[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Can anyone explain to me why they stopped doing BotCon and JoeCon
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /toy/ - Toys

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1
File: 8555096_orig.jpg (223 KB, 800x604) Image search: [Google]
8555096_orig.jpg
223 KB, 800x604
Can anyone explain to me why they stopped doing BotCon and JoeCon is on it's last couple?
>>
>>5779200

Funpub negotiated for the Joe licence for 2 more years while Hasbro get's it's plans together.
>>
Despite complaints against Funpub, both warranted and not, it would seem that the main reason Hasbro wants a convention with all of their properties under one convention. In short Hasbro wants in on the convention bucks.
>>
>>5779336
Yep, and watching the bronies/SJWs under the same roof with the Botcon goers is going to be hilarious.
>>
When FunPub got the rights to do botcon, they also bought the Botcon name, so since their license has ended, they've managed to take the name with them.

not the first time the name has been in turmoil, in 2003 and 2004 Botcon was called something like Official TransFormers collectors Convention. They can possibly get the name back eventually, though.
>>
Long story Short Thanks to a core group of Joe fans, Depriest and Mark Weber FunPub got the go ahead to do two more (Atleast) Joe-Cons with the deal barely being put together a week before Joe Con.

Bot Con is dead as far as I know.
>>
In all fairness, Hasbro knows GI Joe is a borderline dead brand that's mostly liked by /pol/ rejects anyway, they don't want to under their roof with the big brands. Hasbro's wising up and tossing out the product lines no one wants. Remember how they were trying hard to bring Jem back, then the movie fucking bombed harder than the Boston marathon? Now they won't even acknowledge the brand. They're hoping MASK and Micronauts will do well, but if any of them tank they'll be killed off forever too.

Really the only thing even keeping Joe on life support is that the hardcore fans are dumb enough to buy $50 club repaints.
>>
>>5781865
Hasbro never tried to bring Jem back. They licensed the rights to make 12" fashion dolls out to Integrity Toys, a small 3rd-party company, similar to the way they licensed Sideshow to make 12" A Real American Hero when they gave up on doing their own. If they'd tried to bring Jem back they would have actually done something in-house instead of handing it off to someone else, and they clearly gave no fucks about the movie because it got zero merchandise tie-ins. Even Battleship got a movie edition of the board game. They practically said "fuck it, do whatever you want with it, just cut us a check".
>>
>>5781865
>then the movie fucking bombed harder than the Boston marathon
3edgy5me
>>
Putting 5 cons under 1 roof is just the king of thing a company too stupid/aimless/greedy to invest for the future does. They'll have one con that people give a chance. Once they see there's not much for them there (they're sharing 3 days with 5 brands_and_ cutting costs), attendance will fall. Hasbro will think the 2nd was a fluke but won't schedule a 4th when the 3rd does even worse. And then we'll have all of the apologists run out and lecture us about how collectors don't like cons anymore because there can't possibly be any other factors at work.
>>
>>5781865
Youre fuckin dumb.

First off G.I.Joe is brand that endured since Action figures started and was the first action figure line. Why would Hasbro invest in a line if there was no money in it. but giving it a brand manager, a third movie and having it be center piece in not one but two shared Universes.

>$50 club repaints
Youre math is as is dumb as you are.

Even with the FSS the figures are 25 bucks for as much new parts as the MOTU Classics but are produced at a smaller scale what the secondary market does is charge what they "think" it's worth no different than any other line but hey I get it you didn't get your Dial-tone so now your butthurt.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.