[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Venice in January
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 1
File: gondola_2654168b.jpg (111 KB, 620x387) Image search: [Google]
gondola_2654168b.jpg
111 KB, 620x387
Anyone been to Venice around January? I'm considering going because it's cheaper.

Apparently all the flooding happens around November so it should be safe, but is it worth going at all?And can you ride the gondolas and shit in winter?
>>
Going to be cold af. I would go somewhere else, warmer areas a bit further south will also be cheaper to get to.
>>
>>1048873
>Going to be cold af.

It depends.
It's being hot as fuck this year, wouldn't be surprised to see 15C° as average.
>>
>>1048851
>And can you ride the gondolas and shit in winter?
I'm actually curious about this now. the canals obviously don't freeze in general, but do people still ride the gondolas in the cold?
>>
Resident here. It will indeed be cold, but not freezing, rarely under zero degrees.
Gondola rides are a thing year round, because only tourists ride gondolas.
Hotels will be closed, so you need to use Airbnb or similar services to find a place to sleep.
Any other questions?
>>
>>1050033
Is there anything interesting to do the new year's eve?
>>
>>1050086
Fireworks from Piazza San Marco, concert at La Fenice theater (pricey), boat rides+dinner in the lagoon, or just go get drunk in Campo Santa Margherita with the local youngsters. The mainland city Mestre, which is an extension of Venice, has free concerts in the main square
>>
>>1050033
Great, just booked my tickets for January. Thanks a lot.
>>
>>1050172
Hotels aren't closed, I stayed there last January. I strongly recommend going to venice in winter, when it's not ridiculously full of turists.
But that's just like, my opinion.
Also, eat some pesto sauce pastas on Dal Moros, they cheap and extremely good.
I would never recommend to go more than 2-3 days tho.
>>
>>1048851
how long should i stay there to truly 'feel' the venice air,and how much should i prepare if we're talking USD?thanks in advance
>>
>>1050413
In a week you should be able to see both the touristy spots and the nice ess known ones, plus a couple of the outer islands. Going in fall/winter is really more convenient because in spring/summer it's unbelievably crowded. Prices will be high, because it's a popular tourist destination, but you can save money if you sleep in the mainland and don't sit in cafes.
>>
>>1050416
would 3k usd be enough for a week,i'm kinda cheapskate
>>
>>1050423
Would that include flights?
>>
>>1050206
>Dal Moros
Oh fuck is that the place where they make fresh pasta?
I've been wanting to try it for a while now.
>>
>>1050413
Hey, please don't go to venice for a week. You're going to regret it. It's really not worth it.
>>
>>1048851
Gone be cold and gondolas are 150 bucks atleast. If he starts singing make sure to add another 100 to the estimate.
>>
>>1048851
>And can you ride the gondolas and shit in winter?
The novelty is kind of like riding a horse-drawn carriage in New York City or the French Quarter, it's priced like a very very special occasion trip. But to do it once, go for it! You'll be on the vaporettos after that, which is cheap.

A week would be nice, but you'll want some money to get to neighboring islands, for sure.
>>
>>1050678
Gondolas cost only 80€; it's just because you're american, don't be fooled.
Also I'm working in Switzerland, but I have a flat around there and worked closed to Venezia for 6 Months, be sure to see Torcello, Burano, go have a walk on the Lido beach in winter.
The cemetary is great aswell, if you stay for more than 3 days, take a vaporetto pass for your entire trip, but try to walk as much as you can, it's great to get lost and to find nice place randomly overthere.

Be also sure to go to the eastern part of the city, at least till the garden and the garibaldi course, that way you should be able to explore the fishermen district, it's really cute and with almost no tourist...

I'll certainly be there for one week in january, and I'd be glad to show you some nice bars, or some cool places I like.

Try to get some words in Italian, don't be like all these assholes directly speaking in English like everybody's supposed to be perfectly fluent... Italian people are terrible when it comes to speak english, so try to make an effort as well.

>>1050423
That's fucking enough, are you fucking kidding me... Unless you want to go to cafee Florian everyday. Just drink spritz, eat street and bar food as well, there are fucking good spot close to the fish market.

>>1050206
2-3 days is too fucking short. 4-5 days, you have to enjoy it, not to run everywhere...
Also there is Verona and Padova who deserve a fucking glance...

>>1049634
People don't ride gondola, it's just for tourist, you just ride gondola when you want to cross canale grande and you're far away from the bridges...

Why are there no more European and Italian here to give you good advices for god sake.
>>
>>1050723
Yeah, use gondola only for traghetto, other wise, it's just really expensive.
>>
>>1050441
nope not including flights
>>
>>1050642
but the local guy said a week,is he a jew?
>>
>>1050723
how much would you recommend to have,at minimum then?
>>
>>1051255
If you only want to see St. Mark, ride a gondola and take a few selfies on a bridge you can stay two days and be done with it. That's what most people do. The question is, are you most people?
>>
>>1050723
I'm going for 4 nights towards the end of Feb (flights are cheap as shit from the UK) and this is really interesting.

Wasn't planning on gondolas anyway, but Lido and the east end will go on the actual planned itinerary rather than just places I might end up at while wandering around.
>>
don't go to piccolo mundo music dance, its shit, do drink in margarita square and/or any kebab shop, that seems to be where everyone hangs out
>>
Anyone been to Venice during Carnival?
>>
>>1051431
I admit I did the gondolas. Wanted to see one u close (come from a family of boat nuts) and wanted to support them keeping making them. They are wonderful and unique boats, it will be a shame when the last guys who really know how to make them finally retire and pass on...
>>
>>1051258
>>1051250
3k is quite a bit too much

I went this summer and its only expensive around the tourist paths. If you go to Campo Santa Margherita, an evening meal for 2 with a few drinks is under 30EUR.
Go near Rialto Bridge and buy a coke and spend close to 4EUR though
>>
>>1051970
It will be very crowded, not as much as in summer though. The more elaborate masks are a sight to behold, and there will be events you can attend
>>
I went in Feb and it was great

I didn't feel very cold but I'm from the UK... I just wore a light jacket and that was enough

I barely spent any money there.... wander around and you can find cheap local places to eat (hint: no English signs or menus). Restaurant prices at the big bridge / train station / st marks are inflated as fuck for tourists.

I refused to pay to ride a Gondola also... just take the ferry that's nice and cheap.
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.