[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
MIP
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /toy/ - Toys

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 6
File: 20160427_172700.jpg (3 MB, 2481x1859) Image search: [Google]
20160427_172700.jpg
3 MB, 2481x1859
Is there any way to display packaged figures in a classy way, without it looking like a toy store in your house?
I have a bunch of figures I like but they have little play value so to open them is hardly worth it. Others are more interesting when seen in context with the packaging. What say you, /toy/?
Do any of you display carded figures?
>>
Carded figures are the bain of any collection because they purely exist to be a delivery method and nothing else.
>>
>>5634237
Personally, I feel there 's no point in collecting figures if you're not going to take them out of their boxes, but to each their own I guess. Displaying carded stuff can look cool, but only if you keep it to a minimum, no more than 7 or so at a time. Also, try to keep them from the same line. It looks cool if you have maybe a single wave from one series, but it going to get cluttered if you have a whole wall populated by 7 different toylines.
>>
>>5634237
MIP is actually a fallacy because pretty much any figure that's been in the plastic for more than 3 or 4 years is going to suffer some damage.
>>
By opening them
>>
File: mip_col.jpg (141 KB, 720x960) Image search: [Google]
mip_col.jpg
141 KB, 720x960
>>5634332
>citation needed
I've opened countless vintage toys and have never experienced damage caused by packaging
>>
>>5634353
How would you know if you haven't opened them? :^)
>>
>>5634353
This is a really nice collection
>>5634237
Unfortunately not. I collect Rey stuff MIB and it looks like a huge clusterfuck on my shelves.
>>
>>5634332
>"Keeping toys in the box will destroy them!"
Is this /toy/'s version of /vr/'s disk rot meme?
>>
>>5634371
Plasticizer leaking is not a meme.
>>
>>5634371
what's the disk rot meme?
>>
>>5634371
it's not meme dude
toy kept in packages will rot faster than those displayed because of plasticizer leak
>>
>>5634371
>plasticizer leak
>meme
son i have some bad news for you
http://www.dollstuff.net/diary/200903/legs.jpg
>>
>>5634353
I know what savage caveman rapists feel like.

I want to ravage those boxes like it was my first Christmas.
>>
>>5634761
>linking jpgs on an imageboard

But yeah it's real. I bought an old toy awhile back from HLJ, it was only a few years old but it was coated in plasticizer.
>>
>>5634763
oh shit, i meant to link this
http://www.dollstuff.net/diary/200903291
>>
>>5634332
>MIP is actually a fallacy because pretty much any figure that's been in the plastic for more than 3 or 4 years is going to suffer some damage.

My Little Pony?
>>
>>5634780
i guess all the old mlp toys (pre broney era mostly) are all really bad if not properly looked after
>>
Man I open an old MOC Spawn figure or two a year. Those are like 20 years old and have no problems.
>>
File: p1140485.jpg (627 KB, 1280x960) Image search: [Google]
p1140485.jpg
627 KB, 1280x960
>>5634237
I never wanted a Power rangers figure before. all the villains look so neat, and cheap too.
>>
>>5634237
Hanging them up seems like the best option. easiest displays ever if you just have some push pins. youre not really going to be able to avoid the toystore look to some extent
>>
Personally, I feel fisplaying mib/mip is only for vintage items. There display boxes were better at theming and keeping everything coincise with its art. Example is starwars kenner stuff with its black box, retro font and display artwork. Simple and clean
>>
File: rescuemission.jpg (250 KB, 750x458) Image search: [Google]
rescuemission.jpg
250 KB, 750x458
I live in a tropical country. Buying from the aftermarket where the toys are not that well kept (high heat, high humidity) usually means that the packaging has degraded.

Plasticizer leaking is real but honestly I don't see it damage the figures in any way especially if you're keeping them packaged. If you're opening them, you just need to give the figures a warm soapy wash.

The real damage is from those packaging elastic bands used throughout the 2000s. These bands will eventually dry up, turn brittle and become yellow dust. The toys in diorama packaging (pic) can be shaken loose, free to bounce around the box. What's worse is when the bands leach the paint off the toys as they dry up.
>>
File: s-l1000.jpg (111 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
s-l1000.jpg
111 KB, 1000x1000
>>5635519
Yeah, if you don't mind the look, you can check out your local shelving supplier. They usually have standing wire mesh with pegs/wheels/etc. accessories to go with them.
>>
>>5634237
>Is there any way to display packaged figures in a classy way, without it looking like a toy store in your house?

NO.

>I have a bunch of figures I like but they have little play value so to open them is hardly worth it.

Just put your toys on a display and quit being that guy
>>
File: museum-collection-ma.jpg (240 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
museum-collection-ma.jpg
240 KB, 800x600
Buy up a bunch of drawers like this.
Classy as fuck.
>>
>>5634237
By opening them
>>
>>5635648

THIS
>>
>>5634357
I think you need some reading comprehension, friend.
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.