[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Talk to me about Russia My wife and 2 friends (a couple)
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 76
Thread images: 12
File: Flag-map_of_Russia.svg.png (133 KB, 2000x1163) Image search: [Google]
Flag-map_of_Russia.svg.png
133 KB, 2000x1163
>Talk to me about Russia

My wife and 2 friends (a couple) are supposed to be heading to Russia (Moscow, Petersburg) in August for 10 days. However everyone other than myself are kinda nervous about their safety in Russia. They read all the reports of the Skinheads, Police, bydlo's and the general lack of english. I have tried to assure them that it really isnt THAT much difference than any other european city (My wife and myself have been to several) but they just cannot get it in their heads that its relatively safe.

What does /trv/ think of visiting Russia? What are some must see places that arent normally high on the list? How friendly will they be to americans(not the flag waving, loud speaking variety)?
>>
I went to St Petersburg and Moscow for 10 days in April. You literally have nothing to worry about as long as you remain fairly central in the cities. We never went very far out so I can't tell you how dangerous it is in the dodgy areas but I doubt it's much more dangerous than any American ghetto. All the Russians we met were very friendly and helpful. St Petersburg is more European than Moscow, so people are more open minded and speaks better English. You definitely won't have any issues finding people speaking English, quite the opposite - they'll probably be happy practicing their English with you. I'm not American though, so I can't say anything about how they'll react to that. But there is definitely a big difference between what the Russian government thinks and what (decent) Russians thinks.
>>
>>1110556
Yea, I even used the comparison that you used about areas of cities being a big difference to my friends and they still didnt see it (walk 2 blocks the wrong way in shitcago and you will be dead).

Did you enjoy your trip? Would you go back?
>>
>>1110556
>But there is definitely a big difference between what the Russian government thinks and what (decent) Russians thinks.

I hate Russians like you that shit-talk your country to American muds and Western Europeans, just to try and curry favor with them.
>>
>>1110693
Did you even read his post? Pretty sure >>1110556 isn't Russian.
The Russians you describe and "hate" certainly don't sound like solid people, and I think you could find such people in most countries. Also, you can find rather clever people who can share an informed critique of their own country. These sorts of people are as important to a vibrant & progressive society as drinkable water, just so certainly as blind patriots who defend their country just for the sake of appearances are an impediment to development. As a tourist, I like to find people whose opinions sound reasoned enough to be trustable, and hence form an integrated memory of my foreign excursions.

>>1110524
I've heard from Russian expats that the centrum in major cities is perfectly safe. Though, if you venture far off the beaten track to more isolated villages, certain marginal elements can be aggressive for no sane reason. Even heard of a guy getting verbally harrassed by a drunk on a train just for daring to speak English. Fortunately the fellow was travelling with locals who shouted & shamed the drunk down in their friend's defence. So, there's all sorts. I hope the four of you have a great time, and will feel inspired to post results here!
>>
>>1110693
I think you are confused
>>
>>1110524
I'm Russian from Moscow.
I don't sure that you can meet Skinheads. Bydlo (low level of education aggressive people) may be in some areas at night, but I also don't sure that you may walk in places like this at this time. (It's like walk in black areas in Baltimore at night. Not very comfortable places.) This places are near Moscow Ring Road (MKAD), like Reutovo, Butovo, Ismailovskiy park and something like this.
Police is ok, but some of officers don't speak English.
So, central part of Moscow and Petersburg (and also Sochi, Nizhniy Novgorod, Kazan, Vladivostok) are civilized. Small towns (most of them) are poor, not comfortable, sometimes dangerous. But I think you don't want to see Orehovo-Zuevo or Urev-Polskiy. ;)

What do you interested in?
In Moscow you should see Kremlin (You can walk inside.) Tretyakov gallery, Gorkiy Park (the main park in Moscow), if you are interesting in nightlife - near Gorkiy park there are island with bars and clubs - Rad Cluster.
Go to the Bolshoy theather. (classic Russian show.) Go to the Gogol center (modern russian show, often they have English translate.)

In general, Russians have neutral views on US, EU and other countries/nations. So, I think that you will feel comfortable in big cities.
>>
>>1110693
Why is russian hate so prevalent on 4chan? I mean at least POO IN LOO is a meme. I am honestly starting to think that many different countries hate russia, and I am not sure why
>>
>>1110556
>I'm not American though, so I can't say anything about how they'll react to that
I'm an American who's been to Russia a few times--I admit that my last visit was a few years ago, before Ukraine intrigue and Syria escalation, when relations were a bit less acrimonious, and also that I speak Russian (not that well, but functionally), which probably makes things a bit different. But I found people perhaps a but suspicious but never really hostile.

I was at a coffee shop one morning when a gang of local dudes who'd been out all night drinking staggered in, pretty diverse but led by a burly/fat skinheadish gopnik who called me over to their table. He was fascinated to learn that I was American, and over the course of a few rounds of vodka shots (he told me later that the only reason he liked me was because I drank with him) he asked me a bunch of mildly goading but not explicitly aggressive questions about Americans and our view of Russia. "Who was the first man in space? Who won WWII? How much vodka can you drink? How many Russians are there in America? Could they overthrow the government?"

Overall, I'd characterize the Russian in the street's view of Americans as competitive, frankly a little poisoned by an inferiority complex, and perhaps a little defensive. But not really hostile. If a visiting American isn't too arrogant and expresses respect for Russia, he or she is not likely to be met with anything other than.... perhaps slightly suspicious curiosity, or even fascination. They think about us a lot as a culture, because we haven't faded from the national imaginary there as much as they have from ours.
>>
>>1111015
But how easy is it to fuck Russian girls?
>>
>>1111116
If you have money and you are willing to throw it around, it is very easy.
>>
>>1111116
>>1111015 here; I agree with the poster above... for rich, good-looking dudes it's not a problem. Also true for extremely rich ugly dudes. But that's rich by global standards--the economy may be struggling now, and people in the sticks may be poor, but Moscow is still one of the most expensive cities in the world and Russian oligarchs are still dollar billionaires. Middle class Westerners do not impress local gold diggers.

Or you can just get lucky--although there's widespread, shallow materialism, they are also people, and it's not a culture with many hangups about sex.
>>
>>1111143
Are Russian women the hottest in the world? Not to mention there is 10 million more women than men in russia
>>
>>1111356
In terms of attractiveness, I would definitely say Russia has a higher average than other countries I have been to. A lot of it comes down to the effort the ladies here put in to their appearance.
>>
>american applies for Russian visa with plenty of time according to instructions on website
>so far has taken a week longer than it should have
>still don't have passport back
>no one answers the phone so I can't even ask what's up
>flight is early next week
What the fuck do I do? I'm feeling like I'm going to miss my flight and can't do anything about it.
>>
>>1111356
Depends on what you like, obviously, and I'm probably a little biased (my wife is of Russian-speaking Ukrainian descent, although many generations removed), but I'd say that Slavic women in general are often beautiful. I'm not sure Russians are inherently better looking than, say, Poles or Slovaks, but it's easy to find lookers.
>>
I am going to visit St Petersburg soon and want to try slavic specialities. Blinis, pickles, borts and vodka of course, but is there something less well known also, such as salo or kvass?
>>
>>1111375
>but is there something less well known also, such as salo or kvass?
Kvass is available from kiosks, all supermarkets, and, occasionally, in vending machines (these used to be more common in the CCCP days). It's not to my taste, but it's very easy to find. What other kinds of things are you looking for? There's ukhá (yxa), a fish stew that seems like a very north-Slav lakeside-dweller tradition; there are good local breads and sausages; samovar tea is distinctive and delicious; the Russians do good ice cream. Or you could just eat a dish of sour cream (smetana/cмeтaнa) by itself as an appetizer--you can obviously get that in many places, but alone it's a very Russian way to serve it.
>>
>>1111356
Visually I think so. They tend to have a harsh, ice queen attitude though. Personally that's a turnoff and I end up falling for Central Europeans (polish/Czech/Slovak girls) instead. They're still incredibly hot but often total sweethearts too.
>>
>>1111356
>Are Russian women the hottest in the world?
When they're young they are gorgeous, they age BADLY.

At 40, they're fat babushkas.
>>
>>1111541
ahahaha
true
>>
>>1111541
How much of this has to do with socio-economic status? I know in the US you can have a hot as fuck poor girl and by age 40 shes busted, however take a average looking wealthy (not really rich but upper middle class) girl and she will still look good by her 40's.
>>
>>1110556
>>1110561
IIRC property values in the richest area of Moscow (Arbat) are only two times higher than in the poorest (Kapotnya), as opposed to two degrees of multitude difference in some cities in the US. This is another way of saying that there are no real ghetto areas in Moscow.
>>
>>1111633
I think it's a question of diet and lifestyle (some aspects of which are also socioeconomic), and it's changing. Historically, the Russian diet was heavy and lacking in fresh fruit and vegetables most of the year. And it's historically been a very heavy smoking and drinking culture, which obviously ages you. They still smoke too much and many still drink too much, but access to healthier food is more widespread.
>>
>>1111654
>drink too much

If I am not mistaken Russian women drink less than Czech women and the Czech women I saw in Prague were pretty hot (including middle aged women)
>>
Big cities in Russia really aren't dangerous. Some suburbs or neighbourhoods may be rougher than others (and you might see - to a Westerner- occasionally shocking incidents of viciously drunken violence even in city centres), but really, compared with big cities in the US, or for that matter France, there's nothing to worry about.

True also that if you go out to one-horse provincial towns where they ain't accustomed to meeting furriners, you might encounter (probably relatively mild) hostility, but again, in the big cities, you'll be fine.
>>
>>1110524
I went alone to Russia and traveled from St. petersburg to Vladivostok by myself. General lack of english is indeed a problem, even at Moscow, but if you have a brain and patience you will be able to do everything you want. Safety is not a real problem, just avoid drunk people and you'll be fine (I almost got hit there twice but I was at retard places at retard times)
>>
>>1110524
Tip for you from polishfag - dont take your won car with you, rent it and avoid public transport. Russia is cool, but people are poor and police corrupted to the point youll be surprised how much you cant rely on them.
>>
>>1111769
own*
>>
>>1111754
You amerifat? Age? I'm about to do that this summer but in the opposite direction.
>>
>>1110524
I am from Siberia.

The threats you've mentioned are generally unrealistic. Besides the lack of Englsh.

I reaslly Enjoyed Pskov and Izborsk village near by. Very cool heritage

However, not sure if you wwant to travel to smaller cities with limited time.
>>
>>1111889
I'm south american, It was last year (I was 26).
I visited St. petersburg, Moscow, Ekaterinburg, Novosibirsk, Irkutsk, Lake Baikal and Vladivostok. Just ask anything you want to know
>>
>>1111015
They serve vodka at a coffee shop? My god...
>>
>>1111941
It's not hard to find booze anywhere in Russia. Kiosks, the street... but anyhow, this coffeeshop was a full-service restaurant, it just happened to specialize in expensive espresso drinks in the morning. On Arbat, down at the end closest to the station.
>>
>>1111941
probobly he meant that it was a question, rather than an offering.

But yes, alcohol is served in uncommon places.
Sushi places are places are common for drinking in lately hours.

Places like Mcdonalds, Burger King,Subway always serve beer.

Coffeeshops often(atleast in my region) have some wines, cognacs or whiskeys. Vodka? - not so sure. But during my 10 year time in Russia - I've never seen anyone drunk or even drinling in a coffee place.

Drinking in mall foodcorts - oh, that of plenty.
>>
>>1110524
went to the same places, same moment of the year. I wasn't in danger at any single moment. You won't be either, provided you dont go to completely shitty neighbordhoods I guess. I feel (and I clearly am) more insecure in the street where I live, in France.
>>
>Moscow
>St. Petersburg
It is the richest and most European city in Russia.
>>
>>1111541
all women age badly desu
>>
>>1112203
>all women age badly desu
If all women aged badly then we wouldn't have a reference point for ageing badly.

Obviously some age worse than others. Everyone deteriorates with age, that's not what ageing badly means.
>>
>>1111938
Not that anon but also planning Vladivostok to St Petersburg, 25 and travelling with a friend. My itinerary looks almost identical minus Novosibirsk. Best thing in each place? Things you wished you did? What to avoid? Rating of the trip overall? I assume you went by train, is navigating the system difficult? Length of trip and cost? Cheers anon, and feel free to reply in Spanish.
>>
File: lenin.jpg (4 MB, 5152x3864) Image search: [Google]
lenin.jpg
4 MB, 5152x3864
>>1112570
Best thing in each place:
I like history, and Russia's is totally epical and tragic. Moscow and St Petersburg got lots of museums and remains of communist and tsarist Russia (pic related), and that was my favorite part in European Russia. As I went to the East, cities were not so amazing like the europeans, and not so many things to do, but I also had a good time because everything was so different to me and because people in the cold vastitude of Siberia are totally friendly to foreigners (and very curious). Lake Baikal is awesome, it felt like another planet to me. Besides it, drinking and spending my time at the train were my main activities in Siberia.
I missed some good opportunities like watching Tchaikovsky's swan lake ballet (there was one at Novosibirsk and I missed it because I was drinking and didn't know about it until it was over). Also snowboarding, because I wanted to enjoy snow as I had never seen it before.
>>
File: moskva.jpg (5 MB, 5152x3864) Image search: [Google]
moskva.jpg
5 MB, 5152x3864
>>1112570
What to avoid: avoid the drunk thugs. I almost got hit by one of them when I was at a CSKA Moscow hooligan bar. I didn't know it was a hooligan place until it was too late, but when those guys realized I had no ideia what I was doing they were very nice to me. But things could've been worse. Besides that, just be careful as you would be anywhere else and there won't be much problems.
Navigating the train system: You are aware that people don't speak english over there, and cashiers at train stations are no exception. I had to tell them where I wanted to go, the date, the time, the kind of train wagon and also that i wanted the lower beds of second class wagons. Thing is, I can't speak a word of russian, so it was quite an experience. I used hostel/hotel wi-fi to translate all this information to russian, write in a paper in cyrilic alphabet, go to the train station, hand the paper and be very patient about everything. Somehow it worked.
During one of those train siberian trips I had to share the cabin with a family of russians on their 50s for 20 hours. After giving me vodca, cognac, cake, 200 rubles and a fish, those guys took me to the hostel. And they couldn't speak a word of english.
>>
File: baikal.jpg (4 MB, 5152x3864) Image search: [Google]
baikal.jpg
4 MB, 5152x3864
>>1112570
Length of trip: From St. petersburg to Vladi, about 21 days. Then I went to South Korea and stayed for 3 more days at Seoul then went back to South America (about 10.000 km/6000 miles). Cost: about 4 thousand dollars (flight tickets included). i'm not really sure about these numbers because at the time currency was very different (between my country money and US dollars). It was about 13.000 brazilian reais (february 2015) if you really want to do the math. (Flight tickets were almost half of the costs).
>>
File: mc.jpg (2 MB, 2592x1936) Image search: [Google]
mc.jpg
2 MB, 2592x1936
>>1112570
Rating of the trip overall: 10/10. Best one I ever did
>>
>>1112715
>>1112722
>>1112726
>>1112729
Cheers anon, exceedingly helpful.
It sounds like mine in reverse, starting in Seoul and then flying onto Vladivostok to start.
>>
>>1110524
What's the deal with needing insurance to get a Visa?
>>
>>1112726
That's what I'm doing g too except in reverse. Seoul then Vladivostok and west.
>>1112858
Holy shit. Wanna fuck?
>>
im from russia, answer your questions
>>
File: 1448391539725.gif (2 MB, 266x349) Image search: [Google]
1448391539725.gif
2 MB, 266x349
>>1112955

how are americans besides white people treated in russia? Like african americans, latino or mixed race. Me and my friend want to travel around russia but we've heard russians can be racist
>>
Travelling in Russia is generally as safe as anywhere else in South East Asia or Eastern Europe. I don't think that anyone will give a crap as long as you don't stand out from the crowd by being loud, arrogant or a dick head.

Act normal and everything will be fine. Russians and eastern Europeans are usually happy to meet foreign tourists and show them around unrespective of someone's skin color.
>>
File: Post-Malone.jpg (175 KB, 1280x853) Image search: [Google]
Post-Malone.jpg
175 KB, 1280x853
>>1113114
What if I look kinda like a Chechen? I look a lot like this guy (minus the afro-centric fashion accessories). I have debated shaving my beard to blend in better, but Id really prefer not shaving my beard.
>>
>>1112955
>>1113106
Totally forgot about this, latino here what can I expect?
>>
>>1112950
If our timelines end up coinciding I'm down with meeting a fellow trveller, assuming you're cool.

When you going man? Aiming for August here.
>>
>>1111116
Checked.
>>
>>1113214
If you are going to visit the major cities (Moscow, St. Petersburg), nothing bad will not. If you do not know the Russian language, it will be a little difficult. Beware of drunk people and do not walk through the dark unlit streets.
>>
>>1113207
You will be fine man. I live permanently in Moscow now and am told on a regular basis that I look chechen, or that I speak Russian like a central Asian (poor grammar/syntax). Never had any problems so far. Once people understand that you are a foreigner they will be at least neutral, if not welcoming.
>>
>>1113216
I will buy you both a beer when you get to Moscow.
>>
>>1110971
Because of biased media here in the west, most burgerfags believe the shit they're told on Cnn and Fox.
>>
File: 1441508030998.png (603 KB, 630x630) Image search: [Google]
1441508030998.png
603 KB, 630x630
>>1111769
>police corrupted
Any fresh proofs? Dont bring any 2000ths crap
>>
File: exrcmgu.gif (3 MB, 533x367) Image search: [Google]
exrcmgu.gif
3 MB, 533x367
>>1113106
Gopnek here.
latino or mixed race is ok.
Black dudes might get something like this ->
>>1111015
But no1 gona beat you up.
>>
>>1113621
Why blacks only?
>>
Is it safe for Asian-looking people to visit? My friend told me Russians beat the shit out of Asians because they think they're Siberians or something.
>>
>>1114125
>My friend told me Russians beat the shit out of Asians because they think they're Siberians

Sounds like bullshit. Lots of chinks like to do some tourism around and so far i don't think they've had more problems in particular.

What i do think is that they don't have a good reputation as tourists, so people might be wary at first, but as long as you behave decently you'll be fine.
>>
russia is a beautiful place lol russian food is good too and russia has a beautiful culture and nice people
>>
>>1114119
Xenophobia? Blacks are the easiest target because of their skin color.
>>
>>1110693
He's not Russian, you dingus
>>
>>1114147
>>1114147
Every asian (mostly Chinese) tourist I have encountered (as well as just chinese people while in china) have bee horrible humans.
>>
File: 23131.jpg (207 KB, 850x1062) Image search: [Google]
23131.jpg
207 KB, 850x1062
>>1114125
Russianfag here
>Siberians
Wat? Theres no such thing.

These more then 100 nationalities in federation, so anyone except kebab and blacks are ok. People will think that you are russian from different part of Russia.

Kebab is treaded with suspishion and blacks are just rare to see - so every will be curious.
>>
>>1114192
>>1114119
Locals probably never saw one so they will be curious. I doubt so1 will do anything aggressive.
>>
File: problem.png (290 KB, 700x563) Image search: [Google]
problem.png
290 KB, 700x563
>>1114876
Hi Ukie. How much do you get for shit tier posting like this? I hope like 120 000 hrivnas (something like 1-2 $)
>>
I want to go to Russia in the future. What should i expect? Where is the action at? One thing i have had in my mind is to drive from Finland to China through Russia, it's a crazy but fun idea.
>>
>>1114974
The fuck is the action you are looking for? I guess Crimea and the Caucasuses have the most action.
>>
Well, I live in the middle Russia not far from Moscow (about 400 km). I traveled to Moscow and St. Petersburg several times so you can ask me anything about travelling in Russia.
But overall russians are nice with foreigners.
The majority of people in large cities know English.
>>
Kind of an odd question but does anyone have any experience with Russian boxing clubs? I'm going there for three months and would like to continue doing a little boxing.
>>
>tfw have a connecting flight in Paris

Well I hope they beef up their security
>>
>>1115891
I would disagree on the majority bit. Outside of Petersburg and Moscow english speakers were pretty uncommon in my experience. It's not to say they're not out there, but don't expect to find them in stores or restaurants.
Thread replies: 76
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.