[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Have you ever had THAT moment during your travels with others,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 2448x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 2448x2448
Have you ever had THAT moment during your travels with others, with friends? The moment someone suddenly brings up something he shouldn't or becomes annoyed about something and you end up despising eachother? Or have you ever just become bored? No matter how good your friendship is, it will happen.
>>
>>1117169
All sounds very immature, or maybe even a personality disorder. I don't know about everyone, but I don't dismiss friends as people I'm done with, for one infraction.

Absolutely it can suck to travel with someone who doesn't have the same travel smarts, travel budget and emotional maturity. Gotta sniff out the possible issues before the trip and law down some boundaries with the "ground rules" of what you will or won't be doing or else, and the or else can just be some tag team kind of sightseeing where you sleep in (or not) and do some separate activities during the day or evening, and meet up again for something you can both tolerate, like a meal. Or maybe it's meals that bug you. Sightsee together, and then go blow your budget at the michelin while the plebs eat food they cook. Laying out the ground rules in advance sometimes helps you prevent that whiney person who speaks without thinking to actually think about how their next move is breaking the rule and will result in drama. Some kids are used to being self-centered and selfish in family travel. Hope that helps you.

I travel with a best friend from time to time who views the hotel room itself as the vacation, and it's damn hard to explore the pool, the lobby, the town, until it's nearly checkout time. ALWAYS. Walk around at night? Nope, let's watch a movie in the room with all the snacks we bought. Know what I do? I let it go. This is how this person will always travel. Oh well. I'll be returning again and again to anywhere us two go. So, doesn't matter much.
I travel sometimes with a fearful friend who doesn't understand personal space and clings to your elbow while shopping to the annoyance level. My Ex did the same thing, grr. They are just biding their time while you do your thing, not even enjoying themselves. Instead of being bothered, I simply shrug it off and I'll be doing what I want when I want, and they have to live with it. Be nice about it.
>>
>>1117169
Are you a woman?
>>
>>1117169

I think I know what you mean, OP.

Traveled with a friend who was great fun. When he started drinking, he became an asshole though. He was manipulative, he'd put me down, he'd try to fuck with me.

Realized he wasn't a good person
>>
>>1117192
>>1117169

Nope.

I've only traveled abroad by myself. On the few road trips I've taken in the United States with friends, I have had disagreements and arguments, especially with one of my best buddies. He's very lacking in travel smarts, as another poster put it, and handicaps my experience in other cities. For instance, when we went to New York three or four years ago, he decided that he wanted to go to bed early. He made me go all the way back to Brooklyn with him because he was afraid he wouldn't be able to handle taking one train, walking a block, and hanging a right by himself. I was pissed, because the ride back to Greenpoint was the better part of an hour, and I had to turn right back around and go to Manhattan myself.

But it didn't impact our friendship in any appreciable way. We're still best friends, go to the gym together, and took another road trip after he finished a medical school interview down South.

I've met with friends from previous trips in other countries and always had a blast. I hitchhiked with a friend I met in Istanbul from his college town in central Germany to Venice before we parted ways. Made some good memories and almost ended up squatting until we found somebody who let us sleep as his place in exchange for a cigarette.
>>
>>1117169
Traveling will test friendships but it will usually make them stronger if you're mature enough to recognize that there is always some give and take
>>
>>1117169
No, because I travel alone whenever I can.

Pretty much for this reason, actually. Too many experiences with people saying "umm, I mean, are people going? I'll see what X thinks. Yeah X isn't sure, it sounds weird. Yeah let's just hang out in the hostel actually"

Solo is god-tier. Has its disadvantages too, but I've loved it so far
>>
>traveling with friends
>>
>>1117488
This tbqh
>>
>>1117169

>friend had first shift of driving the car on the way home
>falls asleep while driving.
>we all wake up when we hit the median
>thought I was going to die.
>>
>>1117169
>travelling with group from my uni
>organised study tour
>finished study portion
>just touring

We're in a minivan cruising down a Vietnamese highway, chatting about some old ladies we saw in the last town and about how elderly vietnamese are way more physically active than elderly westerers dying in rest homes.

>bitch says "well, we know from the bible that humans used to live for hundreds of years"

wat

I never attempted to have an intelligent conversation with her again.

She turned out to be an American missionary studying Vietnamese to go convert the heathens or something. Most of the rest of the group are studying international business or anthropology
>>
>>1117192
>>1117267
>>1117274
OP here. I'm not saying your friendship will be over completely, but it will be tested and can ruin your trip. I know this doesn't happen with everyone. Perhaps I didn't formulate my statement correctly
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.