[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is there any country or city that you regret visiting?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 79
Thread images: 2
Is there any country or city that you regret visiting?
>>
Not really. I've been to several dozen countries. While there were places I enjoyed significantly more than others, I don't think I have any major regrets or complaints. I was incredibly disappointed by Athens - it was such a filthy and rotten city, and that's coming from somebody who's enjoyed a lot of countries less developed than Greece.

But I wouldn't "take back" that excursion if I could. Likewise, while Iceland was beautiful, I don't view it as being a very memorable place. Again, though, I'm happy I went and still have lots of good memories of hitchhiking, making new friends, and seeing a unique place.
>>
Sofia
>>
Uzbekistan.

I read heaps about the history and fell in love with it. The country, however, felt like it lacked a certain sense of adventure since the gov wants you to stick to the main tourist sites and having to register at your hotel every night. It also surprised me how done up all the cities were for tourists. It was pretty easy mode to travel. Uzbeks are sound though and I like vokda and shashlyk, so I made the most out of it.

Unless you have a raging hard on for Islam architecture, I don't know if the $150 visa is justified.
>>
I regret Auckland what a disgusting shithole
>>
>>1046689
Kiwibro here, Auckland is only good if you're passing through to Northland or going south. Wellington is nice.

Went to Bali and spent too much time in the gross south and hippy as fuck Ubud. Lombok and the Gillies were good fun though.
>>
Ancona. Nothing good about it, at all
>>
>>1046689
Sorry about that. its more a city to be lived in rather than visit.
>>
Seattle. Simply too many negros.
>>
>>1046693
Anywhere in bali is great except candidasa,ubud and kuta.
>>
>>1046693
Traveling to NZ next year for work and I'll probably live in Auckland for a while.

From what I've seen Auckland looks really cool, what's so bad about it?
>>
Morocco. The country is very beautiful, but the people are so annoying that I don't recommend anyone going there.
>>
>>1046717
Wow, Morocco is pretty great. Try heading outside the tourist traps.
>>
Beppu. Fuck that city seriously
>>
>>1046689

Yep, as someone who has been there a few times due to family I can safely say it is the most boring city I've visited
>>
Prague.
Bunch of fucking rude cunts the lot of them.
Only nice people I met were the strippers and that's probably only because you pay them. Also the beer was good.
>>
>>1046705
>Seattle
>negros
lol, have you even been anywhere else in the US, like ever?
>>
>>1046720
I must admit I mainly sticked to Marrakesh because of my sister in law.
But any places you recommend? I really can't handle touts well, I'm a total push over.
>>
>>1046699
>>1046693
How is Nelson? My mom's got a cousin out there who moved like 25 years ago. We do have some contact with him, but I've never met him or his family. I was thinking of using an excuse to visit him and NZ generally at some point in the next couple years. I guess it's pretty small and not super-duper exciting. Just wondering.
>>
File: Feb 21st, 2013 106.jpg (43 KB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
Feb 21st, 2013 106.jpg
43 KB, 320x240
>>1046732
Nelson is old and stogey. Over the Takaka hill is some of the best tramping in New Zealand in the Abel Tasman national park and the chill as fuck golden bay/motueka and farewell spit which has dunes and seals and shit. Be sure to visit in summer and go get some dope fejioa cider from the Mussel inn.
>>
>>1046726
maybe it was you
>>
>>1046737
Don't think so desu. I've had great experiences all over europe and asia. Prague is the only place where people were plain rude.
>>
Spain in general.
Everything was bad. The worst thing about it is that they think they are so fucking good when it's pretty much shitty, so they don't even try to improve since they like to cater to shitty tourists.

When I hit Portugal, despite being a little poorer than Spain, everything was better, including the food.
>>
>>1046681
>Uzbekistan.

I meta a girl from Uzbekistan. One of the most irritating and entitled bitches I've ever met. She acted like a spoilt princess.
>>
>>1046698
Native Anconian here.

yep it sucks here :-(
>>
>>1046717
Morrocco is really bizarre

I have never met anyone as annoying as the people in Marrakesh and the other big cities

however, in the countryside they were amazingly kind. I've never met more respectful people in my life
>>
>>1046726
yeah, what's up with people from Prague being so fucking rude?

I've traveled wide around the world and I've never met ruder people
>>
>>1046757
food is really bad in Spain. Yet every single Spaniard is convinced that their food is amazing and best in the world
>>
>>1046780
There is good ham, good sandwiches, and the paella is nice.
But you will notice that everyone is thin and they dont eat dinner.
Food is just not that important to them.
Good fucking luck finding a decent cocktail.
>>
>>1046757
I loved Spain. It's on m retirement/work abroad list. I'm American, if that matters. What region of Spain was it? My experience was in Zaragaoza, and Andalucia.
>>
>>1046777
/trv/ rule one renders your opinion invalid
>>
Western Germany.
What a colossal waste of time and money when there's so many great places nearby.

6 years later and I'm still mad.
>>
>>1046786
>Western Germany

Which other Germany is there?
>>
>>1046791
Western part of Germany*
Are you happy now, Autismo?
>>
>>1046791
The Cold War may have ended but there are lingering differences between east west
>>
>>1046793
yes
>>
Yes,Venezuela horrible
>>
I don't regret anything, but I wouldn't go back to Riga anymore. The locals just seem to hate tourists.
>>
>>1046549
No. I've been vaguely disappointed a number of times (Sintra, Portugal--cool castles, but the town is nothing but an overpriced souvenir stand; love Cambodia, was occasionally moved by Angkor, but Siem Reap is a depressing overbuilt tourist trap), but never badly enough that I've wished I hadn't gone.
>>
>>1046788
What's so bad about Western Germany? How is it a worse place to visit than Belgium or France or east Germany?
>>
Well, I go on vacation a lot within Europe. Especially in the Netherlands, Luxembourg, Germany, Austria, Prague, Spain and Italy. And those countries never disappoint.

But every time I make a pit-stop in France near a highway I am disgusted by them.
The food is truly horrific. Never had a decent meal in France. There is always something wrong with it.
The people are rude and not helpful at all.
And the sanitation is terrible and often dirty.

French people often say: well, that's because those are dirty trucker / tourist spots or whatever. If you just go here or there..
But if you stop at a dirty trucker spot in Germany you get served perfectly well.
>>
>>1046827
>Prague
I meant the Czech republic. Also been to other places there. And Croatia.
>>
>>1046705
With an attitude like that it sounds like New York Paris and London would rate worse on your list.
>>
>>1046840
>London and Paris
>More black people than Seattle and New York
I want /int/ to leave
>>
>>1046784
I did almost the whole country. In fact, the only region I enjoyed was Andalucia, despite being one of the poorest. Everything was better and less of a rip-off, the people there are more humble and the landscapes are very nice.
I would recommend Andalucia easily over anywhere in Spain. And you might want to add Galicia. As far as Galicia goes, it's nice but you won't miss much.
Madrid is really a shit capital by European standards.
>>
Hanoi and Ho Chi Minh.

Scooters fucking everywhere, everywhere, everywhere. There was even some in my hotel room when I got back from my day out about the cities. Nearly got my bag snatched as well. I loved the country side of Vietnam but the main two cities drove me crazy, almost literally.

>inb4 some fag tells me I'm travelling wrong.
>>
Toronto

Just really shitty and my sister almost got sexually assaulted on the train. Montreal was 14 times better. Toronto just has no personality other than dirty curry smell.
>>
Paris

Too many tourists. Everything is expensive. People try to scam you or pick pocket you. French people don't want to speak English. People can't even queue probably forcing French African bodyguards to force the cutters out. French people eating at McDonald's thinking it's the best. Seriously?
>>
La Paz, Bolivia.
>>
Riga, just so ugly
>>
>>1046782
I live in Spain. They put their fucking ham in everything! Gets annoying quickly. There's also no big variety in food. The country is inefficient and their economical problems are entirely their own fault. It's still a nice country to live in, if you have a good job. Safe, low taxes, relaxed people, good weather and always something going on.

Denver is shit. Nothing interesting in that city.

I get sick of Las Vegas after one evening. It shows that Americans have no idea how to party, if they have to go there to have a good time.

Pretty much any large US city other than NY is boring.
>>
>>1046849
Zaragoza was all new to me traveling there at 19 year olds, first time outside of the USA. Wasn't that remarkable in retrospect. Saw the Basilica, ate, partied, and sight saw. Basic tourist stuff. Did have a steak there that tasted better than an I had to that date, the beef tasted different than the USA. This was all in 2001.

My visit to Andalucia is much more recent, was much more intimate, and honestly is what I think of when I think of Spain. Relaxed atmosphere, great weather, great people.

>>1046869
Food aside, and I am not much of a foodie. I eat not to be hungry, with an eye on content not to be fat. I honestly wish they'd make kibble for humans, where I can just eat for sustenance. Though I will say my favorite falvor is new, as you said, it doesn't take long to cover the cuisine of Spain. Still a wonderful country to live in if money isn't an issue. Hell, it's place you can enjoy being broke. Most of the people are. At least in Andalucia. Everybody just kind of hangs out chills, and parties all the time.
>>
The Philippines. I didn't particularly want to go in the first place, but was kind of coaxed into going. You would think such a diverse country with such an interesting history would be more vibrant and culturally interesting, but it's just not. It's really boring. I'll admit I'm not a beach person, but even Boracay is overrated.
>>
>>1046864
When I was in Chile I would hear other travelers brag about 'Oh I can handle it, I've been to La Paz" like it made them real OG real travelers™.
>>
>>1046549
>Warsaw

What an absolute shithole. I went to Katowice, Krakow and Gdansk before that which were great and then I ended up in that complete abomination of a city. The first thing I saw when I stepped outside of the trainstation was an old woman who crouched down on the street, Pulled up her dress and defecated on the street. Kurwa.
>>
>>1046852
Nah I agree partially. HCM is an insane shithole, however Hanoi, Hoi An and Hue are nice. But if you hate it for the scooters I guess you've only been to Vietnam in Asia, since that is the same in almost every South-East Asian country + China.
>>
>>1046864
I bet you didn't go to Ruta 66 and powdered your nose. That's the only reason to go to La Paz.
>>
>>1046859
I liked toronto but yeah theres not a whole lot to do, chinatown is nice

and yeah montreal is so much better
>>
Xi'an

just not worth going to when the only thing really unique about it was the terracotta warriors and its walls

hotter than the sun too
>>
File: image.jpg (129 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
129 KB, 640x640
>>1046987
I don't really recall seeing that many scooters in the other Asian countries I visited, just Vietnam. There seemed to be more scooters on the pavement than there were on the road, and there was a billion on the road!
>>
I heartily regret wasting time on Sanibel island in Florida.

This is not strictly the fault f anything to do with Sanibel, just happened to be there in the days following a storm that tossed a lot of dead, and subsequently rotting and thus stinking, seafood u on the beach.

Gag provoking to be on the beach.

I am told it is not always like that.
>>
>>1046728
Only San Deigo, but I was too young to be afraid of them then.
>>
>>1046998
I liked Xi'an more than Shanghai. Although Wuhan is my favorite Chinese city out of the 4 i have visited.
>>
>>1046549
Toulouse, France, was far more boring than I expected for being a big city and being home to one of the big Universities and Airbus. Snoozeville.

And Moldova... fuck Moldova. Expensive, corrupt, shitty roads. If I were forced to go back I'd probably go to Transnistria because that sounds at least a little interesting.
>>
Seoul.
Boring city, especially at the height of that Top40 stupid song. Gangnam style.

We went to that area expecting it to be as delightful as Tokyo Japan's high rent districts... it was just a hill with a few shops and a Samsung flagship store showroom.

90% of the subway stops do not have escalators... and the traffic pattern of people moving around inside is literally anyway you can get up or down the stairs is fine , not orderly at all.

I think every food item was drowned in hot salt, and malt beer. fuck that place. Luckily it was just a business trip and not on my dime.
North Korea probably really is best Korea.
>>
>>1047193
You sound like a stick in the mud desu. Seoul is very cheap for a huge city, and fun. Hot salty food obviously isn't going to be to everyone's taste and that's fine, but if you can't have a good time in Seoul you're a twat. Very solid nightlife.

>90% of the subway stops do not have escalators..

Fat-ass.
>>
>>1047195
Whisper Alley, Okinawa
>>
>>1047195
nightlife consists of sticking your feet in that river? Oh wow... what a thrill!
Oh you mean the horrible nightclubs with a bunch of douechnozzles in black clothing. I could experience that in ANY major city. Thats not unique to Korea, you pleb.
Nor am I a fat ass, I could be a god for /fit/... just saying that their infrastructure is not good How would you like to be a old cobbler having to deal with stairs EVERYWHERE.. or a crappy metal grate device to hoist you up.. or have no signs pointing in the direction of sites. Instead, you are on your own.
>>
>>1047180
Why the hell did you go to Moldova in the first place?
>>
>>1047195

Korea has the most boring variety of food compared to China and Japan

I dont even know how they have stable cooking channels when they're food culture is so limited they cook the same thing every fucking week.

though their Pet Park channel is pretty enjoyable :>
>>
>>1047224
>Nor am I a fat ass, I could be a god for /fit/...
Pffft Hahaha. Oh man...

Fucking relax man. Lol you mention "douchenozzles", talk about the pot calling the kettle black.

>>1047299
>their food culture is so limited they cook the same thing every fucking week

I have no idea about China, but Japan has their staples too... If you think Japanese families aren't eating kare raisu every other night you a pretty wrong.
>>
>>1047193
Gotta agree with you. Seoul is boring as fuck, and I've been to many places in Asia.
Also, Korean food is absolute rubbish and is kind of "poor".
>>
>>1046699
Is this a joke?

Auckland is by far the worst place I've ever lived anywhere in the world.

What an absolute shithole.
>>
>>1046726
>>1046779
This. I was there over the summer, and although the architecture and the town itself was gorgeous, the people reminded me of Bostonians more than anywhere else I've ever been to. Can any Czech-anons help me figure out why this is?
>>
Algeria, everything is shitty (food, people, services, transport, hotels etc..)
I'm not surprised why i've never seen a thread about Algeria in /trv/
>>
Mokpo, South Korea. What a dump.
>>
>>1047270
On our way to Kyiv from London. It was on the way, and we thought, "Why not?" Only afterwards did we realize the answer was "Because it's a fucking shithole."
>>
>>1047317
This

Japanese people say im picky when they eat the same 4 or 5 things every single day. Octopus, squid, intestines, raw meat, fermented bean sprouts. Sound appetizing? Yuck.

Cant even cook stuff i want to make because stores have no variety, its literally only stuff to make noodles, fish and rice. And a few basic meats, fruits and veggies
>>
I never liked anywhere in Canada
Thread replies: 79
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.