[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Has anyone tried 3D printing extra parts for their toys? Like
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /toy/ - Toys

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 5
File: 3260.jpg (77 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
3260.jpg
77 KB, 1024x768
Has anyone tried 3D printing extra parts for their toys? Like extra heads, accessories and that kind of thing?

Let's say if you didn't like the head sculpt of one of your toys, you could theoretically 3D print a better one, right?
>>
File: Photo on 06-07-2016 at 16.17 #3.jpg (116 KB, 1080x720) Image search: [Google]
Photo on 06-07-2016 at 16.17 #3.jpg
116 KB, 1080x720
bumping for potential interest
>>
you could but unless you had a crazy expensive one it'd be pretty lacking in detail and have pretty clear layers of plastic. You could sand it down and stuff from there, but currently it's not worth it. You'd be better off just sculpting one yourself really.
>>
Expensive, difficult, lots of trial and error. Someone in the polynian thread made high heels for shamrock though.
>>
Some guys in the customs thread have experience in this area. You should check with them.
>>
You're better off scultping it by hand. You have to be proficient with 3d modeling, have an expensive 3d printer, and still clean up the piece after printing it anyway.
>>
3D printing would be a dream for modeling simple objects like planes I imagine. Gawd, the new Raiden jet is so sexy, wish I had the money for one of those things.
>>
>>5779796
You'd have to scribe the panel lines by hand. Even a SLA/DLP printer would have a hard time with that fine level of detail.
>>
>>5779787
There's always the option of paying someone else to print it. Shapeways is good. There's plenty of options, smooth, rough, various plastics and metals, and a decent price. Worldwide shipping.

It's a fucking shame that i trained in a program which costs around a thousand dollars to buy without a student license, otherwise I'd be making some great stuff.
>>
File: IMG_0545.jpg (2 MB, 2448x3264) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0545.jpg
2 MB, 2448x3264
>>
>>5776867

I looked at doing this for my gundams. Shapeways, a company that does rapid 3d prototyping, has plenty of oddities for models. I was going to buy some stuff off there for my X wing set. But I'm sure you can send in stuff you have 3d modeled.
>>
>>5776867
If I had a 3d printer, I would try to make a shit load of guns.
>>
Shape way.com

I printed tons of transformer weapons from transformers prime that they didn't make into toy form.

It was a nylon 3d print but now use 3dhubs.com and you can really cheap abs plastic print So!
>>
File: image.jpg (69 KB, 625x465) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
69 KB, 625x465
One of my models
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.