[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's up, guys? What can I do in Fort Lauderdale? I'm
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
File: 12345.jpg (381 KB, 1353x763) Image search: [Google]
12345.jpg
381 KB, 1353x763
What's up, guys?

What can I do in Fort Lauderdale? I'm flying to Mexico City in March and have stops in FLL on the way there and back. My layover is ten hours and I'm an American citizenship, so I won't have to waste time clearing customs on my first arrival and then on my second departure.

Is it possible to visit Miami? Is there anything I can comfortably doing carrying around a small backpack, which will be my only luggage?

Feel kind of stupid because I've traveled a ton but haven't been to Florida since I was 5. I have no idea what to do there.
>>
>>1050803
I live in Lauderdale, what day/times will you be here.
>>
>>1050990

March 2nd from about 7am until 6pm and March 16th during the same time range.
>>
>>1050803
hmmm thats kind of rough a wensday during business hours. If your try to see stuff then just yolo it southbeach. If you'd rather chill lauderdale has a nice beach as well and food.
>>
I'd say just relax on the beach and grab lunch somewhere. FLL doesn't really have much to do, it's more like one of those "spend a week kinda doing nothing" holiday destinations.
>>
and if you end up eating in lauderdale for lunch/dinner awesome locally place called southport raw bar get the dolphin sandwich and the oysters southport.... freaking hungry
>>
>>1050803
It's a little expensive to head to S. Miami Beach, just mileswise, and it's a little foolish to do so during rush hour for a same day flight. You could, but it's not necessary.

A metric ton of tourists go from FTL to port everglades cruises daily, so you'll be able to google taxi prices for a trip to that area. If you can overnight in FL, welllll....everything to do for a great layover where nightlife is really the draw. But, daytime, not so much pedestrian traffic, might even feel a bit like a homeless person. Alternately, go to Hollywood for food can hit up a couple things in Dania not too far from the airport, from Jaxsons ice cream to a raw bar like Turks to other food, and maybe a little sightseeing (not alot!). A little farther but would be easiest to get dropped off at fort lauderdale riverwalk area near the Performing Arts Center, the beach hasn't much sand and not as popular but it's walking distance and could Uber it too. There's a few nice museums close to Riverwalk, from historic Stranahan House to great Science to Art, shopping, enjoy some cafes and proud local food choices and maybe enjoy a bit of sun with al fresco dining. The backpack is absolutely fine and not awkward. It's business hours, and you'll look like an IT guy. Gonna need your wits about you against some of the low income. You're going to have to be back at the airport by 4 for checkin, and you might calculate heading back by 3 to precede some rush hour issues, just to be safe. Now if money is no object and you don't need much to entertain yourself, I might just let a taxi take me to a seafood restaurant on the intracoastal, drink it up and enjoy some stone crabs...for hours! People watch the water community. Whatever you like to do, I think at 6hours you can certainly leave that airport.

Check out New Times, Yelp, Tripadvisor, sun-sentinel, eater and others for food/activity reviews
>>
>>1051027
Now for the DF, my favorite restaurant when I used to take friends to the zona rosa is La Fonda de Refugio which has a lot of old time traditional foods, or take the drive out to the San Angel Inn. I like dining where Presidents have been whenever I visit a country, plus there is a newish Frida museum on the same street which is a must see. I adore VIPS (which is like the mexican dennys) for molletes in the morning, something you rarely see on US mexican menus, and their version of sopa de tortilla azteca.

Don't forget to view the bulletholes in the American flag they took from the Alamo when you do the Castillo tour in Chapultepec or to see the massive Egyptian collection in the natural history museum (Egypt wants their stuff back!).
>>
>>1050803
miami is only a 20 minute train away on the tri rail, id suggest doing that over stay in ft lauderdale the whole day, there is much more to do in miami
>>
>>1051352
>>1051027
>>1051029

Thanks for the feedback! The Tri-Train definitely seems like a good option, since the fares are pretty cheap and it runs multiple times every day. Will there be a lot to do in Miami during business hours? Is it a walkable city?

Funny how I feel comfortable AF going to Mexico City but I'm stressing about how to get around FLL and Miami, lol. I'm just used to having a car in the United States.
>>
>>1051352
>miami is only a 20 minute train away on the tri rail, id suggest doing that over stay in ft lauderdale the whole day, there is much more to do in miami
The trains run just shy of every hour..plus the shuttle to the train, each way. Plus a transfer to metrorail, and that right, and then it's only Miami downtown, which isn't really a highlight of Miami at all, except for Bayside. Might get a little boat ride, and shopping, bite to eat. Be careful to/from the metro (really sketchy now at Govt Center. It's a bit of a shuttle bus+train+metro+people mover hassle for such a short layover and the farther you get from FTL, the higher the risk to miss the flight home.

I do vote OP adds a layover night instead!
>>
>>1051406
Miami is NOT a walkable city. If memory serves me right the Tri-Rail Miami stop is in a sketchy as fuck part of town, and I guess you can take a taxi from there to South Beach but it'll probably cost you around $50? Uber would probably be your best bet.

I wouldn't recommend it for only a few hours of SoBe exploration time. Stick to FLL.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.