[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
History of Playmates Star Trek
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /toy/ - Toys

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 5
File: Image (10).jpg (2 MB, 1203x1600) Image search: [Google]
Image (10).jpg
2 MB, 1203x1600
Alright, /toy/. I've been collecting the 90's Star Trek line for the better party of 9 years. I love the line and it's silliness dearly, but it occurs to me I know little about the actual production/history of the line itself. I'll break this down into sections.

1. Production notes, accessory lists, anything in house you have/can dig up about what was produced for whome, and why. Figure choosing would also be good.

2.Information on why the line became so cheap to collect nowadays. Seems unlikely seeing as ninja turtles go for extreme amounts of money and were produced in the same quantities only a couple years previously.

3.any pictures of actual store shelves stocking the figures. I want to know how they faired in relation to the other stuff on the pegs, and how much was packed. Did they truly dominate? I want to know.

That's all I can think of for now, /toy/. Thanks.
>>
They became cheap for the same reason that 1990s baseball cards are cheap. They were aimed at and collected by an older audience that put them away expecting them to become valuable. I don't know anybody that actually played with Star Trek figures. So you have something like half the Trek figures ever made still sitting on card in closets or shops all over the country. Now, because they are ultimately toys, most of those cards are pretty rough, either through manhandling at retail or curling with age, making them not particularly desirable as display pieces. On the other hand, they're kind of so-so as functional toys and have been surpassed by the Diamond figures from a few years back. Sure, they have their charm, like Diaclone or ARAH, but there's a whole generation of collectors who outright shit on anything that isn't a Figma.
>>
>>5264401
> Finally a Playmates Star Trek thread
Oh! I have a weird item from this line...I'll try to snag a photo of it when i get home from work.
>>
Bumperino
>>
>>5264401
>Information on why the line became so cheap to collect nowadays.
They are cheap for the same reason Power of the Force figures are cheap, basically this:>>5265125
>>
>there will never be Figuarts Star Trek figures
>>
>>5266245
Did Star Trek ever catch on in Japan?
>>
File: damn_it.jpg (1 MB, 1200x900) Image search: [Google]
damn_it.jpg
1 MB, 1200x900
>>5265235
Me again!
Here it is. It's a pin. I found it at an old book shop, of all places. As a Trek fan and toy collector I just had to buy it.
>>
It's funny. I mostly own figuarts, robot spirits, revoltech, and figma. However, I saw a bunch of these at a flea market and the guy knew me from past purchases. He just told me to ignore the prices and they'd all be $3 each for me. It worked, I bought 17 right there and it's been a slippery slope since. The design is charming and they cover so many random characters that will never get figures. The articulation isn't up to what I normally collect, but my nostalgia trumps that easily. I actually wanted these as a kid but only got Hugh the Borg. He's still a kickass figure.

I love this line, and yes all those fuckers get opened.
>>
>>5267512
>type in "playmate hugh" into google
>somehow surprised about the images returned

Here's this glorious bastard.
>>
>>5267519
Fuck sorry
>>
>>5267403
Kinda looks like a pog.

>>5264401
I collected them as a kid, some as a teen... you know, the days when being a nerd wasn't cool yet. I have bought up lots on and off over the years since then. eBay kicked off a huge hunt for me grabbing Marvel and Star Trek figures when the site first started. I have the bridge and hundreds of figures packed up for the moment as we work on a bigger house. I'm going to dedicate part of the rec room to displaying all of the greatness that was those lines.

They are correct, everything 90s was over produced in major numbers and then lots of fans dumped collections after they figured out they weren't going to be worth big bucks. Real fans still pick them up, though. I have quite a few different Borg models now.
>>
>>5265125
>I don't know anybody that actually played with Star Trek figures.

With THIS VERY ACTION FIGURE combined with rapid button pressing, you could force Patrick Stewart to say

"Dammit, Captain's Log, ENGAGE!!"

Stick that in your "not actually playing with Star Trek toys" pipe and smoke it.
>>
>>5264401
They're not bad toys and some have better likenesses than DST managed, but they can rarely hold weapons, many of them had a rainbow of colors for their accessories because it was 90s Playmates, and they had that dumb v-crotch that makes their legs useless.

They're good if you can get them between $2 and $5, the TOS 7-pack is still pretty good if you can get one cheap, but postage is the real killer on these. Few collectors want to pay $8 postage on a $3 toy, so they don't buy them online.
>>
>>5265125
As toys I think they blow the diamond figures out of the water.
>>
I still need the drunk from Quark's
>>
I have the whole line minus a couple. All in bins in my closet. Every playset and vehicle. I Gotham all for about 150 over the course of 5 years. I have about 250 figures. They are really dirt cheap to collect.
>>
>>5271072
Morn?
>>
File: gornmugatu7.jpg (189 KB, 900x1200) Image search: [Google]
gornmugatu7.jpg
189 KB, 900x1200
This bastard is easily my favorite figure from the line. I love the shuttlecrafts too. Captain pike was always head of things in my adventures. Kirk never cared for that very much, heh.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.