[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I just moved into a new place and I'm thinking about replacing
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /toy/ - Toys

Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 17
File: 21.jpg (1 MB, 999x1776) Image search: [Google]
21.jpg
1 MB, 999x1776
I just moved into a new place and I'm thinking about replacing my cheap bookcase I used to display my figures with a nice glass or curio case. Does anybody know of one that can fit 12"+ figures and isn't $500?
>>
File: detolf.jpg (9 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
detolf.jpg
9 KB, 500x500
Stock response: Ikea Deltof, $60.
>>
>>5644729

That's a strange collection
>>
>>5644729
>det..
>olf?
>>
>>5644729
Get a Detolf, install some good lighting, dustproof it (optional but recommended).

There's no reason to spend $500+ on furniture to display your figures.
>>
If you want your display to look cheap and bad as fuck, yeah, go Detolf OP.

Real answer : there's no good budget solution. Either spend some money or settle for shit.
>>
If that pic is actually yours. I kind of like it the way it is. Only thing I would recommend is a shelf that encloses it in glass. For dust purposes.
>>
>>5644763
>There's no reason to spend $500+ on furniture to display your figures.
There is no reason to spend $500+ on figures and then cheap out on the display.
>>
>>5644792
There is such a thing as diminishing returns though.

$500 glass isn't ten times better looking and stronger than $50 glass.
>>
>>5644729

Ikea Fabrikor. More expensive than detolf, but look much classier.
>>
File: setup.jpg (135 KB, 768x1024) Image search: [Google]
setup.jpg
135 KB, 768x1024
>>5644792
The next best option for glass cases beyond a Detolf is ten times the cost. It's not exactly cheating out either, Detolfs are totally fine when used correctly.
>pic not quite related but almost
>>
>>5644802
But for $500, you get a better quality product than some cheap at times rickety Ikea glass case. It's not just about a few panes of glass.
>>
>>5644812
Show us your amazing non detolf display so we may learn the ways of proper organization.
>>
>>5644812
>you get a better quality product than some cheap at times rickety Ikea glass case.
You put them together yourself, if it's rickety it's because you're a retard who can't follow simple instructions.

If we were talking about wooden cabinets I'd agree with you, because it's easy to tell cheap wood from the proper stuff, but for a glass cabinet you're going to fill with chinese plastic, there's literally nothing wrong with a Detolf.

>It's not just about a few panes of glass.

Except it is. Detolfs don't look bad, they fulfill their purpose without looking gaudy or like granny's good china cabinet.

>>5644831
Also this.

Whenever someone shows up to bash detolfs, they always seem to forget to post pics of their own displays.
>>
>>5644763
Detolf nowadays are semi-dustproof anyway.
There is some dust that gets into it (from the front), but it'd take several weeks for it to be slightly noticeable.
>>
>>5644729
I admire your dedication to your husbando.
>>
File: mrc4blkkd.rw_zoom.jpg (71 KB, 1200x1184) Image search: [Google]
mrc4blkkd.rw_zoom.jpg
71 KB, 1200x1184
OP, what is it you have in mind? Do you want all glass? Or do you want mostly wood. Cheap and easy, mostly glass is a detolf.

If you want mostly wood but with glass doors, Ikea has options like the Billy bookcase.

If you're looking for nicer, you can try displays2go. They sell floor cases and wall mounted display cases.
>>
>>5644729
I'm just taking a stab here but I have a feeling OP likes Dr. Strange. Excited for the movie OP? Looks pretty interesting so far.
>>
File: 20160502_154947.jpg (4 MB, 2120x2735) Image search: [Google]
20160502_154947.jpg
4 MB, 2120x2735
Also what >>5644774 said. I do kinda like it the way it is. If anything get a Stranger looking bookshelf. Also I'm a little disappointed I don't see pic related. Otherwise solid set up.
>>
I've seen enough glass destruction pics that I don't think I could handle having a glass shelving system with my collection.
>>
A thing I see every so often is Ikea Billy cabinets with glass doors.
>>
Doesn't matter what your shelf is like (unless it really is ghetto. Like boards and milk crates, or end display stolen from the market up the block), it's the way you display your shit.
Don't have it all jammed in together.
Keep it clean and dust free.
Put some thought into how you lay everything out.

The cabinet you have now isn't bad, it just needs a little tlc. Don't spend money just to fit in with the rest of /toy/.
Unless it absolutely doesn't go with anything in your new place. (and even then you can paint it)
>>
>>5645066
A little googling around but here's a Billy bookcase in white with the glass doors. I have one of the slim cases in birch with a glass door.

I think if OP went with a Billy, the black wound probably look the nicest.

However the case they have now looks pretty nice, and you can see in the photo that it has glass doors already.
>>
>>5644831
>if you don't show your display, it means better built glass cases like this don't exist.
sure is 14 year old tard who hasn't learned what a logical fallacy is yet

>>5644802
Take this display for instance >>5644810
A ton of wasted pace and a complete lack of customization.
There isn't a diminishing return when you have better options so you get more area for display per your buck.
>>
File: glass cases.jpg (42 KB, 600x400) Image search: [Google]
glass cases.jpg
42 KB, 600x400
>>5645157
forgot my image
>>
>>5645157
>>5645164
This is subjectanon. ignore, report, hide, or mock. do not engage.
>>
>>5645157
>A ton of wasted space
It's called not being a clusterfuck
>a complete lack of customization.
Who gives a fuck? Why are you such a special snowflake?
>There isn't a diminishing return when you have better options so you get more area for display per your buck.
Paying an extra $400~ for a few more inches of space is stupid.

>>5645164
How much are those? Because they don't look any better than detolfs.

Those overly thick bases and tops are a waste of space.
>>
File: no bait today.webm (304 KB, 1278x720) Image search: [Google]
no bait today.webm
304 KB, 1278x720
>>5645186
Oh damn I fell for it!
>>
>>5645084

I think there's a variant of the doors without the wooden frames around them too.
>>
>>5645052
WTF is that?
>>
>>5644792
>There's no reason to spend $500+ on furniture to display your figures.
>There is no reason to spend $500+ on figures and then cheap out on the display.

Shots fired.
>>
>>5645197
A box of magical Marvel dudes.
>>
>>5645188
>Those overly thick bases and tops are a waste of space.

The bases are reasonable, though. a lot of people mount detolfs on something because just having the last level near the ground is just awkward visually. It's like the figure is on the floor.
>>
File: display-Cases-w-Shelves.jpg (62 KB, 180x200) Image search: [Google]
display-Cases-w-Shelves.jpg
62 KB, 180x200
>>5645188
>It's called not being a clusterfuck
You mean putting 3 display cases wasting space in a wall because you can't afford 1 bigger one that can properly fit in that area? Because that's a furniture clusterfuck.

Also, i find it funny that you don't think sticking 4 Jokers and a bunch of Transformers into one small shelf doesn't constitute a clusterfuck. I can't even tell how many Spawn figures you have ontop of the displace case because it's such a jumble of forms.

>Paying an extra $400~ for a few more inches of space is stupid.
It's not a few more inches of space. Judging by the carpetted areas showing behind the glass case, you're getting more than a couple of square yards more. I won't even bring up the fact that a single case looks better than 3 overlapping display cases.
As for customizing, adjustable shelves would improve how much space you can have for each shelf, so you can frame your dollies better. You could also not using the fucking top as a display area and put those figures enclosed as well.

>Those overly thick bases and tops are a waste of space.
It's called framing and it's not like you want to use the bottom for anything (except storage and other things you want to not prominently display), as you can't see shit down there.

>>5644834
> if it's rickety
The only time I've ever seen a detolf not rickety is at ikea itself, and that's because they bolt it down. Even people who use brackets (which i highly endorse) to reinforce their ikea crap, it still comes off as rickety compared to quality furniture.
>>
got nothing to add re: displays but cool collection OP
>>5644729
>>
>>5645197
SDCC 2016 Exclusive Book of Vishanti Marvel Legends set.
>>
File: 1461802154092.jpg (156 KB, 1024x681) Image search: [Google]
1461802154092.jpg
156 KB, 1024x681
I saw this on /a/ last week and liked it. Their waifu is shit, but I like how clean the display looks. Once I get a cleaner place, it'd be pretty neat to make a display divider like that.

>>5645084
I really like this too. Probably much more budget friendly.
>>
File: 20160127_195649s.jpg (320 KB, 2000x1125) Image search: [Google]
20160127_195649s.jpg
320 KB, 2000x1125
>>5645066
>>5645084
Here's my Billy shelves with LED lights, glass shelves and glass doors.
>>
File: 20160417_155015s.png (3 MB, 2000x1125) Image search: [Google]
20160417_155015s.png
3 MB, 2000x1125
>>5645696
Here's some more Billy shelves I just added in another room. This time I got the glass doors with the wood frame.
>>
>>5645696
Oh god, why would you put it behind your actual door?
>>
>>5645722
There is a door stopper to protect the case if that's what your talking about.
>>
File: Klingsbo.jpg (11 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
Klingsbo.jpg
11 KB, 500x500
Since we're talking ikea cabinets.

Which do you think is a better alternative to a detolf?

The Klingsbo looks like a decent alternative. It's $139 and doesn't have the glass shelf all the way to the floor.
>>
>>5645755
I have one and it's decent enough. The only fault being that the door has a slight gap that can allow some dust to seep in.
>>
File: hindo.jpg (18 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
hindo.jpg
18 KB, 500x500
>>5645755
There's also the Hindo for $99. Though it only comes in the grey color. Might look nicer if you did a repaint on it but that's if it suits your taste.
>>
File: image.jpg (247 KB, 1155x867) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
247 KB, 1155x867
>>5645755
You can see it on the far left here by the rosewood cabinet. Sorry for the blurry image.
>>
File: DSC01154.jpg (89 KB, 691x922) Image search: [Google]
DSC01154.jpg
89 KB, 691x922
>>5645728
Doesn't look like it would stop much, but I'll take your word for it. Maybe I'm missing something. Despite how "safe" you feel it might be, I still can't help but be concerned about that placement...
>>
>>5645847
The door is noticeably wider than the two glass faces units, the doorknob probably lands where the books are on the third unit. I'm sure he opened the door and noted any danger and you're worried about nothing.
>>
>>5645869
The door hitting it anywhere could likely cause damage to the glass.
Hell, just the pressure from air being displaced when opening the door too fast can cause panels to fall, if he has any loose parts.

>>5645847
what the hell happened here?
Also, is that a giant Dr Doom on a throne on the very top?
>>
>>5645847
>all that merchandise of Laura

I'm honestly jealous
>>
>>5645847
>Beast got tired of that guy.
>>
>>5644729
My, what a Strange collection!
>>
>>5645847
http://objection.mrdictionary.net/go.php?n=8219538
>>
>>5644729
I like your current book case, its got lots of personality and character. The glass ones seem so boring and generic

But its up to you anon, do whatever makes you happy!
>>
>>5646828
http://objection.mrdictionary.net/go.php?n=8219911
>>
>>5646005
I am pulling this out my arse based on what I see so bear that in mind

The position of the case to the door seems highly implausible to me that the door caused the glass to shatter. There is just no way for any portion of the door to have touched the glass.

Now look at the contents of the case and that toy on the ground. That case is neatly organized with all busts excluding that single full body statue at the top amidst busts, and atop that case in another smaller case containing a figure so there appears to be no room for whatever that toy is lying on the ground to have been in or on the case and then simply tumbled out upon the smash. In fact that toy does not really match the themes at all, looks really out of place.

Therefore when you put all the puzzle pieces together you realize that the toy is the culprit of the mystery of the smashed case! Most likely sent airborne by a now ex girlfriend after the owner tried to get her to cosplay as mystique while he screwed her dressed as wolverine
>>
>>5648947
if it was thrown, it's more likely it would end up inside the display case and possibly breaking the shelves inside.

Whats more likely, the air created from the door opening caused a top figure ot fall down and hit the glass door on the rebound, shattering the glass.
Chintzy wobbly Ikea shit is wobbly crap.

And looking at the image again, the figure is laying ontop of the broken glass. Seems more like the glass door broke first and then the figure fell.
Cheapo Ikea furniture.
>>
>>5649748
and checking out the image, it brought me to this thread
http://www.statuemarvels.com/f458/wtf-case-imploding-detolf-18782.html

It randomly exploded, just from being used and all the wobbling it gets from the door being moved.
That figure on the bottom apparently belongs down there and only fell over after the door broke.
Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 17

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.