[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Going to hang out in Thailand for awhile. What should I eat?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 6
Going to hang out in Thailand for awhile.

What should I eat?

I feel all sorts of sexual innuendo coming on, but let it come. So to speak.
>>
McDonald's, Thai food if you don't have enough money.
>>
>>1046443
Golly, how provocative.
>>
>>1046419
Take advantage of their fresh fruits. Theres plenty that are quite exclusive to Thailand and perhaps S.E Asia and they're cheap.
>>
File: Rambutan-1.jpg (18 KB, 300x200) Image search: [Google]
Rambutan-1.jpg
18 KB, 300x200
>>1046459

This TBH
>>
Green pappaya salads in Thailand are truly god tier. Got to have some pad thai too.

You should drink mango shakes also, they are great.
>>
Mango and Sticky rice
green curry
panang curry
Simple Chicken rice
Tom yum kung
Isaan style BBQ

Lots of Thai food is pretty strange and hard to eat to be honest. But it does grow on you the more you eat it.

Its incredibly hot and spicy too, even for people who like heat.
>>
>>1046462
>Green pappaya salads
Called Som Tam AKA Papaya pok pok.

That and a BBQ chicken is my favourite lunch in Thailand and possibly anywhere.
>>
What do Thais eat for breakfast? Or any asian for that matter.
All cooked and spiced food strikes me as being strictly dinner material.
>>
File: kanom krok.jpg (49 KB, 400x258) Image search: [Google]
kanom krok.jpg
49 KB, 400x258
These little bastards here, when hot and frsh, are what God has when He is a little peckish and wants something delicious.

And GoD has lots of choices -- literally all of them, so if He picks this, you know it is good.
>>
File: Bugs.jpg (571 KB, 1600x1066) Image search: [Google]
Bugs.jpg
571 KB, 1600x1066
Eating bugs is actually pretty nice. Just look for the stalls Thai people are buying from and not the ones that charge for photos.
>>
>>1046488
Ever had congee? Most of Asia eats some form of a rice porridge.

The thing about Asian breakfasts is that they're usually some sort of leftovers from the evening before. Like fried rice. Asians don't have "set" breakfast dishes like Europeans/North Americans do. A lot of them these days eat western style breakfasts. And yeah I agree that their food even during breakfast is something you'd expect to see for lunch or dinner in the west. For example they add meat to their porridge, often eat a spicy soup, and less sweet foods like you see in the west with pancakes or waffles.

I think of almost the entire east asia region only dim-sum is something you should typically only eat for breakfast. And even that is eaten more of a weekend brunch.
>>
I'm going to Thailand for 6 weeks and am allergic to nuts and seafood. Any advice?

I'm throw up and take benedryl not hospital kind of allergic so I'm not super worried. Probably going to print off some of those allergy cards to give to people and stock up on 7-11 snacks a lot.
>>
>>1047381
Can you eat things fried in nut oil? If you can't you will have to stick to items that are either boiled or steamed. Otherwise with fried things you will run the chance that it's fried in peanut or soybean oil. Carry those allergy cards everywhere and write out a sentence asking if they use a nut oil because there's a possibility that they will say there's no nuts in the dish but it's fried in peanut oil.

Seafood might not be as easy to avoid either as some dishes are cooked with shrimp paste but for the most part if you stick to grilled meat you should be good.

Carry toilet paper with you...
>>
>>1047405
I'm working on desensitizing myself to peanuts, but not sure if I'll get there by the time I travel. Soybean oil is fine.

Grilled meat sounds like the way to go I appreciate the suggestion thanks. Sounds like I'll be going through a fair bit of benadryl and tp!
>>
File: IMG-20151103-WA0001.jpg (145 KB, 900x1600) Image search: [Google]
IMG-20151103-WA0001.jpg
145 KB, 900x1600
>>1046488
Thai breakfast. Girlfriend cooked this.
>>
>>1047381
>and am allergic to nuts and seafood.

Almost everything has peanuts in it, everything else has seafood.
>>
>>1047591
Is it just peanuts and not other nuts as much? I've desensitized myself to like a teaspoon of peanut powder so far and have got two months before I go.
>>
>>1047587
No scrambled eggs
No toast
>breakfast

Nigga please
>>
>>1047673
Yeah it's pretty much only peanuts. They eat cashews as well and sometimes other nuts but those are more expensive so you're unlikely to eat them when eating street food or average restaurants.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/user/migrationology

^Check out this guys channel.

He has dozens upon dozens of videos on places he's ate at in Thailand and he has summary vids of the year too.

You'll find all the best places to eat at his channel.
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.