[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Have you ever traveled to Mexico? How was your experience?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 5
File: mexico map.jpg (41 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
mexico map.jpg
41 KB, 500x375
Have you ever traveled to Mexico?

How was your experience?
>>
>>1046299
As a mexican who has done a fair bit of domestic travel, I think it really depends on your budget and the part of the country you want to visit. The place where I have had the best time was in Xilitla, San Luis Potosi, a little hidden gem stuck in a region that is a bit violent nowadays. Guanajuato is a nice old city, Mexico City has stuff for everyone, Cancun is a touristic shithole and Playa is a bit better. Oaxaca is a rather poor but otherwise strong in tradition state with good food(and sometimes disgusting such as crickets). I've also heard good things of Chiapas but I've never been there.

So yeah, it depends on what you want to do, and where you want to go. It has enough relatively safe states to cater the needs of most kinds of travelers
>>
>>1046299
I've been to Mexico many times. My favorite places are probably Mexico City, which I approached with terror but found delightful, and Oaxaca, which has one of the cleanest and best-preserved historical centers I've seen anywhere in Mexico (another is in Querétaro).
>>
>>1046299
I spent a few weeks traveling through the southern and central states. From Quintana Roo to Jalisco. It's my favourite country that I've been to so far. I think you can find everything you're looking for in one of the regions of the country so I highly recommend going.
>>
>>1046313
Going to playa in a week.

Any recomendations?
>>
>>1046356
not him but if you go there for the beach I hope you enjoy the seaweed.
>>
>>1046359
I know its been a problem is it bad right now?
>>
spent 6 weeks traveling from cancun to guadalajara. safety was not an issue, i felt relatively safe. although i did throw up a hail mary or two on my first 10 hour night bus. i was surprised to encounter a very low number of fellow americans. the food is great, the weather wasnt bad at all. rain was minimal from mid july to end of august. my favorite state was chiapas. i shouldve stayed in san cristobal longer but it was my first backpacking trip and i was eager to move on.

i stayed only in hostels. except for the few nights i stayed with locals. i went to see the pyramids, but after youve seen one, youve seen them all. i recommend calakmul site tho. and palenque was impressive as well. isla mujeres is a small island north of cancun, easily accesible and no seaweed. didnt go to playa, but went to tulum and the beach was full of algae.
mexico city was cool. its really big but the metro makes it easy to get around. i got stuck doing really touristic shit but its such a big city that you can get frozen and end up not doing anything if you dont have a plan.

mexicans are really fun to party with. lively bunch. 10/10 would go back.
>>
>>1046384
>calakmul
Looks very out of the way. How did you get there?
>>
>>1046299
Visitied Mexico City in july, I had a blast there. Most of the people were nice, the public transport there is very accessible and easy to use.
>>
i grew up in south texas and about half my family is still in mostly northern mexico. I have fond memories of taking buses and roadtrips to Monterey and San Luis, I mostly appreciated the vibes of the desolate roads and small towns along the way but that might just be the person i am. We havent been in awhile, not that the imminent danger is keeping us away so much but I guess its not really worth the risk. I had the most fun in Mexico City and the surrounding pyramids. Never been south of there but I'm actually looking forward to visiting some Mayan sites next year
>>
File: 1348125270492.jpg (43 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
1348125270492.jpg
43 KB, 500x375
>>1047436

I'm going to Mexico City next week. How did you feel being out after dark? I'm getting some conflicting advice about not being out after sunset due to risk of mugging/etc.

Also, how much did you spend each day on food? I'm planning on $20/day including alcohol, wasn't sure if I'm planning too much or too little there.
>>
>>1047993
It really depends. If you stick to popular and cheaper places that can be enough budget. It will not be enough to drink even if you buy at convenience stores.
>>
Hey guys,

I'm having a little bit of a dilemma. I'd like to go to Mexico over spring break and spend some extra time there. I was thinking of between two and two and a half weeks, from about the 3rd of March through the 16th or 17th. I had originally planned on flying into the capital, but it seems like I might be out of luck on airfare unless prices begin to decrease. To clarify, a month or two back, I'd seen flights for $330 from DTW, which is the closest major airport to me. Then they went up to $480, back down to $380, and are at $500+ and only show signs of climbing.

I don't know if I should keep waiting or give up on Mexico City and book a flight to Cancun, which is stable around $300-$350. However, I've traveled quite a bit and I know my preferences - I don't think I'd enjoy Cancun, given its reputation and status as a "party place."

If fares to MEX don't drop back down, what can I do around Cancun that doesn't involve actually being in the city of Cancun? I'm very open to suggestions. I like meeting ordinary local people, seeing cultural stuff, making new friends, eating food, socially drinking, and visiting natural sights.

I really wish I'd bought a ticket when it was $370 last week. I tried to, but the fare hadn't been updated on Skyscanner in a few hours, and the price had apparently risen by $150 in the meantime.
>>
>>1048118
Literally just bought a ticket about an hour ago from MEX to DTW for $430 right after Christmas. Just wait. The price will get better. Look at American airlines, the non-stops on Delta are way higher.
>>
>>1048134

Yeah, I'm using Skyscanner and primarily checking the prices for American. It's just gone up by over $150 in the last week, so I'm getting a little worried. I normally don't stress too much about fares, but I'm trying to save so I can afford a motorcycle. I've flown a ton in the last couple of years and I've never seen prices just go up and down and up and down so rapidly.
>>
How much spanish would you guys recommend knowing before going? I can currently read spanish fairly well, I just have trouble with remembering what certain verbs/nouns mean. And my conversational spanish is very very basic. How much does this play into it all? like can i just walk around and be like ?que es bano, que es bueno comida?
>>
File: Yucatán_Peninsula_map.png (3 MB, 2500x2800) Image search: [Google]
Yucatán_Peninsula_map.png
3 MB, 2500x2800
>>1048118
Maybe you can find a cheap flight from Cancun to Mexico City.
But the Yucatan peninsula is very interesting if you ask me. I've never been, but it's high on my list.
>>
>>1048118
I think it's pretty much like apples to oranges. Mexico City (DF) is a metropolitan city vacation, with all the amazingness of manhattan with regards to architecture, history, museums and restaurants, as well as world class shopping. City vacations DO cost more in terms of transportation expenses getting around, little things like buying drinks to use bathrooms, entrance fees, and tips here and there. A few more expenses in place just to carry items discreetly or else buy them as needed throughout a day, like water and snacks. A yucatan peninsula vacation is truly a beach idea, where you relax inside a walled in and protected resort to get no stress about how you're going to eat, where and when, and no one can approach you to sell something, and yea, if you dive or snorkel, even less boring. Hotel prices can vary in both, but with regards to Mexico and what sketchiness exists for foreigner safety, it's a better idea to stay in the top 5 hotels for any given neighborhood, and use _their_ transportation/drivers when venturing around.
>>
>>1048179
What I mean to say is that for a budget traveler, it's one thing to want a cheap expense controlled vacation because there is a limit to your funds that _should_ be spent, and that's pretty much going to be a package or a cruise that helps you with that. It's another thing when you only want to spend X amount budgetwise, but if expenses go over, then you are broke. City vacations you need to allow about double what you think, and then hope you can keep it down to your budget. Resorts, you calculate like 25% over, figuring tips and upcharges for better food and drinks.
>>
>>1048179
>>1048180
Going to Yucatan does not necessarily mean he'll only have resorts to go to. Upon landing in Cancun he can always take the first bus out of there towards Valladolid or Merida.
>>
>>1048196

I'm traveling by myself and have zero interests in staying in a resort. At risk of sounding like one of this board's fabled "Real Travelers," the reason I'm reluctant to travel to Cancun is precisely because I don't want to get stuck in the tourist bubble.

I'm going to Mexico to go to Mexico and see Mexican things, not hang out with other Americans and do American things.
>>
>>1046299
How would Mexico (Cancun or Playa del Carmen) compare to Thailand if you are only interested in lazying about for two weeks (beach, sun, food and drink)?
>>
>>1048226
There is plenty real traveler stuff to see in Yucatan I imagine. Spring break, so you're going for a week max?
>>
>>1048226
I spent a few weeks traveling through the southern states. I partly agree with you regarding Cancun. It's not a great city if you're not looking for resorts. However I flew into Cancun as that's where the cheapest flights go to but only stayed for 1 day before going to Valladolid. Then went to Merida and later to Campeche. All 3 of those cities are wonderful to visit and are not overrun with tourists but have enough travelers to hang out with.

The bus system is really good in Mexico and you can get to most places by bus no problem.

What sort of things do you want to see/do there?
>>
>>1048240

I'm going to skip a few days of class before and after break, so it'll probably be closer to two or two and a half weeks. This'll be my shortest international trip by far, but I think it's enough time to see some stuff.

>>1048266

Cool. What are those cities like? Are they particularly large or lively?

I'm honestly not a very picky traveler when it comes to where I end up. I've traveled to a few dozen countries and enjoyed them all immensely. Honestly, I can have a blast just sitting in a busy square for a few hours and people-watching, or wandering around a new place at night. My favorite parts of traveling are always just making friends, exploring a different culture, and getting to see awesome land- and cityscapes.

I had fun paragliding in Colombia, so adrenaline rushes are a plus, too.
>>
>>1048227

Almost as good, much cheaper. I'd recommend Cozumel over Cancun, however. It's an island that's self contained, so you can resnt a scooter and just do the island loop, checking out different places.
>>
>>1048266
I'm thinking of something similar-- Cancun to tulum to merida or something...
>>
>>1048279
Wasn't around for a few days...
>What are those cities like? Are they particularly large or lively?

Valladolid is small, I think like 20-30k people. It's awesome though. Very pretty little town with lots to see in the area. It's close to Chichen Itza so you can make it there before the Cancun buses arrive. There's also Ek Balam which is really close by and when I went there only like 5-10 other people were around. Merida is a big city, I think 1 million people. It looks quite wealthy and it's apparently the safest city in Mexico so a lot of rich folks move there to escape dealing with shit elsewhere. It's very lively. Campeche is a medium sized city but I found it to be somewhat sleepy when I went around Christmas. Very beautiful town and it seems like a lot of people skip it on their itinerary.

>>1049204
Well Tulum these days is almost like Cancun from what I hear. Apparently even like 10-15 years ago it was a smaller town where mostly backpackers would hang out. Now there's a ton of resorts there. I never went there. So if you want that sort of beach party atmosphere it's probably a good place to go. Otherwise I would head the other way into the heartland of the Yucatan. Depending how much time you have you can go to San Cristobal and further to Oaxaca.
>>
It's super awesome. I recommend going to Mazatlan which is on the west coast side of Mexico. It has the largest Malecón of all South America. It's basically a sidewalk by the ocean, it's really nice. The food is amazing as well
>>
as a mexican immigrant who cannot go back to mexico, I've heard both good and bad things from relatives and friends.
Relatives enjoy the sense of peace and tranquility the far suburbs of Chicago present.
But American friends who visit end up loving our southern neighbor.
The most recent example is a collegiate friend who went with his family for under a month, he had a blast rock climbing and swimming. Their trip was not in common nor well known tourist places. I cannot remember where he went, but he enjoyed the humble locals and the freedom to do activities.
He mentioned one guide prepared a peyote tea cocktail for him and he tripped for a day. He enjoyed the food and he spoke about his trip over Mexican food in our college town.
E was a cool guy but now I wonder if e was pulling my leg...i wasn't in a normal frame of mind my last year of college, suffering a breakdown of sorts, and when I remember college, I find myself not trusting of my cognitive abilities during this period. So I cannot say if he was truthful or if he felt I was a fool and could exaggerate and lie--only telling me what I wished to hear--so he could feel superior in his magnanimity in offering me a easy, no problem trip and praising my country.

Apologies. now is not the time nor place to speak of such matters.

TL;DR:

Misanthropic college buddy liked Mexico
>>
I was just sit to make a thread, and then I saw this.

I'm going to Mexico in 2 days. I'm spending 8 nights with a friend at an all inclusive resort near Akumal/Tulum.

Anyone have any advice on any extra shit I should pack, or what to do while I'm down there if we do end up going off the resort? This is second time I've ever traveled out of the country, and I'm not with my family or on a school trip.
>>
>>1049248
You won't need anything that you wouldn't pack for a trip to the coast in America. Basically just bring beach clothes. Everything else you'll need can be found there. They have walmarts there...
>>
File: tulum.jpg (315 KB, 1600x817) Image search: [Google]
tulum.jpg
315 KB, 1600x817
>>1049217
Tulum was touristy, but not resort-focused. Mayan ruins right next to the beach like this is pretty spectacular. There's little accommodation by the beach (a good thing), so you need a way to get back and forth from the city where there's lots of cheap accom.
>>
>>1049248
I went to the Coba pyramids which was an easy daytrip from Tulum/Akumal (iirc I took a locals bus there and back). I don't remember being overly impressed though.

The Tulum site (as seen >>1049549) is definitely worth going to, although it's really busy.
>>
>>1046299

I did Mazatlan once for spring break, and it wasn't great. I expected beautiful beaches and wild, crazy times, but didn't really get either. I was surprised at how strict the clubs were about things like dancing on tables, girls not being able to go topless, etc.

Later in life, I spent a couple months in Cuernavaca studying Spanish. It was a great time. Stayed with a host family. During my time there, I took trips to Mexico City (and Teotihuacan), Taxco (interesting silver mining town), a small mountain town called Buena Vista, and Acapulco. These places were all pretty great. Acapulco was better than Mazatlan, but I hear crime is worse there now a days, and it still didn't have those gorgeous beaches you see on TV and shit. I guess for that you have to do Cancun, Cozumel and Cabo. The places that start with, "C" apparently.
>>
Mérida is amazing. If you get out that way, be sure to check out the cenotes and Chichen Itza. Avoid Cancún like the plague it is. They accept the U.S. dollar there. If you don't end up in a place where the U.S. dollar isn't accepted you're doing it wrong.
>>
>>1048141
what is bathroom, and what is good food is literally what you typed.

try Donde esta el bano which means where is the bathroom, and Donde esta comida bueno. where is good food. maybe throw in the word sabor which means flavor. I'm very much still a gringo tho. I've just lived in SoCal my entire life
>>
File: ticket.jpg (104 KB, 739x526) Image search: [Google]
ticket.jpg
104 KB, 739x526
>>1048279
>>1048118

This guy.

I found and purchased a ticket from JetBlue to Mexico City for $350. Any suggestions? I'll be there for exactly two weeks in March.
>>
>>1049248
Take bug spray for sure. Going overnight to Valladolid would be fun.
Tulum has got a well developed tourist strip but not as pushy as playa's fifth avenue. Still 5th ave is also worth a side trip.
Im going in January for a month and a bit but will go mainly inland to Merida, loltun, Campeche, and am thinking of heading also to san Cristobal. I'm renting a car tho.
>>
>>1046361
There is a thread with photos on the playa info forum
>>
>>1049653
Its best to end up in a place they don't speak English IMO
>>
only thing about Mexico is it is infested with Triatominae or kissing bugs, they are all over hostels..one bite from them and you can enjoy a good cardio-life, also TB rampant! You will get sick in Mexico! Also no food saftey at all..no one checks to see if roaches crawl on your food before it is served..go at your own risk
>>
>>1051555

>hi i have never been anywhere even remotely shitty
>>
>>1051555
Bedbugs are not a thing in the part of Mexico I am from, at all. Also never heard of anyone catching TB. You are so full of shit.
>>
>>1051574
U.S.-Mexico Border: Hotspot for Drug-Resistant TB
3/8/2013 10:30PM
The Tijuana General Hospital TB Clinic in Mexico is working to treat drug-resistant strains of tuberculosis. Many people with the deadly disease enter the U.S. from Mexico. WSJ's Betsy McKay reports. Photo: Sandy Huffaker/The Wall Street Journal
>>
>>1051555
those bugs are all over the southern U.S. as well. Do you not go there too?
Get a life! I am not living mine in fear asswipe.
Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.