[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Going to Taiwan in December for 2 weeks. What do I do there?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2
File: taipei-taiwan.jpg (34 KB, 550x365) Image search: [Google]
taipei-taiwan.jpg
34 KB, 550x365
Going to Taiwan in December for 2 weeks. What do I do there?
>>
Eat as much local food as you possibly can. Almost all of it is amazing.
>>
go to night clubs and pick up girls
>>
File: 1282339020512.jpg (70 KB, 285x278) Image search: [Google]
1282339020512.jpg
70 KB, 285x278
>>1039997
>What do I do there?

Suck shemale dick. What else...?
>>
How modern is Taipei? How does it compare to other cities in the region? What's the general atmosphere like? Is it a Comfy City?

Ive considered visiting but I'm not sure what I'm in for. For reference I've been to HongKong, Shanghai, Beijing, Tokyo, Bangkok and Singapore.
>>
>>1040316
i would compare it to Hong Kong but much more relaxed. The food is outstanding.
>>
>>1039997
Really make an effort to be able to hold a conversation in Mandarin. Seriously, you will make friends and feel very welcomed by taiwanese people if you made an effort to learn their language. It will open up many doors for you. As someone who has learned Mandarin as a second language I can ASSURE you that it is not as hard as people think; speaking is actually really easy grammatically. Tones take awhile to get down but people will always understand what you're trying to say.

>>1040316
Taiwan is everything you like about Asia but without most of the cons. It's a great place with awesome people and awesome scenery. Did I mention the food? It's fucking brilliant.
Taipei is a very modern city and as mentioned before, has Hong Kong feel but way more relaxed. Even though I love concrete jungles and big cities, Taiwan is definitely a place that needs to be explored in the small rich towns in the country side.
>>
>>1040253
TAIWAN, not Thailand.
>>
>>1040781
>As someone who has learned Mandarin as a second language
How long did it take? I took a year in college, so I basically remember the tones / a few characters / enough to say I'm American and want to order a beer.

I got the Pimsleur Mandarin, trying to work through 1-2 hours a day. Am I going to make it by February?
>>
>>1040849
Depends what your goal is. I used Michel Thomas, did about 30 minutes a day for two months and that was enough to be able to meet all travel needs and have the most basic of conversations. It gives you enough of the basic grammar so that you can immediately apply new words as you learn them.

As other anon said speaking really isn't that hard, the hard part is listening and making out what others say to you. I often found that if I spoke to someone in Chinese they would overestimate my ability and reply as if I was actually a decent speaker, at which point it is necessary to polite ask them to speak slower (same as when you speak to a foreigner who doesn't know English that well).

So by February you will know enough to travel in places with no tourism infrastructure, meet all your basic needs, and endear yourself to locals who will usually appreciate your effort. As for reading, writing, or complex conversations...forget about it.
>>
How widely spread is English?
I will just be visiting for a shorter period so I probably wont get any good at Mandarin.

How does girls generally treat westerners? Im a 21 year old guy
>>
>>1040194
This is something I plan to do

>>1040212
>>1040253
Not a degenerate

>>1040781
My parents are from Taiwan and I can speak Mandarin fine. I can't read or write it though.
>>
>>1040855
Good enough for me. Thanks for the reassurance bud.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.