[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Iceland in December
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2
hey /trv/, first ever post here

me and a friend are going to Iceland for a week and a half in the middle of December to try and give ourselves the best chance of seeing the aurora. I know we won't be able to do too much other sightseeing because of how short the days are, but is it really that bad? like, do we need to bring a portable floodlight or something to navigate our way around town?
>>
>>1047560
http://www.timeanddate.com/sun/iceland/reykjavik?month=12

You can just google this shit. You'll have about 4 hours of sun a day. And I'm pretty sure they have streetlights in Iceland.
>>
Yes it is that bad. But fuck you for thinking this is a third world country.
>>
>>1047560
I don't think the day length is your biggest obstacle to "doing something" but rather the weather, and the fact the winter things to do are centered in the city. A city with only 2 days to see describes Reykjavik well. Its a 1 day city, desu. With all the tourists at home, and the rest of the country hunkered down for winter at their city home, activities center around the opera, a music festival, working out at the gym, dining, soaking, working at the office, or maybe shopping. There are 2-3 museums of note, but I don't know the winter hours. The buses on the ring road stop. The rental cars need to be retrofitted with snorkels or other safety gear at this time, and as a renter, you'd need your survival equipment in the car and desu a Satellite phone. But, with money, you could fly around (Icelandair has videos for that).

The most amazing aspects of Iceland is the landscape that you aren't around driving around to see in the winter, such as lava tubes, sheep and horses, roads to waterfalls, boats to see whales and migratory birds, geysirs, etc. While you do drive around, you can immerse yourself in the fantasy a bit, as it is the landscape that gave rock shapes to the myths of trolls and such, and the sometimes literary truths with settlement history of the sagas. You can see some mountains with blownoff tops from volcanoes from Reykjavik over the water, but you won't be climbing it without a guide, I'm sure. It's stunning and beautiful if weather is clear. You can see northern lights from the city, but lights will "dull" them. A short drive away is best. The city is cute, with great street names, decent shops and cafe culture, and a pretty small but lively nightlife, and language isn't a barrier, very english friendly.

Icelandair to/from N. America and Europe...can give enough of a Blue Lagoon jet lag cure to mean anyone should try it on winter. But, I'd go back in summer too.
>>
A lot of things grind to a halt, especially in the countryside, which is what you should come visit for. Reykjavík is nice but it's still small.

I wouldn't advise driving the Ringroad in the darkness (we're not 3rd world but we don't have street lanterns along it), with snowfleets coming in against you and basically fuck-all visibility. A lot of the inland roads will also be 100% impassable.
>>
Me and a bunch of friends are going in 2 weeks. We're renting a place in downtown Reykjavik and will just fuck around there for 5 days. What kind of clothes would you guys bring when packing as light as possible?
>>
File: sauna-bund-topimage01.jpg (53 KB, 503x229) Image search: [Google]
sauna-bund-topimage01.jpg
53 KB, 503x229
Me and my girlfriend might be going to Iceland for a week,

we wonder if there are any Saunas or swimming places where it's ok to not wear clothes,
and are co-ed.

Like it is in germany for example.
>>
>>1048454
Nope
>>
>>1048437
Well, you'll need clothes for dashing in and out of being indoors where there is heat, when you're staying in a city, desu. City clothes that are fashionable/expensive quality so you can dine/club/shop and not look like a slob, but still casual. I'd suggest that you wear fabric choices that are warm like wool blends and not 100% cottons. City streets are cobblestones and nice paved sidewalks, probably okay with basic snow-worthy types. Bring a towel, robe, crocs and swim gear! Going to soak is a fun thing to do daily and a good part of winter recreation (and cheap). There's a heated beach, city pool and other choices.

>>1048454
No. And, the bathing suit choices are conservative/athletic for the most part. The locker rooms are not co-ed, but they're pretty much nakedness because you shower pre-swim and then put on the suit to go outdoors.
>>
Another anon here planning a trip to Iceland.

Im planning on going March/Aprl next year is that a good time to see the most of the awesome landscape? Also how many days do you guys think, minimun, Id need to see everything or almost everything?
>>
We stayed in Iceland for almost a week over New Years and it was awesome. The days are crazy short though and mind you I'm a Swede. Like it'd be dark at 11 AM still, and the sun would almost be down at 3 PM. Also the cold is bitter, I think it has to do with Iceland having a tiny diameter and being in the middle of the ocean. So wool clothes are a gift there, and Icelandic stores sell a lot of cute wool stuff. We went on the ring road tour, and I'm glad we had a great guide because I wouldn't want to be driving on icy roads in the darkness (most of the highways only have light-reflecting poles lining them, not lights). He even took us up on the middle of a glacier in his land rover. Beautiful, cold, desolate emptiness. The tour is awesome but remember to bring the right clothes! Also New Years in the middle of Reykjavik was just beyond, and I've celebrated New Years in NYC. Never seen so many fireworks in my life, even the firemen participated.
>>
>>1048772
>Im planning on going March/Aprl next year is that a good time to see the most of the awesome landscape? Also how many days do you guys think, minimun, Id need to see everything or almost everything?
For circling the island, you need 7 days or more. Take a look at a map, from Reykjavik, if you want to go South and see the glacier lagoon, and then head back, it's double time to get there and back, and then to go up the west coast through those sights, and snaefellsnes and maybe west fjords, you go and you come back again. To circle the island, you really want more than a week. So, plan 2 vacations there, or extend it and do only some of what you want to do. That being said, you can see a great deal of nice things in 5 days, just not more than the golden circle, the city, and one direction of travel.
March is a touch early for tourist season, but weather might cooperate with you, never can tell when it starts to clear and get warm.
>>
>>1048772
>Also how many days do you guys think, minimun, Id need to see everything or almost everything?

2 weeks minimum if you don't want to feel like you're rushing.

I went for 12 days total: spent 3 in Reykjavik, did the ring road with various stops, and then another 2-3 days in reykjavik. Wished I had a couple more days. Also, car rental is a bit pricey, but worth it IMO. Gives you a chance to explore a bit on your own schedule. Much cheaper if you have at least another person to split it with, obz.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.