[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I was at Toys R Us yesterday checking out the Ninja Turtles and
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /toy/ - Toys

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 8
File: wtf.jpg (139 KB, 720x960) Image search: [Google]
wtf.jpg
139 KB, 720x960
I was at Toys R Us yesterday checking out the Ninja Turtles and I saw these. $10.99 each.

What the hell is wrong with Playmates?
>>
I'm pretty sure I owned all of those from the original runs.
>>
>>5657438
they're higher quality than their 2012 series that's for sure.
>>
>>5657438
Inflation. Those probably cost today's equivalent of $10.99 when they came out, or close to it.
>>
>>5657470
The price wasn't really my main issue. These reissues are ostensibly "collector" focused, but who wants absurd Turtle variants over something vaguely worthwhile like Leatherhead or Rat King or something? Or maybe the Movie Star Turtles that were going to be reissued and then got canceled for some reason?

Also, unsurprisingly, they're missing paint apps as compared to the originals (check out Mikey's orange shades).
>>
I thought it was neat that they were releasing the old, original versions of the figures (Just the standard 4 turtles, and the bad guys) but I didn't know they were rereleasing the off-the-rails outfits/designs...
>>
>>5657500

Christ, if they're more collector oriented, just make them $11.99 and don't cut the paint apps.
>>
>>5657470
except there's no excuse for these to cost more than the modern line when they're simple figures. "Collector" is a term that has no real bearing on this, it's just used to milk stupid people.

>>5657500
This. Why reissue absolute crap no one even wanted the first time around?
>>
>>5657761
i agree. curious how these compare to the originals.

I wonder if the plastic is shittier as well
>>
>>5657801
The plastic on the reissues of the main for themselves are is almost identical. Safe assumption they're using the same molds. Either that or molds made from them.
I really like this serious, I really don't understand how people are bitching about it. I love having some old school turtles MOC.
Either that or you can use the weapons and belts as replacements for the always missing originals for display.
>>
>>5657466
Actually no. These are turds from the original toy line. Some of the worst from the series.

I remember getting Touchdown Leo and it being such a shitty figure, that it was one of the last figures I bought from the line.
>>
>>5658442
The concept of reissuing old figures is fine, the problem is that in this case they've chosen to reissue three figures that are total junk that nobody wanted in the 90s, let alone now. They should stick to core characters that people strongly associate with the original show and movies. Wouldn't it be better to see Baxter Stockman, Tokka and Rahzar back on the shelves than random-ass Soldier Donatello or Football Leonardo?
>>
>>5658684
Says you. The crazy variations are one of the most iconic parts of the original line. Other characters getting reissued would be great,too,though.
>>
Would prefer to see themed box sets.

The four turtles, Splinter, April

Shredder, Bebop, Rocksteady, Krang (cartoon android body version), Foot Soldier, Baxter Stockman

Mighty Mutanimals themed set: Wingnut/Screwloose, Mondo Gecko, Mana Ray, Slash, Casey Jones, and Mutagen Man
>>
>>5658684
They know what they are doing. The market for the weird ass TMNT figures (these, cave turtles, star trek turtles, etc etc) is really big lately. It's a trend among a whole subset of collectors that has pushed the value of stuff like Toxic Crusaders and the like way through the roof. The retro toy market is a lot like the retro videogame market right now. People who shit on these, or Playmates' decision-making, are just out of the loop.
>>
>>5658818
If utter shit is what's hot right now I'm glad to be out of the loop.
>>
>>5657761
They cut paint apps on the 20 dollar bebop and rocksteady, playmates are just jews.
>>
>>5657500
>but who wants absurd Turtle variants over something vaguely worthwhile like Leatherhead or Rat King or something?

Well...fuck.

Can't even argue with you there. Now that I think about it, I'd love a chance to pick up an original Metalhead, Fugitoid, and Slash...
>>
> never release Classic Shredder and Krang
> Shit overpriced movie figures
> Now this

Congrats Playmates. You're now the world's turdiest toy company, beating out Mattel, Jazwares and even Shockertoys. There are bootleggers in Cambodia doing more quality work than you.
>>
>>5658623
I own 2 series of the 2012, I can say, with confidence that they look better than the majority of figures.

The only thing the 2012 has over the original line is the party van is a lot cooler and the shell raiser is a nice addition.
>>
>>5659429
>Even Jazwares

Let's not say things we don't mean anon.Jazwares is the worst company for figures.
>>
>>5659512

Have you seen tmnt lately? They make Jazwares look like Hot Toys..
>>
File: 50336365.jpg (63 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
50336365.jpg
63 KB, 400x400
>>5659525
>>
>>5657500
>who wants absurd Turtle variants over something vaguely worthwhile like Leatherhead or Rat King or something?

T-thanks for the retro figures playmates.
>>
>>5659525
>toys don't instantly explode
>actually put out a few good figures in the last few years even if they occupy a sea of crap
>put out actual playsets

Nah. No matter how shit playmates is, it is no where as bad a jazwares.
>>
>>5662174
Perhaps it's for the best these were canned, at the rate they are cutting paint apps they'd have 3 colors each.
>>
>>5658835
That's not entirely far from the truth.
>>
File: kdthfjafcaabpoknmjbv.png (653 KB, 800x450) Image search: [Google]
kdthfjafcaabpoknmjbv.png
653 KB, 800x450
Playmates is shitting the bed so bad lately I'm dropping 65 bucks each on these.
>>
File: image.jpg (115 KB, 640x517) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
115 KB, 640x517
>it ain't Playmates starts playing
>>
>>5664246
Ok, while I still don't like the sculpts quite as much as the Classics I think I may be sold.
>>
>>5657466
what is with people on 4chan jumping the gun to hate on anything remotely new for no other reason than "not muh ___"? its like the fucking internet capital of hipsters.

its patently obvious when you can't provide a reason, too. just saying "well dis better than dat" isn't really an argument anyone will take seriously. why even type it and go through the annoying capatcha just to say that? you really that thirsty for conflict?
>>
>>5664246
>diecast legs

yeah that doesn't look shitty or anything. the turtles always had robot legs in the cartoon.

>b-b-but, muh sh figuarts
>>
>>5667977
I can get not liking diecast, but you do realize they're gonna paint the legs right?
>>
>>5667986
oh okay, I didn't know. seeing as the rest of the figures are painted and I can't read Japanese and this pic is the first time I've seen these versions of them.

I saw some people complaining about them in the other TMNT thread and figured that was the reason why. guess they were just nagging to nag but that shouldn't really be a surprise here I guess
>>
>>5664246
I'm so tired of die cast being shoehorned into toys to drive the price point up. It always ends up being a detriment that ruins the toy. If you want to charge more per figure give me something of actual value like more accessories. That requires effort though.
>>
>>5670294
expect 50% of known copies to have paint chips within 2 years.

10% to have them straight from the box.

Companies aren't willing to use adequate metal paints on die cast anymore.
>>
File: ben-day-100dpi.jpg (235 KB, 1012x479) Image search: [Google]
ben-day-100dpi.jpg
235 KB, 1012x479
>>5670294
>I'm so tired of die cast being shoehorned into toys to drive the price point up.
>driving up the price by using cheaper materials and molding process
>collectors will pay more for lower quality materials and work
This is /toy/, who will always praise and ask for it all the time.
Blame your fellow collectors.
>>
>>5670544
Is there any company that actually tries to make die cast work?
>>
>>5670976
>ben day dots
>>
File: jada warthog.jpg (207 KB, 1023x612) Image search: [Google]
jada warthog.jpg
207 KB, 1023x612
>>5670979
Mostly car toy companies.
>>
>>5670979
Takara
>>
>>5670979
There's no need to make it work, it's a cheap gimmick for retards who are ashamed of buying children's toys and somehow feel vindicated by it.
>>
>>5671330
buy any of the Encore series of TF reissues and you'll see they couldn't spare the extra buck on decent paints that adhere to metal well.
>>
File: 1309620359306s.jpg (11 KB, 211x252) Image search: [Google]
1309620359306s.jpg
11 KB, 211x252
>>5670976
subjectanon pls go and stay go.
>>
>>5667994
there's no reason for diecast in these figure except to drive the price up. the shell can't be so heavy that they'd need metal joints to hold it up. In a few year those diecast joints will become useless so they're time bombs waiting to happen.
>>
>>5670544
>>5670979
Bandai has been doing it for a long time. If you've owned a modern chogokin the paint jobs are very good and durable. I think paint chipping gets blown up a lot more than it should among collectors. there are still old 80's transformers out there that still have their paint intact. Sometimes companies use the wrong materials and the paint chips off like an m&m shell but I don't think its as common as people fear it to be.

The thing about these turtle figures is theres so much surface area rubbing with all the joints in the foot. I would have preferred they made the shins diecast and the feet plastic.
>>
>>5671388
>the shell can't be so heavy that they'd need metal joints to hold it up
Yeah it is. with the position of the hips& legs there is disproportionate weight towards the back because of the shell.

with plastic legs they could stand, but only in a hunched and bending forward position.
Hopefully with the diecast they can stand up straight, if not, it's a complete waste and mistake
>>
>>5671388
>except to drive the price up

yeah I'm sure they'd be charging less if they'd gone with all plastic, and that the price isn't totally milking people.
>>
>>5671381

Fuck off Bandai shill.
>>
>>5671381
Don't call him out, that's exactly what he wants. He feeds on (you)s and identification.
>>
>>5671395
> there are still old 80's transformers out there that still have their paint intact.
This is horrible logic.
That's like saying wild grizzly bears are safe because some didn't maul a human to ribbons when they tried to pet it.

> I don't think its as common as people fear it to be.
Diecast being seen as shit for action figures wouldn't be a common complaint if it wasn't common.
Facts remain:
1. diecast metal is a cost cutting feature.
2. paint has to be slathered on overly thick
3. paint more susceptible to scratching
4. slathered on paint will make sculpted details look softer

Using diecast on limbs to balance a figure is dumb as shit, since most figuarts already come with stands. If they actually want to balance the figure, insert weights inside the limbs.

But nope, retards already believe that diecast is somehow worth its weight in gold and companies will continue to take advantage of their ignorant views by charging more for cheaper work.
>>
>>5671400
i doubt the cheap metals they use for the diecast can ever compare to weight of all the plastic in the shell side of their backs.
Gold or uranium is the only thing that can keep em balanced when standing straight up.
Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.