[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Moving to Detroit
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 7
File: Detroit-problems.jpg (127 KB, 864x576) Image search: [Google]
Detroit-problems.jpg
127 KB, 864x576
I have the opportunity to move to Detroit. I could have a job there doing what I do now and make $40/hr+ on the check, $60/hr+ total. I always hear about how awful Detroit is, but considering I could do a lot more with my money there, is it really that awful? Are there any interesting, somewhat vibrant neighborhoods, or is the whole place an abandoned crime filled wasteland?
>>
B-bump
>>
File: bilde.jpg (23 KB, 640x361) Image search: [Google]
bilde.jpg
23 KB, 640x361
Grew up in Detroit, left in 2008 when things were at their worst, but I visit at least once a year and all my family and friends are still there. The city is definitely coming back. Where you live depends on what you are looking for. There are great affluent neighborhoods, nice blue collar areas, young hipster areas. What type of place are you interested in living in? What are some of your hobbies? Where are you working and how far do you want to travel?

Let me know, OP, would love to help.

Pic related, Belle Isle - fucking awesome.
>>
u gon die boy
>>
>>1050270
Since Belle Isle is now a State Park and has security I may consider going there. I've only been there a few times in winter (less black people) to feed the midget deer they have there.
>>
>>1050270
Does Detroit have any cyberpunk places I can visit?
>>
>>1050002
Don't buy gas in the city. You WILL get carjacked eventually.
>>
>>1050280
It is awesome since it was taken out of City hands. Still a lot of work to be done, but the state did a great job getting the riff raff out and making it a place everyone can enjoy again.
>>
>>1050285
clearly you don't understand how the market works
this is the last thing you want, state parks shouldnt even exist
>>
>>1050303
Clearly you were never to belle isle before the state took control.
>>
File: CMuw1MAUwAAidv0.jpg (25 KB, 540x534) Image search: [Google]
CMuw1MAUwAAidv0.jpg
25 KB, 540x534
>>1050303
This post is retarded
>>
Much of the problem with Detroit is the actual city of Detroit, not the area. Detroit is kind of a rectangle that's about 14 miles wide and 10 miles tall. There's 4 million people still in the area, they just don't live in the actual city.

All of the white people who stayed in the area moved, mostly to the north west of the city. You can live in a ok neighborhood there, and work in the city. Look up places like Sterling Heights or Troy.
>>
>>1050270
I am a sprinklerfitter, and my trade pays well for the area. I would be working all over the metro, not sure where the majority of the work is now, it's either service, retrofit, or new construction of high density apartments or commercial/industrial buildings.

I'm not sure what sort of neighborhood I'd like to live in, a young hipster neighborhood sounds cool, but I could also fit in with a working class crowd. If I could afford it, I wouldn't be opposed to a wealthy neighborhood. What is downtown like? Do you know anyone living in a condo there? Are there nice restaurants in the area?

I like outdoor activities, and I'm not sure how much of that Detroit has to offer.
>>
>>1050422
I have a friend who lives in a nice apartment downtown. He really enjoys it, and is able to walk and bike to a lot of places close by.

The biggest hipster areas that I know are Royal Oak and Ferndale area. They offer a nice mix of local bars and restaurants with neighborhoods. It can be pricey though.
>>
>>1050476
Careful of Ferndale though. It's infected with the gays.
>>
>>1050422
Hamtramck's not a bad spot either. Lots of Wayne State kids who's parents aren't rich stay out there so it's pretty hip and safe (though obviously not as safe as the suburbs like Royal Oak and Troy). Apartments are absurdly cheap and it's pretty close to all the major suburban towns as well as Detroit itself.
>>
>>1050476
But that's not the story we want to hear tho
>>
>>1050422
>>1050483

I do want to take a moment to point out that most of the city really wouldn't be safe to live in. Detroit has its pockets of good, bad, and in-between, but it is not a beautiful or rejuvenated place. Is Greektown alright? Yeah. Is Downtown safe? Yeah. Are there are a number of scattered, pretty enclaves? Sure.

But that aside, it has a terrible reputation for a reason. I live in Michigan and I have to go there from time to time. It's really not a pleasant place, and most people I know who grew up within the city limits don't talk about Detroit in the same positive, glowing, and optimistic terms that young students and working professionals do. That's because a lot of these professionals live in a bit of a bubble that's isolated from the rest of the city, which is massive in size and largely dilapidated.
>>
>>1050487
Even then, last summer I was in greektown (safe ol greektown!) and heard what I thought was just a car backfiring; nope, someone getting shot in 5 guys at 3 in the afternoon.

I definitely agree that the people who like Detroit the most are the people that can just take the highway through the ghetto and pop out in midtown or downtown where there's either a cop car every mile or literally nothing.
>>
File: Taylor dawg.jpg (39 KB, 550x446) Image search: [Google]
Taylor dawg.jpg
39 KB, 550x446
Get a nice little place in Taylor.
>>
>>1050576
I currently live in Taylor. There are worse cities out there. I've also lived in Romulus, Southgate, Groose Ile, and Toledo.
>>
>>1050581
>>1050576
Some years ago, Taylor high school had a 24 year old playing running back for them. They got in some trouble for that.
>>
have fun...
>>
I live in Bloomfield Township now, I used to live in Redford. Bloomfield is pretty expensive and nearly an hour away but Redford borders Detroit and is honestly quite nice. I rent my old house out now and this past winter my old neighbor called me to come shovel the snow on the sidewalk in front of my house. My house was the only one on the whole block that hadn't been shoveled and it looked bad so of course I did it a few times. Meanwhile, in my much more affluent area, no one does shit to public sidewalks it's unusual not the norm like Redford. Attractive brick houses and within easy commuting distance to Detroit.

The core of downtown detroit is quite nice now. Get much outside of that tho, and it is awful, sketchy niggers, dilapidated old buildings and pitted roads with no services.
>>
File: -.png (4 MB, 1568x971) Image search: [Google]
-.png
4 MB, 1568x971
The Downtown Core, the Midtown area immediately north of it, and the area between the River Walk and Jefferson Avenue along the Detroit River are all acceptable areas. Especially along the River Walk areas, there are lots of trendy lofts for sale in old re-purposed brick factory buildings.
>>
I lived there for most of my childhood and young adult life in the string of towns along the west side of I-275: Canton, Plymouth, Northville, and Novi. They are dictionary definitions of middle-class to upper-middle-class Whitedom. There are zero gangs there. There is the occasional spoiled rich White kid that dresses in Fubu, but that's as bad as it gets.

Even if you are in one of the closer suburbs to Detroit like Dearborn Heights, which borders it directly, you still won't have many problems. I lived there briefly as well when I was in 3rd grade, and I would walk about a half-mile from my house to school everyday by myself and never had any issues, and this was in 1991-1992 when violent crime in Detroit itself spiked.
>>
File: Untitled.png (509 KB, 1920x810) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
509 KB, 1920x810
These maps showing recent census data related to ethnicity and poverty will help you, as well:

They aren't letting me post the links, but you can find them by Google "NY Times Census Map."
>>
beep beep
>>
>>1050002
>$40/hr+ on the check, $60/hr+ total

May I ask what you do?
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.