[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Are black lights ok to have around figures /toy/? Pic related
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /toy/ - Toys

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 6
File: 41z5KhBXXnL._SY355_.jpg (14 KB, 355x355) Image search: [Google]
41z5KhBXXnL._SY355_.jpg
14 KB, 355x355
Are black lights ok to have around figures /toy/?

Pic related
>>
>>5687990
Only if you hot glue them from time to time to stop the blacklight from causing damage.
>>
File: 27500_1_large.jpg (62 KB, 330x480) Image search: [Google]
27500_1_large.jpg
62 KB, 330x480
>>5687996

What if it were an led black light? I'm aware of florescent lights damaging everything, but I want to be sure if like your average light that something like one of the LED black lights will not cause any sort of damage, that or one of these things.
>>
As long as you don't buy your figures secondhand.
>>
>>5688003
You know that's a CFB, not LED, right?
>>
cue the endless amounts of joking about hot gluing. because no one is clever and can say anything remotely original.
>>
Seriously though, blacklights put out UV, UV accelerates the degradation of plastics.
>>
>>5687990
Depends on if you're doing lewd things wif your toys that you wouldn't wanna be showing off
>>
>>5688720
what kind of light doesn't give UV?
>>
>>5689769
LED is safest for toys I think
>>
>>5689802

iirc your standard light and led is fine, but everything else especially Florescent lights are damaging to em.

Though looking up LED blacklights, they state they're UV anyway.
>>
"blacklight" means Ultraviolet.
>>
>>5687990
No, blacklight is not ok to have around figures, unless you think it is fine to keep your figures out in direct sunlight. Short periods may be alright, but try to avoid it.
>>
File: Moec.jpg (18 KB, 400x219) Image search: [Google]
Moec.jpg
18 KB, 400x219
>worrying that your dollies might start to show signs of aging in 15 years instead of 20.
MFW

Christ, by the time you even suspect that you might see the slightest imperfection due to "UV damage" you probably won't even be interested in/own those figures anymore.
>>
>>5689820
Because it needs to give off the UV to work as a black light.

If you're doing a handful of cool shots from time to time, you're fine. If you want to display them like that, don't.
>>
File: transformers discoloration.jpg (466 KB, 2036x1560) Image search: [Google]
transformers discoloration.jpg
466 KB, 2036x1560
>>5698073
>losing interest in your toys after 15 years
most people stop "growing" after 25, so their interests remain mostly the same until death or something traumatic.
There's also people who want their shit pristine, like giant nostalgiafags who care about G1 Transformers whose stickers and plastic aren't faded or damaged, and these nostalgiafags still care about these old shitty toys 20 years later.

And besides, UV damage happens in about 5 years, depending on how long the light is hitting it. Sometimes it takes less than a year.
>>
What are some good led bulbs for rooms then?
>>
File: Number-1-Jackson-Pollock-1949.jpg (171 KB, 800x484) Image search: [Google]
Number-1-Jackson-Pollock-1949.jpg
171 KB, 800x484
>>
>>5687990
most blacklights would never give out UV-C radiation, unless they are used for medical grade sanitation, so they are pretty safe and would not depolymerize whatever plastic toys.... i worked in plastics for a number of years...
>>
>>5688306
>if only people were more clever like me!
>>
>>5698073
We're not just talking slight imperfections here. Constant exposure to UV can cause serious discoloration and yellowing, and some plastics can become significantly physically weaker in a very short time.
>>
Maybe, but it makes 'em look fucking awesome.
>>
>>5698073
UV lights can fuck your entire collection within 5 years. Also,

>"you probably won't even own those figures anymore."
>giving your toys plastic cancer and dumping them off on some unsuspecting collector
Wow, look at this faglord.
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.