[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Lets talk about islands. I guess 'red pill me' is the
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 5
File: The-Aitutaki-Lagoon3_600x300.jpg (154 KB, 600x300) Image search: [Google]
The-Aitutaki-Lagoon3_600x300.jpg
154 KB, 600x300
Lets talk about islands. I guess 'red pill me' is the phrase I want to use.

If you look up so-called 'island paradises', all you see are perfect paradise images which obviously are not representative of the real places. Like I often hear Bali is overpopulated but you only find praise and pictures like this on google.

What 'island paradises' across the pacific and indian oceans are actually as-advertised, and which are overrun or overrated? Is it necessary to pay out the ass for these tiki hut resort things to find these nice parts?

Maldives, Mauritius, Seychelles, Fiji, Tahiti, Bora Bora, Vanuatu, Samoa, Aitutaki,(Malaysia) Tioman, Langkawi
(Thailand) Phuket, Ko Samui, Ko Tao, Ko Phi Phi
>>
I lived on Oahu for three years and the North Shore is as advertised bruh. Every page has two sides, that is certain, but the side we are shown is definitely not inaccurate. It actually looks like that. e.g. Waikiki beach is a shitty fat fuck homeless fest but the beaches everywhere else are 100% glorious
>>
Many of the Thai islands are shit holes. Especially Phi Phi. Stick to the less densely populated islands that invariably harbour less tourists.

Don't forget some of the Greek and Italian islands. They are absolutely stunning and the smaller ones aren't commonly visited by tourists.
>>
>>1048117
I shouldve figured thai wouls be like that.

Yeah i definitely have a list of greek islands im going to visit, and theres obviously a ton in the caribbean but im focusing a bit on remote-ish places in the pacific and indians oceans
>>
File: turtlebeach2[1].jpg (85 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
turtlebeach2[1].jpg
85 KB, 500x375
>>1048111
I wouldn't say Waikiki beach is a homeless fest. Sure there are some homeless, but mostly its a touristy, commercialized, and kid friendly beach. Its not like its full of drunk homeless and tents. And they even have free hula shows and fireworks at Waikiki beach too.

The North Shore is actually nice and has these picturesque beaches. The Hawaiian waters are more blue than the turquoise color you associate with tropical beaches, and the waves can be violent and dangerous.

Oahu and all the Hawaiian islands really aren''t all that expensive. They can be fairly cheap to get to if your from the US because of cheap flight and hostels.
>>
>>1048100
I went to the big island of Hawaii for my first time a little less than a year ago and it's the closest to an island paradise I've come across, despite being rather large. What blew me away was how desolate the whole island felt. I imagined constant cities/towns along the coast, and fairly dense inland. I'd say probably only 1% or less of the whole island is developed, and probably 10% of the coastline.

The 10/10 island paradise experience for me was waimanu valley. Completely uninhabited and absolutely beautiful. No roads so very few people (saw 3 small groups over 2 days on the weekend).
>>
Ko Tao is paradise. The cunts that go to Phangan and Samui tend to skip it.
>>
File: IMG_20150418_183122.jpg (2 MB, 4208x3120) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20150418_183122.jpg
2 MB, 4208x3120
>>1048117
Right about Phi Phi but Koh Phangan and Koh Tao are very beautiful, basically if you want quiet and unspoiled beauty go to the east side of the island on Koh Tao. Sairee beach on the west side is actually still very nice though and Koh Tao is my favourite place in Thailand.

Koh Phangan has a bad rep with is sort of undeserved as most of the island is absolutely stunning, if you avoid haad rin and the region near the port (can't remember the name) you can find some amazing places like bottle beach in the north and other really remote little beaches with like one bar on and a few beach huts.

Koh Lanta is awesome too, very very quiet and quite spread out. It has really guest houses and really high end resorts if you are into that thing.

Pic related, sunset in Koh Lanta.
>>
>>1048174
PS. I will try find some pics on my phone of Koh Tao, don't think i have many though.
>>
>>1048100
What do you mean by paradise? I see no paradise on your picture. It's a nice view, but if it's really not crowded it probably means it's very remote, lacks infrastructure, everything is overpriced or blatantly ripoff, the choice of food is poor. I would not want to live in such place. unless I were old and retired.
On the other hand, places like Phuket are livable because they are developed and civilized.
>>
File: images.jpg (2 KB, 128x80) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
2 KB, 128x80
When I went to Thailand I did a tour around a few small islands (like 30 meters across) on a boat. It was magical.
>>
>>1048177
I used quotes for a reason and n9 one plans on living there, this is about short visits or vacations
>>
File: onoono_lunch[1].jpg (68 KB, 550x413) Image search: [Google]
onoono_lunch[1].jpg
68 KB, 550x413
>>1048177
>choice of food is poor
This is one thing I noticed on my trip to Oahu, and its kind of a deal breaker for why I will probably not want to move to Hawaii.

I think their food culture sucks. You would think their food would be bright, colorful, tropical, and full of tropical fruits and vegetables. Nope, their food is very brown and white. They are heavily reliant on imported food from the mainland that doesn't spoil easily, like rice, pasta, mayonnaise, frozen vegetables, and frozen and canned meat.

It just looks like fresh fruit and vegetables is too expensive in Hawaii for most people to afford. Much more expensive than in California.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.