[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Dear trv I'd like some advice on the means of traveling
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 2
File: WN.jpg (9 KB, 275x183) Image search: [Google]
WN.jpg
9 KB, 275x183
Dear trv
I'd like some advice on the means of traveling in the United States.
From June till July I'm traveling the States cross-country on my own. I'll be visiting some family living in cities spread through the country. I'm in doubt about how I shall travel. Initially I was thinking about Greyhound but my family think it's too dangerous. Is this true? Is it responsible to rent a car to drive on my own? I'm from Europe and have sufficient driving experience though I'm 23 years old and heard it can be problematic to rent a car under 25. I have been thinking about Amtrak but it's very expensive.
Please advice me on this. Thanks!
>>
>>1118104
Definitely would not recommend renting a car but you could if you wanted to. You sometimes have to pay more since you're not yet 25. The only real reason is because even though you can drive, driving long distances in another country takes much more focus and attention. You could easily fall back into your regular driving habits when you're tired or hungry. In the US, rest areas could be far and few in between even if you're Pennsylvania, much less the midwestern states. I've personally driven from NYC to Houston and that was pretty draining after all was said and done.

Greyhound is not really dangerous. There are reports every once in a while that the media blows out of proportion but for the majority of the time, it's safe and very mediocre. If the price is right and it takes you to where you need to go, then take it. Otherwise, train is your only other option unless you want to be flying everywhere. Uber might also be a viable option maybe. But it isn't reliable in the sense that you can't plan ahead of time.

But I think it's ultimately a price issue. Call or e-mail a car rental service and then ask how much would rates be and if there is an surcharge for being under 25. If you do rent a car for a considerable amount of time, usually the price per day goes down.
>>
Very good advice, thanks!
What about hitchhiking? Is there an open attitude towards it nowadays?
>>
>>1118104
I recommend driving, Greyhound takes forever to get somewhere, they stop at every little town. Renting a car is cheaper in the US than in Europe and you will be able to see much more by being able to make side trips and stop when you choose. I don't know what the other anon was talking about concerning rest areas, unless you have to piss every 30 minutes they are on every interstate highway often. I have driven road trips from NC to AZ to Idaho, Maine and Florida never had a problem about rest areas. Out west though you want to try to keep[ a half tank of gas in your vehicle. I've been in some places in Texas and NM where gas stations are 100 miles apart, but those are some of the neatest places to go IMO. Have fun, get a map(don't just depend on GPS).
>>
>>1118104
If you can afford it, get a car. It's absolutely the best way. Avoid the big interstates as often as you can. It is much less draining and more interesting.
>>
File: us-europe-3.gif (77 KB, 550x524) Image search: [Google]
us-europe-3.gif
77 KB, 550x524
>>1118126
Hitchhiking on the Internet system is illegal, but sometimes not enforced. You can get around that by standing with your thumb out at the top of an on-ramp, not yet on the system's right of way.

So that leaves you to deal with the 10,000 local variations on what is legal. Again, not all of which is enforced -- often a cop will just tell you to cut it out and drive off.

US transport system is designed around the ability to drive between cities, or fly. There are a few corridors with decent Amtrak service, such as the NE commuter routes, say from DC to NY-ish.

Look and see what short-hop flying between cities does for you -- usually it will be comparable to Amtrak costs, and a lot faster.

There are a number of budget-bus services that feel pretty sketchy but will get you there, I don;t use 'em so I'll leave that for somebody else to explain.

Unless and until you can do it by car, my advice would be to focus on a tight area, or at least a selection of a few areas that you can fly (or suffer through on a bus) to transit between.

Intra-city public transport varies hugely, to get meaningful help with that you'll need to say where you are going.
Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.