[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /toy/ I've not really been into figures until recently,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /toy/ - Toys

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 1
File: TruForce-Mega-Man-X-Figure-008.jpg (42 KB, 871x960) Image search: [Google]
TruForce-Mega-Man-X-Figure-008.jpg
42 KB, 871x960
Hey /toy/

I've not really been into figures until recently, kind of want to get into them but not sure where to start. Is there a wiki or some such I could look into? To learn about manufacturers and distributors? Toy lines?

This was the figure that got me into them. I adore it. Really dig the ridiculous amounts of articulation it has. Anything else like it? Or any other Mega Man figures you could recommend?
>>
Back in the 90s and 00s, we had a thing called "lurking".
>>
>>5756627

Ignore that other asshole op, just look at the catalog and you'll see generals for different toy manufacturers like goodsmile or revoltech or neca, stuff like that.
>>
If you want Megaman figures with ridiculous articulation, try to find the Rockin' Action Rockman.exe figures. To this day I haven't seen another figure nearly as poseable. Sentinel is making their own Rockman.exe that looks good from their new 4-inch Nel line, but it doesn't loose as poseable. Cool accessories, though. They're also making an original MM8-styled Rock.
>>
>>5756627
>Tips
-Walk into a store/go online somewhere
-Look around til you find what interests you
-Consider expenses, prices, sales
-Enjoy

>Tricks
-Be wary of variants, figure types and similar products from other companies
-Thrift stores (Ross, TJ Maxx, Five Below etc) will have better prices on domestic-brand toys if theyre old/unsuccessful enough
-Toy collecting is a slippery slope. You think you need one, but you end up with all. Think long and hard on all your purchases, rare or not.
>>
>>5756691
Ehh, isn't Rockin Action that line with the brittle ass plastic that broke really easily?

Anyway, I do recommend lurking OP, just in a nicer way than the earlier guy said it. Check out some threads, hang around a bit, and you'll get to know the major companies and what they do. Then you can make an informed decision on what to buy next. It might sound like a lot of work, but trust me, it pays off! I didn't know anything about toys when I first got here either.
>>
>>5756627
>Anything else like it?
Overpriced figures that may take huge "artistic" liberties but with cool engineering here and there. You should search and learn about SEN-TI-NEL, EX Gokin and Super Imaginative Chogokin (SIC).

>Or any other Mega Man figures you could recommend?
D-Arts are super nice looking. Kotobukiya kits are also quite nice and get rereleases every once and then. Also take a look at the upcoming 4INCH-NEL line from SEN-TI-NEL.

As for learning about the different toyline, I'd say read /toy/ every day for like two weeks, you'll get 95% of what you need to know. For starters, just remember that you should avoid Play Arts Kai (PAK) and Revoltech at all cost.
>>
>>5756832
What's the reasoning behind avoiding PAK and revoltech products?
>>
>>5756845
Revoltechs age horribly, all of them (plasticizer leaking, looseness...). Don't believe what the "that only apply to the first ones" crowd says. Plus, while that's just my opinion, as a former Revoltech collectors (I had about 60), the very second another company announces their own version of a character, the one you have in Revoltech form immediately starts to look like shit. Ugly finish too.

PAKs are shit in all domain but quality/sturdiness. The sculpts are terrible in person, the engineering is retarded (just look for some pics of their double jointed knees), they're super overpriced for what they offer and they scale with basically nothing but other PAKs.
>>
>>5756863
Bullshit. The environment (heat/light/etc) is what causes problems in older Revoltech. You really think other brands will last that much longer when you're getting sticky plastic in a Revo after 1-2 years? All your toys would be leaking plasticizers like crazy under those conditions. You're KILLING them faster than normal.

In the proper environment there are people who own the most notoriously sticky Revoltech figures and are only just now running into mildly sticky plastic after 5+ years. The plastic quality in the old ones IS worse because you don't hear about new Revoltech stored under shit conditions getting sticky after a year.
>>
>>5756917
All my toys, including 30 years old ones, are still perfectly fine and the environment didn't change since I sold my Revoltechs. Go have a tantrum in your shitty toyline containment thread.
>>
>>5756928
You really must be storing shit in a bad environment.
The only one that became stick from my old collection is mazinkasier.
My other revols (zoe series/vash) are fine even though i store one of them in my sauna like room.
>>
>>5756936
Sure.
>>
>>5756627
If you liked this figure look at anything and everything in the poseable figure variety by Sentinel (they helped Truforce with that Megaman figure). Just search for "sentinel toys" or something.

Their a bit overpriced, but Sentinel puts out really good figures. They also do a lot of robots under their Riobot and Metamor Force line (Gurren Lagann, Getter Robo, Dancouga, etc...). They also have their Re:Edit line dedicated explicitly to Iron Man. They also have a 4-inch line coming up with some Mega Man figures in it releasing in like August (regular Mega Man and EXE).
>>
I've always been a Toy Biz/Hasbro nut. 6 inch is my jam.

Recently I started Dabbling...
>Figma Great for starters into Japanese figures and can be found at US comic shops sometimes.
>Bandai (Even the Model kits are awesome). Easy to order on Ebay
>Max Factory/Good Smile... great figures but start to get expensive...
>MAFEX - I wish I had some
>SH FIGUARTS - I wish I had some.
Rich people go for the HOT TOYS/SIDESHOW COLLECTIBLES: DOLLS, which I just got one of recently. They actually have a cool payment plan thats like basically layaway. Be careful on final cost though, it jumped 20 bucks on me and I got pissed and talked to Customer service who fixed it.
>>
>>5756815
Rockin' Action are actually pretty durable. The joints are kind of like shinkis. I don't know how you'd break them unless you've got giga-hamhands.
>>
>>5756928
I see you didn't bother explaining what your environment actually is in terms of heat, humidity, light exposure, etc. Is it because you're living in sweaty shit hole third world jungle conditions?

Also the older toys don't have the sticky plastic issue for the most part because the plasticizers were added in higher quantity later in order to facilitate softer parts and cheaper production on more advanced toys. You can find some older experimental toys that used these less durable materials and have since fallen apart though.

>>5756936
Those aren't particularly known for becoming sticky. It was the stuff with the gloss coat paint from earlier on (Lazengann, Mazinkaiser, etc) that liked to get sticky faster. Vash is mostly matte and ZoE are metallic.
>>
>>5756832
People like you with company loyalty and strict rule about avoiding certain companies are retarded.

Do your research and if there's a competing product in certain scale figure out who had the best offer. For example recent Revoltech Ultron blow Figuarts and Hasbro out of the water. The upcoming Revoltech Deadpool will also likely gonna blow their competitors out of the water. I'm not shilling for Revos or anything, all I'm saying is just pick and choose wisely.

Same deal with PAK, although 90% of them are shit. For example DMC4 PAKs are alright, Dante came with a weird goatee painted on him but you can just rub it off to make it screen accurate. The recent variant Predator from PAK also looks pretty rad
>>
>>5757094
I see you didn't bother to understand that the environment point is useless since all my other toys are still fine which prove that Revoltechs are inferior. I live in the lowest part of the Netherlands by the way, in a way better environment than your shitty US of A, retard.

>>5757101
People like you should kill themselve for being this retarded.
>>
The primary thing you need to realize, OP, is that toy collectors are hateful people and going to them directly for advice will always result in collectors of different lines shouting and arguing. The best way to do this is to lurk and try to figure these things out on your own.
>>
summer
>>
>>5757180
This. Most people here are fucking retards who will never admit toy X is shit because they fell for it or can't afford better.

Unfortunately, some will give you real advice about what to get and what to avoid but you'll always get someone stating it was bullshit too so your only option is to simply buy what you thinks look good and experience for yourself what's shit and what's good.
>>
>>5757180
/Thread
>>
>>5757195
>opinions are objective
WEW
>>
>>5759020
You're a retard.
>>
Going by the example of the X you posted, I'd recommend looking into Sentinel's stuff. It can be on the expensive side, but their whole mantra is pretty much "take artistic liberties and go ham with the engineering." Super Robot Chogokins are also really good about using clever engineering to increase articulation.
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.