[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
TEFL General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1
File: trekking.jpg (971 KB, 3456x2304) Image search: [Google]
trekking.jpg
971 KB, 3456x2304
I just completed a 120 hour online TEFL course with LoveTEFL. From January to July, I'm going to be travelling around Eastern Europe and SEA, though I'm not sure yet which countries/cities/areas I'll be visiting.

While I'm travelling, how easy or difficult will it be for me to potentially find TEFL jobs along the way? If I'm in a country/city and stumble upon a job, I'd be happy to stay there for a while assuming I like the place. How likely is it for that to happen?

I understand that doing so wouldn't be possible in Western Europe (and that I'd need a CELTA), but is Eastern Europe more relaxed? I'm an intelligent guy with a BA and the TEFL certificate. I also have lots of experience working with children and a fair amount of teaching experience.

Also, TEFL general I guess.
>>
Bump. Does anyone have experience in this sort of semi-spontaneous job hunting?
>>
bump,this is a thing i want to do so badly
>>
>>1038245

I can't really advise on job hunting, but you seem to be in a good place to find work with those qualifications and experience (although some assessed classroom experience as part of your TEFL certificate would be better)

If you're from outside the EU it will be much more difficult to get work spontaneously as you'll need to deal with visas etc. and employers would more than likely prefer candidates where that isn't necessary.
>>
Done a bit of research myself, here's what it's like:

Western Europe: Doable as a Brit, much harder as a non-EU citizen. But especially if you have a bit of experience, you can often find a job. Try looking around once you're on the ground in your country of choice.

Eastern Europe: I think you just need a bachelor's and TEFL cert.

Asia: Oftentimes you can do without the TEFL cert, sometimes without the bachelor's, even. The richer the country, the higher the standards, although the JET program doesn't require TEFL certs.

SE Asia should be easy to find a job.

Africa: I don't think there's enough demand/wealth to pay you for more than volunteer work in most places.

Latin America: Literally only need a high school diploma in a lot of places.
>>
>>1038739
I'm from the UK so I'm pretty luck in that regard. I'm glad you think I'm in a good position!

>>1038770
Thanks so much, this is very helpful. Do you have experience yourself in actually picking up jobs spontaneously, or is your advice mainly from research you've done online?

Also, what's the JET program?
>>
Bump - does anyone have experience in this? I assume someone must! Thanks guys!
>>
I think it'd be fairly easy to get a job in SEA.

Not sure about EE. You should check online.

Both regions don't pay much. Thailand, for example, only pays about $1,000-$1,500 a month
>>
>>1039894
I've been looking online but can't seem to find much information about finding jobs spontaneously while on the ground. I don't want to apply for jobs in advance online; I want to find them while I'm in visiting various countries.

So, for example, when I visit Estonia/Latvia/Lithuania, I'm probably going to spend 2 weeks in each country - but if I can find a job then I'd be happy to stay in one of those countries for a few months or so. I'm making 2016 a year of spontaneity and seeing what happens...! I'm hoping that what will happen is I will find a TEFL job.
>>
>>1039894
>only

That's how much I make now and live in the USA. 1000 bucks a month in Thailand is rich.
>>
>>1040476
It's a decent living wage and save outside of Bangkok. You want push close to the $1500 a month there. You aren't living like a rock star or getting rich, though. But live well and go out from time to time.
>>
>>1040516
I mean it's a better wage if you want to "live like a Thai" but if you are a Westerner, no one wants to do that long term. At least not with the responsibility of being a school teacher
>>
>>1038245
South Korea is one of the best places — if not the best — to teach English. Jobs are abundant, the pay is high ($3,000–5,000 USD per month), and you get awesome benefits, like a contract completion bonus, healthcare, free housing, and airfare reimbursement

Thailand attracts lots of young and new teachers with its cheap cost of living, warm beautiful weather, tropical beaches, mouth-watering food, and party atmosphere. Most of the language school teachers are ex-travelers looking to save for future travels…or travelers who thought they were doing that but ended up never leaving. The pay in Thailand isn’t that high ($1,000–2,000 USD per month), unless you teach in Bangkok or at an international school. However, teaching in Thailand isn’t about making lots of money — it’s about everything else: the ease of getting a job, the food, the fun-loving atmosphere, the weather, and everything in between. It’s one of the best destinations for young, new teachers, especially in a larger city, since you’ll fit right in.

Taiwan , check it out

japan & china are more difficult to get in
>>
Ajarn.com for Thailand
>>
>>1040637
You can't make that money in South Korea unless you are a US certified teacher, and I don't mean a TEFL certificate.

You will cap out at 2,700 dollars in Korea with a BA and a TEFL certificate, and it will be hard to find that. They will pay for your plane ticket and apartment though. Expect a beginning salary of 2,100-2,300 dollars.

China is supposed to be pretty easy but it will have less pay. Japan is pretty difficult with shit pay.
>>
>>1040637
Thanks. So in which of those countries could you arrive purely as a tourist then pick up a job while travelling?
>>
>>1040827
Possibly China, but you'd have to get the job in 30 days. Now that I think of it, that's doable, just hit the ground running and look everywhere.

BTW, if you're starting without certification, consider taking a basic position for one semester. That experience works really well in your favor for securing one of the nice gigs, like Taiwan/SK
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.