[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How hard would it be to just pack up and go? My friend and I
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1
File: 1.png (26 KB, 433x292) Image search: [Google]
1.png
26 KB, 433x292
How hard would it be to just pack up and go?
My friend and I want to leave. I'm 20 and she's 19. We live in small town West Virginia and I have family in Colorado Springs, Colorado that I want to go stay with.
Finding work here is hard (Even though I just got a job as a pharmacy cashier) and we both aspire to reach out and travel across the country. For me, it would be a place I'm moving to but for her, it might be a place to stay for a while. There isn't much here, and we want to broaden our horizons. The only problem is that she has lawsuit money she got from being assaulted years ago, but I have no money saved up. About how much would it cost for the necessities to move across country/where would I go to find the information? What I have now to work with are:
>Car: 2000 Honda Civic. Needs some work, but, it's little things like a straight pipe muffler and a radiator fan and tires. I know this'll all estimate to around $200 by itself.
>Sell bait. Guitars, tv, nothing really of high value, but it might get something.
>Food
>Clothes
>Going to try to get some camping supplies to avoid hotels

How much would you save up to get started on something like this? I live with my mother at the moment so rent won't be that much of a problem, and the only thing I'd have to worry about is car insurance and paying off the additives to my car. I'm just going to assume she has what she needs for right now since it's really just a concept I'd like to see if I can pull off.
>>
if you think that the job prospects in colorado springs will be better than they are in rural west virginia, you're for a pretty rude wakeup call.

maybe it'll get better once a few other states legalize
>>
>>1039832
Just the road trip is pretty easy math.

# of Miles traveled / # of miles your car gets per gallon * $ per gallon of gas

With 2 people driving you will only really need to stop to sleep once. Plus some money for food but you can bring that with you.

Its risky to leave for a road trip like that if you are not sure about your car. If you break down in some little town and have to get towed off the freeway they are going to overcharge like crazy. 4 tires for a small car like that is going to be $300+. The other work isnt that hard to do by yourself if you have some basic tools and basic understanding of cars.

Once you get there it just depends on how cool your family is. If they are going to let you eat their food and live for free. Try looking for jobs before you leave? Ideally you want something lined up before you get there but that may be very difficult.
>>
>>1039843
The job market is one aspect. My dad is the general manager of a convenience store chain, so if anything I'll be able to get something, even if it is a cashier.
We don't really have very many friends, I only have my mother here and she cant really afford to take care of me, and aside from my dad recently moving, all we've known is rural West Virginia. I know that we would be taken care of if we got there, the only thing is getting there.
>>
>>1039845
I can get 4 half tread tires here for remarkably cheap, and my good friend is a mechanic and already said he'll help me with the labor for pretty much the expense of buying the parts, so I'm really lucky in that department. I'm really just going to ask him everything I'll need before I set sail.
>>
>>1039847
>half tread tires
Ah yeah. You cant get those where I live.
>>
>>1039850
There's only one place around here you can get them, and with a car like mine they're pretty common. Depending on if my friend gets any dropoff tires, I may not have to pay that.
>>
>>1039846
From what you are saying you could just "get there" for ~$500. $200 for gas, $200 and $100 for food + 1 night hotel. Or try to find somewhere to camp like you said.
>>
>>1039852
Also, if your girl has some extra cash for gas you could have way more fun and make this post /trv/ related. There are some cool places to stop along the way.
>>
>>1039853
The way things are I might just ask her if she an do gas and cover the rest of the food, logging and living expenses myself, since they're already heavily discounted for me.
We've talked about detouring to parts of Yellowstone, as well as the Badlands in South Dakota and Mount Rushmore, but I can't really think of any other places off the top of my head. We're also going to avoid Kansas altogether (Except maybe Kansas City) Because fuck driving through there again.
>>
>>1039856
Kansas reporting in

> We're also going to avoid Kansas altogether (Except maybe Kansas City) Because fuck driving through there again.

op continues to talk about how he is broke and avoiding spending money and not wanting to take most direct route.
its like $150 max for gas stop being a bitch and move if its free once you get there.

op sounds like home town fag who is going to stay there for life. cant afford a

enjoy
>>
>>1039948
also got this for you faggot op
http://fuelgaugereport.aaa.com/fuelcostcalculator/
>>
Im a wv bro myself and I went to Colorado Springs on vacation last summer. weird. What town you from OP? im in Shinnston
But yeah, if you can move there DO IT. Job opportunities here are literally the worst in the nation.
>>
for $50 us you can join wwoof and stay at organic farms 4 free, do some work, get free food and lodging.
>>
>>1039843
Dude the economy is way fucking betting in the springs than WV.
Why are you trying to put anon off?
>>
>>1039832
If you can camp you could lottery live out in the forest. Although I'd wait till next years summer to do that, more so because I live in the southern U.S. Perhaps you don't mind the snow and cold.
>>
>>1039832
FUCK OFF WE'RE FULL
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.