[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
K'NEX
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /toy/ - Toys

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 5
What went wrong?
>>
>>5703810
do they still make lego things?
>>
I always felt like the way K'nex was designed it always played second-fiddle to Lego. If they went with a more modular system it could've been a bigger competitor than Mega Bloks is.
>>
>>5703827
Which came out first, the Lego technics stuff or K'NEX? K'NEX was always more about model building and Lego was more of a building toy. I think it just fell short compared to Technics Lego stuff, probably due to the colors being more for children. I don't remember the pricing, I think they were similar.
>>
>>5704882
>Which came out first, the Lego technics stuff or K'NEX?

Technic, obviously.
>>
>>5704882
I remember K'nex coming out in the early 90s, while Technic was around at least since the 80s (possibly even late 70s?)
>>
File: image.jpg (235 KB, 1147x1056) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
235 KB, 1147x1056
tfw you wanted the orange or black box but you only got the yellow
>>
>>5704893
Wikipedia says late 1970s (1977 at least).
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lego_Technic

The technic stuff was in more neutral colors and seemed more modular. The K'NEX stuff was all bright colors, which made it worse for building models if you were an older teen. In my experience K'NEX was also less modular and it was more difficult to build with. With Legos you had tons of options and could stack pieces easily to get the dimensions just right.
>>
>>5703810
>what went wrong?
people like art. knex is not art.
>>
I enjoyed K'nex and legos as a kid. I'd say K'nex fell out once Lego made Bionicle. K'nex was great for the motors it gave you and all the fun automatic stuff you could create, though.
>>
I never liked K'nex as a kid, Meccano erector was cooler, even
Construx. I prefer Lego tho.
>>
File: big-blue-box-of-knex.jpg (255 KB, 1257x919) Image search: [Google]
big-blue-box-of-knex.jpg
255 KB, 1257x919
The appeal to me for K'Nex was larger models with more mechanical options and motors, and the lower popularity meant clearance more often. Like a poor man's Mindstorms.

>>5704976
>tfw gave blue to a garage sale
>>
They didn't keep making the giant pinbal, rollercoaster, or MechWarrior
Seriously, those were fucking awesome
>>
File: 1445465662197.png (21 KB, 176x232) Image search: [Google]
1445465662197.png
21 KB, 176x232
>>5704976
>tfw had orange
>tfw sold everything in 2008 to keep family afloat during sudden recession
>>
>>5705631
Yeah, those were super awesome. Every K'nex superstructure was god-tier, bar-none.

But I remember them being numbingly expensive so I never go any.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.