[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What killed the SRC line? Why did Bandai abandon it?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /toy/ - Toys

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 12
File: mazinger vs getter robo.jpg (22 KB, 480x270) Image search: [Google]
mazinger vs getter robo.jpg
22 KB, 480x270
What killed the SRC line? Why did Bandai abandon it?
>>
>>5672198
Diecast joints are retarded and people realized they couldn't use stands for flying poses with fucking Braves of all things because they're too bottom heavy with weak joints. Their legs sag way too much when in the air.

Diecast only belongs on 8+" figures meant to be displayed as expensive standing art to show off your wealth. SRC should have an extension of RD with the same playability and lightweight construction perfect for cool poses.
>>
I blame the big order room releases
>>
>>5672198
honestly? i think it might have been Brave, and I say this as a huge Brave fan.

I've bought every single non-exclusive Brave release, and every single non-Gaogairgar/Genesis GGG toy was put on clearance. They clearly didn't sell well.

Even Choryujin went on sale for 5 bucks once

Bandai are playing it safe now, with classic super robots and even more Mazinger repaints. Hopefully the line can pick up the pace soon
>>
>>5672198
- shit economy which results in those affordable alternatives to SoCs becoming expensive on their own - I wouldn't be surprised if that Big O will cost almost as much or even more than the SoC back then
- Mazinger repaints and retools up the ass to the point where one has to wonder if Bandai is just fucking with their customers
- almost pointless cross joint system that no one asked for and no one needs
- web exclusive shit
>>
File: skl.jpg (373 KB, 1963x707) Image search: [Google]
skl.jpg
373 KB, 1963x707
>>5672198

I'm just glad they released this edgy motherfucker. Way more accurate colors (don't let the purpleish look on the official pics fool you), busted eye and wings. I didn't bother with ragged poncho version, but this is just what I wanted.
>>
File: jeeg mazinger.jpg (144 KB, 790x780) Image search: [Google]
jeeg mazinger.jpg
144 KB, 790x780
>>5673012
>- Mazinger repaints and retools up the ass to the point where one has to wonder if Bandai is just fucking with their customers

Yeah, it's pretty damn ridiculous how many of them they released. And they have another one planned, pic related.
>>
>>5672596
>SRC should have an extension of RD with the same playability and lightweight construction perfect for cool poses.
I'd be completely fine with this so long as they didn't have that nasty bare-plastic look that RDs do. SRCs were all about bold colors and metallic paints, whereas RDs look like unpainted Gunpla half the time.
>>
SRC Is not finished until they make and release a Dragonzord to go with My Megazord.
>>
>>5673004
>Even Choryujin went on sale for 5 bucks once
That's because Choryuijin was shit. It should've been a solid figure but it was a mess.
>>
>>5673216
what didn't you like about it? i havent handled the figure in a while so i dont remember...

main thing i didnt like was the head. it was colored after the toy instead of the show! even though the box pictures gave him show accurate colors...
>>
>>5673012
>>5673038
You know what's the worst part? They won't even bother reissuing the Shin Mazinger version or making an OVA repaint of it. They're purposely making shitty business decisions at this point. Nobody is going to buy Lemon-Lime or Hello Kitty Mazinger.
>>
It's slightly less dead than SoC what with it actually getting new announces and releases right now

Still, they've been releasing characters that are a bad fit for the line, such as the aforementioned Braves, whose transformation gimmick is an integral part of their identity, and the SRW mechs, which do not have designs that make diecast seem appropriate in addition to being less known (and arguably Zeorymer is like this as well).

Not to mention shit like this >>5673038
Who even asked for that? If they're going to do a Mazinger repaint, they could at least do one that people might actually care about, like Great Mazinger in its manga/OVA colours.

Anyhow, they'd be served well by doing characters that they weren't able to get entirely right in the SoC line, like Combattler V, as well as not releasing ridiculously expensive figures that will only appeal to a handful of people as just happened with Giant Robo
>>
>>5673838
Retarded splitting gimmick
Retarded crotch wrap/shell that was ugly as shit
Floppy diecast joints
>>
>>5674007
>OVA repaint
>Literally the only thing that changes is the Pilder becoming white
You're better off doing that yourself if you care so much
I think Shin Mazinger actually did get a chrome version that came with the normal Scrander instead of the God Scrander, but yeah, the normal one is too expensive for its own good now. I just got it for $70 including shipping the other day, and that's the cheapest I've ever seen it
>>
File: tumblr_mgvlr8ecOw1ra5emyo2_1280.png (674 KB, 639x1004) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_mgvlr8ecOw1ra5emyo2_1280.png
674 KB, 639x1004
>>5674024
you didn't like the splitting gimmick??? I thought it was quite well done.

How else would you get Goryujin and Genryujin?

i could see how you didn't like the crotch design. didnt bother me tho

I hear alot about floppy diecast joints on SRCs, yet I haven't had a single one like that?? they all seem to hold their poses well.
maybe im just lucky

>>5674014
>Braves, whose transformation gimmick is an integral part of their identity
while this is true, Braves toys that are 100% show accurate cannot transform, as their show models are very simplified. as such i think Brave SRCs have their place

Shadowmaru would have made a good SRC, his show model looked nothing like his toy
>>
>>5674024
>Retarded splitting gimmick

If you own GekiRyuJin too, the splitting gimmick is great.

>Floppy diecast joints

That's not a ChoRyuJin-only problem, all SRCs ar prone to this.

>>5673838
>main thing i didnt like was the head. it was colored after the toy instead of the show!

The head is silver like in the show and the DX toy. What are you talking about?
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (13 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
13 KB, 480x360
>>5674049
duude, the toy had a silver head, but in the show he had a gray helmet and white face.
>>
>>5674038
>while this is true, Braves toys that are 100% show accurate cannot transform
This is true of anything toy that is meant to transform, but you can get a good 95% and still have it transform. See: MP Exkaiser, SoC GaoGaiGar and Goldymarg, and any of the transforming CMs Braves

Of course, if you mean within a certain price point, again, Bandai should have kept it to the RD line.

There are also other, perhaps less desirable solutions to the conflict of accuracy and transformation. Yujin, for example, made a Bryger that could assume all three modes and had them all be incredibly accurate, but did so through massive amounts of parts swapping instead of an actual transformation. Unsatisfying, but it still gives you all three modes looking as nice as possible and all the functionality and play value you could ever want out of a Bryger figure
>>
>>5674054
>gray helmet

The helmet is the same color as the thighs, waist and upper arms in the show. If they decided that grey=silver on the SRC, it makes sense to be that color because they also painted those other parts silver. The faceplate being blueish grey instead of white is weirder but doesn't bother me that much.

The Ryu brothers being bare red/blue/yellow/green colored plastic instead of being painted in metallic colors like their symmetrical docked forms is way worse. Bandai cutting corners at its finest.

The main problem I have with the SRC line is that some releases are stylized or painted in a way that clashes with some other robots from the same series. They lack uniformity.
>>
File: exkiz3.jpg (385 KB, 1124x441) Image search: [Google]
exkiz3.jpg
385 KB, 1124x441
>>5674073
you have a point. I guess they did SRC Braves cause transforming ones, no matter how accurate, wouldnt be as poseable as action figures?

>See: MP Exkaiser, SoC GaoGaiGar and Goldymarg

I'll give you the SOCs, but I never liked how MP Exkaiser looked. here's a custom that solves its proportional issues

>>5674080
>The Ryu brothers being bare red/blue/yellow/green colored plastic instead of being painted in metallic colors like their symmetrical docked forms is way worse. Bandai cutting corners at its finest.

>The main problem I have with the SRC line is that some releases are stylized or painted in a way that clashes with some other robots from the same series. They lack uniformity.

my sentiment exactly. SRC Volfogg looked really nice with his glossy white painted face, but the Ryu brothers didnt have that.
also, their black cheek vents and the black outlines for their eyes were omitted, had to do those myself..
>>
File: ryus.png (123 KB, 300x283) Image search: [Google]
ryus.png
123 KB, 300x283
>>5674087

And Genesic proportions are stylized in a completely different way than GGG and GFG. Looks somewhat out of place with the others, like something from a different toy line.

>also, their black cheek vents and the black outlines for their eyes were omitted, had to do those myself..

They also used the very same face sculpts for all the four Ryus, but FuRyu and RaiRyu have jaw guards that HyoRyu and Enryu lack, pic related.
>>
>>5674109
>FuRyu and RaiRyu have jaw guards that HyoRyu and Enryu lack

woah i actually never noticed that. Good eye, anon~
>>
File: ryus 2.jpg (159 KB, 400x482) Image search: [Google]
ryus 2.jpg
159 KB, 400x482
>>5674119

On the DX toys the difference is pretty obvious if you look at their faces side to side, I guess I noticed thanks to that.
>>
File: 26ac41c8.jpg (136 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
26ac41c8.jpg
136 KB, 1024x768
>>5674140
that's some crazy attention to detail on Sunrise's part.

Bless Brave's amazing animation
>>
>>5672198
>killed
>abandon
>still getting releases and announcements
Kys.
>>
>>5673038
Is that a Popy/Shogun Warriors homage SRC Mazinger behind it?

I need that in my life.
>>
File: exkiz1.jpg (258 KB, 1124x252) Image search: [Google]
exkiz1.jpg
258 KB, 1124x252
>>5674087
Are those parts in 4 scratch built? They look like they're from something, but moonrunes are making it hard to decipher.

http://sky.geocities.jp/gekirobogun/exkiz.html
>>
Yeahhh Bandai will release a new Src Great Mazinger in Iron Color ver
>>
>>5672596
Yes. I tought that they have an overall better look, but articulation-wise they are weaker.
I think the peak in mobility for the RD line is the Shining Gundam, and they should have used it on every SRC figure with a similar frame.
If SRC had better articulations they would sell more. But also the line is now too overpriced. I can't find a Genesic GGG at an affordable price.
But I hope they release Big O.
I think that for super robots the mixing of plastic and die-cast is awesome (remember the super robot in action line? Horrible), but real robots can be 100% plastic and belong to the RD line (Alteisen and Weissritter I'm talking to you).
But obviously this is just my opinion
>>
>>5677276
>If SRC had better articulations they would sell more
I find they're suffieciently mobile, though.

with SRCs the articulation is effected by the design of the robot (See SRC Getter 1's crotch), so it varies quite a bit.

SRC Volfogg is actually on-par with Robot Damashiis articualtion-wise, but his leg design prevents substantial ankle articulation
>>
>>5677341
I don't expect Giant Robo to be as posable as Volfogg. It's obvious.
But I don't own all the RDs and SRC, especially the latest ones, so I can't do an 100% objective comparison.
I'd still love for new original releases. I hae to buy Gunbuster, Gurren Lagann, Genesic GGG, Dendoh, Reideen and many others. Shit!
>>
>>5677408
>I don't expect Giant Robo to be as posable as Volfogg
apologies, didnt mean to imply that to be your expectation~

Definitely get GGG and Volfogg, they're some of my favorites~

are you interested in buying SRC Daizyujin from me? I'll give him to you for free if you cover shipping (which may be expensive since i live in the middle east)

i dont want to part with Gunbuster and Gurren Lagann yet... but I might
>>
>>5677668
No Megazord, thank you.
Right now my aim is buying the SRX Variable Box from Volks. I can't find it anywhere. I know it's off-topic but if you have any useful link, please share. Right now there is only one on Yahoo auction, but it's used, broken and without boxes..
>>
>>5677737
hmm, that's a rare (and expensive) one

get an account at Figinstock.net, its a site that updates you for Japanese toy sites.
use "ボークス srx" in the preowned section, Figinstock will send you an email if Mandarake or Amiami get the SRX.

speaking of emails, could you give me yours? if I decide to part with Gunbuster and GL, i'll contact you. they'd be free, because i'm very short on space.
pretty sure i lost gurren lagann's normal face, but he'd come with the Giga drill set
>>
>>5677408
Dendoh/Ogre has the best articulation in the line as far as I know. It puts most RDs to shame.
>>
>>5677798
Email sent

>>5677895
Has it? Wow, and it's one of the first SRCs released (2010?)
>>
File: T202.jpg (59 KB, 600x400) Image search: [Google]
T202.jpg
59 KB, 600x400
>>5672198
here it is, the legacy of SRC
Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.