[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Ireland
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1
File: image.jpg (245 KB, 2716x1810) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
245 KB, 2716x1810
Alright guys I'm going to Ireland next week.

I've never been to Ireland before and I have no idea what to expect.

Can I use my credit card at most places?

Should I carry cash, and if so how much?

Should I exchange it? (it's USD)

What should I do about my phone charger becoming a vegetable?
>>
>>1048737
Protips:
Self-drive vacation and a new town every night is the best way to do Ireland.
Visa and Mastercard are freely accepted. Not a cash society. Charge to your hearts delight. If you use a debit (ie not a real credit card), AMEX or discover or something weird, you might encounter a store that acts like your card doesn't work a few times, because of vendor fees, they might pressure you to produce some other form of payment.
Do you need to carry alot of cash? Nah, you can use a foreign ATM withdrawal as much as you need. It's not uncivilized. Every town will have a bank ATM.
Get a convertor for your phone. Use amazon or newegg to avoid being ripped off. Check that your phone will actually work, set up an unlimited texting plan before you go or buy a SIM, and then simply keep it off unless you're on wifi or something of an emergency.
>>
>>1048743

It never hurts to carry cash (euro) with you, but it is not entirely necessary. Major cards are freely accepted, and ATM's are available everywhere. Get a convertor for your phone charger as well, like the guy above me said.

The best way to do Ireland is to see the countryside; it will only take you a day to enjoy Dublin. Rent a car and drive yourself around the entire country, or/and take as many tours as you can. The euro is very cheap right now, so a cheap price can buy you great long-day tour from Dublin (assuming that's where you'll stay) If you choose to drive yourself, keep in mind that they drive on the opposite side of the road.

Drink as much Guinness as you can, enjoy the locals and their pubs, don't make jokes about the potato famine, don't talk about Northern Ireland (avoid any political talks in general), and have fun!
>>
>>1048737
Relax, Chuck FreedomBurger, you are not going to another planet.

We use the Euroe here in Ireland, so yes you should fucking exchange the currency.

Yes you can use credit cards. Carry as much cash as you want, you can get more out of ATMs.

You can get an adapter for different plug types in the airport (which I am beginning to suspect you have never been to)

Relax, we'll take good care of you. Try not to spend your whole trip in Dublin, it's such a waste. See the countryside.
>>
>>1048737
Trying not to repeat what the other replies say because it's all accurate.

You can do Dublin in a day, maybe 1.5 days depending on how long you linger. Then get out of town. The trains have always been on time in my experience, and they're not bad, except the network is pretty centralized. All roads lead to Dublin, so to speak, so plan accordingly. Fly into Shannon is you can to do the south/west. Fly into Belfast for the north if you want to bypass Dublin (though it may be cheaper and easier on time to go to Dublin then leave straight away).

Definitely get out into the country and experience the rural life. Several heritage centers have great exhibits and are cheap or free. Lodging is cheap, too. Just hit up a B&B and get breakfast included. Nothing beats a home-cooked meal on the road. I've never stayed at a place I didn't like and only met a handful of locals who were very stand-offish to an American. The people are the best.

If you're driving, be careful on the lesser-driven roads. They're very narrow compared to the US, and pulling to the side is common. And watch for sheep, too. And stay on the left. And get used to roundabouts. And maybe get an automatic if the idea of a manual on other side driving on the left and keeping all that in mind is too much (I did the first time I drove there).

Drink the beer. The Guinness is actually good over there. Don't bring up the Troubles. Don't try to strike up a conversation about politics or religion. Stick to sports if you can.

Do you have a plan of where you're going? We can maybe give some ideas of things to check out.
>>
I'll be there next month for one day in Galway with a couple I met in Paris and then one day in Cork and Dublin each with my college friends, I have two friends back home in love with Ireland, so what'd be a good souvenir to bring back
>>
>>1048737
buy a universal charger
>>
>>1049433
Galway's not all that special. You can see the big stuff in a couple hours unless you like to linger. The cathedral is pretty nice, though.

I'd recommend getting a car (or using your friends) and heading south for a day trip through Co. Clare and see the Burren. Hit Coole Park, Kilmacduagh monestary, through to Kilfenora and the great crosses, then to the Cliffs of Moher, and circle back north and see Aillwee caves and Poulnabrone dolmen. Backtrack north again and stop for a second at Dunguaire castle, the back to Galway. You can do that in like 8 hours easy, though the caves and dolmen are a sidetrack, but you get into the heart of the Burren there. It's looks like a lunar landscape.

Or if you want to see Connemara for a day, head northwest out of Galway and hit Aughnanure castle and move on to Kylemore Abbey and the Victorian gardens (you've seen pictures of it I bet) there and back to Galway for a shorter day. Don't go through Clifden or Letterfrack. Turn off on the R344 to get to Kylemore. Better scenery, more sheep. Connemara NP is right there, too, and you can go through the Twelve Bens area, which has nice landscapes.
>>
>>1048737

>I've never been to Ireland before and I have no idea what to expect.

Its raining

>Can I use my credit card at most places?

Outside of Dublin there is only small patches of places with electricity and internet, mainly the bigger towns. Outside of that its mostly a barter economy, you can trade food, footware, candles, etc

>Should I carry cash, and if so how much?

See above, also in places with a cash based economy there are roving gangs of starving beggars who will steal your money and eat it. Wearing shoes is an obvious way to mark yourself as a rich yank with lots of money!

>Should I exchange it? (it's USD)

No I'm sure they will be happy to be paid in useless currency, jesus fucking christ

>What should I do about my phone charger becoming a vegetable?

Leave your phone at home, there are only about 400 people with magical speaking tubes and generally messages are sent by trained crows
>>
>>1050921
This is pretty much accurate. Don't fuck around in Ireland. It should be noted that the roving beggars prefer USD to any local currencies (there are several in use)
>>
>>1048737
>I've never been to Ireland before and I have no idea what to expect.Can I use my credit card at most places?

Yes.

>Should I carry cash, and if so how much?

Sure, garb a few monies at an TAM from time to time, like you would at home. Only difference is that, ifyour bank is oging to charge you a pre-withdrawal fee, you might save some monies by making fewer, and larger, withdrawals. do your research with your bank -- and ask if they have a "sister institution" over there -- some do and fees are less there.

>Should I exchange it? (it's USD)

See Above

>What should I do about my phone charger becoming a vegetable?

Unless your phone is very old, it will not be a problem. Somewhere on the charger it will list a voltage range. Compare to the voltage where you are going, that will make it certain if you are OK. If you are not OK, get a converter. Otherwise, just get some adapters for a few bucks.

>>1048743
>Self-drive vacation and a new town every night is the best way...

Agree, but would rather do it staying a few nights at each stop and day-tri out from there. Moving too often is a pain. To me -- your mileage may vary, of course.
>>
>>1050941
I don't think this guy has actually been to Ireland, from some of his answers.

OP, you do need a converter if you wish to use the phone. They're dirt cheap if you buy one in advance, like dollar store cheap.

Ireland is not about doing several days in each town or day tripping, it's about making a path and plan, and having forward motion. Outside of Galway, Dublin, or Shannon, you won't find that you want 2 nights anywhere, or that there are even more than 1 day of activities. So, yea, you can laze about and enjoy being still or taking a hike, playing a round of golf, and enjoying a different restaurant or bar for different meals, but it's not really recommended or necessary. On a honeymoon, sure, rest up the for room activities.
>>
>>1050977
That is certainly one way to do it, yeah. And more power to you if you like doing that.

Me, I hate having to sleep in a new place every night.

Ireland s small enough and compact enough that you can sleep in one place an pop to outlying thins you want to see.

This assumes you have a car, probably should have mentioned.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.