[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
South and/or Central America
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 7
File: IMAG0205.jpg (647 KB, 3024x5376) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0205.jpg
647 KB, 3024x5376
Hi /trv/,

My girlfriend and I are planning to go to Central/South America in January 2016. We have talked about quite a few different options, including Mexico, Ecuador & Galapagos, Peru or Argentina. We have three weeks, and none of us have been to that entire part of the world before. We don’t want to go too many places while we are there as spending time on going from a to b isn’t that fun. Taking the weather in to consideration are there any parts of the central and south America where it would not make sense to go?

Suggestions, recommendation and all in between would be greatly appreciated, both of us are from Denmark and we can’t wait to go to the last continent (besides the artic) we haven’t been to.
>>
Day two bump
>>
File: galapagos tortoise fight.jpg (97 KB, 728x582) Image search: [Google]
galapagos tortoise fight.jpg
97 KB, 728x582
>Ecuador & Galapgos

Highly recommend if the natural history and significance of the islands is of interest to you. One of my bet trips ever.

Can be pricey, though.

I've also had some good times in Colombia.

What sort of stuff interests you, and how heat-tolerant are you?
>>
>>1046197

Experiencing the islands is something I have planned to do for quite some time, the idea is to do some diving while we are there. One thing that worries me is El Niño wont that hit around December/January? If so wont that make the weather very unpredictable?

Colombia could also be an option, i have also thought about seeing Chile and Argentina any know if that is doable in 3 weeks time?

The budget matters but not that much, we are already flying half-way round the world
>>
Costa Rica
>>
If you don't mind a portuguese speaking country (assuming you speak spanish) you could got to Brazil. Any place at the coast is fine, except in the south region (it's usually cold). Our coin is cheap right now, it's the perfect opportunity for a trip :)

Also, heuaheuahbrrbrbrbr
>>
>>1046576

Hadn't even considered Costa Rica, I'll check it out anything specific you would recommend?
>>
>>1046601

Well my Spanish is pretty shitty so the language spoken doesn't matter that much, we managed travelling in China and there we couldn't even read the signs. I guess the issue with going south would be the same as heading to Patagonia right? Well I assume Patagonia would be a lot colder, it has to mentioned that we will be leaving a country with about 7-8 hours of light a day a temperatures below 0
>>
File: sharks galapagos.jpg (28 KB, 810x602) Image search: [Google]
sharks galapagos.jpg
28 KB, 810x602
>>1046566
I don;t know about El Nino and jhow it impacts conditions there, sorry. Google probably know lots, though.

ut try to get into the cut at Kicker Rock while the sun is high -- this pic was taken after the cut was in shade, and so isn't as great a pic as I wanted,, but the experience was great. And this was just snorkeling.

DO be prpared for rough water between islands, really at any time.

If you do one of the little sleep-aboard boats that go from island to island, they make their crossings at night, while you "sleep," I was never quite thrown out of bed but it was a near thing.
>>
>>1045600
It really depends on what you want.
City trip
Nature/Outdoor stuff
Beach
Wine and Culture

Been to Brasil, Argentina, Uruguay, Chile just a few weeks ago and go there regularly.
>>
>>1046611

Awesome that you got to see that many sharks at the same time! I would really love to see that as well!

>>1046637

Great question! The two items on that list with the highest priority would be Nature/Outdoor (me) and Wine and Culture (gf) well maybe she is more keen on the Drinks and Beach option

Since you have been to those countries often what would you recommend? Is it possible to see both mountains, dive, some wine and culture, and maybe stop by some rainforest to treck and sleep outside. I know that is a ton of stuff but I figured I might as well ask about what the best experiences are and then I can always reduce from there
>>
File: 1446244403902_2.jpg (17 KB, 810x602) Image search: [Google]
1446244403902_2.jpg
17 KB, 810x602
>>1046611

Btw, you should do some white balance correction of your images. I gave to one you posted a go
>>
>>1046709
It's entirley doable but involves quiet a few flights that are cheap but not for free or long distance bus trips that are really cheap but can be annoying.

Sao Paulo, explore the city for a few days, just have fun
Iguazu, about a 2 hour flight from Sao Paulo, get your jungle experience and see the Iguazu Falls. both the Brasilian and Argentinien side are worth a visit.
Buenos Aires, again about 2 hours flight or well 17hours bus ride, Tango, great food, sightseeing.
Montevideo/Punta del Este, 2hour ferry ride, The city is pretty cool and special compared to any other south american city, punta del este is the "beach resort" of uruguay (about 2h by bus) and diving is possible at the Isla de Lobos
Santiago de Chile, 2.5h flight from Montevideo, the city is nice but it's just another city but it's surrounded by awesome nature and the gateway to many cool places like:
Valparaiso/Vina del Mar: (2hour bus ride, usually almost for free) Beautiful beach cities, diving is possible, a lot of great small restaurants on the hills and a lot of top class vineyards in the area.
Mendoza: (2hours bus from Santiago) it's the home of the Malbec wine and also a great spot for hiking and outdoor stuff
Puerto Montt/Puerto Varas: (2hour flight, 12hours bus ride) Paradies for any outdoor/adventure fan. Almost untouched nature and what ever outdoor activity you're looking for you will find it.
>>
>>1046746

Thank you so much! I'll definitely consider the options you have listed!
>>
File: MONANA.jpg (495 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
MONANA.jpg
495 KB, 1024x768
>>1046709
if your interests are outdoors and wine, you should DEFINITELY go to Chile. Here we produce some of the finest wines of the world, and there are regular tours based on the process of making wine. Visit the north of Chile if you want to see a desertical landscape, and the south if you want to explore untouched forests or mountainous regions. And don't bother with any of the cities, they aren't worth your time
>>
>>1046709
Man desu, just 3 weeks? I would only go to 1 country. Otherwise you're just rushing for the sake of seeing more countries.

I've travelled basically all countries in SA and Costa Rica, Panama and Belize in MA. Seeing from your priority list there are 2 countries I would recommend to you to do either do only Peru or only Colombia. If you really want to do two countries I'd say that you'd have to fly between two not bordering countries, picking from Bolivia, Ecuador and Venezuela.

I absolutely think 3 weeks is even too short for 1 country tho. The reason I'm not naming any of the MA countries I've been is because they're expensive as fuck and I'm into outdoor hiking/trekking and diving which does sound like you. If you want all that go to Colombia, if you want better trekking and not so much diving, Peru anytime.
>>
>>1047070
Too bad Chileans can't be objective. There are way better options in SA the only reason to bother going there are Atacama Desert and Patagonia. Chileans are objectively the most arrogant and unfriendly people in SA. Other Latinos will agree.
>>
>>1046604
Costa Rica is beautiful but so expensive compared to its neighbours... I recommend Nicaragua, very very cheap (private rooms with private bathrooms for 13$), beautiful and not too touristy yet
>>
>>1045600
I have been to Mexico, Costa Rica and Panama in that part of the world. (Cuba as well but that's a different kind of travel destination)

Mexico was by far my favorite country. I was there in January and that is the perfect time to visit the country. You can get any weather you want, from tropical 28-32 degrees by the beaches in the Yucatan, to around 20 (just above freezing at night) in the central highlands, Mexico City or Guanajuato.

>>1046709
Mexico is rich in nature and culture so you'll both get your fill. For culture I suggest going to San Cristobal and Oaxaca. For nature, it really depends what you want. Jungles in the south, deserts in the north, beaches and mountains all over.

I can also recommend Costa Rica which is not as diverse in climates but has the most diverse ecosystem in the world. It's great if you're a nature lover and wants to see wild animals and trek through jungles. If you have any questions about either one let me know.
>>
My personal vote goes to Peru. Spent around 2 weeks there a while back, beautiful country with nice people although the elevation can take a toll depending on where you are.

Obviously if you're in Peru don't miss Machu Picchu, it is every bit as impressive as people say. I recommend hiking there rather than taking the train - there is a 4 day 3 night hike you can do which is drop dead gorgeous.

Wherever you go, enjoy!
>>
>>1047407

Mexico has been relatively high in our minds most of the time, I looked in to it but it appears that the chance of diving with whale sharks around January are about zero since they don't show up till later. All the other things you wrote sounds just like our kind of trip! Doing a side quest in Costa Rica should be doable when we have three weeks, would you agree? I really love jungles and spotting wild animals - Is Costa Rica really expensive? as >>1047404
mentioned?

>>1047410

Thanks for the heads up would you say that spending three weeks there is too much? I guess we could always use equal amounts of time in the mainland and the other half on the Galapagos

>>1047404
I never thought about heading to Nicaragua, I try to done some quick reading about it
>>
>>1047081

You are probably right - I dont normally rush, i guess I am just partly frightened by no longer having close to unlimited travel time and partly surprised by the vast amount of opportunities there are in all the countries i have not seen yet!

Colombia and Peru are hereby added to me shortlist, thanks. I'm in to outdoor hiking/trekking and diving so your assumption is probably quite spot on - well I also spend quite some time photographing people while I am away
>>
>>1046712
Thank you.
>>
File: image.jpg (105 KB, 648x960) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
105 KB, 648x960
>>1047410
>>1047430
OP, you can easily spend 3 awesome weeks in Peru. And if you're going to trek to Machu Picchu as the other anon recommended, don't do the Inca Trail as he says but go for Salkantay, which is 5 days 4 nights. It's an absolutely insane trek (more difficult than Inca Trail tho). Other recommendations for Treks in Peru are in the area around Huaraz in the Andes. Santacruz is the best trek there. There are also mountainclimbing tours which involve iceclimbing during nightfall which is insanely awesome and an adrenaline rush.

As the other anon says tho, be wary of altitude sickness and take time to adapt. You can also do Amazon treks in Peru, sleeping in longhuts during night. You'll see shitloads of wildlife.

There's also a lot of extreme sports possibilities rafting, sandboarding, paragliding etc.

>>1047431
I photograph a lot as well OP. Good opportunities in Peru, most locals don't mind (pic related). Make sure to bring a polarisation or UV filter tho, the sun is bright in the Andes.
>>
File: image.jpg (227 KB, 624x960) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
227 KB, 624x960
>>1047494
>>1047431
One more at Lake Titicaca
>>
>>1047430
No, Costa Rica is not really expensive. It's more expensive than other Central American countries and Mexico but at the same time it's still a decently priced place for Europeans or Americans/Canadians.

If you stay in hostels and eat locally you'll spend around $30 a day. If you eat in touristy restaurants you'll pay $30 per meal. Now trekking into the jungle will likely be kinda expensive. They pretty much started regulating all national parks to ensure more jobs for the locals so for most of the parks you can't go in without a guide. In Corcovado I paid $200 for 3 days in the jungle and that didn't include food which I had to bring in.
>>
>>1046566
I can tell you that, at least in Colombia, you can see different things in a short period of time, since it has many small cities, landscapes and weathers. It's like 5 countries in 1.
>>
>>1047085
>Found the Argentine poster

Go cry about the Falklands
>>
Chile is expensive.

I love BA but it can be hot and humid at that time of year.

Uruguay has Punta Del Esta and it is hopping in January.
>>
Thanks all! there is a lot to read up on, I just came back from 4 days in Paris where the hotel WiFi had blocked 4chan...
>>
>>1049348
you should go to peru, be careful not to twist your ankle whilst trekking with tour guides though.
>>
>>1050160

great advice :)
>>
>>1049348
hey man, I'm from Peru.

Come chill. Don't take ayahuasca unless it seems 100% legit(some people are kidnappers). Drugs are cheap.

Go to Mancora(Piura) if you're young and want to have fun. Cuzco if you want to see incan shit. come to Lima if you want to try local food, go to the beach and just have fun in the Capital.

If you want to use public transport use Taxi apps or "corredor azul"/"metropolitano"
>>
>>1051118
oh btw, weather has been really weird because of El Niño. yesterday was sunny, today was cloudy and cold-ish.
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.