[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So, unusual question here. I'm a VFX artist for films and
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /toy/ - Toys

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 9
File: img5.jpg (150 KB, 720x480) Image search: [Google]
img5.jpg
150 KB, 720x480
So, unusual question here.

I'm a VFX artist for films and one project I'm working on requires large-ish, custom built, spaceship models. Scale isn't too important as long as the models are very detailed.

What I need are lots and lots of "model kits", you know the plastic ones with all the individual pieces you glue together, so that I can kitbash something together.

I have absolutely no idea where to find said model kits, I live in london but i'm guessing it would be cheaper to buy them online. As cheap as possible would be good because then I can buy a shitload.

First time posting on this board and I don't know the culture so apologies for any faux pas
>>
>London

Just buy online.
>>
>>5638857
i hate to ask to be spoonfed but do you have any recommendations?
>>
Is it Firefly? Please say it's Firefly.
>>
>>5638864
gunpla/plamo thread might know. I'm not really consistent with the hobby so its best to ask there.
>>
>>5638867
sadly no, firefly isn't coming back until Joss stops making millions from the same capeshit film every year

>>5638873
cheers i'll ask there
>>
>>5638864
Amiami
Hlj
Mandrake

although they aren't spaceships, the armor pieces on HMM Zoids are super detailed, same with MG Gundam Kits. You can always start with a base then "add armor".
Kotobukiya has a line of accessories called Modeling Support Goods which has a number of weapons that could be used as fodder,
>>
sounds interesting. link your work when you're done? also how does one get into that kinda work?
>>
File: 4180nkXh0AL._SY300_.jpg (14 KB, 294x300) Image search: [Google]
4180nkXh0AL._SY300_.jpg
14 KB, 294x300
why didn't the company just hire someone who knows about what you're asking about
>>
>>5638900
Because nepotism and contacts are how anyone gets around in life.
>>
>>5638887
thanks, the stuff they have seems good as I was planning on building a core for it out of wire and styrene anyway. The only problem is shipping, the nature of what I need to do is that if I want another kit so that I can mirror something i need it as soon as possible, do you know of any retailers in europe? Thanks anyway, thats a great start.

>>5638896
yes it is cool, my work so far is pretty unimpressive and this is the first time i do something like this. In terms of how to get into this work it differs for everyone, for me I went to film school.
>>
>>5638842
3d printer is an option, might run actually cheaper and quicker than getting the 9000 different model kits you need for one.

If you want to scratchbuild, I've used flat sheets of plastic to block out, cut up parts from other kits where needed and then details made either from the said plastic or stolen from kits

Honestly, if you have a 3d guy, and you should, printing will run cheaper.
If you need kits, there's shitload of shops around london, I presume seeing as you managed to get a job you're not qualified for you're at least smart enough to know how to google "scale model shops london"
>>
>>5638880
>firefly isn't coming back
Sadly. But you know what? It's for the best. I would be too terrified they'd fuck it up.
>>
>>5638914
I considered 3d printing it but the problem is one of resolution. As good as 3d printing is getting you still have problems with very fine details. The thing that sells the scale of the ship onscreen is the very fine details, not the general shape.

To get something that looks like it could be a 200m long ship you need to cover the damn thing in absolutely tiny details.
>>
>>5638929
3d print the base and get details from some kits or make them yourself.
You can sand to smooth the surface and make details yourself from greenstuff or plastic sheets
>>
>op studied film

you have no hope if you're trying to please someone with work you have no idea in let alone begin to understand the years many trips and anons here have faced.
>>
Do you have a budget? Do you have a deadline?
>>
It's actually be a lot cheaper if you cast sheets of resin and cut them up and glue them together. Do you know how to carve and work with tool?
>>
>>5639081
This. Who actually buys model kits instead of just making your own? Also, if you know any WarHammer Shops and get to know the staff, you could ask them for help with this and if they'd be willing to let go of a few extra sprus they have lying around.
>>
>>5638914
3D printer is a shit option for any kind of model work. This shit needs to stand scrutiny at an extreme close up, 3D prints are rough as hell. Imagine seeing a 3D printed millennium falcon in a new Star Wars film.

As for OP, if you want cheap, Gundam kits are pretty much the cheapest models money can buy, but many of them don't have a lot of surface detail, so if that's what you may be better off with something else.
Being a VFX artist though I'm sure I don't need to tell you that most kitbashed models from Star Wars etc. were made from various Tamiya military and racing models.
>>
>>5639345
Op studied film, not special effects. If he knew what he was doing he wouldn't need to come here, let alone make a new general instead of lurking the catalog.
>>
I hope you got at least some basic experience gluing stuff together.

These links might be helpful
http://obsessivelystitching.blogspot.de/2010/06/make-your-own-model-spaceships-out-of.html

http://murraybreen.com/category/scale-modeling-2/
>>
>>5639345
DPL/SLA resin printed parts actually have extremely good surface quality and can basically achieve the same amount of detail as a modern 1/144 HG gunpla.

That said, the best bet for this sort of stuff is just scratchbuilding with HIPS sheets and tubes.
>>
>>5638842
OP, two things:

1) How do I get into your line of work? I'm currently teaching myself how to 2D art, was considering shooting for concept work if I reach that level.

2) I used to do scale modelling when I was younger, and I lived in London for a few years. Here's some suggestions:

https://www.hannants.co.uk - has a huge level of stock and has a London location they will ship things to for you to pick up if you don't want to wait on the post.

You can also try 308 Models, and Orbital Comics - http://www.orbitalcomics.com - sometimes have Gunpla and Frame Arms kits in stock.

There used to be lots of model shops in London, not any more sadly.
>>
>>5638864
you live in London you say? Well here is another idea for you that might work especially well considering being over there. In my college days I had a roommate who was, coincidently, a VFX major. He would buy small sized vehicle, and then go to an LFGS who had some 'Bits Bins' for like a quarter per bit, those are spare leftover scraps from wargamming miniatures. He would be able to customize the base vehicles to insane levels of detail by slapping on various weaponry and armor pieces he would find in those bits bins.

In your case being in england, you will easily be able to find stores that carry warhammer and other wargamming stuff. On the other hand, I have no idea wether or not the GW stores do things like 'Bits Bins', but it would not hurt to give it a try and check them out. Obviously you still want to build up that nice collection of actual kits and parts, but if you can find any nearby places that sell random misclanious peices like that, you could use them to add further details.
>>
>>5641202
>I have no idea wether or not the GW stores do things like 'Bits Bins'

Not a chance. GW have been shifting focus away from custom building your own models for at least 15 years, even if you're using GW components.
>>
>>5642321
a shame, but there should be other stores that still do that sort of thing in london right? Or has GW pretty much made it impossible to sell anything from them at all if you are not one of their stores in england?
>>
File: AJ64.jpg (54 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
AJ64.jpg
54 KB, 800x600
I think you have the right approach scratchbuilding the basic hull

Another thing to consider is mixing scales.
Buy something like a 1/32 helicopter or 1/35 tank and use parts from 1/350 naval ship to make it look big.
>>
>>5638842
How about you SCRATCH fuckin BUILD them?

If you don't have any modeling experience, you're dead in the water either way
>>
>>5638842
>can't kitbash

ISHYDGDT
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (183 KB, 2208x1242) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
183 KB, 2208x1242
look for pepakura tutorials anon
it's a good way make larger more complex models without access to a 3D printer
>>
>>5641086
Not him but honestly dude if you're looking to do art of any sort for a living fucking go to school for it, it's all about the connections you make while you're there that will determine your future
>>
>>5638900
The people who do the hiring for lower positions often overlook how important the jobs are, the first few years of working in film are full of jobs you have to learn on the fly and being mistreated and payed slave wages. The only thing film school really gets you is technical camera knowlege and connections
>>
>>5646341
Frank Kozik said art school is stupid.
>>
File: gcl9_14.jpg (101 KB, 900x512) Image search: [Google]
gcl9_14.jpg
101 KB, 900x512
>>5638842

Have you tried the Bandai EX line?

This is the Ptolaemeios from 00, but there's a White Base, Albion, Musai, Meteor Unit, etc.
>>
File: gcl9_01.jpg (109 KB, 900x433) Image search: [Google]
gcl9_01.jpg
109 KB, 900x433
>>5646360

There's also the HGM, such as the Neue Ziel and Denobrium. Pictures are all Dalong.com.
>>
unless OP gives diemensions we can't help him
>>
>>5646359
That's a common sentiment from those who didn't need it. Frank Kozik Is famous and incredibly talented, he can say whatever he wants. For those of us not on his level building connections is the best way to succeed in our fields.
>>
>>5646368
Frank Kozik isn't a beta bitch boy like op and worked his way from the bottom and did research, even without the internet. its really said people like op exist and can't simply google shit let alone go to a hardware store or something with plastics
>>
File: knights of sidonia.png (949 KB, 945x619) Image search: [Google]
knights of sidonia.png
949 KB, 945x619
>>5646376

Wasn't the Tumbler designed because some art designer bought a bunch of car kits and mixed up a Lamborghini with a tank?

Also, Sidonia guy tried to CAD a mecha and then resorted to buying dozens of Gunpla and gluing them into monstrosities.
>>
>>5645591
kit peices are really great for easily slapping on gribbles and panel lines onto a base scracth build. Stuff like what you posted can just be a straight scratch built, but the model kits help out if you want something less sleek.
>>5646336
Pepakura is great for a basic model presentation, I did it a couple times myself in school, but you can't get the full sculpted details.

>>5646364
I don't think dimensions are important in this case. He just needs a lot of cheap throwaway model parts for the sole purpose of easily adding extra detail without needing to spend a lot of time scribing or sculpting it all.

>>5646382
>Wasn't the Tumbler designed because some art designer bought a bunch of car kits and mixed up a Lamborghini with a tank?
really? I always figured they looked at the bat tank from Frank Miller's Batman and went from there. Interesting to know.
>>
>>5646382
Watching old sci-fi films you can see parts of military scale models everywhere on the ships, it's common industry practice and much easier than sculpting and making original molds. I love the Sidonia tidbit though, I'd love to see the model he made. Slightly related but the macross guy plans out all his mecha in lego to make sure the transformation can work before drawing them
>>
>>5646406

When they were making MGS2, they made big shell out of Legos to serve as a model, as well.
Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.