[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
how is the revoltech dragon?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /toy/ - Toys

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 6
File: dragonlikes.jpg (44 KB, 600x400) Image search: [Google]
dragonlikes.jpg
44 KB, 600x400
I came upon this magnificent looking dragon by meer chance and was instantly captivated by it. Can anybody please tellme how it is? I never see this thing in anyones collections. Also if anyone could kindly direct me to a cheaper price than the one on amiami then I am sure you would feel a warm embrace of good karma.
>>
I have the iron/rust version, it looks really nice, but the individual segments are fiddly as fuck and the dragon is more of a "pose it once then let it look nice" toy rather than a toy you can play with constantly.
>>
>>5657226
It looks incredible though, does it look the same in person? it would definately be the centre piece of my collection.
I never owned a revoltech before but these revoltech have a reputation for holding poses really well dont they? so it must be a little bit of effort compared to other figures to create a pose especially with this many parts in a figure.

Thanks for giving me a bit more to think about. You can even moves its eyes right!
>>
I like the concept of a Chinese dragon figure and the Revoltech dragon face looks great, but something just looks off about it on its grounded poses, though it might just be the reviewer not putting a good pose/angle from what I've seen. The Revoltech kirin looks better in the images I've seen of it.
>>
File: IMG_0661.jpg (1 MB, 1936x2592) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0661.jpg
1 MB, 1936x2592
>>5657425
I have the one in photo and it looks much better in hand than the promo shots but I agree with. >>5657226
Hes not really playable hes more of a.. poseable statue.
>>
>>5657498
wow even better than the promo shots! thats nuts. Thx for the photo btw.Really like your skeleton too can tell just from looking at it thats its got Japanese origins.

It is a little tricky to comprehend what you guys mean by a poseable statue. Is it a pain in the ass to pose?

I'd love them to do some yokai next, I think these figures have proven that paintings can be translated to figure form and some of those yokai have such fun designs.
>>
File: IMG_20160101_180627.jpg (1 MB, 1305x1970) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160101_180627.jpg
1 MB, 1305x1970
>>5657498
does yours have a crooked jaw like mine?
>>
File: IMG_20160406_032103.jpg (3 MB, 2448x3264) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160406_032103.jpg
3 MB, 2448x3264
I have the rust version of the dragon and kirin (pic related) and they're both amazing figures, but not without issues.

If you're interested in the colored version you'll not care about this, but the rust versions look nothing like their promo pics. They don't look "bad", but...they're just black with some golden parts, not really "rusted".
They still look good enough.

They're revoltech, and honestly, I hate revoltech's joints. If you're not used to them, you probably may end up disliking them.

It's impossible to give the kirin a non standard pose with the provided base, while this is not an issue with the dragon, which comes with a figma-like stand, that supports the figure well enough.

Sculpt wise, they're both amazing, I love Takeya's stuff, and he did an amazing job here.

The kirin is short, and solid, which I think is it's main good point against the dragon.
The articulation in the dragon is not perfect. You won't be able to create nice looking waves in his body most of the times. The tail's segments are too long, and unless you leave it in "that" position, it will look really unnatural. In the neck the segments are too small compared to the joints and again, unless you leave it in "that" set position, he'll look like he has a broken neck.
Another minor issue is that all the segments are not attached to the joints, they "cover" them, and thus, rotate. And so while posing it, you'll end up having some joints with the back hairy part turning on the stomach side, or something like that. Which is fine, you give it its shape and then you can turn the segments without problems...unless you want to give some more extreme pose, which may be a little difficult.

>continues
>>
>>5657547
I also feel that they should have done better its hands. The feet look fine (you know, when you think about this kind of japanese painting you have the 3 fingers spread so that you can see all three of them), but you can't really do that with the hands, they don't spread decently.
Last issue, I've heard many people had a problem with its jaw, with it being bent and goofy looking with its mouth closed (luckily, mine was fine).

Between the two, I would honestly suggest the kirin over the dragon, but they're really an amazing pair, so I'd suggest getting them both.
I know I didn't say pretty things about the dragon, but those are the issues of an otherwise really amazing figure. It still is a very solid figure, which will look incredible in some (not many) poses.
>>
>>5657547
thank you for your perspective on this it was very informative. Your photo makes them both look like antiques.
This is a very tough call your insight has changed alot of my thoughts about this. The golden revoltech skeleton with the two heads is that good? I did try looking for a video review of the dragon but could find nothing.
>>
>>5657891
dont be discouraged, it's still one of the best figures l have, and it's great as a standalone and/or paired with other stuff
not perfec but still very good
>>
>>5657891
about the skeleton l actually got it today, and it's quite extreme.
the thing about it is that they dont advertize how cool it is.
you have a split neck, a split spine, a second hip bone with an "ass" hole, and multiple scapulas.

which means that if you buy many copies (l got two for 4300 yen each) he can have up to 12 arms (four included with one figure), as many legs as you want, making it like a centipede, two heads, two bodies like conjoined twins, amd so on.

also, again, it's takeya, the sculpt is really good, while joints are the small revoltech ones.

l like it so far, but l could play with it just 10 minutes cause l had to go to work, l'll enjoy it more tonight.

ah, l got the rust color again, and l don't regret it, it looks really good.
>>
>>5657177
I love it, but it's kinda difficult to pose. All of the individual body segments rest loosely on a chain of ratcheting joints, so you may have to take the whole thing apart just to make small adjustments. I got it a few weeks after it was released, and I've only posed it maybe 3 times because it can take half an hour or longer to get it just right. That said, you get a lot of articulation, and the paint and sculpting are great. It feels worth the price despite the the issues, but if you want it cheap, you could stalk Mandarake until one pops up.

Also, does anyone have trouble moving the eyes? The right eye on mine is stuck in the direction it was assembled, and I'm afraid of scratching the paint with the posing tool.
>>
>>5657522
Nope.
>>
File: REV1.jpg (459 KB, 800x880) Image search: [Google]
REV1.jpg
459 KB, 800x880
>>5658877
Im not this guy but I posted it in the skelly thread and I guess I might as well illustrated this guys post here. Took this after it was first released for those who ask questions about this figure which is bi-weekly at this point.
>>
>>5657177
>meer chance
>meer
Illiterate fuckwad.
If you're going to use words at least spell them right, dumbass
>>
>>5662720
Anon he meerly made a mistake.
>>
File: 251606.jpg (170 KB, 1108x1477) Image search: [Google]
251606.jpg
170 KB, 1108x1477
>>5662570
I think you shouldnt worry too much about putting a bit more force into moving the eye.
and I agree, this is one figure you really repose rarely because it takes too much time..

anyway, I'm >>5658877 and here is my motherfucker. this is probably the most fun figure I've ever had (owning two) because of all the shit you can do with it. I'm really in love.

also, seeing >>5662588 's picture, I noticed that I'm happy I got the rust version because in the colored one the joints' color don't blend that well with the rest of the figure, while the black ones in the rust version are less noticeable.

if I have to find one single quality issue, would be the jaw. it's stuck in a closed positio, and if you open it, it will click in a full open position. depending on the head it's almost impossible to have a normally open mouth, which is not very nice.
like always, revoltech has very nice concepts and then screws them because of crap quality of their joints, or general quality issues.

the joints, yeah, they seem pretty fragile, but luckily there are a ton included, so even ruining a few shouldn't be a problem.
>>
>>5662800
How many arms can you get onto this guy at once? I really like figures with tons of arms
>>
>>5663079
should be 12, but it may go to an infinite number if you don't mind piling up scapulas lol
l think 12 is the right number to have it look good from behind too.

in my picture, he has 7 joints per side, making it 14 in total (two triple and one single per side)

5 arms and two heads per side (actually, since with two figures you only get 8 arms, l used the spare legs as arms, and it doesn't look bad lol)
>>
>>5663124
Did they come with enough holding hands to do that naturally? I wanna set mine up like your's, with all the extra weapons I have.
>>
>>5664057
they have
2 holding hands
2 holding hands that are not as closed ss the other ones
2 open hands

l had to modify the open ones, in the same way you fix bent parts: warm the piece in how water or with a drier, reposition the fingers in a fist position, hold it under cold water, and you have your extra holding hands
>>
>>5664488
Oh, alright. One last question, do any decent bootlegs of these exist? I'll obviously get a legitimate main figure, but as far as the limbs go, I feel like a bootleg would be fine if all I'm doing is stealing arms and hands from it.
>>
>>5664495
l really hate the bootleg world, so l'm totally unaware wether there are bootlegs of this or not..
>>
>>5657177
Anyone know anything about the extra long one that was at WonFest this year? It's like 3 times as long as the normal one, but I can't seem to find any info on it. Is it already out or was it just shown off?
>>
>>5665111
I found one on Mandy but it's expensive as fuck. I'm still tempted to buy it to use as an apartment decoration but I hate posing the shorter one.
>>
>>5665111
>>5665362
it's only 1.5 times longer, not three.
and it's just that, additional segments.
for that price you could just buy two or three normal ones and make your long version combining them.
>>
>>5665392
MFC has him listed at 21.5 inches.
>>
>>5666935
the official japanese advertisement clearly said 1.5倍 , the pic l saw looked like around that size, but l've never touched it so idk
>>
>>5662800
What figures are the katanas from?
>>
>>5667361
they're this thing called katana masterworks, which l consider one of the worst pile of shit l've ever bought

the paintjob is not good, but the worst thing is that they most likely come bent, which is ridiculous considering that's all they should do, being straight.

also, the overall plastic quality is not good either, there are nubs and cut marks everywhere
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.