[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Sweden
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 2
File: sweden-07.jpg (4 MB, 3888x2592) Image search: [Google]
sweden-07.jpg
4 MB, 3888x2592
Hello /trv/

I'm flying to Sweden in December to visit my girlfriend and her family for a month. I'm American and I've already gotten my passport, but there are quite a few things i'm concerned about.
The first is that we're both only 19.
The second is that I've never flown before.
The third is that I'm going to be visiting for a whole month with probably only carry-on luggage.
The fourth is that by the time i leave ill have only about $1200-$1300 and no credit cards.

What I'm mostly concerned about are some of the possible issues i might run into with border control and such. I'm worried that it might turn heads when someone as young as me is attempting to stay a whole month in a foreign country with a girl I've never met without sufficient funds/no credit card and only having carry-on luggage with me. I feel like this will all create a few red flags and i really don't want to be denied entry due to insufficient funds (or any other reason really)

I really just want to know if any of you think I'll have a hard time travelling and what i can do to fix those possible problems.
I'm flying from the US to a layover in London to Gothenburg if that matters any.

Sorry if i come across as naive in any way. This is all just so new to me.Thanks.
>>
You'll be fine with or without a passport. But why only a carry-on?
>>
>>1048913
I'm sorry, but what do you mean I'll be fine without a passport?

I don't really want to have too many bags to fuss around with and get past security with. My girlfriend's family has spare clothes i can borrow so i figure it'd be fine to pack some of my own clothes + other essential stuff and be fine throughout my stay. I might end up packing more though if it seems odd that ill be travelling for so long with so little.
>>
>>1048915
No idea why he said that. But you have your passport, you should be all set. Euro border guards generally don't question visitors, unlike America. If they do, just tell them honestly your plans. You really should have nothing to worry about from them.
>>
>>1048916
That's nice to hear, although something I realize I forgot to add is that this will also be our first time meeting, so I wasn't sure if they'd be concerned about me if things don't work out between her and I (which I'm extremely confident that that won't be a problem, but border control can't be as sure as me)

Thanks for your reply.
>>
>>1048915
I'd pack more clothes, you're going to be there for a month.
>>
>>1048918
It's not America or Israel. If your papers are in order, chances are you will just be stamped and let through without any questions. That's not a 100% guarantee of course, but many normal visitors are just stamped in without any fuss.
>>
File: Suomen_lippu_valokuva(2).png (158 KB, 470x600) Image search: [Google]
Suomen_lippu_valokuva(2).png
158 KB, 470x600
When you are visiting Sweden be sure to also visit Finland, seriously. ( Helsinki is the best )
>>
>>1048926
Alright.
Can anyone recommend a general amount? I've watched/read several things about packing and there are some guides on how to pack enough for around a month with only carry-on, but if there's a specific amount to bring it would be nice to know.

>>1048928
Can you specify what you mean by papers? I was intending to bring papers of my itinerary and traveler's insurance from Priceline and a bank statement just in case. I'm not sure what else i should have. Unless you mean paperwork i fill out while i'm there? Again, I'm pretty new to this so i'm sorry if that was dumb to ask.

>>1048932
Funny you should mention that since she and her family are actually finnish. It seems like a pretty nice country to visit. I'm not sure if we will while im there, but if everything goes right that'll be somewhere we'll visit together one day.
>>
>>1048936
>dumb to ask

He meant your passport. As long as your passport is current (won't expire until at least 6 months after your return to the US) and you have an onward/return plane ticket out of Sweden you're unlikely to have any problems whatsoever. The other "papers" you plan to carry are nice but probably useless. As the other anons have assured you, you won't have any problems getting into the country -- you should instead worry about what you'll do if things don't work out with this girl and/or her family.
>>
>>1048932
There is literally nothing to do in Helsinki. Who are you trying to fool?
>>
>>1048965
What about soaking in Finnish culture?
>>
>>1048902
You have enough time to get a bank of america account with a debit card stamped with Visa right on it.

A carry-on bag is tight for 7 days, in my opinion, might be more like 5 days for me. If winter clothing, even less. But, no one assumes you need clothes for 1 month. You need clothes for 7 days and you do laundry after that. Will you be able to do that? Of course you will. They do that at home too. Bring things that you don't mind others seeing when being washed. Clean/new socks, undies, etc. I'd have as much clothing as you can fit in there without washing of course, so you have options to do outdoors activities like a hike, or some walk in the evening in town or after a dinner to windowshop. Be able to handle a breeze if cold, or drizzly. I'd suggest wool blends, or 3-in-1 options. A great couple pairs of thick hiking socks for making shoes warm, and boots comfortable. I'd be sure they have stuff you can borrow like great scarf, hat and such, but old navy will handle that too. Get a jacket that will let you zip those items into pockets and it won't fill a carry-on further.

When staying with another family, I'd bring a gift from home. Local honey. Black walnuts. Very nice cookies or something known regionally from what part of the country you live in, of course.
>>
>>1048902
omg

You have to watch the show "Welcome to Sweden".
I imagine your stay to be like that. Without the Will Ferrell part.
>>
>>1048965
Well It is the best place in Finland to visit, and there is as much to do as in Stockholm or any other Swedish city.
>>
>>1049033
Definitely not true. Lapland is the most interesting place to visit in Finland, Helsinki is just an expensive mid-size city with few attractions.
>>
>>1049033
Helsinki and Lapland can both be fun. Jesus, guys.

OP, I'm curious: how the hell did you meet your girlfriend?
>>
Is checked luggage free on your airline? Pack a bag to put under the plane. As someone said it is easy to get into European countries. The entry visas are good for 3 months and given during customs as a stamp. They will just look at your passport and maybe ask you the purpose of your visit.
>>
You'll need to keep her phone number, her address and name with you in case the customs ask for it, even if it is very unlikely. If she's picking you up, they'll just let you pass through.
>>
>>1048918
shes your gf but you've never met, wtf? arranged marriage?

how weird

also not enough money and
likewise not traveling with proper luggage for a month as you dont want to go thru security, checked luggage doesn't go thru security with you present idiot. you check it in and its scanned separately to you.

what are you trying to hide?

this all sounds very suspect.
>>
>>1048932
kek visit helsinki.

boring as fuck with the most miserable people on earth (i would be too if i was a nazi/soviet cross)
>>
>>1048995
kek
>>
why are so many people on here so autistic...or have i answered my own question
>>
>>1049021
>You have to watch the show "Welcome to Sweden".
ROFL. I was thinking the same thing.

OP, you have to know this is a bit odd, right? Her parents are okay with you? Is that clear? Also, do you have the funds to immediately return home if this doesn't work out in a day or two?
>>
>>1048962
I see, i thought it was a little odd when he said "papers." Was just making sure. Thanks for the reply.

>>1048996
Thanks for all the info, I appreciate it.

>>1049021
Yeah i heard about that show, maybe i will watch it.

>>1049058
Funny enough it was a chat site sort of place years ago. I didn't think anything of it really, but a bit over a year ago we were really hitting it off and found that there's a lot we have in common. It got to the point shortly after where we were on mic/webcam for hours almost everyday and it's still been like that. We were thinking about the earliest time i would be able to visit her way back earlier this year, and I figured I'd be able to make enough by about this time and i have.

>>1049080
Yeah, i was intending to do that as well just in case.

>>1049094
Things are a bit different for us Ahmed.
Yes i was a bit concerned about the money thing. Also I'm aware of how checked luggage works, I've just heard/read it can be frustrating to deal with sometimes and the possibility of lost luggage. It was something i wanted to avoid doing, but will do if it seems necessary.

>>1049109
Yes, I think it's very odd. I admit I'm a bit nervous about everything, but her parents are very aware of me and they've approved of this whole thing already.
I'm pretty sure ill have the money, but ill be cutting it pretty close, which is what I'm a little worried about. It seems to me like a credit card would completely wipe away any doubt of my welfare in case of an emergency, but it's unfortunately something i don't have right now. Thanks for your reply.
>>
are u a paki?
>>
Hey OP, Yuropean here with an American wife. You'll have no problems. Most EU countries allow US citizens to spend three months in the country as a tourist.

Plenty of people cross the Atlantic to meet up for the first time. Even when myself and my wife were strictly long-distance neither of us had trouble getting into our respective countries.

My advice: passport, girlfriend's contact details, warm clothes and an open mind. Other than that, the only other thing you should do is have a great time.
>>
>>1049121
No

>>1049129
Nice to hear everything has gone well for you two.
passport [x]
contact details [x]
warm clothes [x]
open mind [xxxxxxxx]
Thank you for your advice.
>>
>>1048995

So taking it up the ass by a Mongolian? Yeah, no thanks.
>>
OP I am a budget traveller and when I went to europe for 3 months I only brought 2 grand with(did have a eurail pass tho.) My first stop was Denmark then Sweden then Norway. If you have a place to stay then that is cuts costs by so much. Just be mindful of the exchange rate and get food at grocery stores instead of eating out every meal.
>>
>>1049307
The American dollar is strong as hell right now. It's a good time to go to Norway as their kroner is pretty low (on par with Sweden, almost)
>>
Yea, still it is expensive up there tho haha but I didnt know that. Thanks for the info
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.