[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
saudi arabia
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 113
Thread images: 6
hey,
i might take a job in saudi arabia, pays lots of money, no tax, and expenses paid.

anyone ever live or visit saudi arabia ? someone on pol said this would be the biggest mistake of my life.
>>
Yes. It's pretty great actually. Maybe not KSA itself, depending on your lifestyle. But the money you make, and you just go to UAE, Bahrain, or fly to Thailand for a few hundred bucks for your debauchery, the same way the Saudis do.
>>
>>1040956
thanks - thats what i was hoping. there's a lot of cool places to fly to; and then can save money pretty easy.

as long as i can figure out and follow the laws there i bet its not so bad
>>
>>1040964
What city will you be working in and what kind of work?
>>
>>1040964
DO learn the laws and customs that are likely to trip you up. Your employer likely has some experience helping with this.
>>
>>1040972
riyadh, it will be legal work
>>
>>1040999
There are a few things to do in Riyadh, a couple of sites, like the tower, and shipping and such. You are about a 5 hour drive from Bahrain, which you will likely find yourself driving to on Thursdays after work and staying until Sunday. If you want tips on Bahrain when you move their post here and I'll oblige. As far as Saudi get in with other expats and people who live on compounds where the religious police can't go.
>>
I could never work, much less live there for any amount of money.

Saudi society seems absolutely suffocating, repressive and focused solely on money. It's revolting how they treat manual workers.

Sorry for an ot comment
>>
>>1041048
>focused solely on money.

Well, and religion, which is really the be-all and end-all of why they have a state there that is what it is. Keepers of the Holy Places and all that.

Also, FWIW, I don;t think your comments are off-topic in a thread about SA at all. You've expressed your feelings about the place, from a potential worker's perspective, pretty well.

If I was going to throw rocks at you, it would be more based on having so firm an opinion of a place to which you have never been -- leave the door open for the idea that what other people tell you about ANY place you might travel might be wrong. (Or might not, of course.)

But you probably already know that.
>>
>>1040953
>i might take a job in saudi arabia, pays lots of money, no tax, and expenses paid.
>anyone ever live or visit saudi arabia ?
Met a English teacher while on vacation in Austria. His pay was also nicer in comparison to other countries, but it was a bigger deal to travel around and explore regions for travel, gotta figure that you're flying to get the heck out of there, and can't simply hop on a train for the weekend.
>>
>>1041048
>I could never work, much less live there for any amount of money.
>Saudi society seems absolutely suffocating, repressive and focused solely on money. It's revolting how they treat manual workers.
>Sorry for an ot comment
Not offtopic at all. This is pretty indicative of the boredom you'd face there. Not to mention something like 50% of the young labor force is unemployed. College grades 21-35 have ZERO prospects to use that nifty degree in engineering or whatever difficult thing they worked hard to do. This is why they are disgruntled and going to do stupid shit like fight wars in other places. Repressive and hopeless both. You can translate that how you will for what it'll be like as a foreigner working a hard to get job.
>>
>>1041073
What sort of Saudi was he in? You can drive to Bahrain or UAE depending on where you live. Flights out of the Gulf are pretty cheap, and you can travel in the Gulf pretty easy these these days.
>>
File: camelemac.jpg (38 KB, 358x243) Image search: [Google]
camelemac.jpg
38 KB, 358x243
>>1041078
Don't think you can go while "looking to get a job." My understanding is that you need the job in place, or you basically can't go.
>>
>>1041078
They are unemployed but they get checks from the government, and they don't do stupid shit like fight wars elsewhere. They do stupid like drive retarded, drift, and race,fire weapons indiscriminately and rape Asian women.
>>
I would expect IS activity to pick up a lot in SA in the coming months
you should seriously consider that possibility and factor it in
>>
>>1041084
Riiight. They didn't fly planes in 9/11 attacks either.
>>
>>1041087
That was some outliers, do you not realize how many Saudis live and study in the USA (one of the reasons it was so easy for the 9/11 pilots to get here) and how in cahoots our two governments are? One of the reasons we get the side eye from countries we try to help like Iraq whom the majority are on the other side of the Sunni/Shia thing. And why you never here the USA speak against the human rights violations there and in other GCC countries. Those are our buds.
>>
What is your job op? I'm always curious about these cool opportunities
>>
>>1040953
>listening to anything /pol/ says
First mistake.

Pros: make lots of money, no tax
cons: absolutely zero social life outside of your compound, everything banned, it's hot, people can be sorta friendly but you're still kept at arm's length, but they're still muzzies, and living in a super-repressed society does strange things to people. IME just on a basic personal level, I haven't really much liked the Saudis I've met. Something smug about them that rubs me the wrong way. Overall, I would find it boring as fuck, but it's pretty tempting to get y'know... MONEY.

>>1041086
lol. Not even being tinfoil hat here, but ISIS is literally a Saudi puppet force. They aren't really kept on a short leash, but they also certainly aren't going to bite the hand that feeds them.
>>
>>1041275
>ISIS is literally a Saudi puppet force
Proofs? There have already been multiple bombings by IS in Saudi Arabia, who are allied with the US that routinely bomb IS in Syria.
>>
>>1040953

Yes i worked there.

Compounds are fine, though you have to be used to that kind of living, some wont like it because its pretty restrictive, but the amenities are good.

Going outside of the compounds is alright, but its nothing like living anywhere else, and you dont really need to. There are some pretty cool things to see in Saudi if your into traveling.

Worst thing you will find, the Saudi's, fucking worst work ethic, not particularly cooperative, will leave work early without telling anyone, will skirt around doing certain tasks. I'm not joking, they are worse than the Italians, expect to hear a whole lot of 'inshallah', it means 'if god wills it', pretty much they use that as an excuse to get out of anything, trying to talk people into doing work will only get you an inshallah.
>>
>>1041275
See
>>1041279

IS and the Saudis are total enemy and there is no connection between them whatsoever, if you think otherwise then you certainly are tinfoil and ignorant
>>
>>1041365
>IS and the Saudis are total enemy and there is no connection between them whatsoever, if you think otherwise then you certainly are tinfoil and ignorant
Indeed--IS has among its goals to remove the decadent, not Salafist enough Al Saud family from its position as protectors of the one mosque of the one true faith. Nit a likely outcome, but if IS had Mecca and Medina they would have a credible claim to being the true voice of Islam. Saudi royalty does have a history of quietly supporting other extremists, basically to keep them out of their own backyard, and plenty of disaffected unemployed young men have shipped themselves off to the various hot spots, but Daesh absolutely doesn't take orders from Riyadh.
>But back on topic
I've been to Jeddah for work trips. Not a fun place (too hot, think gender segregation is unhealthy, not much to do beyond shop and eat), but has enough creature comforts to make it easy to endure. I'm guessing Riyadh is similarly dull but tolerable for the right price. Might as well do it for a year or two for the experience.
>>
God reading all the comments I'm thinking I could totally live in SA, I'd just go to work, make fat stacks, go home and play runescape all evening/night.

Sounds like the good life tbh
>>
>>1041371
>>1041365
>>1041279

Drifting into p[olitics rather than travel, let's not do that.

>>1041288
>here are some pretty cool things to see in Saudi if your into traveling.

A few folks on a travel board are going to be at least a little into traveling...
>>
My dad worked in saudi for two months and didn't like it one bit. He managed to be transferred to the UAE and much preferred it, stayed there for 2 years.

(He worked for a major construction company)
>>
>>1041395

>A few folks on a travel board are going to be at least a little into traveling...

He came here to ask us what its like because we are travelers and therefore have probably been there before (though with Saudi there probably isn't that many people who have been there as tourists), believe it or not, some people literally never leave the compounds for any reason other than work or traveling to the airport, i knew a guy that had not left the compound in 9 months (he worked on site).

I don't know if he is a traveler or not. Anyway, there's lots of old ruins in Saudi Arabia and lots of history that is still there.

I went to Madain Saleh and it was great because there wern't many tourists there, because Saudi doesn't allow tourists in their country, the only tourists are Saudi's and locals meaning its really quiet.
>>
>>1041549
>some people literally never leave the compounds for any reason other than work or traveling to the airport, i knew a guy that had not left the compound in 9 months (he worked on site).

i might be like this because i would be afraid of getting lashes or hand chopped off for doing something wrong
>>
>>1041910
Just like the USA doesn't want to piss off GCC states (Saudi, Bahrain, UAE, Jordan, Qatar), they don't want to piss off the USA. At worst you'll get deported.
>>
>>1041389

Then every Friday you can go watch people get their heads cut off if you ever get bored!
>>
>>1041923
are he beheadings still public.

as an american i'd probably steer clear in case they got extra ideas
>>
>>1040953
Hey I actually used to live there (whiteish male from USA). I was there 2002-2003, 11 months. I lived on Eid compound, and have been to a few others. It's really not bad in Riyadh, if you're in the same demo as me. Culture has gotten better, open air market places are pretty cool (same place they have executions depending on the day/place). Go to Bahrain or Dubai for some western comforts. DON'T make eye contact with any random women you see, their family will be close and crazy protective. Learn some cultural things (customs regarding wearing gold/silver). Most of all, enjoy life on a compound, and take some defensive driving courses (aka, how to avoid being boxed in or being chased).
>>
>>1041924

Yes, they are.
>>
You'll probably love it there. You'll be living on a massive compound with other westerners, and you can have all the booze and partying and flesh you'd like. Also it's a great travel launching point, and you'd be able to see the rest of KSA, which few people have a chance to do
>>
>>1041972
Realllllllly depends on the compound
>>
>>1041924
>not wanting to experience beheadings live
do you even RealTraveller?
>>
>>1040953
What sort of job?

Islam actually appeals to me. I hate drinking, I hate America's club culture BS, I've been estranged from my family for years, I have no friends, I'm hard working, I'm obedient and compliant with local laws, I pick up languages very fast I fucking need money.

Sounds right up my alley, where do I sign up?
>>
>>1040999
Riyadh is the capital city with the highest average temperature in the world.
>>
>>1042859
Probably teaching ESL, but you need a Masters for that.
>>
>>1042967
>>1042859
Not OP, but you are missing the fact that the largestwo employers of expats in Saudi Arabia are the oil companies, like BP and Chevron Phillips.
>>
File: CRm4JkSWIAAyVHC.jpg (46 KB, 600x800) Image search: [Google]
CRm4JkSWIAAyVHC.jpg
46 KB, 600x800
>>1041371
pretty much

seriously though OP, saudi is hotting up very fast

pic: policeman got blasted in hassa, in the east yesterrday
>>
>>1041395
Self-appointed mod here to save the day from people who have been to KSA, let's not do that
>>
>>1043079
Carefull or you'll startle the real /trv/lers who monitor these threads and spout that the mideast is the safest place on Earth.
>>
>>1041926
>Most of all, enjoy life on a compound, and take some defensive driving courses (aka, how to avoid being boxed in or being chased).

wat
>>
>>1041100
>What is Yemen
>>
>>1043369
Yemen is not a GCC country. Though neither is Jordan and we do a lot of joint training with their military. Because of AQAP there has been some black ops and destabilization stuff going on over there, and the GCC states have supported the legitimate government in the war with the Houthi rebels, (as matter of fact the USA has asked the GCC to back off and be more discriminating with their support because apparently they have been blowing the shit out of everything including civilians). But nobody really gives a fuck about Yemen, outside of regional stability and keeping the Gulf/Straits of Aden open. It's a poor country with no oil.
>>
>>1043331
I think it's that some local young men like to fuck around with western drivers. They try to trigger road rage, because if you swear or gesture to them from inside your car, you're breaking the law. You can receive a large fine for giving someone the finger, locals could even get beaten for it.
>>
>>1043331
Have you seen how Saudis drive? Search it on YouTube. It's ridiculous

>>1043422
This
>>
>>1041926
>(customs regarding wearing gold/silver)
Such as? Never heard of this before, so I'm curious.
>>
basically lock myself in a compound - then venture out at the risk of whipping or kidnapping by ISIS.

that's the downside ?
>>
What sort of jobs do they need expats for in KSA anyways?

I'm imagining that if you don't have a background either in petroleum engineering, construction, or military, they don't want anything to do with you, though I'm hoping I'm wrong.
>>
>>1043508
Teaching as well
>>
>>1043499
There's not a real big ISIS threat there, recent incidents aside. Just a lot more rules to follow outside of compounds
>>
File: deadmanmonk.jpg (177 KB, 1024x680) Image search: [Google]
deadmanmonk.jpg
177 KB, 1024x680
>>1041288
I'm a female with a job offer teaching at a private school in SA, lived in Cairo pre-rev back in the early 2000s and really liked everything but the way women were treated, I'd imagine SA makes 2000s Cairo look like Venice Beach. Would you say it would be a safe place for a white woman to work and how much bullshit i should expect to get from locals/men I work with?
>>
>>1043533
Based on what I've heard (which is 2nd degree), you'll be gawked at like you wouldn't believe. I think you need to wear at least a veil when you go outside the compound, but I don't remember specifically what she told. Expect marriage proposals at least twice every day. More explicit proposals as well.

And apparently the Saudis are the laziest and dumbest Arabians around. More so than Omanis or UAE folk. If you're passionate about teaching, be prepared to be drained of your lust for life and faith in humanity within a month.
>>
>>1040953

If you're looking at it strictly as an enriching career and personal challenge, I say go for it, but if you're looking for a great cultural experience, STAY AWAY.

Most Arabs, *especially* the highly religious-type that are so prevalent in SA, are arrogant, self-centered assholes with no sense of humor, no self-awareness, and lie about everything for self-aggrandizing (or self-victimizing) purposes. It's comical on a short-term basis, but I could never live in such a culture.
>>
>>1041910

The only times i hear about sentences being taken out on foreigners are the poor Indian and Philippine workers. They are actually slaves, brought in with the promise of work, but they soon realize the pay and work conditions are shit and they try to leave, only to find they cant because their employer is the only one that can terminate the contract and sign off on their exit visa. These are the ones that get their churches raided and thrown in jail for 25 years, the ones that get their hands chopped off for theft, the ones that get jailed for a few years for eating during Hajj ect...

They wont touch white workers because they tend to be from important countries that have a economic interest in SA and thus they don't want to strain relations, and they normally work for big companies that bring in SA all of its money.

>>1041924

Yes they are, and to my knowledge there's no law saying foreigners cant watch, but i dont think the mutaween would be too happy with it, and if you were filming it im sure you would be arrested for one reason or another, they get paranoid about human rights inspectors. They normally happen in the big cities maybe once a week somewhere.
>>
>>1043533

Yeh being a single women in Saudi is fucked, when i was there they didn't even allow single women in unless they were highly skilled and working in the mineral industry.

Problems i see are not being able to drive, and the mutaween being assholes because technically females aren't allowed to go anywhere in public without a male handler. So unless your on a compound 24/7 it would be very tough, and i'd seriously say take a job elsewhere unless its your only option. Also as someone said, you may have to wear a veil, i'd check up on that because im not exactly sure if it is law or just cultural guideline, the absolute minimum you will need to wear a headscarf.

Is it safe? Kinda, but you will get a load of verbal harassment when the police aren't around, though on the plus side i dont think getting touched or handled by Saudi's is much of a problem because of the strict islamic laws touching (or even looking at) women is strictly forbidden.
>>
>>1043609
>touching (or even looking at) women is strictly forbidden
That only goes for Saudi women. Westerners are all sluts and whores asking for it through their very moral corruption, so it's OK to harass them. :^)
>>
>>1043846
Which is why the Asians and Christian Africans get raped, but doesn't happen to the Western women. Stares and cat calling though.
>>
>>1042856
clearly nothing fucked has ever happened to you while traveling, this is exactly the shit a seasoned traveler should avoid you edgy idiot.
>>
>>1043846
thanks for reminding me you fucks aren't exclusive to the muslim world.
>>
>>1044124
what's the point of travelling? isn't it to experience new cultures and perhaps defy your own conformity? now we can agree that this might not be your only reason to travel but it certainly checks the list

So why not experience something that you most likely will not experience elsewhere? wouldn't you play with the thought of eating cockroaches from the bustling food stalls of bangcock knowing that you probably would never do the same in your own country?

Just food for thought.
>>
>>1042859
>Islam actually appeals to me. I hate drinking, I hate America's club culture BS

don't be ignorant...of course these things exist there.
>>
>>1044175
To be fair not easily accessible by the average Saudi. That's why they all food the UAE and Bahrain on the weekends, so they can drink and whore, then go back to KSA and act holier than thou.and point fingers at the more liberal nations. Ones which they are the largest consumers of vice, not the locals.
>>
>>1044125
That is what we Westerners call 'irony'. Try wiping the sand from your vagina my fine fedora'd friend.
>>
>>1044149
>what's the point of travelling?

Not to drag this thread off the rails, but the point of traveling varies hugely from person to person. There is no One True Way.
>>
>>1044179
>To be fair not easily accessible by the average Saudi. That's why they all food the UAE and Bahrain on the weekends

So, yes, accessible to them. It's what drives a huge portion of the Dubai economy.
>>
>>1044271
>there is no one true way
Hence i said it might not be the only reason but is one of them
>>
>>1044272
I was saying not accessible while living in in KSA, which is the subject. Even in the USA you can live in a dry county but alcohol is available the next one over. Or live in a state where fireworks are illegal, and right at the border there are a million firework stores.
>>
How much could one expect to make say, bartending or even just a random job? I met a Canadian chick the other night and we talked about it but had to split up before I could ask what she made.

It was fascinating hearing about the bubble she seemed to have to live in. I also worry cause my passports Canadian but I'm ethnically Filipino and I'm sure they get treated like shit over there. She made it sound like if I stuck it out some amazing coin could be made
>>
>>1045004
>bartending
>Saudi Arabia
What the fuck. I know Flips are stupid, but did you even read the thread? Do you know anything about Saudi Arabia? There are no 'bartending' jobs. Within compounds there might be bars for residents to use, but there's not going to be someone staffing it all the time.

And yes, you'll be treated like shit.
>>
>>1040953
Will you have enough pay to make savings and get in and out for holidays (to europe). Will you have enough time off to do that?
>>
Unless you haven't your passport nailed onto your face, i would recommend you to NOT go there.

SA people tend to see southern asians as slaves and treat them thereafter.
>>
>>1045079
Maybe he was talking about the Middle East in general, not Saudi specifically, or maybe it's on a compound. Compkinds need support workers to, not just the guys there to do the main job of the oil field or whatever the case may be. They are like civilian military bases.
>>
>>1045100
Pretty much this. I would even be interested in oil work even if it's the shittiest job/Derrick hand/etc. I just sort of need to know if it's a pipe dream (lol) or not
>>
>>1045223
Are you looking specifically at Saudi, or the ME in general?
>>
>>1045004
>filipino
>going to saudi arabia

dont think that there's a worse place for you to go to lad
>>
>>1045223

In the oil industry its actually pretty easy to get a job there, but you just need to be skilled.

Saudi Arabia has enough people to fill the rig jobs by themselves, because they have a big population and quite a bit of unemployment, but they have nowhere near the technical skill base they need to fill all of their technical jobs (geologists, mining engineers, technology operators ect).

To add to that, as some other people have pointed out in this thread, Saudi's are notoriously bad workers are are known for their shitty work ethic, most big companies in Saudi Arabia, despite being Saudi owned, normally don't hire Saudi's for high end jobs unless its proven that they are hard workers, because they are spending a lot on salaries and expect much to be done, hence why there is such a huge amount of westerners working in such positions.

>>1045004

>Filipino

Dont go there.

Read up on the stories about the imported Filipino and Indian workers in SA, although your Canadian and mightn't be made a slave, you can still be expected to be treated like one.
>>
>>1045255
Originally, I was looking at Dubai but I keep reading such mixed experiences. Then I met the chick who told me about Saudi Arabia. I have cousins from the Philippines who are working there (nurse, mechanic, etc. and it doens't seem like they're making a killing but they're also not white). I guess I wanted to see how much it matters that my passport is Canadian and I guess the answer is that unless I'm qualified, it doesn't.

I'd love to be wrong, though. I'm honestly just looking for a country to work my ass off in and save a ton of money to keep going.
>>
>>1040953
Just watch that Amercian Dad episode.

>The Shareef don't like it...
>>
Apparently there are definitely drugs to be had if you get int with the royals.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/10/27/middleeast/lebanon-saudi-prince-drugs/index.html
>>
>>1045715
in pretty much every video of some saudi guy driving an SUV on 2 wheels that you've ever seen, there is a 90% chance that the driver was high on amphetamines

there are a lot of public health indicators that point towards SA having a widespread drug abuse problem, but nobody knows for sure since the government doesn't collect data on it. everybody knows the stories about the ridiculous parties saudi princes throw of course, but the evidence suggests it goes farther than that.
>>
>>1045748
They have a version of meth that's real popular there, I can't remember the name, I think it's cot/kaht, though.
>>
>>1045752
Qat. It's a plant with stimulant effects--you chew it. It's definitely psychoactive, but nowhere near as strong as meth. It feels more like too much coffee. It's illegal in KSA and UAE, but very, very big in Yemen.
>>
>>1045898
It may be illegal, but I saw plenty of specifically Saudis using it while I was in Bahrain, and it may be more mild than meth, but they were still fucked up. It!s more than weed and definitely some type of stimulant, based on how they act on it.
>>
>>1045908
>>1045898
>>1045752
>>1045748
Wiki:
Khat consumption induces mildeuphoriaand excitement, similar to that conferred by strong coffee. Individuals become very talkative under the influence of the plant. The effects of oral administration of cathinone occur more rapidly than the effects of amphetamine pills; roughly 15 minutes as compared to 30 minutes in amphetamine. Khat can inducemanicbehaviours andhyperactivity, similar in effects to those produced by amphetamine.The use of khat results inconstipation.Dilated pupils(mydriasis) are prominent during khat consumption, reflecting thesympathomimeticeffects of the drug, which are also reflected in increased heart rate and blood pressure.

Withdrawalsymptomsthat may follow occasional use include mild depression and irritability. Withdrawal symptoms that may follow prolonged khat use includelethargy, milddepression, nightmares, and slighttremor. Khat is an effectiveanorectic(causes loss of appetite). Long-term use can precipitate: negative impact onliverfunction, permanenttoothdarkening (of a greenish tinge), susceptibility toulcers, and diminishedsex drive.

It is unclear if the consumption of khat directly affects the mental health of the user or not.[20]Occasionally, a psychotic episode can result, resembling ahypomanicstate in presentation.[21]

Effects:[6]:6–13

Immediate effects:

alertness[6]:6arousal[6]:5concentration[6]:7confidence[6]:6constipation[6]:9euphoria[2]friendliness[6]:7hyperactivity[6]:7[19]increased blood pressure[2][6]:6increased heart rate[2][6]:5insomnia[6]:7psychosis[6]:8suppressed appetite[6]:8talkativeness[6]:8thought disorder[6]:9verbosity[6]:8

Long-term effects:

depression[6]:10infrequent hallucinations[2][6]:10impaired inhibition (similar to alcohol)[6]:10[22]increased risk ofmyocardial infarction(heart attack)[6]:10[23]psychosisin extreme cases
>>
>>1045912
I traveled to Yemen and did Qat. That article really exaggerates the effects. Like what this anon said here >>1045898 it's like coffee that doesn't last long and expires quickly. When you first use it the most common symptoms are headache and lethargy, after that you feel the hype. When you get off of it then you feel the lethargy and headaches again but usually painkillers can offset this until it's out of your system
>>
>>1043376
>It's a poor country with minuscule oil.

ftfy
>>
>>1045919
Maybe that stuff the Saudis do is mixed with something else and they still call it kaht. Or maybe it's effects are enhanced because if their represseductive culture and fucked up, literally in-bred, mental state. By the effects I witnessed were very pronounced. I don't use drugs, outside of alcohol, myself. Don't even do sheesha
>>
>>1045919

>I traveled to Yemen

When did you travel there?

Anytime recent (like past 2-3 years) or was it ages ago before it turned into shit?

Looks amazing, would like to go there one day, maybe when the fighting stops.
>>
>>1045908
Keep in mind, they're not used to alcohol or soft drugs, so they go completely bananas with the smallest amount of stimulant.
>>
>>1044280
Pennsylvania has fireworks but Jersey doesn't. Cops will stop people to search for fireworks at the border.
>>
File: FB_IMG_1446246201744.jpg (16 KB, 456x342) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1446246201744.jpg
16 KB, 456x342
>>1046617
Same with KSA. This Saudi was caught at the border trying to smuggle twelve bottle of liquor back into KSA. That doesn't stop people from doing things like this, or many more just from boozing and whoring in Bahrain and UAE.
>>
bumping - still on the fence about saying yes to living and working in saudi (big chemical company)

does anyone ever pay attention to these travel warnings:
http://travel.state.gov/content/passports/en/alertswarnings/saudi-arabia-travel-warning.html
>>
>>1047176
>http://travel.state.gov/content/passports/en/alertswarnings/saudi-arabia-travel-warning.html

No, I went during the height of the protest in Thailand last year when you would think Genocide was imminent going by the government warnings and the news. Went there and I couldent eve tell anything was amiss.
>>
>>1047176
Aren't you going to be in a compound?
>>
I've read online that the Saudis often won't let you into the country if they've seen you've been to Israel.

I've always wanted to visit Saudi Arabia but I'm gonna have a chance to visit Israel soon that I don't want to pass up. Any truth to it?
>>
>>1047206
ya i think so. seems still dangerous.

in reality, probably no reason to put one's life in danger for a job
>>
>>1047212
In reality it;'s not dangerous. Where are you seeing Westerners in danger in KSA? Not warnings. Actual acts of westerners, that live on compounds coming to harm? My friend tried to get a year extension in KSA on his job from the US Government. No plenty of others that enjoy working there that I met when I lived in Bahrain.
>>
>>1047211
Yes, they officially don't recognize Israel. it's almost a moot point, since most 'normal' travellers to KSA won't be getting in anyway if they're not already from countries that also don't recognize Israel. I doubt many Hajj pilgrims from Bangladesh, Uzbekistan or Algeria are slipping in a trip to Tel Aviv while they're in the area. I suppose a western compound-drone who had an Israeli stamp could have problems, depends how dickish the immigration personnel want to be.

The bigger reason I guess is that they don't want Mossad traipsing around Riyadh or Mecca undoing the House of Saud's best laid plans of international jihad. It's bad enough they get away with it in Jordan or UAE, imagine how embarrassing it would be if Israelis got away with it in Islam's own backyard.
>>
although when you fly into Ben Gurian airport they dont stamp your passport they stamp a piece of paper and give that to you. That being said if you leave israel through a land border (ie jordan or egypt) they will stamp your passport
>>
>>1047213
this is irresponsible nonsense

http://www.wsj.com/articles/american-man-shot-and-wounded-in-saudi-arabia-police-say-1422628270

>An American was shot and wounded on Friday when his car came under fire
>a Danish citizen was shot in the chest and shoulder while in his car after he left work
>One American employee of a U.S. defense contractor was killed and another wounded in a gas station in Riyadh last November.

just some of the attacks on foreigners in Saudi in recent months

and the security situation has severely deteriorated since

>>1047176
you should take the state department warnings seriously, there is a genuine threat

>>1043511
wrong, the threat from IS is significant and growing rapidly

>>1043244
generally, I am one of the 'real travelers' myself
but the ME is really seeing a large increase in insurgency targeting westerners across many countries and to downplay the risk is dangerous
>>
>>1048095
I'm going on vacation to Bahrain myself in December. But honestly even with these targeted incidents do you think someone has a greater chance of coming to harm in KSA than the big city USA?
>>
>>1040999
OP how did you get a job like this. I am law student, I want to travel with my professional work.
>>
>>1048095
>this is irresponsible nonsense
>http://www.wsj.com/articles/american-man-shot-and-wounded-in-saudi-arabia-police-say-1422628270
>>An American was shot and wounded on Friday when his car came under fire
>>a Danish citizen was shot in the chest and shoulder while in his car after he left work
>>One American employee of a U.S. defense contractor was killed and another wounded in a gas station in Riyadh last November.
>just some of the attacks on foreigners in Saudi in recent months
>and the security situation has severely deteriorated since
>>>1047176 (You)
>you should take the state department warnings seriously, there is a genuine threat

fuck maybe i shouldnt go. there's crew over there already that seem happy; its a large company and i'd stay on compounds, so i dont know

>>1048133

just watch the job boards; less likely you'll get these without at least 2-5 yrs exp, or you're fluent in one of these countries languages
>>
>>1048133

As a law student, you have little hope for a job in Saudi or anywhere else that runs on islamic law.

Also lots of law is relevant only to certain jurisdictions and many countries don't have the same protocols, it will be hard to pick up a job outside the country you studied (unless your within the EU where most countries have similar laws, Islamic countries share similar laws, or within the Anglosphere).

Law really isnt a good profession to go into if your seeking international work, not to say it isnt possible, but normally its easier to hire someone from your own country than to get a foreigner to move in and have to learn all the new rules. You might get lucky though, sometimes countries that sign up to international frameworks and conventions need western lawyers because the contracts are normally written by western countries.
>>
>>1048664
International business law is a glaring exception to this
>>
>>1043422
You shouldn't drive as a Westerner in Saudi unless you're working with a company that has a fixer - a locally sourced or well-connected resource who will get to things like car accidents as quick as fuck to smooth things over. Barring that, any car accident involving a Westerner is the Westerner's fault, regardless of what happened.

In terms of Saudi life, compounded life is a bit restricted, but pretty ok. Off compound, it's boring as fuck and you'll be counting the minutes until you can fly off to Bahrain / Dubai / wherever.

Other things some people insist on:
Extraction / evacuation insurance via someone like Kroll, paid-for periodic flights home, space on a compound (compound living >>>> living elsewhere in Riyadh).

Also just a note as personal experience, the Big 4 work the shittiest hours in the world in Saudi. At the customer site for 8, work there until the customer goes home at 4, then back to the big 4 office to work until at least 8. Worst six weeks of my career, even with weekends in Dubai or Bahrain.
>>
File: us bases.jpg (84 KB, 800x485) Image search: [Google]
us bases.jpg
84 KB, 800x485
>>1048664
What about international law?
>>
>>1050159
What r the big 4 - aramco and sabic?

I thought they only work 4 days a week with thurs , fri and sat off
>>
>>1050711
Aramco has orgies
>>
>>1050711
It's accounting firms. 12 hour days for 6 weeks is pretty common for a lot of accountants around tax season, or if year end statements need to be qualified. Doing it year round would suck, but Saudis don't do any work or recognize objectivity like westerners so outside accountants are needed.
Thread replies: 113
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.