[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I want to cast clothes parts for my custom 1/12 figures. Any
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /toy/ - Toys

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 3
File: plasti1.jpg (35 KB, 448x296) Image search: [Google]
plasti1.jpg
35 KB, 448x296
I want to cast clothes parts for my custom 1/12 figures. Any suggestions on what I can use to cast for pliable but set form clothes? I'm considering plasti dip.
>>
>>5681850
I've been wondering about Plasti-dip too, but for other things like coating my boat so it wont get wet. Or making some sweet new grips for my vintage pliers...Damn that would be so sweet!
>>
File: 1320992451620.jpg (350 KB, 400x1950) Image search: [Google]
1320992451620.jpg
350 KB, 400x1950
>>5681850
Plasti dip should work fine, I think some people have even done precisely that in the past. Anyway, sculpt your positive, create a two-part mold from it, paint/swish around some plasti dip inside the mold, and you should be golden.
>>
>>5684179
>Plasti dip should work fine
It doesn't. As a material it is too prone to rips, even in multiple layers. The image that you have is a 100% different material and consistency to Plasti Dip and isn't an apt example of what to expect from that product. They're using lacquer-thinned silicone and liquid pigment.
>>
>>5684193
so what speciality product or home brew products can I look for to do the job?
>>
>>5687105
>>5684193
>They're using lacquer-thinned silicone and liquid pigment
That.

Or casting rubber. But good luck getting together such a thin and odd shaped two-part mold without a pressurized injection molding machine, though. Of course you could always rotocast it if you understood how to create axial rotating devices...
>>
>>5687129
I wouldn't know where to go to find these things,...I just know lacquer can be found at the hardware store, but where to get the silicone? and when mixing, any sort of information on what the portions might be?
>>
>>5687191
Lacquer thinner. And silicone can come from tubes of pure silicone caulk, white or clear. Mix at a ratio that gives you a ketchup consistency, slosh it around in the mold to coat it, and let the thinner evaporate from the mix over a 4-5 day period before opening and separating the mold.
Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.