at the youth hostel. YH are great for making friends and swapping stories from around the world, yet some people will give me shitty looks when I wave them over to the group

>"Hey, pull up a chair! Do you want a beer? Where are you from?"
>Slight looks of disdain, "um no thank you"
>Walks to the other side of the common room, plays around on Instagram for the next 4 hours
>Makes new post on her eatpraylove knockoff blog about how magical her trip is.
>>
>>1051016
90% of backpackers.
Generally everyone below the age of 25.
>>
Old aussies are 50% shit, 50% bro-tier.

To that old aussie cunt that sneezed and spattered snot on my hand, then giggled about it in Sorya Mall yesterday, I hope the bargirl you picked up gives you VD.
>>
>>1051885
>find a ridiculously comfy British hostel in Chiang Khong on the Thai-Laos border
>owner lets me stay for free because I'm English and we got on
>day before I leave an old Aussie bloke who has a new 25 year old Thai hooker every week is friends of the owner parks his bike outside and hangs his t-shirt up on it
>he goes inside and a dog starts pissing all over his t-shirt
>everybody who saw it is crying with laughter

one of the funniest things i've ever seen
>>
>>1051613
>People who can't hear about a sight in a foreign country without stating they have something bigger/better/prettier at home.

By Odin's beard, this!
>>
>>1051195

I like this post, unpretentious and underrated.
>>
>>1051850
>I've got to keep an eye out for more solo travelers when I'm in Yinchuan next month
One of them will probably be me.
>>
>>1051613
>People who can't hear about a sight in a foreign country without stating they have something bigger/better/prettier at home.

Or who feel the need to try and one-up everyone.

I met this guy from California a while back, who was bragging about how he'd traveled around the world finding work by using a fake degree. If you'd almost gotten stabbed in Tahrir Square, well gosh darn it, he'd had a rocket fly into his window in Libya. Kidnapped by al-Qaeda in Yemen? He'd had the Kyrgyz secret police rape his Russian supermodel girlfriend and torture him for ten weeks.

He was this long-haired surfer type. Probably one of the top five most obnoxious people I'd ever met in my life.

Most travelers I've met are laid-back and take and tell stories without feeling the need to come off as special snowflakes. This dude just wanted everyone to know how fucking special he was. If you mentioned that the hostel toilet was jammed, he'd have used that as an opportunity to blow you away with his retelling of the time he'd had to eat his way through ten stories of cow shit to save an Indian village from their well drying up.
>>
I avoid pretty much all of the gripes listed ITT just by not being a poor piece of shit.

Seriously, most of you travel like scum-class slavshits and then get fanny flustered over having to deal with typical hostel stereotypes.
>>
I hate Peruvian trekking guides the most. Not really sure why, they seem like good guys but there's something off about them...
>>
>>1051889
Is that the place with the bar? There is a sideroad off the main road and it says like 'British bar 300m' or something?
The guy was a scouser or a Geordie or something if I remember right
>>
>>1051946
Righto Buzz Killington.
>>
Actually, I've changed my mind, I DO hate Koreans.

They're inconsiderate, autistic bitchbois
>>
>>1051024
Agreed
>>
>>1052095
What happened bro, story? Are you in a hostel now with some Koreans that are getting on your nerves or something?
>>
I don't understand the people carrying a 70l backpack and another attached to their front.

How much shit do you fucking need to carry?
>>
>>1051946

You just exposed yourself as an angsty kid that has never actually traveled outside of the Western world. Newsflash: in loads of countries there are no hotels outside of the capital. You pussy, git gud.
>>
>>1052123
>: in loads of countries there are no hotels outside of the capital. You pussy, git gud.
Yea, no.

It's just people being really cheap.
>>
>>1051057
>what kinds of travelers do you automatically dislike
>guidebooks don't "offend" me it is just a personal preference
Nice backpedaling. You sound like an arrogant, insufferable cunt OP - arguably worse than the people you're complaining about. You could have summed this whole thread up with "I don't like people in hostels who do things that are universally considered to be obnoxious."
>>
>>1052146

>taking the thread this seriously

Please leave.
>>
>>1051195
well said, to each their own
>>
>>1051247
Simple economics. SEA is dirt cheap both day to day and to get to and from for Australians so it brings out the scum lower class. There also issn't enough shit to fuck up besides Ibiza and Berlin in Europe for those types to even reach for
>>
>>1051915
My experience with south americans (read: rich yuppies) is 50% nice people who understand their background and 50% BUENOS AIRES IS THE GREATEST PLACE ON EARTH scum
>>
>>1052128
Has it ever occurred to you that someone might CHOOSE to stay in a hostel so they can interact more with other travellers?
>>
>>1051418
>when your m8 arrive with the keg
>>
>>1051850
>Walks to the other side of the common room, plays around on Instagram for the next 4 hours
>Makes new post on her eatpraylove knockoff blog about how magical her trip is.
Fuck, wish this wasn't true. But it sounds so right. People just trying to quickly cross off there check list and fill up their blogs as fast as possible. Try there hardest to make everything look like they are having a blast and are not miserable. The only people they fool are the ones who haven't travelled and just read blogs. But you can't really hate them for not joining in. Some people enjoy being alone more than in a group. Or you can be giving off a really bad vibe or whatever.
>>
People who have sex in the hostels. My dick gets real hard. So i have to fap on to my towel. I usually try to fap a little aggressively and moan a little so they can know I acknowledge them or their being ass holes.
>>
>>1052271
You must be fun at parties. If you can't deal with people having sex in dorms, don't stay in dorms.
>>
>>1052274
Yea having sex at three in the morning making the bed squeak and moaning like horse is very nice. Snoring I get it's not much they can do. Even the sex isn't much about the noise unless it's right above me. It's the fact that it makes real hard and than I can't fall asleep.
>>
>>1052274
What kind of parties do you go to? And how come I never get invited to the ones where witnessing people having sex all over the place becomes an issue?

(Frank sighs...)
>>
>>1052275
Obviously you can have sex in an assholish way (making excessive noise), but I'm always considerate and unobtrusive when I do the deed. If the option is there I'll fuck in an empty common area or large bathroom, but those aren't always available options.
>>
>>1052274

Kind of agree with this. People having noisy sex can be annoying, but I don't expect privacy or respect when I stay in dorms - which is, honestly, the reason why I always try to get a private room when there's an affordable option.
>>
>>1051532
I've met a few Chinese girls traveling solo... In female-only dorms of hostels.

I'm like two mouse clicks away from booking a ticket to Chengdu and back from Kunming, decisions, decisions. Chile vs China (again), China vs Chile.

>>1051609
lol spot the Korean tourist is my favorite game the past few years. They really dress the same, and if not, you can still recognize them by the haircut or skin care.
I happen to have some Korean friends/acquaintances, the most hilarious is when they ask me something (travel related), I respond.... And then they go on and cross-check on naver whatever I said. Then it's always the genuinely surprised "how did you know? how can you be so smart?" reaction. Like seriously, you know me for years, you know I travel a lot, trust me half as much as your latest Samsung phone, please. /rant
>>
>>1052285

sound a little too into yourself, bro
>>
>>1051224
Haha we have a culture of tasteless, lower-class yobs who only travel to Thailand, Vietnam and Indonesia (Bali), thinking that getting drunk/high and being racist/obnoxious in these countries is something of a coming-of-age tradition in their young lives; a pilgrimage. They're called bogans - they're a kind of unique Australian fusion of American rednecks and British chavs. Luckily, these are the only places you'll meet them.
>>
>>1051016
>>the dude who's been staying in the same hostel for two months and thinks he's an expert on the country
I did that this summer, but I changed hostels every few days, and I actually knew a lot about the city because I'd lived there for a year beforehand.
>>
I love hanging out with some Americans. The x-tians though. Fucking hell.

You could be talking to anyone, and they seem kind of normal, then they start mentioning:
>my pastor
>my church
>this here good book that I don't leave home without

I mean, we all know that you are basically Taliban with money, but how about keeping your faith to your fucking selves?
Gandhi comes to mind:
>"I like your Christ. I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ"
Or as some Anon said
-"where can you find a lion when you need one?"
>>
>>1051339
IMO one of my favorite parts about traveling is playing menu roulette and not knowing what you're gonna get but I'm not going to pretend to understand the language when I don't
>>
>>1051939
Yeah, I fucking hate "toppers". Just enjoy things for what they are instead of turning it into some stupid competition no one cares about.
>>
>>1054419
Dang, you're braver than me.
Thread replies: 127
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.