[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Diet Replacement while Backpacking in Europe
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1
File: huel.jpg (40 KB, 633x356) Image search: [Google]
huel.jpg
40 KB, 633x356
So I've bought all the transportation related items for a 3 week trip around Europe next month by train, plane and bus and paid the deposit on my hostels, but I'm worried food might get really expensive in some areas and I want to keep it within a relatively small budget plus I care more about visiting museums and local destinations than focusing on each cities cuisine and spending an hour or so each time I go out to eat. That being said they don't have Soylent yet in the UK but they have a close brother in Huel, just wanted to know if anyone has used this sort of dietary replacement meal while traveling and experiences using it were.
>>
Why don't you just buy stuff at supermarkets?
>>
Possible language barriers, might not have a kitchen at the hostel to cook food, expensive costs of living, etc, places I'm going to are Madrid, Barcelona, Rome, Venice, Vienna, Dresden, Berlin
>>
>>1048785
& Prague
>>
>>1048785
>language barriers
>in a self service supermarket
>expensive costs of living
>is from the UK
Nigga. The only thing that can be remotely problematic is the lack of kitchens, but then just don't cook that day or grab a cheap kebab if you really want something warm.
>>
>>1048777
dont even bother responding to this autist.
>>
>>1048777
>Why don't you just buy stuff at supermarkets?
This.

I get a few pieces of whole fruit to enjoy between meals for a couple of days (good to do anyway to enjoy local produce), bread for a sandwich or two. Then I get either some cheese and salami (local of course), or pack some peanut butter. I can live off a box of Luna bars or powerbars (or similar) as one of my meals eachday. Stretch things with a water bottle I refill from potable sources.

Lunch is cheaper out than dinners, for getting a taste of local food, plus 1-2 immigrant choices will be dirt cheap, like another anon said, kebab or pizza or something low quality can be done cheap, as can half-portions. No reason you can't do diet replacement stuff, esp if you want to lose weight, but it really removes one of the more joyful things in travel, the local culture of food.
>>
Bread and tuna.

When I was hitchhiking through Europe and I was strapped for cash, but wanted to eat somewhat healthy so I mainly ate bread and tuna. Get yourself some canned tuna in olive oil and some healthy bread. Dip the bread in the olive oil as to eat everything that's in the can. Fat is calorie dense and there's usually around 30-40g of olive oil in a can which is about 270-360 calories from just fat. No cooking involved and it doesn't get that boring if you buy different bread.

Peanuts are also a very cheap, calorie dense and ready to eat food.

Dark (>70%) chocolate is also another good example.

Bananas are cheap, healthy and ready to eat.
>>
>>1049024
Tuna smells like ass though, and is disgusting.
Enjoy your mercury.
>>
>>1048785
>>1048786

In 3 weeks? LOL you won't be seeing much of anything but hostel check in desks, transportation locations, and foreign maps
>>
>>1049060
I saw most of central Paris in 3 days, I don't see why I can't see for example all of Venice in like 3 days or most of Rome in 4, plus most of my trains and buses are overnight ones
>>
>>1049100
you can see all of Venice in roughly 12 hours. 2 full days there would be bordering on excess. Especially if you're staying IN venice and not across the water on the main land. I'm totally blanking on the name of the town
>>
>>1049294
Mestre, you're thinking of.

And I think 12 hours is a bit short if you want to also visit the lagoon islands like Murano, Burano, Torcello, or the barrier island of Lido. They aren't large, but waiting on the vaporetto schedules eats up time.
>>
>>1049294
>>1049297
Sadly I'm booked from the morning of the 27th to the evening of the 29th, when I take an overnight train to Vienna, however I am staying just across the water on the main land. Is it expensive to take a boat to the lagoon islands? Now that I have extra time I guess I can enjoy the local food a bit more here than in other places like Berlin or Rome.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.