[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Ready for McFarlane's 2nd and probably final breakdown?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /toy/ - Toys

Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 12
Ready for McFarlane's 2nd and probably final breakdown?

It's like they haven't learned a thing about bad licensing after 2006.
>>
who wants a figure of manface mcgillicutty here?
>>
>>Action figure

>>no articulation shown

Jesus christ Todd.
>>
>making figures of generic zombie girl #20th

I hate modern tv.
>>
If they make one for Daniel I'll buy it.
>>
File: alycia debnam-carey.jpg (485 KB, 1131x1700) Image search: [Google]
alycia debnam-carey.jpg
485 KB, 1131x1700
I need a figure of the daughter.

For reasons.
>>
>>5605366
He says he's adding articulation to these. I got the feeling he was hoping people would accept them without articulation when he showed them at toy fair, so he could save big money on production.
>>
File: Mutley.gif (836 KB, 320x210) Image search: [Google]
Mutley.gif
836 KB, 320x210
>>5605358
>Dickens
>>
File: Dealw_it.gif (2 MB, 300x169) Image search: [Google]
Dealw_it.gif
2 MB, 300x169
>>5605379
>BLACKED
>>
>>5605380
lmao They're going to have articulation like all the other statue figures he's made over the years. Random cut joints, maybe ball jointed shoulders and neck. They're going to be preposed.
>>
So are these gonna be the only TV series Walking Dead figures McFarlane is making now? Or are these gonna be special collectors figures released alongside the normal ones?
>>
>>5605357
>Ready for McFarlane's 2nd and probably final breakdown?
Fans will still buy these toys and give profit. cutting articulation saves McF money
>>
>>5605357
Why are they doing a complete 180 now? Each series has been getting better now they're doing statue shit again?
>>
>>5605691
I swear McFarlane's legitimately autistic. I love his art and I'm grateful to early McFarlane Toys for dragging the industry up by its bootstraps, but for fuck's sakes, Todd. Just license Figma or Revoltech joints or something.
>>
So what's new? This company hasn't been relevant for over a decade. I wish it would just die already so I don't have to see any more of their statueshit level "toys".
>>
>>5605606
only 7inch and 10inch statueshit

they should have dropped the 10inch line instead
>>
>>5605740
Casuals and LCS-shoppers have always been the ones propping up these kinds of things. They kept DC Direct afloat for more than a decade, same with Diamond Select, and they do it with McFarlane as well. It's not going to go away.
>>
>>5605716
>>5605691
They're not statues.
They're doing the same shit they've been doing since the Walking Dead line.

And they have a weird idea about what constitutes articulation, because they've been counting the Revoltech-type joints as only one point of articulation for years. So who knows which definition they're using when talking about how their new 7" figures will all have an average of 15PoA.
>>
>>5605990
This is really really STUPID now that we have all of Ricks group in 5 inch. Are they going to make a 7 inch Negan to tower over them? Seriously?

FTWD is a sinking ship that never even set sail. I cant believe they are going through with figures for it that nobody asked for.

This smells like them preparing to fail and drop another license to me.
>>
>>5606010
I'm more bothered by the fact that they dropped Halo, because i can live with a scale switch.

It's understandable why they do this, but this still bothers me anyway.
>>
>>5605358
Nice dimples
>>
>>5605943
That's fucking retarded. I hope this is only for the TV series figures I already don't collect. If they start over on comic figures in a new scale I'm done.
>>
>>5606010
Think about how badass that would look on a shelf though.

Ricks group with a giant Negan behind them.
>>
Too bad it took them this long to realize 5 inch is such a stupid scale, I don't care about the show anymore, especially fear.
>>
I think they're making a smart move. Obviously this is toy so statues get instant hate. But the show typically adult viewers, adults don't buy toys. So they're more likely to buy cheap little statue like figures.

I think sometimes people here forget that we're not normal for caring so much about toys.
>>
>>5605716

Has he drawn anything in the last 20 years?
>>
>>5607031
He's doing Spawn and other stuff still today.
>>
>>5607588
Didn't Spawn end like 6 years ago?
>>
>>5606086
Thanks
>>
>>5607632
Its a western comic series. There is no true end ever, just reboots, alt reselling so, alternate universes, timey wimey doohickeys, and so on and so forth.
>>
>>5606022
Think he had a choice in 'dropping' halo? The license expired and Microsoft did not want to renew with him because they wanted a merchandise explosion like during the period of 3 and 4. Mcfarlane understandably was being very cautious in figure releases during the last couple years cause halo just wasn't as big a deal anymore with the fans who are more likely to buy those kinds of figures. So Microsoft went with Mattel who already had decent success with the megabloks and their halo dart guns did very well
>>
>>5608726
>Think he had a choice in 'dropping' halo?
They always have a choice, but i can understand why he didn't bother to renew it.
>cause halo just wasn't as big a deal anymore
pretty much

>So Microsoft went with Mattel who already had decent success with the megabloks and their halo dart guns did very well
What usually happens is that the licensor gives the current licensee a chance to re-up. MS either shopped around a year or two before the license is up or maybe Mattel came up to MS to get the license when licensors usually start seeking reupping.
I can't imagine it being all that sought after now.
>>
>>5607632
He was literally drawing for the Spawn comic live on facebook just right now lol
>>
don't care, based on a shit ass lazy show redoing all the terribly boring shit from the walking dead
waste of money and effort ip
>>
>>5608820
It was outright stated by mcfarlane at toy fair to press that it was not their choice in dropping the line, it was ms who chose not to renew with them. And again, one can easily see why they didn't offer it to mcfarlane again when Mattel immediately announces the huge amount of merchandise they did. Mattel wants halo because halo will be wat lets them compete with hasbro having Star Wars. They revealed announced an energy sword that sounds like the force fx sabers. Halo so far was the only thing that really sold from their BoomCo brand soma keys sense they wanted the full license.
>>
>>5609300
>soma keys

Meant to say 'so makes' I need to just sleep now.
>>
File: micro ops.png (434 KB, 650x365) Image search: [Google]
micro ops.png
434 KB, 650x365
>>5609300
>it was not their choice in dropping the line
They always have a choice. It's written in practically every license that they'll have first dibs to reup. That doesn't mean they'll get it for free though, and as i state, MS shopped around to see how much anyone else is willing to pay. So Mattel probably said they'll pay up more money and/or ship more units to stores. MS asks if McFarlane can do that and of course McFarlane can't, so they lose the license.
This is what happens in most cases when a license is shifted from company to company.

>huge amount of merchandise they did
It's actually pretty paltry. From one company, it might seem like a lot, but it really doesn't add up to what was being sold in stores just a couple of years ago.
It's a declining series and was pretty much only hoping they'd revisit older games to make updated toys.

>Mattel wants halo because halo will be wat lets them compete with hasbro having Star Wars
Geez, is it 2004 again?
That ship has sailed years ago. The fact that you barely see any merch anymore is proof that it might not even reach Green Lantern levels of popularity again
>>
>>5609520
From halo toy news
>Halo 5 Series 2 Spartan Helljumper FigureHere’s some various facts and tidbits that I learned during my time with McFarlane Toys at the 2016 Toy Fair:

> It was not McFarlane Toys’ choice to stop producing Halo action figures. McFarlane’s license for Halo ran out, and 343 Industries chose not to renew the license, granting the new master license to Mattel instead.

Now sure I will admit that he coulda been giving just a nice sounding story to make mcfarlane seem completely victimized to its fans, but that's the only official word we got so far and notheing from 343, ms, or Mattel for details on why that switch was made.

I know it's paltry compared to the heyday of 3 and reach period for merchandise, but compared to the last couple years? It's a huge amount, several different Rc vehicles, two different scale action figure lines, a warthog for the big figures, the force fx equivalent energy sword, on top of their usual announcement of megabloks and now BoomCo blasters

Hey I also like you think the ship sailed too, and the only way it will ever return is if Microsoft makes a good halo popular with the old fans again. McFarlane seemed to recognize that by being very catious with the number and variety of figures he released. But either microsoft for some reason thinks they can just push the merchandising and make money off that and then offered it to Mattel for more then McFarlane felt 4 or so figures a year was worth, or Mattel got stupid from the sales their halo related products already gave them and offered a much bigger number for the entire license, after all the sales on the BoomCo halo guns were so good that they are not making any original BoomCo blaste and only the halo ones for the indefinite future. The halo guns pretty much saved that line so in their eyes maybe it could save the company? Again, let me stress, I don't think that will work in the long run, maybe a year at most, but we need a good halo game to save it.
>>
File: jada warthog for GI Joes.jpg (292 KB, 1023x612) Image search: [Google]
jada warthog for GI Joes.jpg
292 KB, 1023x612
>>5609746
When you're getting dropped, there's undoubtedly a difference between what really happened and what is said.
>I know it's paltry compared to the heyday of 3 and reach period for merchandise, but compared to the last couple years? It's a huge amount, several different Rc vehicles, two different scale action figure lines, a warthog for the big figures, the force fx equivalent energy sword, on top of their usual announcement of megabloks and now BoomCo blasters
Just a couple of years ago, we had multiple licensees releasing enough products to support each company. So even for Halo 4, there was still a lot of product being released.
So everything you mentioned in your post? All of those existed before, but a lot more product was being released.
Where are these companies now? Most of them dropped producing products years ago, because sales were poor. It didn't even have to do with not releasing quality products or availability, because there was a lot of great quality stuff that was found in most stores.

>Mattel got stupid from the sales their halo related products already gave them and offered a much bigger number for the entire license
This is likely what happened.

>we need a good halo game to save it.
I dont think this will "save" it, but i say this as a non-Halo gamer who has only bought the books and toys. Halo needs a movie to gain wider recognition, but having watched their last abortion of an animated movie, it doesn't seem like even MS has faith in it anymore.
>>
>>5610668
The Halo figures were still selling well. Halo is fine as an IP, regardless of the games not being at the top. Todd decided to neglect the license in favor of making more Walking Dead shit in 2013, so they finally bailed on him. If Halo figures weren't selling, Mattel wouldn't want the license.
>>
File: Knight.jpg (115 KB, 944x673) Image search: [Google]
Knight.jpg
115 KB, 944x673
>>5611197
>Todd decided to neglect the license in favor of making more Walking Dead shit in 2013, so they finally bailed on him.
>A company paid top dollar for the license and doesn't want to see a return on that investment
Don't be fucking dumb. A company like McFarlane can do two or three big lines at once.
As I already pointed out, ALL of the toy companies who were making Halo toys during Halo 4's release pretty much had their lines bomb. These poor sales show a lack of interest from consumers (read: Halo isn't popular enough to feed a mass market line).

If you're too young to remember, McFarlane's Halo 4 line actually got clearanced off and dropped from both Target and Walmart. They released some great stuff back then, but McFarlane was only able to return back to Target, in limited capacity in the collectors section. This is not neglect, because they have no control over consumers not buying toys and stores not wanting to carry as much stock as when Halo was actualy popular. Again, ANY toy company would LOVE and give their first born to have full support from retailers so they can sell a ton of products.

>If Halo figures weren't selling, Mattel wouldn't want the license.
Mattel is undoubtedly looking at Halo 5 to push sales, but judging from how little product they're actually going to sell, they're being realistic about it.
Mattel basically selling as many action figures as McFarlane is releasing now and everything else is less than what we saw released from other companies.
>>
>>5612213
McFarlane just isn't such a big toy company anymore, they dont have the money to do everything.

McFarlanes figures were the only affordable Halo product. Everything that you say failed was outrageously overpriced and most high end collectors really aren't into Halo.

>If you're too young to remember Halo 4
Jesus christ you are a fucking dumb little cunt manchild. See your problem?

>McFarlane's Halo 4 line actually got clearanced off and dropped from both Target and Walmart.
because it was ended. same thing happens to everything else.

Why would Target and TRU and Gamestop, etc ever touch them again if they were bad sales? Everyone sees them sell.
>>
>>5614596
>McFarlane just isn't such a big toy company anymore, they dont have the money to do everything.
Bullshit. What are you basing this on?
They just bought up a bunch of licenses and have expanded on the types of toys they make. They also sell their stuff to the biggest chains in the US (WalMart, Walgreens, TRU, and Target).

> Everything that you say failed was outrageously overpriced
lol, no.
Jada's stuff was all fairly priced. Diecast vehicles in multiple scales were well done and cost as much as other lines. So were all the remote control stuff.

>See your problem?
Yeah, my problem is arguing with a dumbshit who has a shit memory because he's too young to remember what happened.
>because it was ended. same thing happens to everything else.
Oh please. you don't get clearanced off like that unless you got poor sales and products stop being released. Stuff from Halo 3 and Reach kept on going for waves and waves, with almost no space inbetween the game releases into Halo 4. Halo 4 was a dead end for every license.

>Why would Target and TRU and Gamestop, etc ever touch them again if they were bad sales?
In case you didn't notice, Mattel is releasing a paltry amount of toys, again, in the same number McFarlane was releasing. They're being cautious and hoping Halo 5 will hype up consumers.
>>
>>5608718
That's only big two capeshit.
>>
>>5616635
wow you completely ignored all facts and continued to assert autismal beliefs

Nevermind that McFarlane ramped up production on Walking Dead items and expanded the offerings after they crippled Halo down. Just a coincidence.
>>
File: GameofThronesBuildingSets6.jpg (468 KB, 1800x1350) Image search: [Google]
GameofThronesBuildingSets6.jpg
468 KB, 1800x1350
>>5620340
what facts?

You made a bunch of unsupported claims and ignore the fact that Halo 4 merch bombed with nearly ever licencee, pretending McFarlane just wanted to release fewer products cuz der poor
You're also ignoring the fact that McFarlane expanded the toys they make and bought up more licenses to support their expansion: Game of Thrones, Freddie shit, Naruto, Attack on Titan, Gears of War, Titanfall, etc.
>>
>>5620554
>Game of Thrones
>Titanfall

all flops
>>
Now now ladies, you're both pretty!
>>
File: got-throne-room.jpg (1016 KB, 3000x2000) Image search: [Google]
got-throne-room.jpg
1016 KB, 3000x2000
>>5620569
I really hope it isn't, because i really really really love their sets.
They're just so cool looking and what I've always wanted since i was a kid.

also, i don't care if the Titanfall game flopped, because at least I'm getting a cool mecha. Just one and I'll be happy.
>>
>>5620652
>cool mecha
But the mech designs are fucking boring as shit. Look like tacticool dudebros with random tank parts thrown in because lol operator.
>>
File: chrome_hounds_024.jpg (66 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
chrome_hounds_024.jpg
66 KB, 640x480
>>5620769
>But the mech designs are fucking boring as shit. Look like tacticool dudebros with random tank parts thrown in because lol operator.
Speaking of which, you know what needs a toyline?

Why do you hate mecha? It's not like it's not all derivative as fuck, but that's what makes it cool.
>>
>>5620835
A mech is fine, too, but I'd rather ones with cool designs. The Titanfall ones just look like dudes in suits, with modern military parts (mags, tank parts, camera units, etc.) scattered around them. Not crazy about the humanoid hands holding guns, either, instead of swappable weapons attached to hardpoints, you know?

I'd much rather get figures of mechs from Chrome Hounds, Hawken, or BattleTech. Many of those designs are more appealing to me than Titanfall's ones. I mean, that game has, what 3 mechs, and none of them do it for me. The best-looking ones (like the reconfigurable one with hardpoints, the Power Loader one, and the gorilla one) didn't even make it into the game.
>>
File: titanfall orge.jpg (16 KB, 700x394) Image search: [Google]
titanfall orge.jpg
16 KB, 700x394
>>5620991
>The Titanfall ones just look like dudes in suits, with modern military parts (mags, tank parts, camera units, etc.) scattered around them.
Not a fan of Gundam?
Because those are just humans wearing boxy samurai armor.
I like the less human looking ones from these series, which are usually the Zeon and Zeon-equivalents mechs, and the Titanfall mechs are fall ideally into my .

I think out of all the mecha stuff, Mechwarrior/Battletech has my favorite designs. I'm an even larger fan of power armor, because those really tickle my "realistic enough" bone.

Also, that power loader one is just dumb. Way too top heavy and requires bending down to lift something up? dumb dumb dumb. Lanky gorilla arms and a lower center of gravity would fit in much easier.... but then, i guess this applies to all mecha even the battle ones, huh?
Mecha is so silly and dumb, yet look how awesome the designs are!
>>
>>5620554
It didn't bomb, it just wasn't sustainable as a headline toy property alongside Marvel and Star War. He made more a few months later.

Mcfarlane never pulls off large toy company work and they never will succeed in it whenever they do try. They dont have the resources. Todd always pulls the plug if its not to his profit expectations. Hes pulled it more times than anyone, even NECA.
>>
>>5620554
He keeps pulling in and tossing out properties one after another because he keeps chasing that high profit unicorn. He's not ammassing licenses. Its definitely a small toy company.
>>
File: HALO-Reach-Falcon-01_1297664556.jpg (196 KB, 1500x1125) Image search: [Google]
HALO-Reach-Falcon-01_1297664556.jpg
196 KB, 1500x1125
>>5626332
>It didn't bomb
But it did bomb, considering nearly every other licensee didn't produce anything else and had their stuff clearanced off.
Again, even McFarlane had his stuff REMOVED from the shelves and lost retailer support for the line. The fact McFarlane returned was negotiations and limited support.

>Mcfarlane never pulls off large toy company work
What is Prince of Persia?
What is Raving Rabbids?
What is fucking Halo? Oh, right, this isn't considered big anymore, because the fanbase has dropped off.

Then there's there superior to lego legosets.

>Todd always pulls the plug if its not to his profit expectations.
Give an example. Support your claim.
Without a doubt, you're going to mention something like this and pretend he really loves not making money, instead of understanding no company would release it if retailers won't order it.

>He's not ammassing licenses.
>currently not having GoT, WD, GoW, Naruto, Titanfall, etcofnearlyadozenmorelicenses
>not-a-mass
But you're right, he is currently throwing any old shit against the wall, because that's what all toy companies do, especially ones that rely on licensing.
>>
>>5626481

That thing never seeing the light of day still stings.
Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.