[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Not sure if this is the right board to ask this, but here it
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /toy/ - Toys

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1
Not sure if this is the right board to ask this, but here it goes.

How is traditional figure modelling doing now that 3d printing is avaivable? Do people still make and sell the hand made ones?
>>
I work at a 3d printing company and most toy companies exclusively 3d print their prototypes and make molds from them. Skylanders does this, sideshow collectibles, hasbro, ect. Most are modeled in zbrush, rhino, 3dsmax, maya
>>
>>5670144
If you want to make minis it's not worth it to buy your own 3D printer. FDM printers aren't that good for small parts and details. Most companies will order SLS prints for their rapid prototypes.

Shapeways offers SLS prints for a cheap cost, but the detailing isn't as good as actual prototyping services and they use older machines. If you're looking for detail you should look at shapeway's high detail acrylate, which are use DLP, curing resin with a laser. That would be ideal for miniatures that you can take a mold of and recast using stronger casting resin.
>>
>>5670214
However, there are still companies who use traditional materials, and among doll (BJD) ones sculpting per hand is still more common.

I'd say when an artist wants to get into it it's best when they learn both.
>>
>>5670224
3D sculpting and modeling is worlds apart from traditional sculpting and carving.
>>
>>5670225
I didn't say they aren't.
There are still a lot of people who learned to do both, same like people who draw traditionally and digitally.
No harm in getting more skills for more opportunities.
>>
>>5670223

most use polyjet. The finish is nice and can print bigger models.
Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.