[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Which part of your budget goes to travel? How much do you usually
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
Which part of your budget goes to travel?
How much do you usually spend?
>>
Unfortunately I've not a statistic yet.
I can though tell you that I spent 750€ for a 15 days trip with bycicle (included transportation with boat and few train tickets) in Italy in the high season. So I'm frugal enough but I would like to erode a little more my expenditure (i.e. more free-camping, couch surfing (et simila) and cook my food once in a while).
>>
>>1118044
I don't typically budget for travel. I plan a trip, estimate costs and try to save up for that trip. I'll say that I don't usually spend much in a typical year. I do have some international travels that might be costly. In the past couple of years, I've probably spent 3000 or so (4000?) on flights, hotels, car rentals. This includes visiting friends, family, weddings, and vacation. On average, I fly once a year somewhere usually domestic for business or personal matters. I don't expect to spend more than 700 dollars for that trip after everything.
>>
Bvmp
>>
I'm a terrible saver so I try not to give a fuck about money when it comes to vacations. I want to make sure if I'm going to a certain place that I get the most out of the experience ie: Ocean view rooms, expensive tranquil locations.
>>
I have a 'cheap' holiday around Xmas for which I'll set aside under £400 where I might have a short getaway in Europe.

Then I have an all out summer holiday where I'll set aside £1k but won't hesitate going over if I really need to
>>
>>1118044
I dont really budget for trips but it normally goes like this

>plan 2 trips per year
>each trip cost between 2-3k
>spend the remainder of my spare cash on guns
>>
>Memorial weekend
go on a week long camping, rafting hiking and fishing trip. Travel and costs since we have all the gear already is only around 500$
>Thanksgiving
drive to the ocean, camp, or stay in a beach house. Go on various activities, drive and hike, go fishing, crabbing. Spend between 400-1000$
>summer/4th of July
go on a one week to two week long trip.(sometimes for a month if I have the time). This is the time I chose to travel out of the country usually. Typically just go to Mexico, or bahammas, something like that. Budget around 4k$ but flexible if I spend more or less, I just pretty much do whatever I want at the time.

If I choose to just stay home I go on a camping trip where we drive up to a large river and do a boat camping trip. Haul all of the gear and supplies for the trip by boat and travel a few hours and spend the few weeks there camping, boating and drinking. That's about 500$ for my supplies and portion of the trip.

tldr; I travel locally and within a few states around me mostly for very cheap and then plan larger vacations every few years for about 5k or less. Travelling makes up very little of my pay
>>
I have a well paid job and am single. That means I can blow cash on trips and not have to worry about it. Currently in Thailand, here for a week and spent about $2.5k on flights and maybe $1k on hotels, food, hookers.
>>
>>1118044
I get paid bi-weekly. First paycheck goes for rent, food, entertainment. Second goes to savings.

So 50% of my income.
>>
>>1118044
>Middle aged dad's perspective
I don't budget specifically for travel. But after my children (and a new car last December, but we don't do that often), travel is my single largest expense. My family takes 1-4 domestic (U.S.) trips per year that range from "$700 plus a couple of tanks of gas" to $5000+ each. Domestic airfare for a family of four is pretty serious business--it's rare for us to all travel together without spending at least $1500 on plane tickets. We also take an international trip every year or two--these vary widely in expense but are at least a few thousand a pop. We have done tacky, very un-RealTraveler, but affordable things including all-inclusive resorts, which are surprisingly cheap, but also independent stuff like renting a house in Italy. We'll take on harder places when the kids are a bit bigger.

Cheapest trips I've ever taken were short hops around Southeast Asia when I lived there. Not student/backpacker-level frugal, but close.

Most expensive trip I ever took was before my kids were born--my wife and I spent a couple of weeks visiting friends and taking a medium-high-end private safari in Kenya and Tanzania that we probably blew $20,000 on just for the two of us. But that included one business class ticket (we piggybacked on a business trip and burned up a lot of miles, so my wife's seat was free), several local African flights (airfare in Africa is somewhat disproportionately expensive, in my limited experience), about the fanciest dining and lodging available (high-end hotels and restaurants in Kenya and TZ are also steeper than you might expect; they're cheaper than they would be in New York or San Francisco, but a lot less affordable than, say, Bangkok, where you can sleep like a king for 2.5-star prices) and a weekend in Zurich on the way back. Oh, and I once spent $1500 for a long weekend in London, which was probably the most money I've wasted per hour, but that was a once-in-a-lifetime silly thing to do.

No regrets.
>>
>>1118313
kek
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.