[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Leaving 4chan, thanks for it all, post your dream locations
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 75
Thread images: 21
File: Traveller-Girl.jpg (125 KB, 547x310) Image search: [Google]
Traveller-Girl.jpg
125 KB, 547x310
Hey, /trv/.

You were one of the only good boards on this site. A place where I got great information and the people are intelligent and well rounded.

Thanks for it all, I guess I'm getting a bit too old to be browsing a place where people post frog pics lol.

Hope you all get to where you want to be and feel content with yourselves.

To not make this an egotistical wah im leaving thread, hows about you all post your dream locations to visit one day in your life, like the Aztec ruins or Machu Picchu
>>
File: Lauterbrunnen2.jpg (139 KB, 960x720) Image search: [Google]
Lauterbrunnen2.jpg
139 KB, 960x720
>>1037528
>>
don't leave
>>
File: qatar.jpg (274 KB, 1220x500) Image search: [Google]
qatar.jpg
274 KB, 1220x500
How old are you OP? I often wonder if I'm getting to old to be on 4chan...

Anyway, I'd like to visit Qatar
>>
>>1037528
>Getting too old

I'm 56, how the fuck old ARE you?

Seriously, though, don't be a stranger. Stop by from time to time.
>>
>>1037556
Serious question -- why? Not sureI see anything attractive abut it, it'd be third or fourth on my list of gulf mini-states.

Dream location, OP?

Places I have not been, probably Southern South America and a run to touch Antarctica, just to see it.

Of places I've been, I'd go back to Iceland or Italy in a heart best...
>>
>>1037558
>>1037528
Not OP but I am 33. Just turned it 2 weeks ago.
>>
I'm feeling more and more the same way as OP. /trv/ used to be a decent place but has recently turned a little bit of a shitstorm. We're lucky enough to avoid the green frogs for the most part but the content here has decreased in quality by quite a bit.

I have gone from posting on a daily basis to posting on a weekly basis but still checking daily. Maybe it's time for me to slowly leave this place for good.

I'm 29 and my dream location to visit is Sikkim.
>>
Good luck on your journey, OP

My dream location to visit is Tibet
>>
>>1037528
>>1037558
>>1037569
Still a solid resource for traveling. Its hard to find this type of first hand information about any place in the world. Dont give it up because you think you are to old for memes...
>>
Fuckin' normies
>>
Have fun on reddit
>>
File: safety.jpg (60 KB, 400x201) Image search: [Google]
safety.jpg
60 KB, 400x201
>>1037569
I don't think you were around when it was good.

It was a fun board in its first couple of years. Really slow, not much of a theme. Things were light, easygoing. But then "the regulars" came. Travel and young people (the 4chan demographic) inevitably means lots of pretentiousness and self-important garbage. Every mid-20s thinks he's the first to learn a few phrases of a foreign language and navigate a foreign transport network and this entitles him to act like an all around jackass and talk down to everyone. So suddenly we had a board full of self-appointed wannabe mods.

Soon it devolved into "this is MY board and we will talk about what I like and not about what you like, stop liking what I don't like you are a bad person if your definition of culture is not extremely narrow and patronizing like mine".

And then every thread was a contest to see who could be the most shrill and self-victimizing "regular" humanly possible.

I used to come here a lot but then the meta-shitposting started. I come back maybe once a month, do a quick scan for anything new (it's always the same old shit but now with more smugness).

I never thought I'd miss the days when saying you enjoyed Dubai was edgy and provocative. Now you can't even have an opinion on airlines without someone jumping down your throat and yelling about /pol/. Let alone mentioning sex which apparently gets you reported to the mods who probably don't even read any of the threads let alone the board rules.
>>
In 35. Been here for 11 years.

Any community is what you make of it.
>>
>>1037576
Forgot my dream location..

Dream place that I have been and want to go back: Granada, Spain

Dream place first time: Egypt. I have a friend who lives in Cairo that would come with us on a tour to Luxor, Aswan, or anywhere. It would be great.
>>
>>1037576
To be honest though there's plenty of good forums out there that won't turn into shitstorms. I think I'm getting too old for 4chan all together.

>>1037581
I think I've been around for around 8 years now. We've gone through some stupid shit before like that phase where someone was always confrontational or that Toronto is shit phase but for the most part it was kinda funny. These days there's little of anything left here.
>>
>>1037577
This
>>
>>1037528

When my dad was 19, he hitchhiked from Hamburg to North Pakistan in order to meet the Kalash people. Ever since he told me his story, I've been dreaming to do the same. Obviously, it's a bit hard nowadays...

On the other hand, I'd also love to go to Rojava and the general Kurdistan area, both because of the area and because I'd love to support the fight of the YPG.
>>
>>1037577
>>1037588
If you're leaving 4Chan it has less to do with your age, and more to do with you growing out of your autistic tendencies. You have basically sold your soul to the man and can no longer relate or appreciate what is 4Chan. You have moved from the fringes to the center. As this poster said:>>1037580
Have fun
>>
Oh so you think you're leaving 4chan do you? Because that's not how it works. You will be back I guarantee it.
>>
>>1037556 I went, can't find any photos I snagged. It was neither terrible nor great. What are you wanting to see?

>>1037560
>Iceland
It seemed cool, but then I had to leave early because of pneumonia
>>1037587
>Toronto is shit phase
not a phase because Toronto a shit
>>1037694
>You have moved from the fringes to the center
implying 4chan isn't as normcore as reddit
>>1037698
Agreed: my amount of time on 4chan ebbs and flows with boredom and mental health

>dream destination? I've seen a lotta the shit on my list, so let's say Aruba for the specific reason of /not/ doing Real Travel
>beaches
>weather
>easy cheap flights
>>
File: vladivostok_2.jpg (653 KB, 1920x1280) Image search: [Google]
vladivostok_2.jpg
653 KB, 1920x1280
>>1037528
Why not do what I do and browse only trv?

also: vladivostok
>>
Don't.

Forget.

You're.

Here.

Forever.
>>
Probably Galapagos Islands or Svalbard
>>
>>1037581

Which regulars are you talking about? Tripfags were never a thing on here. I've been on here since 2008 and more or less stopped posting in 2012.

I'm 34 now and my dream places are not so much dream places, just places I'd really love to visit some day: Eritrea, Chad, CAR, Libya, Sri Lanka, and Peru.
>>
>>1037726

> Tripfags were never a thing on here

What about Kuzu!
>>
File: DSC_4997j (2) - Copy.jpg (4 MB, 3405x2266) Image search: [Google]
DSC_4997j (2) - Copy.jpg
4 MB, 3405x2266
>>1037728

That's the only one I remember. He was a bit pretentious, but not too bad of triphomo, he kept the place lively. I made him mad on numerous occasions. lel.
>>
>>1037569
Same with me, pretty much. I'm 31 and I've been around /trv/ since 2008. For a while, I was a daily poster, occasionally I've been gone for long periods, occasionally thought "meh, I'm done with /trv/", but I keep coming back, at least to lurk.

Yea, /trv/ has turned a bit shitty, that's just 4chan's popularity now in general. There's a lot of idiots around, not the least of which are /pol/ drones, but that's what based 'hide thread' is for.

I almost visited Sikkim, and it's still on my bucket list. I was in New Delhi and read you needed a permit to visit. I went to what was supposed to be the right office. It was definitely some government office, and it had more Asian/Tibet (Sikkimese) looking people in the back, but no one there spoke English and the couple staffers at the front desk told me to wait, at the couch they had in the front of the big open plan office. I waited for an hour and a half and no one came or went, so I got fed up and just left.

On my bucket list are also: Siberia, Mongolia, Mexico, Peru and Brazil (just the rainforest, really)
>>
>>1037581
I've been here since 2008, posted just a few mins ago, and uh, honestly I don't know what you're talking about. The self-importantfags phenomenon is only a couple years old IME, which is younger than even the Real Traveler™ forced meme.

>>1037583
Granada is wonderful. Egypt... well, see the ancient sites and don't feel you're missing out if you zip from one to the next and then leave.

>>1037706
Toronto is your average North American city, for better and worse. I wouldn't want to live there, but a couple pleasant days can easily be had. It's safer and a little friendlier than a similarly sized American city. What's the big fuss against it, tbh. It's not like anywhere Canada is all that interesting.
>>
File: tumblr_inline_nae5ghB7yn1sdelih.png (141 KB, 500x366) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_inline_nae5ghB7yn1sdelih.png
141 KB, 500x366
>>1037528
>>
File: 1443012700001.png (73 KB, 400x459) Image search: [Google]
1443012700001.png
73 KB, 400x459
>meta thread

You are never old to browse 4chan, or internet. Sure this place is fulled with normies and kids, but /trv/ is the place you belong. You experience is very helpfull here and old stories about traveling pre internet era is always welcome.

And I don't have a dream place to travel.
>>
>>1037582
Nice sentiment, but this particular community is what the negative, self-hating bigots have made it.
>>
>>1037706
>I went, can't find any photos I snagged. It was neither terrible nor great. What are you wanting to see?
Mainly the museum of islamic art and maybe zubarah. Where would you recommend going/staying away from?
>>
>>1037776
Then maybe this isn't the community for you
>>
Fuck it, I'll leave with you, OP. This was the only travel forum I ever got any fulfillment out of, but that hasn't happened for me in years.

Insha'allah I'll make it to the Dogon Cliffs before they succumb to tourism.

Bye, guys.
>>
File: 1443440978441.jpg (58 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
1443440978441.jpg
58 KB, 640x640
>>1037779
go fuck yourself.
>>
>>1037528

Eh. I'm 22 but I've been on 4chan since about 2008. While the quality of this board has taken a blow in recent years, it's still much better than the rest.

However, I do remember getting a lot of great advice before taking my first trip in summer of 2013. I made a "report" thread after I came back, showing pictures of Iraq, the Gezi Park protests, Tbilisi, and a few other places. It stayed alive for a long time and I got a lot of great responses and suggestions for future trips. When I made a similar thread after my trip the next year, I got a lot more "hur dur why do you write so much dur hur."

As somebody who never used /trv/ much before he actually starting traveling, I can definitely see an overall downward shift in content quality since I first came here. Obviously I don't mind new posters, but a lot of threads now seem to be troll crap ("tell me 2 good reesons i should go to shitistan lol!") or asking a bunch of obvious garbage.

Oh well. I'm still going to keep coming here, at least on occasion. I enjoy the fact that a lot of the people who post here DO travel on a regular basis, and there's always somebody with a cool story to tell or amazing pictures. Plus, this is a great resource! If you can think of somewhere, a person here has already been there.

Not that I use too many boards, but this seems like one of the most genuine on 4chan, in regards to both the posters and the content.
>>
>>1037781

>here DO travel on a regular basis

We made a map in the old days of all the countries we had visited as /trv/. We only missed a couple of countries. I really wonder how well travelled /trv/ is today...
>>
File: ftu.png (18 KB, 543x451) Image search: [Google]
ftu.png
18 KB, 543x451
>>1037767
>>1037714 pic related
>>1037728
>>1037734 even she wasn't a trip, just a namefag. I never understood her deal with toilets.
>>1037764
>Real Traveler™ forced meme
that's not even forced, they're just out there and if nothing else it's pleasurable to call them out for being full of shit
(also Real Traveller detected)
>>1037777 Didn't feel like anything worth seeing outside the city, but shouldn't have missed Zubarah and the Museum. As per Arab locations, fantastic teas, fruit juices and coffee where I could find it. There's a mall that's worth seeing for its sheer oddness -- a gondola ride through its main thoroughfare, for example . The Pearl, of course, and just walking around town taking it in. I'd go back if it weren't really expensive, because why not, but the tickets are ridiculous. I've not been since early 2009, though...
>>1037825 we could transform this thread into one of those. I'll start, pretty vanilla shit, though:

>live in US, seen 40 states
>Canada
>somehow not Mexico in spite of being in San Diego often
>Iraq
>Kuwait
>Qatar
>Iceland
>Ireland: Republic and Northern
>Britain: England, but not Wales or Scotland
>France
>Belgium
>Netherlands
>Germany
>Italy
>Romania
>Moldova

tldr? yank, military, road trips and 2 eurotrips
>>
>>1037830
Let's not transform the thread into a dick measuring contest, no.
>>
>>1037830
Real Travelers™ exist of course, if we mean the neophyte tourists who (in stereotype wardrobe department) have dreadlocks, only wear organic cotton natural dye rags pirate pants and sneer at you for not having been to Belgrade and smoking crack under a bridge with hobos like they did or some shit like that.

But mostly it's used here to bash others who enjoy travelling in a different way from oneself. /trv/ is all about travel opinions, what one /trv/ler liked or didn't like, etc. It's fair to give one's opinions, warnings, and experiences. But then posters get haughty about responses to their advice and then before you know it, Real Traveller™ is pulled out fired back and forth like a good ol' fashioned saloon shoout out.

I think there have been very few genuine 'real travellers' here, and a whole lot of fragile egos having pissing contests. Either way, the term is way over used.

Someone should make a map. here's my list:
>Canada (home -- everywhere but the arctic)
>USA (pretty much everything east of the Mississippi, plus the Midwest, the South, and Dakotas)
>Mexico
>Cuba
>Ireland (North and Republic)
>England
>Belgium
>Netherlands
>Germany
>Czech Republic
>France
>Spain
>Portugal
>Switzerland
>Austria
>Italy
>Slovenia
>Croatia
>Denmark
>Sweden
>Norway
>Estonia
>Latvia
>Lithuania
>Poland
>Russia
>Turkey
>Egypt
>Jordan
>Israel+West Bank
>Morocco
>India
>Nepal
>>
>>1037854
>Real Travelers™ exist of course, if we mean the neophyte tourists who (in stereotype wardrobe department) have dreadlocks, only wear organic cotton natural dye rags pirate pants and sneer at you for not having been to Belgrade and smoking crack under a bridge with hobos like they did or some shit like that.
>But mostly it's used here to bash others who enjoy travelling in a different way from oneself. /trv/ is all about travel opinions, what one /trv/ler liked or didn't like, etc. It's fair to give one's opinions, warnings, and experiences. But then posters get haughty about responses to their advice and then before you know it, Real Traveller™ is pulled out fired back and forth like a good ol' fashioned saloon shoout out.

You have it backwards. People don't et bashed for being Real Travelers when they travel different. They get bashed when they are being pretentious and get on others for traveling different. They are literally the travel equivalent of annoying fags. It's great you like sucking dick, but don't say I'm unenlightened for sticking to poon.
>>
>>1037847
how the hell is a collective effort dick measuring? nigga u dum
>>1037854 most of the Real Travel calling out has seemed justified, not people liking what others dislike...different nuts for different butts
>>1037864 tfw men have the objectively superior genitals and are easy to deal with, but you're not attracted to them
>>
>>1037728
I actually hated Kuzu but he's amateur hour compared to the annoying fags we have now. Like the anons who imagine they're the only ones on /trv/ to have actually traveled and everyone else is just fantasizing or regurgitating something we read on some website or another 4chan board.
>>1037764
The Real Traveler meme was not forced, and it's a great meme even better than Gap's Closed.
>>1037867
You are clearly jealous of my amazing travel experiences, probably because you are a sheeple like my mom and dad.
>>
>>1037867
But that's just it, annoying as this trope is, even the definition of what a Real Traveller is remains inconsistent. It's the disagreement over travel 'philosophy' that usually triggers the "U R Real Traveller!" call, and often as not on a hair trigger, and coming from both sides. It gets rather stupid at times, and it's become overused.
>>
>>1037874
Meh, I think it's overused.

Kuzu was irritating, especially in his Dubai fanboy era. He's still a joke, and brings ridicule and hate on himself, but he can be a serious decent and informed poster. If only he'd drop the namefagging...
>>
>>1037779
Not sure what you're talking about. Dogon country was touristy as fuck before, now it is deserted due to the security situation. So yes, go there now because it's the perfect time to have the whole area to yourself, but don't act like it's something undiscovered.
>>
>>1037877
>but he can be a serious decent and informed poster
citation needed
>If only he'd drop the namefagging...
since the word kuzu's not been on the board for a while, if kuzu remains, then she has clearly dropped the namefagging
>>
>>1037876
The Real Traveler meme is pretty ridiculous. I've been called it a number of times just because I travel to what the same people call "edgy" locations. I think it's a defence mechanism used by people to try and not feel jealous about what others do.
>>
>>1037883 You were probably being a pretentious douche about where you went if you got called on it. Plenty of people go edgy places here and don't earn the RT moniker.
>>
>>1037884
Yeah no, you're wrong.
>>
>>1037880
He has travelled a lot actually, he's an oldfag (which earns him some respect from me), and there have been threads where he's asked questions and given decent (if usually short) advice. He still invites fair and easy ridicule by his idiotic fashion sense, his snivelling arrogant manners, and utterly trollbeast whiny militant vegan girlfriend.

You do know he's a he, right? Or are you saying 'she' to make a point?

>>1037883
Yea, it's used a lot by insecure anons, I find... Real Travellers™ exist out there in the world, but like I said I don't think there are or have been many genuine ones on /trv/.
>>
File: NO_U_cycle.gif (802 KB, 500x411) Image search: [Google]
NO_U_cycle.gif
802 KB, 500x411
>>1037885 pic related
>>1037892
>Or are you saying 'she' to make a point?
I am, to refuse to dignify the man with his masculinity.
>>
>>1037895
0/10
>>
File: the map.png (206 KB, 4500x2234) Image search: [Google]
the map.png
206 KB, 4500x2234
>>1037830
>>1037854

Guys, you're doing it wrong.

>post map
>fill in all the countries you've been to using a color of your preference
>post
>next person uses it and does the same using a different color

And so on. Regions are not important, only the countries we've been to. I did make an exception for Somaliland because it's pretty much a country only not recognized by the international community as a sovereign entity. I know people on here have been to Somalia proper, but I seriously doubt anyone has been to Puntland.

Anyway, GO!
>>
>>1037959

And yes, I was too lazy to check off your countries >>1037830 and >>1037854

Canada just has so many little islands, it's well annoying.
>>
>>1037847

I agree with >>1037830, it's simply a collective effort. You see this is wrong with /trv/ nowadays, why would you see this as a dick measuring contest when it's simply to see how well /trv/ is travelled? I didn't hear "the dick measuring" argument" when we made this thread years ago. Not even once, not even slightly hinted at. The beta males have truly usurped this board.
>>
File: 0577___SXlHFe6.jpg (61 KB, 579x553) Image search: [Google]
0577___SXlHFe6.jpg
61 KB, 579x553
>tfw
>>
File: xzhemjhieqmihtmq.png (616 KB, 4000x1985) Image search: [Google]
xzhemjhieqmihtmq.png
616 KB, 4000x1985
>>1037959
>Guys, you're doing it wrong.
I was fully aware of my wrongness but too lazy to care. I have done my penance by filling in my countries and the other anon's.
>>
File: 1443900450431.png (600 KB, 4000x1985) Image search: [Google]
1443900450431.png
600 KB, 4000x1985
>>1038067

Just adding mine on. Funny that we only have a handful of posters and they've already covered the 30 countries I've been to.
>>
>>1038072

Whoops, accidentally colored Thrace as a part of Greece. Feel free to fix my error, whoever is next.
>>
>>1038072
>>1038073
I didn't do all the Canadian islands and even forgot Newfoundland. It was weird putting in mine and that other anon's, noticing how many places had been covered by the first map.

I'm aiming to make my next trip Nuuk. Flying outta Boston through Iceland isn't terribly expensive.
>>
File: 1443901694245.png (610 KB, 4000x1985) Image search: [Google]
1443901694245.png
610 KB, 4000x1985
>>1038072
Adding a few more that I've been to and the previous posters hadn't, mostly Australia, New Zealand, Argentina, & Japan.
>>
File: 1443906195058.png (612 KB, 4000x1985) Image search: [Google]
1443906195058.png
612 KB, 4000x1985
contribootin'
>>
>>1038130

I know for a fact we have people on here that have visited all of South America bar the Guyanas. Central Africa/America/Asia not so much, these truly seem to be the least desirable places for /trv/ to go to.
>>
>>1038130
Lousy template; how are we going to tick off the pacific islands?
>>
>>1038256
I dunno if it's least desirably as much as just more complicated. You need to have quite a lot of money and time to make the most of Africa (South Africa is easy mode) and central Asia, for example. They're less set-up for independent travel, and of course have a couple extra risks that while not insurmountable are going to keep away most casual travellers. I'd love to visit some parts of Africa, but realistically they're much lower on my 'let's make this happen!' list.
>>
>>1038327

Same. There are some parts of Africa I have a casual interest in visiting, but they're not really on my to-do list for the near or immediate future.
>>
>>1038292

All those tiny islands are never visited anyway, we barely got them any of them last time around. But you're more than welcome to change the template and update it.
>>
File: xzeciccrmxdnkixg.jpg (1 MB, 4000x1985) Image search: [Google]
xzeciccrmxdnkixg.jpg
1 MB, 4000x1985
anonymized and highlighting places not seen as a jpg
>>
bump to keep the map going
>>
>>1038386

I genuinely feel sorry for Finland.
>>
>>1039365
I was there for two months last year but can't do the template cuz I'm on my phone
>>
>>1037698
REMEMBER YOU ARE HERE FOREVER
>>
>>1039407
Nah you ain't
Thread replies: 75
Thread images: 21

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.