[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Drinking abroad
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 7
File: Ron-KALANI.png (300 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
Ron-KALANI.png
300 KB, 800x800
So lets talk about booze and travel. What's your favorite drink when traveling? Do you guys seek out locally made alcohol or drinks that are popular in the given region when you travel there? What drinks have you tried abroad for the first time and then started drinking them when you got back home?

I don't usually drink sweet alcohol drinks, pretty much drink beer 90% of the times I drink any alcohol but when I went to the Caribbean I totally loved all the mixed drinks they made there. The mojitos there were so much better than the ones I have back here, maybe it's due to the warm weather, maybe due to the atmosphere, but they never taste the same here. This rum and coconut liqueur is pretty good, definitely not something I would have tried at home for the first time.
>>
Real absinthe in Spain. I usually smuggle a few bottles back stateside. Porto wine I had in Lisbon was awesome. Wines in Italy were great, and there was this crazy wine in Italy, I think it was homemade, it was at some dude's house. You'd be stuffed, drink it, then be read for the next course. Ate for hours.
>>
>>1046772
Also, for Thailand, though Chang seems to be the farang beer of choice, I much prefer Singha. My first time having a Strongbow was in Spain, but too sweet for me to drink regularly. Only have drunken it when abroad, though not just Europe. I'm American, if I haven't mentioned. I drank Dahl's beer in Norway and took a Dahl's glass home from the bar/club. Which is another habit I have. I have a Strongbow glass as well. In fact, almost every glass I have either came from a bar, restaurant, liquor gift set, souvenir, or a keepsake from some ball/event/place. I think I have one legit normal glass.

Though Jack Daniel is popular in the US, and can reasonably be called a mid shelf whiskey, I was amazed at how popular it is overseas. I actually never bought my own bottle stateside before purchasing regularly while overseas. It was just the easiest whiskey to get a hold of. And the massive 3 litre bottles were cool. I started drinking scotch after drinking it abroad.
>>
>>1046772
>>1046776
I think Blue Frog is my favorite thing I come across. Long Island Ice Tea has nothing on this. This is a very popular club drink in the Middle East, at least in the countries that allow alcohol (Bahrain/UAE). The youtube video saus it's from Serbia, but I don;t know the actual origins. There is another variation called Red Frog. Bluw frog is essentially a bunch of liquors mixed together, but you can't tast the alcohol so you get pretty fucked off it, and many clubs sell it by the pitcher. I made them for a while myself when I got back home, but it can be expensive to do all the time because of all the different alcohols you have to buy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MpVzFBrIufk
>>
>>1046682
I always like to at least try the local beer(s), although as I've done most of my traveling in Asia followed by Latin America I am seldom blown away (mostly variations on mild, low-alcohol, and yellow). And if a country has a local, unusual spirit, I'll generally try it. When I lived in Thailand I dabbled in both local 'whiskey' (actually a white rum-like beverage with some food coloring--people call it rice whiskey but it is made of sugarcane) and white spirits (stronger, cheaper, less smooth, also made from sugar but occasionally containing rice), favored by local working men and the homeless.

Another thing I enjoy is wine in less common wine producing countries--this has been wonderful in Eastern Europe, and surprisingly good in Mexico and Bolivia (each has a small number of expensive, enjoyable wines), but is obviously more a novelty thing in Asia (Vietnam, China, and Thailand, among others, all manufacture things that could defensibly be called grape wines, but they are not for the faint of heart or the oenophile).
>>
I did a trip around Central Europe and the Balkans recently and one of the things me and my mate decided to do was try at least one local drink from each country. I'm not sure if it was just because I was in a good mood, but pretty much every beer and wine I tasted was better than what I normally have back in the UK.

My favourite drink of all was cherry rakija, in Croatia.
>>
I'm not very picky when it comes to alcohol. I tend not to be a big fan of beer and drink accordingly. However, I generally do try to taste "local" flavors and regional favorites. While I don't have any rules, I try to avoid brands that area available back home, like Bud Light, Heineken, and Stella Artois. After all, half the fun in traveling is getting to try new things!

Mojitos in Colombia were absolutely amazing! I agree with you there, OP.

I've actively sought out several brands from overseas for consumption in my own country. There's a little hole-in-the-wall store run by an Indian father and son and they can get just about anything that can legally be imported. I always have them get me Yeni Raki, Kingfisher, Balkan beers, and more. I was disappointed to find out that aguardiente is virtually impossible to get.
>>
>>1046833
Yes, we really do have famous and tasty home brewed alcohol here, especially rakijas. Am Croatian.
>>
File: 20141001_123122.jpg (744 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
20141001_123122.jpg
744 KB, 1600x1200
Arak
bali, Indonesia
>>
File: 2015-10-20 015.jpg (745 KB, 2592x1944) Image search: [Google]
2015-10-20 015.jpg
745 KB, 2592x1944
>>1046833
In Bulgaria we have *decent* beer, and this is as far as lagers and pills go. We've recently began to produce some bock and weiss stuff, so that's on a decent level, too. I wouldn't say anything amazing about it, but we also import from Germany and Czech a lot, so you can be 100% sure you won't be sober here. Rakia is a great option here, too. Grape is the most popular, followed by plum, pear and peach.

My experience in Tunisia: Celtia sucked ass. Never again.
>>
>>1047119
Not sure if I would tempt drinking this. After reading all those stories about mass death in India and a few other countries from drinking the wrong kind of booze I would be very skeptical if someone offered this to me.
>>
>>1047946
I have wished that I was dead after drinking this.
In indonesia,most of the deaths occur from booze that has been adulterated with industrial methanol.
the villagers have been distilling arak for centuries
>>
>>1046682
>What's your favorite drink when traveling?
>Do you guys seek out locally made alcohol or drinks that are popular in the given region when you travel there?
I don't have one favorite at home or when traveling. It's probably more about the local mood and climate of the year for that trip, than anything else. But, I always drink the local beer choices when dining out to pair with heavier/greasier local food. I may or may not enjoy the wines, because it's not always really about the region or unavailable at home if any good. At least once or twice after dinner or drinking while people watching, I'll get the local liqueurs tried. There will always be some multi-ingredient herbal aperitif popular there, or some local fruit brandy to try. Many places have unique monastery or small batch kind of distillations that are absolutely not imported back home: anything from local honeys to homemade berry juice vodkas.

>What drinks have you tried abroad for the first time and then started drinking them when you got back home?
Some of absolute favorites were first tried on airplanes, during buddy pass bumps to first class as a youth, and then later tried at the source. Tia Maria is one example, as is Frangelico, galliano, and other "60s" popular ones. Sam Adams was introduced to the world by the NY shuttle route of Delta, as was Leinie sunset wheats (just for instance of the hand in hand promotion of airlines and distributors). I toured Midleton distillery, and still adore Jameson's sherry hint w/ no smoke, and think it makes the best whisky sour and egg nog punch bowl at home. Appleton estate rum as well as Barbancourt are from travel exposure. (You like mojitos, use molasses heavy gold rum, not white.) I like apricot palinka from 25+ tastings I did while visiting a wine festival in Buda castle grounds. I like licorice flavors a bunch, and too many sources to mention, from iceland to greece. Retsina wine (pine resin) that pairs awesomely with grilled meat.
>>
When I travel, visit friends or move from one place to another I go full alcoholic. I allow myself to drink at any time of day (that includes right after waking up) and pretty much stick to this:

I alternate neat scotch and rum &coke on the plane, trains, cars; maybe 3/hour.
The White Russian is my go to casual indoors drink: the thing I mix myself at hotels rooms, airBnB, friends place or whenever i'm alone. I go the the grocery store and buy the ingredients. I like it very sweet. I sometimes do a chocolate variation.
I go full Rye at luxury hotel bars and classy places. No ice. ever.
Bloody Mary before 11am.
Vodka in clubs and loud music places where I hate to dance. Ice, always.
I usually beer around 6/7 pm, to start off the evenings.

My never drink list:
wine, pastis, champagne, mojitos.
Everything else is game. I like to try new alcohols, cocktails (I prefer classic old school cocktails) or liqueurs especially when they are specific to the place I'm visiting.

I hate to be under-drunk (the slightly tipsy phase) or trashed (slurry, everything moving, help me walk pls). I like to cruise: pacing yourself to stay at a specific altitude. I aim for the mellow-breathing heavier than usual point. i'm a light weight but I have the chance of not looking drunk. Most people think I'm still behind even though I'm twice as trashed.
Basically if I start looking drunk, it's already too late.
>>
>>1048938
This post. ROFL. Good advice mixed in here.

I absolutely also indulge in the bloody mary, champagne w/orange juice morning cocktail idea with breakfast, starting right on the plane! It makes me sleepy, so if I have a slow day, I'll do it with lunch maybe, but most vacation days, I reserve my exploration of local drink for dinner only. If I'm in town to do a show or concert, no problem with sightseeing or physical energy, so it's fine for hanging out. For cheap hotel room pre-drinking, anything that mixes with Coke or Soda, and if I can get those cold or have ice is fine. From a spiced rum, a vodka, wine spritzers, shots of something local, to Baileys. Depends on mood. It's also a GREAT IDEA to buy duty free on a plane, if you land at a weird time before shopping can be done, or if local tariffs make drinking expensive, such as in Iceland.

I like a series called Three Sheets (hulu and other places) which highlights some of the best of a country's bar culture/produced local drinks. OP might enjoy it.
>>
I drink alcohol only when it's part of the local culture, e.g. in Germany I often drank beer, in France I tasted wine. In countries like Thailand or China I barely drank anything, maybe tried the local beer one or two times. Beer doesn't go well with hot climate.
>>
>>1047119
I think you mean arrack - arak is a very different spirit.
>>
>>1046682
slivovitz in czech, that shit fucking ruins you, and they give you huge shots too
its a great cocktail ingredient too
>>
Whatever is cheap and not shit quality. I love to try new food but its not that hard to import liquors and wine, and i dont care much about fancy beers
>>
>>1049022
>Beer doesn't go well with hot climate.
Maybe in 1675 prior to refrigeration. Nothing beats an ice cold beer in 90% humidity.
>>
>>1046838
>Yeni Raki, Kingfisher,
Big-brand names. Basically just foreign versions of Jim Beam and Coors, respectively. Although Kingfisher is better.
>>
>>1046682
>What's your favorite drink when traveling?

Rum and cola.

>Do you guys seek out locally made alcohol or drinks that are popular in the given region when you travel there?

Yes, loved limoncella in Capri. Currently in China though, and beer is very popular. I can barely stand beer, so I usually mix my own cocktails. 白酒 (baijiu) is what passes for hard liquor, and it's terrible stuff. There's a red-colored alcohol that i saw, but haven't tried yet. Forgot the name.

My Korean friends here introduced me to 米酒/mijiu, it's white rice wine that's mixed with sprite 50/50, good stuff. UK friend introduced me to Pimms here, also tasty. Too bad we can't find fresh mint anywhere.
>>
File: IMG_20150424_162739_201.jpg (221 KB, 918x1632) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20150424_162739_201.jpg
221 KB, 918x1632
here's one of the 白酒 i've drank, purely out of curiosity.

3.70元 is basically $0.60, btw.

If you're ever in Beijing, I recommend you try this, it's an unforgettable experience.
>>
>>1050584
Chinese beer is pretty shit anyway desu
>>
>>1050588

Chinese, Russian, German, Austrian, Australian, it all tastes like piss to me honestly.
>>
>>1050589
You've never had good beer then, or you're like 16
>>
>>1050592

23, and i've had more beer than i want to.

i just don't like the taste. but apparently you and half the world thinks i just haven't met a good beer yet.

liquor is my thing.
>>
File: 1444499080817.jpg (60 KB, 1218x951) Image search: [Google]
1444499080817.jpg
60 KB, 1218x951
I usually go on alcohol and drug binges for a good portion of my trip, to get it out of my system, it's part of the traveling experience for me.

I always make sure to get a bit out of town where there's no tourists. There's nothing like being beyond gone on alcohol and drugs whilst being in some sketchy place where you might get mugged and raped when going to the bathroom. If you're not being invasive the locals are usually complete bros too.

I actually went for like 30 hours straight once, didn't leave the hostel room for 2 days, felt like every bit of energy was drained out of my body.

>>1050593
I see, there's a great variety of beers though, ranging from very sweet to very bitter, I'm sure there's something out there for you.
>>
Bit of a fondness for jenever whenever I'm in Holland, comes from dating a Dutch girl, her dad drank it with me all the time.

Qingdao is about the best of the Chinese beers, though Harbin will do in a pinch.

Belgium is a serious spot for beers. Jupiler is fine in Holland, but I have a soft spot for Hertog Jan for some reason.

Here in Ireland, drink Guinness if you're in Dublin but if you're in Cork we typically drink Beamish or Murphys, they're much nicer imo.
>>
>>1050499
>Basically just foreign versions of Jim Beam and Coors, respectively.
You do know that Turkish rakı is not whisky, right? True, that's a big distiller, but it's a Middle Eastern-style anisette, about as similar to Jim Beam as it is to Clamato.
>>
>>1050585
>白酒
I bought a lower-end, but still bottled baijiu and it was beyond horrible.
I can't imagine what that tastes like.
>>
Cachaca in Brazil
Local liquor steeped for years in almonds and dried deer penis
Absinthe in Spain
Kingfisher and Old Cask rum in India
>>
>>1050584
>There's a red-colored alcohol that i saw, but haven't tried yet
It might be Plum wine, Yunnan province has a few kinds of fruit wines, mostly plums and similar fruits.

I found baijiu with cherry juice and grenadine wasn't too bad. Made something similar with cherry juice and that apple fanta drink, turned out pretty good.
>>
>>1050593
>i just don't like the taste. but apparently you and half the world thinks i just haven't met a good beer yet.
>liquor is my thing.
I'm with you anon. And I'm Australian.
>>
>>1050499

I know they're big-name brands and I don't particularly care. I think the first sentence of my post was "I'm not very picky when it comes to alcohol."

I'm not one of those people who can rattle of the names of twenty craft breweries or can discern between different types of beer. I drink to get drunk and very occasionally I'll find something I don't mind.

Haven't even had alcohol in three months.
>>
Unfortunately I didn't like beer last time I was in central europe, but I had some neat stuff.

I had Absinthe in Prague and it was great. I ordered a shot for the equivalent of ~$4 CAD and then I get handed a "shot glass" nearly the size of a fucking cocktail glass filled.

I tried some weird 50% red wine 50% coca-cola mixture in Budapest. It was okay. I doubt I'd have it again.

I had some fruit brandies in Czech, Austria and Hungary.

I drank an entire bottle of wine from the bottle in Hungary and it was damn good and I'm not a wine fan.

I had the best mojito I've ever had in Prague in some half underground bar.

I had a godly Mint Julep just outside of New Orleans that was life changing.
>>
>>1046682
My drink choice is here: >>1050888
>>
>>1051859
Only 16 year olds drink coke mixed with red wine in Hungary, it's absolutely terrible.
>>
USAian here

I have the chance to try absinthe from Spain/Czechslovakia/a few other EU countries.

Well specifically, I'm in China and these bottles, though labeled
>imported
have a 90% chance of being produced and bottled in China (hopefully using a licensed recipe/formula).

should I go for it?
>>
>>1052960
>coke mixed with red wine
In China, red wine and sprite is very common. I find it pretty disturbing.
>>
>>1053394
>have a 90% chance of being produced and bottled in China (hopefully using a licensed recipe/formula).
If they're made in China then it's going to be fake alcohol and put you in hospital if you're unlucky. If it's not fake then it's probably actually imported.

I don't think there's really a middle ground here.
>>
>>1053632
I imagine that would have a Moscato or Champagne - esque taste
>>
File: IMG_20151121_220418.jpg (798 KB, 1536x2048) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151121_220418.jpg
798 KB, 1536x2048
>>1050168
I think I mean arak
>>
>>1053633

most alcohol and spirits in china are actually fake, in the way i described.

i've drank other fake alcohol and haven't died yet.

but then, those other alcohol and spirits didn't have wormwood as an ingredient.
>>
>>1047925

Rakia and mastika are fantastic. I brought about 3 litres of rakia back to Britain with me, the homemade stuff will absolutely fuck you up. Bulgarian wine is pretty fucking good too. Out of all the things I miss about Bulgaria the food and drink are probably #1.
Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.