[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
New York
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2
File: 473665.jpg (554 KB, 1366x768) Image search: [Google]
473665.jpg
554 KB, 1366x768
I don't usually post here so feel free to send me to a pre-existing thread for questions like this or something but here we go

My girlfriend and I will be in NYC (We are from Melbourne, Australia) from the 20th of December until the 10th of January.

So far we have booked tickets for a broadway show and a couple of sports games along with purchasing a NYC pass to do all the main tourist shit (Empire state etc.)

Any tips from locals to do not so touristy stuff or people who have been there during the winter for a vacation before and can tell us what you enjoyed/reccomend?

Cheers
>>
Will be there over Christmas too.

I'm kinda at a loss myself, will be monitoring this thread as well.
>>
File: rockefeller plaza christmas.jpg (77 KB, 617x347) Image search: [Google]
rockefeller plaza christmas.jpg
77 KB, 617x347
>>1050523
>>1050527
Also since you're going with your gf I would recommend Rockefeller center. During the Christmas time they turn it into a ice skating plaza, I'm sure if you have ever watched a romantic movie set in NYC you have probably seen it before. Go rent a pair of skates and spend some time on the ice with all the other tourist couples.
>>
>>1050528
This was definitley on the agenda, cheers. Going to check if it operates on Christmas Day since we're not sure what will and will not be open

They do say the city never sleeps though right?
>>
>>1050529
If the subway is operating it means shit is open

BTW the subway runs 24/7 365

tl;dr yes

>I'm sure there will be some closures here and there. The tall office buildings that people are attracted to will be closed or have limited service. I'm sure there will be shops open later into the day. When the city does sleep it doesn't sleep for very long. Unlike some cities in Australia. Visited Perth and Adelaide and those cities are dead after 8pm lel.
>>
>>1050531
Neat, Thank you

Why would you visit Perth or Adelaide though, I've lived here 22 years and still haven't gone to either
>>
>>1050532
When I was in Australia I just wanted to see more than just Sydney and Melbourne. Don't know why, they weren't particularly interesting but it is nice to leave the tourist crowds from time to time.

Maybe we might run into each other in NYC and never know. Anyways have a nice trip. It will definitely be different from anything you've experienced in Australia (for better or for worse).
>>
>>1050528
w-what if you can't ice skate well?

>tfw can only glide to a stop
>>
AirBnB in Brooklyn. Enjoy that hipster hotbed.
>>
That trip is a little in the last-minute Christmas shopping season. Things will be kind of frantic in and near stores, but Macy's has particularly good window displays.

If you have warm clothing, the Staten Island Ferry is a good free way of seeing the harbor, including the statue of Liberty. If you don't have warm clothing, you would want to stay inside the boat, and the view wouldn't be as good.

If you are willing to spend money, the New York City Ballet production of The Nutcracker is pretty good.
>>
>>1050523
Christmas in NY has gorgeous displays, from Macys to the just about everything. You're going to want to walk along or through the park too. I'd pay my respects at Strawberry Fields, maybe get an eggnog at tavern on the green. Hit all the major museums, maybe find a nice lecture going on at NY film society one afternoon or night, Would be bold, but might enjoy the circle line tour around manhattan, esp at a time of day where you get both day and night.
>>
>>1050523
>>1050707
As an NYC resident, I agree with what this anon said. Central Park in NYC is gorgeous, Museum Mile (5th avenue basically, right on the east side of Central Park) and the rest of 5th ave (high end shopping with gorgeous displays and lights) is very very festive. Manhattan is great for the Holidays, maybe I'll see you around and take you on a tour!
>>
See what shows are on at the ucb theatre when you're there, there are some good ones
>>
>>1050523
not OP but also planning to go soon. any particular places that are must-sees not mentioned. I'd like to add that I love dim sum but am appalachian so its not easy to find. whats the best ching chong dumpling house in NYC?
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.