[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why don't female action figure sell?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /toy/ - Toys

Thread replies: 192
Thread images: 37
File: PDVD_178.jpg (41 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
PDVD_178.jpg
41 KB, 1024x768
I'm not the tumblr type who scream wanting representation for equality sake. I know that freemarket dictates what toy companies make and girls don't buy as much action figures and articulated toys as boys, that's why there's less female action figure. But why don't little boys buy female action figure? Why the icky factor?

Also why does it translates to adult collector figure as well? Like for example the Star Wars figuarts series sorely misses on high quality Leia.
>>
The Star Wars Figuarts line is made solely with the interest of Japanese collectors in mind since they can't be sold in the US and they'd much rather have villains and Jedi over characters who did fuck all like Leia.
>>
>>5656255
They're still working out the kinks with their digital photo stamping process. Humans are a bit more forgiving when it comes to fudging the details on a male figure. They're just trying to make Leia perfect is all. Shame about the Figuarts down syndrome Black Widow though!
>>
>figma
>>
>>5656259
A Figuarts Leia is inevitable. The line is still pretty damn young, you know.

And there are a shit load of female figures in the Japanese figure industry. Hell, waifushit is more likely to get a figure if anything (though Orange Rogue, which focuses on the female fanbase and fujoshis, is changing that somewhat).
>>
>>5656264
Well let me rephrase then. Non-anime figures, especially movie tie ins or kids toys with gimmick you see at Target.

Even for boys, what's up with the icky factor? I personally never had that before.
>>
>Why don't female action figure sell?
>proceeds to list all the reasons why
>but why?
kek
>>
>>5656255
>But why don't little boys buy female action figure?
Same reason why little girls don't buy male dolls: Not only is the source material more often than not directed towards another demographic, it's easier to project yourself onto the figure and have adventures when they're the same gender as you.
Boys don't want male dolls because their gimmick is to change clothes, nothing action-y and exciting. Girls don't want female action figures because they can't play dress-up.
That's basically it. Of course that there are exceptions, but you have to look at the broader aspect of it to make business decisions.
>>
>>5656269
>non-anime
>target
>icky factor
outta here, peon
>>
>>5656273
Why don't action figure target demographics, e.g. little boys and manchildren buy female action figure? Anime waifus doesn't count
>>
>>5656269
Either the boy still thinks girls = cooties, or they simply can't 'connect' to female characters unlike male characters.
And it's not just boys either. Girls tend to buy female characters a lot more than male characters, too. It's also why gendered shows (shows marketed to either boys or girls specifically) share the same sex as targeted demographic.
>>
>>5656279
>>5656275
I guess, but you still do need them for props. Say you're pretending to play Luke's intergalactic adventure, you still gonna need Leia, Han and R2 at least. Why is it that Leia keeps getting shafted while R2 is not?
>>
>>5656283
But there are Leia figures.
Not as many as the other male characters, but they do exist. Rarely do companies completely exclude female characters, they just don't bother producing a lot of merch or they short-pack it.
>>
File: sex chart1.jpg (82 KB, 750x1371) Image search: [Google]
sex chart1.jpg
82 KB, 750x1371
>>5656278
>>5656278
> little boys and manchildren buy female action figure
Because toys are mostly used for roleplaying and very few males want to be girls.
Also, sex plays an important role in what we're interested in.

also also this >>5656279

Want to change this? Force little kids to act different, through brainwashing and conditioning.
>>
>>5656289
>Want to change this?
OP here, no. I just want Leia Figuarts. Also probably Pepper Potts Figuarts if Tony Stark got released so that she can be kidnapped by Thanos
>>
>>5656283
Maybe I was a poor child, but whenever buying a new toy, I'd often get something I really wanted, not something that I'd only use as a 'prop.'
>>
>>5656299
>thinking a Figuarts Leia wouldn't happen despite the fact that the line is only a fucking year old.
>>
>>5656283
Because Artoo is the hero of the story. Leia isn't.
>>
File: tackle.jpg (69 KB, 640x428) Image search: [Google]
tackle.jpg
69 KB, 640x428
>>5656299
>>5656299
>wanting figuarts of real life people
>implying Japanese want 3dpd
Just stick on a random generic animoo girl head on top of a slave leia and be done with
>>
>>5656353
>implying Japanese want 3dpd
Yeah, that's why Bandai stopped bothering with Figuarts Star Wars, because the Japanese don't want that shit. Likewise with Bruce Lee and how he shelf-warmed, and the Marve--

oh wait.
>>
>>5656356
Empires white suit >New Hope Award dress > ROTJ bikini > ROTJ jungle > New Hope double bun

Am I missing anything?
>>
"Okay, son. You can get one toy this month. You can get flame-thrower stormtrooper, or you can get Leia in Bespin outfit."

A little kid does not have the expendable cash to buy every single action figure in a series.
>>
>>5656383
>tfw you can't buy all the Hot Pocketta Toys
>>
File: beetleslut.jpg (308 KB, 961x745) Image search: [Google]
beetleslut.jpg
308 KB, 961x745
>>5656255
I have tons of cool female characters but I passed on super-ho!!
>>
>>5656383
Choosing between a no name character with 2 minutes screentime vs. the 2nd protagonist of the movie

I'd take Bespin Leia all day
>>
Half of my figures are female. Female figures sell all the time. The problem is that the only one who makes good ones is Japan! Western toy makers can't figure out how to make a decent fucking figure outside of very few exceptions.
>>
>>5656399
TR-8R would like a word with you.

And we know what that word is.
>>
most female characters are unbelievable and boring.
the handful that are interesting, to me at least, dont usually get figures.
>>
Do young boys even buy action figures these days...?
>>
>>5656684
No. Those days are long gone. It's WEiRD
>>
File: ChewieCaptive_ST.jpg (502 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
ChewieCaptive_ST.jpg
502 KB, 1024x768
>>5656365
>>
>>5656356
>all males, with drawn on faces
Only girls can be 3dpd

>>5656684
Of course they do.
Companies like Mattel and Hasbro produce hundreds of thousands to millions of the same character every single year.
You really think there are that many neckbearded manchildren in the US? You can't even find that many at the biggest comic conventions.
>>
>>5656259
>characters who did fuck all like Leia
Leia didn't get a lot of samurai flipping action scenes, but the entire plot wouldn't have happened if it wasn't for her. She hijacked her own rescue mission and then saved Han from Jabba. She's done much much more than meme ""nerd"" character like Bobba the Jobber Fett
>>
File: 5222440108490.jpg (23 KB, 500x327) Image search: [Google]
5222440108490.jpg
23 KB, 500x327
>>5656255
Social penetration theory and youthful projection

In short: Billy is a boy. Billy has no hormonal urge to want girls, Billy only relates to boy models and concepts. Ergo Billy wants Spider-man not Spider-woman, because he likes to think he could be Spider-man or at least be his friend.
Flip applies to girls too.

>Also why does it translates to adult collector figure as well?
Well it's a loaded market. Most guys that want female figures don't have many (if any) real females in their life so it kind becomes a Pygmalion meets polygamy kinda thing which is not a tall order. These type of collectors tend to also go off the deep end and want highly sexual toys (example:figuart/rev. queen's blade figures) . Also keep in mind this market is a smaller portion of an already small market (adult toy collectors) so we are hitting numbers that normally doesn't justifies a female toy getting made anyway.

>Like for example the Star Wars figuarts series sorely misses on high quality Leia.
Japan is really huge on Jedi and villains and not much else. Leia never chop up anyone in the films with a light saber so while Im sure she will get one it's gonna be awhile.
>>
It's hard to sell something that barely exists.
>>
>>5656255
we've been getting two females for every four males in most Marvel/DC toy lines. that's a good number imo
>>
>>5656764
The one that exists doesn't sell, that's the problem. It's a hard fact that female action figures like Wonder woman sell less than Superman/Batman counterpart. Even with female protagonist like Rey, she still shelfwarms hard. If you're a toy company why would you make stuff that doesn't sell to begin with?
>>
>>5656278
That's what guys want. Their waifu in figure form.
>>
>>5656255

Female figures do sell well. Look at Japan.

It's the market you're trying to sell them to. Men want waifus, titties, and ass. Kids don't care. Make some high quality waifu bait and that shit will sell gangbusters.
>>
>>5656255
The problem is that western companies put in zero effort in female figures and they're all shit. Compare that to Japan were we can't get a decent male action figure aside from SAS.
>>
>>5656704
What's the name of the 'anime' that he's holding?
>>
File: bespin leias.jpg (49 KB, 541x394) Image search: [Google]
bespin leias.jpg
49 KB, 541x394
>>5656399
Which one?
>>
>>5656867
boku no pico
>>
>>5656283
because if your parents are only going to let you get 1 action figure at a time, you're not going to waste it getting Leia at any other time other than very last.

Not to mention if you just pretend Leia didn't exist, the quality of the playing doesn't change.
>>
If female action figures sold poorly I would have been able to find a spider-gwen by now
>>
>>5656769
yea, you're full of shit, the BvS Wonder Woman is pretty difficult to find and the Resistance Rey figure is going for about $25 on amazon because its impossible to find
>>
>>5656956
>what are scalpers
out of the millions of figures being made, it's pretty much only a tiny vocal minority who can't find the female figures they want.
Without a doubt, most of us who can't find ANY figures that are popular or shortpacked, live in a populated area. Lots of people on /toy/ have gloated over the fact they can find hard to find figures because they live in bumfuck nowhere and these gloating assholes have offered to middle man them in the past before.

You pretty much have no shortage with real collector figures. Ever. Everyone who wants one can preorder them and find them for months afterward, if not years.

Want the best movie Wonder Woman? Get DCC's. Why give Mattel money for their mediocre shit? Don't support their crap.
>>
>>5656255
Because action figures are targeted primarily at boys and children tend to want action figures they can more strongly relate with.

tl;dr:
Boys buy most action figures
Boys like action figures they can relate to
>>
Are the DC Super Hero girls selling well? I want to get the action figures, but their expressions are too happily dolly
>>
File: GI Joe.jpg (193 KB, 633x900) Image search: [Google]
GI Joe.jpg
193 KB, 633x900
My parents wouldn't buy me Princess Leia or Scarlett because they thought it would make me gay or something. My sister got those ones so we could play together but she never did so I just appropriated them.

If you look at what's shelfwarming now I think some of it is due to over saturation. Like Hasbro was doing one girl per case or every other but there was outrage/public facebook shaming that there were no girl heroes. So they bump it up to two per case but the outragers don't want them.
>>
>>5657060
First time I saw them the Harley's had all been sold already.
Second time the display was practically empty.
>>
>>5656736
Hey I agree with you but don't shit on Boba Fett man. He at least looks cool
>>
>>5656255
Idk man go look for a Rey anywhere. You never find her. Or Ahsoka for that matter.
>>
>>5656895
Left of course, best look for Leia
>>
>>5656761
Pretty much this
But I add self esteem can play a part.
Of the friends I have that are into collecting female toys and/or create female characters in games have a lot of issues being alone and without others.
>>
>>5657269
They are kept at a low print count
Go look at marvel legends
Most females are what's left over when over stock occurs
The once popular and illustrious Spider-Gwen legend figureis now warming pegs while Venom is still hard to find and worse.
Hell
I have always waited on ML figures because they hit the bargain bin.
I got Wasp for 10.00 she's going cheaper than literal who's like tigger shark and grim reaper
The reason it's going so well for Star Wars Black is because they relases new waves every other month and the women usually only stay for one to show up In a revision case later

And then ones like Phasma look "male" anyway so it's just a silver trooper to a kids eyes
>>
File: too many waifus.jpg (1 MB, 2592x1944) Image search: [Google]
too many waifus.jpg
1 MB, 2592x1944
>>5656278

Because female figures usually have horrendous faces. I literally only have 4 western females. most of my other girls are weeb figures. There's just no well articulated, well sculpted female figures. You want females, stick to statueshit, best you'll get.

I'd kill a man for good quality Death & Delirium
>>
File: 20160224_193236.jpg (2 MB, 3264x1836) Image search: [Google]
20160224_193236.jpg
2 MB, 3264x1836
>>5657512

Wasp was packed 2x a case dummy. That's why she's clearing lower than the z tier villains. That and her down syndrome face.

Seriously, who would buy a female figure if they end up like this
>>
File: jim lee woman.jpg (231 KB, 655x1338) Image search: [Google]
jim lee woman.jpg
231 KB, 655x1338
>>5657647

Nice to see DC doing transsexual version of Wonder Woman
>>
>>5656923
Yeah, I can see how it mainly goes for most kids. You get to go to the store every once in awhile with your parents giving you maybe 7-10 dollars to blow on a figure if you're lucky. You're not going to blow it on a Leia or April o Neil when you can get deep space leonardo or pizza throwing Mikey.

Kids just have a small collection of their favorite characters from different cartoons and movies while I'm sure most of /toy/ can go out and buy a full set of TMNT villains and side characters in one shot so the female figures mainly get bought up by collectors
>>
>>5656273
OP listed why they aren't made and then asked why boys don't buy them when they are made. Your reading comprehension is dogshit at best.
>>
File: maxresdefault (1).jpg (702 KB, 3000x1995) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault (1).jpg
702 KB, 3000x1995
Plenty of girl figure ONLY lines bought by men in droves in Japan

Of course those would make tumblr scream for other reasons.
>>
Because the parents who buy the action figures are the kind of people who think a boy playing with a girl toy will turn him gay and that girls are only allowed to have pretty pink princess bullshit.
>>
tl;dr The entire thread boils down to Japan making good female figures because they make what people want.

The US doesn't.
>>
File: image.jpg (19 KB, 168x168) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
19 KB, 168x168
>>5656703
Â¥50,000 Web Exclusive, no less.
>>
>>5657838

You just can't please some people.
>>
>>5657848
Different markets.
>>
I am collecting Lego minifigures and females don't translate well into this form due to the blocky body shape. However, Lego does wonders with their female hair molds. Recently it feels like Lego has been cutting down on the cleavage printing for females which is very disappointing.

I can't say much for other toys as the only toys I'm into currently are Lego.
>>
>>5656923
>>5657796
When I was a kid I specifically sought out figures like April O'Neil, Catwoman, Leia, Rogue, female Power Rangers, etc. But then, I did turn out to be a tranny.
>>
>>5656255
Don't tell that to the Figma line.
>>
File: 02011756930.jpg (1 MB, 2687x4267) Image search: [Google]
02011756930.jpg
1 MB, 2687x4267
>>5657929

Or the whole of Japan. Even their model kits are girls now.
>>
>>5657896

Not so different, given the US market for those Japanese import of all those waifu figures seems pretty brisk and thriving.
>>
>>5657917
I was a huge tomboy as a child (to the point where people couldn't tell my sex without asking) and I sought out figures of the opposite sex exclusively as well.

Still do, but for different reasons instead.
>>
>>5657951
I always considered kids to be unisex until they hit puberty. At least that is what I want to tell myself when seeing parents trying to dress their kids in certain styles.
>>
>>5657949
Eh, depends on your POV. Preorders do OK. After that, it's "value oriented" all the way until scarcity kicks in. Unsellable is unsellable.
>>
>>5657647
>Wasp was packed 2x a case dummy.
So why is Ant man that had the same distribution still going around retail or higher?
Also what about the AoU wave that built Thanos where Spider-woman and Hellcat were 1 to every 2 of the rest of that wave?
>Seriously, who would buy a female figure if they end up like this
They do it with guy figures all the time
This is just reinforcing that one anon that was saying that anons buy female figures because it's the closet they will get to a pretty woman.
>>
>>5657838
A lot of smut shit gets under the radar even when tumbler shits brick over it.
If it turns a good profit they will release it no issue.
Hell they only listen to tumbler if there is money to be had.

>>5658031
>>5657951

I just seem them as girl or boy because that's their biology and stop caring after that.
I couldn't give a shit that you want to be the other gender or cross dress or whatever.
>>
>>5658116
Ant Man had his own movie. Wasp, and not even that Wasp, had 2 30-second cameos.
>>
File: wut.jpg (214 KB, 956x883) Image search: [Google]
wut.jpg
214 KB, 956x883
>>5656255
>>
>>5658214

JUST
>>
>>5658214
the figure actually looks better than the actress
>>
>>5658214
I want the the mini-phasma but I can only find her tied to oldman Han and oldwoman leia at scalper prices.
>>
>>5656289
>http://io9.gizmodo.com/paul-dini-superhero-cartoon-execs-dont-want-largely-f-1483758317

Execs actually don't want to pander to a female audience and I think general understanding of the sexes as indicated by that chart agrees with the sentiment. There are female collectors out there, but it is by far a minority, NOT because of cultural oppression, but because WOMEN's CHOICES. There's tons of research out there to back it up.
>>
As a kid I wouldn't be caught dead with a female action figure. Those were dolls and boys don't play with dolls. I guess I carried that over to my adult collector self too, I think the only female action figures I have is a bunch of Danger Girl figures.
>>
File: korra.gif (637 KB, 500x400) Image search: [Google]
korra.gif
637 KB, 500x400
>>5658974
>I think the only female action figures I have is a bunch of Danger Girl figures
What a faggot.
I bet you fapped over them too!

DCC Designer Series J Scott Campbell Fairchild figure when?

>>5658955
Thanks for supporting my point.
If girls actually bought action figures in more than paltry numbers, I'm not sure if I'd like that. Imagine if Young Justice was pandering to what girls liked seeing? Less violence, less keikaku, more shipping.
I think the only positive from that would have been Korra action figures... hopefully not from Mattel.
>>
>>5658209
So again why is tiger shark and reaper selling better?
Why are they worth more?
Why with waves where girls were rare that they still end up cheap?

That was my core point
Girl figures are only rare if the company makes them that way. If you made female figures same ratio as everyone else we have a glut issue
>>
>>5656255
Better question is why want them at all?
>>
>>5659159
1. Moving goalposts.
2. Tiger and reaper shelfwarming too.
3. Why didn't shelves clog with 90s Jean Grey or Phoenix?

Truth is, distribution is too screwed up to blame everything on female figures.
>>
>>5659171
Have set of spidey figures, literally dozens of spiderman versions, dozens of villains etc

No Aunt May or Mary Jane
>>
probably because girls are fags and suck dick
>>
>>5659159

They're worth more because there are LITERALLY twice as many Wasps out there in the wild. If you have them all pegwarming and you have MORE of one particular figure, female or not, you drop the price.

Stop being inane. Movie Gamora sold far better than whatever shitty space Ironman in the gotg wave. And Drax.

>>5659524
No JJJ or Flash either. In fact, we have ZERO characters from Peter's private life, so that's as fair as anything goes.

Meanwhile, we got White Tiger who is Spidey's pal from the ultimate cartoon, but no Power Man. So score one for the ladies over the niggers.
>>
>>5659532
fuck off
>>
>>5656255
>But why don't little boys buy female action figure? Why the icky factor?

The general reason is because either they or their peers think that 1) girls are gross or 2) only gays play with girl toys.

>Also why does it translates to adult collector figure as well?

Either 1) hatred toward women or 2) desperately trying to avoid looking like a waifushitter.
>>
>>5659541
There also twice as many AoU Iorn man, cap and Hulk to hellcat spider woman, black cat, and many others yet all those less produced women go for much much less
>>
>>5659197
1. I didn't it got moved and I brought I back
2. No shit that's my point literal who's sell better than main team females.
3. I can get 90s jean grey somewhat reasonable compared to most of that wave. Not sure about phoniex.

>Truth is, distribution is too screwed up to blame everything on female figures.
I disagree
We see trends in it in everything
If they are distributed as much as the others they are the last standing and cheaper ones. Great example is Spider Gwen who was a big seller at first but now has drop to below 30 and even lower. Meanwhile Venom looks to pull a Carnage and is going to be climbing up and staying in the 50s

Your absolutely right that distribution effects what's left over but female figures in what is seen as majority boy lines don't go great.
>>
>>5658955
Fun tidbit Steven Universe support came from the massive flood of hate mail WB/CN got from angry mothers, and women that read this artical. CN got panicky and pick the SU pilot over the others.
However in bitter Irony the wacky goofy humor of TTG got the massive boy audience they wanted and then some.
>>
>>5656255
Do you have any idea the kind of mentality is needed for a guy to be obsessed with collecting female figures of any type? It's rare as fuck. That doesn't open good doors to making figures.
>but Japan dose it
Japan isn't at the mercy of distributors the same way western markets are and they have five times the amount of people have the mind set I just painted.
>>
>>5659991
>Japan isn't at the mercy of distributors the same way western markets are
Yes they are, you're just focusing on the collector's markets than children's markets.

For example, they won't produce as many figures of the female Ranger(s) in Sentai as they would with the males.
>>
>>5659532
This is the best response thank you anon
>>
>>5659524
>>5659541
I always wanted the side characters. How are you supposed to save Mary Jane if there's no figure? How are you supposed to have banter between Spidey and J. Jonah Jameson if there's no figure for him? Not all the action is purely in the fights.

I just generally wanted the full cast of characters. I didn't care if they were male or female. I never self-inserted as the characters, I was playing out their stories that I was creating. I think that difference- whether you played as if you were that character or if you were the overall narrator telling everyone's story- determines the demand for it. The real question is do children naturally prefer one style over the other or are they pressured towards self-insertion more by their parents like this guy
>>5657199
was?
>>
>>5660683
Children like to recreate action scenes and smash toys together. Spiderman vs. GreenGoblin RAWR go nuts.

Recreating the scene of Aunt May getting sick in the hospital is boring. You can smash Spidey against Greengoblin all afternoon after school, you can have the fight on the stairs, on your bedroom, living room, go nuts. Maybe this time around Green Goblin got a new weapon, a shiny silver trident e.g. the fork you steal from the kitchen, GASP!. There's only so many times you can replay the Aunt May giving Pete a word of wisdom scene, or Mary Jane nagging Spidey being an attention whore. Also such things require semi decent scriptwriting, which doesn't exist when you're playing action figure together.

Have any of you ever play, as in play properly with action figures and don't know how to end the fight scene in your brain? Playing with action figure =/ good scriptwriting. Same deal here, non combat character are just background props for shelf display, they don't add much when you actually play with them
>>
>>5660696
>Mary Jane nagging Spidey being an attention whore.
This is what girl play time is like.
Girls don't tire of this and it prepares them for adulthood.
>>
File: 17.jpg (73 KB, 604x376) Image search: [Google]
17.jpg
73 KB, 604x376
>>5660696
I dunno man, I had good "scriptwriting" in my play. I guess it depends on how detailed you wanted things to be. 90% of it was the fights and all, but there was always backstory for why it was happening. The show probably influenced me a lot because that's how it was.
>>
>>5660739
That amazing image makes me feel all nostalgic, despite the fact i hated the shit out of the cartoon.
When it was first shown off and promoted, it made me think of all the great things that would happen with animation. So many storylines i hoped they'd do and spectacular fights.

How the fuck they ended up with the crap they did, i'll never understand. XMen and Batman:TAS pulled off shit that were banned from doing in Spiderman.
The stories were even more half-assed than the worst adaptations on XMen.

I don't think I've ever liked any Spider-Man cartoon.
>>
>>5659952

Those guys, like Ant-man, had giant blockbuster movie appearances.

Damn son you're not too bright are ya.
>>
>>5659962
SpiderGwen cooled off because there's a solid case coming. What poorfags apparently don't know is that solid cases ship to speciality retailers who aren't going to mark them down to $15. ML has some of the poorest fans this side of Transformers.
>>
>>5660683
>I just generally wanted the full cast of characters. I didn't care if they were male or female. I never self-inserted as the characters, I was playing out their stories that I was creating.

Me too bro, but I think we are the minority...
>>
File: leia_by_j_scott_campbell.jpg (213 KB, 789x1214) Image search: [Google]
leia_by_j_scott_campbell.jpg
213 KB, 789x1214
>>5656895

You have to ask?

Really?
>>
File: ap_39394149342-e1461538457997.jpg (183 KB, 1600x908) Image search: [Google]
ap_39394149342-e1461538457997.jpg
183 KB, 1600x908
But that's false. Female figures are selling quite well, actually.
http://qz.com/665094/mattel-finally-rolled-out-a-line-of-super-hero-toys-for-girls-and-the-early-results-are-in/
>DC Super Hero Girls, a new line of toys from Mattel featuring DC Comics’ female super heroes recast as high school students, had a strong debut, the company reported on its quarterly earnings call April 20. While the toys just began sales in March, and only at Target, Mattel’s president, Richard Dickson, was optimistic enough about their potential to flag it to investors. The line goes on sale more widely in June.
>>
>>5661948
OP is talking more about lines targeted towards boys, and why boys don't buy female figures.
>>
>>5661948
Those are dolls nigga
>>
Because SJW underestimate the market.

Toybiz and Hasbro both learned with Marvel Legends (and iterations before that). The market DEMAND hasnt caught up to SJW expectations yet.
>>
>>5662027

I'm with the SJWs for once. I want more cute girl action figures.
>>
>>5662027
too bad SJWs have already proven that they won't buy things tailor-made to them. Every single bit of media or merch aimed their way bombs.
>>
From the adult collector side I tend to skip over female figures because more often than not they have terrible faces.

90% of female action figures end up with emotionless blow up doll faces and less articulation. I swear it's like sculptors are so focused on making a perfect pretty face they forget to give it any life.
>>
>>5662043
SJWs don't want cute girl action figures, they want ugly action figures
>>
>>5662128
this. Only Female figure I have consciously bought was G.I. Joe Bombstrike, and that's because I thought at the time she looked pretty.
>>
I would fucking kill to see more of the wwe Mattel womens figures.

Fucking hell, it's like the minute they hit the shelves , they're gone.
>>
>>5656255
>why don't little boys buy female action figures?
Last time I checked, kids are broke as fuck and it's the parents that bought the toys. More often than not I'd chock that up to insecure parents thinking their kids are gonna go faggot because they're playing with something deemed "girly."

Like, honestly, how often do you see or hear about kids wanting something totally innocent and their parents flip the fuck out because it goes against their narrow viewpoints.

>why does that translate to adult collectors
Honestly, presentation. When it comes to women, I feel like most people want a picture-esque image of the female form, which you usually only get from statues.

The problem with female action figures is that a lot of times the designs are executed poorly because you get provocative costumes where the sculpt is broken up by ugly, intrusive and mostly superfluous joints and very little attention is given to paint details so the figures end up looking cheap plastic shit.
>>
>>5662130

Just when I thought I'd found some common ground with them, you had to spoil it.
>>
File: 008.jpg (2 MB, 2448x3264) Image search: [Google]
008.jpg
2 MB, 2448x3264
>>5662130
Well now they have their chance...lets see if they put their money where their mouth is
>>
OP is a Mettelfuck working on the Ghostbusters reboot toyline.

Mattel is assblasted that no one is buying the figures so they're cheaping out and doing their dirty work of market research on 4chan.
>>
>>5662280
Don't be dumb
>>
>>5656255

One of my favorite toys as a kid was TMNT's Mona Lisa. I also had Barbie kitchen and furnature sets, because when they're not fighting crime and the Foot, heroes need to fucking chill, too.

I think it's more of the parents' control of what toys kids get that affect what they play with more than their choice. i guess I'm lucky that I didn't have parents that were stuck in that dichotomy-based reasoning.
>>
>>5656365
bespin gown, but who cares.
>>
>>5662287
Don't be dumb
>>
>>5662128

Even with great sculpts, they still end up with shit faces because murrika wants cheapshit shat out from asian factories that don't get paid enough to give a fuck. Assblasted paint going everywhere and derp eyes are now a signature of every retail action figure line.

Look at how gorgeous some repaint attempts on the Rey figure are.
>>
>>5663519
>doesn't actually live in america
>doesn't know that there are many figures with paint apps that are exact
... I don't think this was true for the TMNT by Playmates though. Every single Donatello i saw had derpy as shit eyes.
>>
>>5662238
this feminist toy... how someone can't see no one will buy it? is like having a business and wanting to lose money
>>
>>5662192
>Like, honestly, how often do you see or hear about kids wanting something totally innocent and their parents flip the fuck out because it goes against their narrow viewpoints.

hardly at all. I've been working in Target's toy section for almost 7 years now and this is the most common situation there:
>"I want this one"
>"Billy you already have a Spider-man wouldn't you rather have something else?"
>"I want Spider-man"
>"But you already have one. Here what about this guy? Agent Venom, sounds lik- "
>"I want Spider-man!"

I have however heard/seen oh so open minded parents practically shove a opposites gender character down their kids throat lecturing a 5 year old they should be "more open minded"

Most boys gravitate to certain things same with girls.
Yes parents have control over the buying of toys but that kid will always have his heart set on something regardless of a parents demeanor.
>>
File: 1462998848987.jpg (12 KB, 124x157) Image search: [Google]
1462998848987.jpg
12 KB, 124x157
>>5656283
I know I'm late to the party how fucking spoiled were you?
poor and good parents are not going to enable your toy habits to the point to where you have 'prop' characters. You get what you really want because that might be all you get for a good while, never mind a kids focus can be a nightmare and he might switch what is his most favorite show or whatnot.
It's not only why girl action figures are rare but why villains are made in much lower number, because most kids if they have to choose between a power ranger and the guy they beat up, they are asking for the power ranger.
>>
File: Sweatin.gif (2 MB, 1920x1076) Image search: [Google]
Sweatin.gif
2 MB, 1920x1076
>>5661141
>ML has some of the poorest fans this side of Transformers
>poor
>Transformers fans
>can't even get a decent one for sub-$90
>just looking at a 3P 'bot usually begins at $140+ for anything decent
>>
File: YouFuckedUp.gif (2 MB, 480x270) Image search: [Google]
YouFuckedUp.gif
2 MB, 480x270
>>5662238
>most hated movie of all time and it isn't even out yet

Yeah, that'll fly right off the shelves...Into the trash bin 5 years later after gathering dust in the clearance section of dollar stores.
>>
>>5661141
You mean the one with two Venoms?
The very same Venom that keeps fluxing between $30 and $60?

Gwen is still a single in a case. She cooled off because all the die hard fans bought her and now the rest of the market is shifting to the guy figures namely Venom.
So far every female figure to the relaunch Spider-man waves has gone under their original MSRP. Gwen will be no different.
>>
>>5661141
>ML has some of the poorest fans this side of Transformers.

>TF fans constantly buy Takara molds that cost more than the Hasbro ones
>literal who figures skyrocket in price when a wave becomes out of print
>an entire third part market that averages costs of $150+ a 6 inch transformable figure is sustained by these fans
>poor

Whatever argument you had, you just botch it.
>>
>>5664836
>most hated movie of all time

Jem made 2 mil and Postal made 100K. I wager GB will make far more than that.
>>
File: furriesbeatbatman.png (40 KB, 1700x493) Image search: [Google]
furriesbeatbatman.png
40 KB, 1700x493
>>5665004
people thought Batman vs Superman would make the billion mark easy by week 3.
It's week 7 and it's been cycled out of most theaters we see that Zootopia is closer to reaching a billion and Cap 3 in just one week has made what BvS made in 6.
If you claim such even a few weeks before BvS launch you be seen as crazy, hell I predicted Zootopia would preform better and was rightly seen as crazy because the movie is the first big screen assembly of Bat-man Superman and Wonder Woman and that still wasn't enough to reach the billion mark.
Also remember budget plays a huge part too
Jem cost 5 million to make but only grossed 2 million is pretty horrid.
Postal cost 15 million so that 100k
2016 Ghostbusters budget is $154 million, a film need to make at least three times it's budget to be seen as profitable. I seriously doubt it will reach sales of 400 million going against Star Trek and Bourne in the same month. I'm predicting it's going to make a flop profit of under 10 million. Before I say 25/50 million but after BvS I'm wondering if audiences are wising up more.
>>
>>5665527
>2016 Ghostbusters budget is $154 million

why do I get the feeling this film was set up to fail?

And why do I further get the feeling the failure is NOT so some SJWs can blame "the patriarchy" but rather so Hollywood can somehow blame it solely on piracy? Because the whole push for TPP and similar has been groups like Hollywood trying to blame all their losses on piracy. They won't admit they make bad movies.

Postal bombed mainly because theaters didn't want it for the insensitive 9/11 joke that opened the movie, but even so it was a tie-in movie to a terrible video game that was universally panned.

Jem failed because the original cartoon was stupid to begin with and no one buy the director wanted a movie. Even Hasbro refused to make merch to go along with it- which if they had, they'd have pumped millions into toys that would still be shelf-warming. If they'd made toys for that film they'd be in financial trouble right now.
>>
>>5665604
most the issues in Hollywood is nepotism is starting to bite them in the ass.
Most people there got their job because they buddy buddy with those that had influence and got a foot in the door. A huge reason this issue exists is because most of Hollywood has no clue how trends change and what makes a blockbuster. The only film company that actually took risks to craft was Disney and any company that took risks and succeeded they bought up early both to reduce competition and strengthen their tactics.
The people wonder why Disney doesn't go out and claim WB and Sony don't understand that even if monopoly laws weren't there to stop them they have no interest in buying out whole studios where there creative team as made because "I know a guy"
>>
>>5656255
Because they're usually terrible. For some reason, the female figures always wind up with the worst face sculpts and articulation. Male figures get down joined elbows and knees, waste joints, ankle rockers, etc and they pretty much always gimp the female figures of the same line down to half the number of joints. This is pretty inexcusable considering those kinds of joints are more than feasible even on thinner female proportioned limbs. Worse yet is that because they gimp the articulation so badly, the figures can't stand properly in any position that isn't a stock standing pose. I'd love to have more female characters in my collection because there are plenty of characters I'd want but when the figures look terrible and can't be posed for shit, I don't want to spend money on them.

They say the reason they don't make toys of female characters too often is because nobody wants them and they don't sell. I'd hate to sound like some conspiracy theory SJW here but it almost seems like they're manufacturing lower sales on female figures on purpose. It's like they don't want to make them in the first place so they make them shitty on purpose to discourage people from buying them so they can use those low sales as an excuse.
>>
File: index.jpg (13 KB, 318x159) Image search: [Google]
index.jpg
13 KB, 318x159
>>5665639
You seem out of the loop. DC just launch an all girl action figure set with the Dolls of their new market: DC Super Hero Girls. The dolls are selling great while the action figures are clogging shelves. And the action figures have a very good amount of paint apps and articulation.

This also isn't the first time this was attempted. The toy market (Hasbro in particular) really wants to get that girls market that isn't just dolls and get a winder market for more sales but it's either the parents or (in all reality) the children that have no strong interest in certain markets.
>>
>>5661754
I had Scarlett among the joes, Zarana among the dreadnauts. never had the wolverine w cover girl but wanted it. i thought it was a cool vehicle and neat character concept. never had baroness back then either, but now realize she was the best realized as far as actually having some sexiness to the sculpt. Eh, I always thought the girl figures were cool and a nice addition to the larger collection. As long as I can remember I always liked IRL girls too haha, and have always enjoyed their company as well.
>>
>>5661019
Watch Spectacular Spider-man then, it is the best Spidey cartoon.
>>
File: 200909282252259c2.jpg (50 KB, 480x640) Image search: [Google]
200909282252259c2.jpg
50 KB, 480x640
>>5660007
>For example, they won't produce as many figures of the female Ranger(s) in Sentai as they would with the males.

They stopped doing male figuarts as well. Sentai merch seems to focus on the mechs
>>
>>5664825
>>5664894
A relative handful of people buying 3rd party (that sit through sale after sale if you pay attention) does not negate the massive crying over $15 deluxes.
>>
>>5664886
Gwen, Venom, and the rest of that wave (excluding Spiderman) have solid cases solicited.
>>
>>5669512
Figuarts isn't targeted for children, Anon...
>>
>>5669564
My point was more to the anon that's trying to make excuses to Gwens drop in sales.
Your point reinforces what I'm getting at.
Most boys/men don't want care about girl figures
>>
A well sculpted female figure of a popular character will sell just as well as anything. Unfortunately more often than not they end up looking like shit or being characters no one cares about.
>>
>>5669707
DC icons would disagree
>>
>>5656399
You'd choose her, yes. That doesn't mean you speak for the majority of the target demographic though.
Your point seems to be "Who cares about facts abd trends? I like different stuff!".
>>
>>5669561

People don't cry over $15 deluxes. They cry over $15 deluxes that are being sold at TRU for $20+ fucking dollars, because TRU is a bunch of overpriced fucks.
>>
>>5669745

Name a DC character the average person or kid would know that isn't Wonder Woman, Harley, Ivy, or Catwoman.

Now factor in villains always sell worse than heroes, AND no one has given a fuck about WW in 40+ years, as she is usually seen as "female superman with a lasso".
>>
>>5665604
Sony president Amy Pascal made the new GB her pet vanity project & I think it will cost her career.

Of course she'll still get millions in severance.
>>
>>5665604

I don't think anyone wanted it to succeed in the first place. It's a complete shitshow from start to finish. It's a highlight of how change for the sake of change is a terrible thing.
>>
because female action figures are dolls. And dolls are for girls and faggots.
>>
File: cobra commander kicking dog.jpg (118 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
cobra commander kicking dog.jpg
118 KB, 800x600
>>5665653
>DC just launch an all girl action figure set
Those are dolls, not action figures

>>5669825
>Now factor in villains always sell worse than heroes
This depends. Yeah, that's mostly true for DC villains, because they're stuck in the 60s.
Right now, with Marvel figures, Hasbro is concentrating on the C-list villains and those are mostly stuck in the 60s too. When you get the popular villains, theyll always sell better than heroes.
In general, bad guys are always the most popular action figures.
>>
Because SJW vastly overestimate the selling power.

They want the option to be there, they don't understand DEMAND doesn't meet the need. They just like to see companies waste money.

I get mad when I see complaints like that because I know even TOYBIZ had issues like this back in the 90's with the original X-men toys, nevermind Hasbro trying again with Legends.

Female characters are great for collectors, but ultimately kids don't care. Although I have to say Rey is selling pretty good with Star Wars. Leia was a peg-warmer. Finn is the biggest peg warmer ever. So its more-so than just females.

Social Justice hasn't caught up to the market place. Companies invest a lot in an imaginary demand.

This being said as I have a daughter and try to equally buy her both barbies/princesses and Star Wars/Ninja Turtles/Marvel stuff.

You can't forcefeed your kids this stuff. They'll like what they'll like.
>>
>>5656764
>What is Marvel Legends/Any Marvel property in 5 and 6 inch scale since they started.

Its the market dictating. Social Justice Warriors just have this like guilt about it so they try to fix what can't be fixed because its the DEMAND dictating. You can't sell what people don't want.

Remember Toybiz's Psylocke and others pegwarming hard?
>>
>>5661948
Mattel is a sinking ship that is sifting with buckets.

He's saying anything he can to try to win people over because they have lost billions due to Disney princesses going to HASBRO.
>>
>>5665604

The entire movie is a parody/shadow of it and set up to absolutely mock all that it was. Like Smurfs and such.

Sony just loves to rubberstamp these reboots/relaunches no matter what they are because they literally don't care. It's sad.

BTW this movie is supposed to be out soon and they're still doing major revamps.

He can blame the misogynists, but in reality its because this is a Parody of a good movie that absolutely pisses in the eyes of fans rather than compliment the series in a hand-off.
Even the fan-sites are having a hard time defending it, the fans are absolutely angry.
>>
>>5669671
>>5669564
Spider-Gwen's entire story is garbage. She just looks cool. The real reason the demand is there is because its Gwen and people might be buying 2-3 to customize one to 70's Gwen.
>>
>>5671178
>You can't forcefeed your kids this stuff. They'll like what they'll like.

This.

The diversification mentality is all from adults who think there are millions of little girls wishing they had power-armor Black Widow and it is just NOT the case.
>>
>>5671370

Kids tend to like what their parents do though. Why else are the little turds on phones 90% of the time? Because their shitty parents are, and they wanna ape mommy and daddy.

You see it a lot with neckbeard parents, their kids are the ones playing D&D and shit because daddy sits there for 8 hours every other week pretending to be an elf or whatever.
>>
>>5656255
For me, it would have to be a really cool female character for kid me to like it., like some sort of warrior with a sword. Otherwise they become the princesses to save or the witch to defeat.
>>
>>5671584
Why are millennials obsessed with social media and smartphones? It's because their 50-60 year old parents loved those things. Oh wait.

Parents can introduce and reduce social stigma around certain things, but people will like what they like.
>>
>>5671643
>It's because their 50-60 year old parents loved those things

But those 16 year olds parents had shit like that too.
>>
>>5662050
I want to say you're right, but unfortunately, Bioware games tend to do well
>>
>>5656761
>Pygmalion meets polygamy
Pygmalygamy?
>>
>>5669825
Hawkgirl
>>
>>5671773
>the average person or kid would know
>average person
>Hawkwoman

She's so B-lister I'm surprised even DC bothers to remember her.
>>
>>5671786
The Justice League cartoon basically made her completely overshadow the original Hawkman, and now we have her in Injustice as well

Revan and Starfire are also well known because of Teen Titans

An actual B lister would be someone like Power Girl
>>
>>5656259
>with the interest of Japanese collectors in mind
>they'd much rather have villains

Japan hates villains, lolwat
>>
>>5671838
Darth Vader is the exception of the villain. He's more iconic than Luke

Also Kylo Ren is more iconic than Rey or Finn
>>
>>5656255

When I was a little boy I wanted a few figures of the heroes I liked and then every single monster/bad guy/robot I could get my grubby hands on so they could fight. Girl characters are usually boring and shitty.
>>
>>5670612
Fuck you
>>
File: TeelaInc1a.jpg (31 KB, 302x612) Image search: [Google]
TeelaInc1a.jpg
31 KB, 302x612
>>5656761
>Billy is a boy. Billy has no hormonal urge to want girls
Billy sounds like a faggot. I had female figures at a young age and they made my dick hard. Pic very related.
>>
Even now I don't really buy figures of female characters. Granted, I mostly buy mecha, but in order for me to consider an action figure of a female character, the fact that the character is female has to be entirely incidental to both the character and her design. No creepy sexualized waifu figures for me, nor any fashion models or princess types, nor any latexed up babes with boob windows. It has to be something that fits into my collection of heroes (and villains) with hard edges and dashing personalities. Its not often we get characters like this, let alone figures of them

About the only one I can think of with that description off the top of my head is something like figma F/Z Saber, and even then, I'd be buying figures of every other Servant from that story first besides Caster if such figures existed
>>
Male figures have to be masculine
Female figures have to be sexy and feminine

Most female figures look like not-so-masculine men.
>>
>>5672010
Worst was the GIJoe live action movie line. Man jaws all around. Most Leias end up looking pretty bad too. For a long time, Sideshow's 12" version was the only one that actually looked like Carrie Fisher. I want to be optimistic about the upcoming Black Series version but, you know, Hasbro...
>>
>>5671908

Fuck you back nigger faggot.
>>
>>5671930

Hell yeah, Teela got them THUNDER THIGHS.
>>
File: HB_sh_2.jpg (155 KB, 426x640) Image search: [Google]
HB_sh_2.jpg
155 KB, 426x640
female figures can sell, if you take a male figure and turn it into a girl
>>
>>5673068
and make her look good
>>
>>5673078
Malebusters!
>>
>>5673078
Why does it look so much like shit compared even to figma?
>>
>>5673103
because they think there is enough tumblr toy collectors who will purchase this plastic abomination
>>
>>5673103
>Why does it look so much like shit compared even to figma?

Mattel
>>
>>5656255

but most of my figmas are kawaii nippon school girls
>>
>>5671930

Post booty
>>
>>5662238
Even the SJW's didn't fall for this stunt. They called the trailer out as an obvious rehash of the original.
>>
>>5673079
Don't you mean "Ballbusters"?
Thread replies: 192
Thread images: 37

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.