[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do you guys collect toys and only toys? I'm currently collecting
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /toy/ - Toys

Thread replies: 97
Thread images: 18
File: b4f.jpg (24 KB, 600x451) Image search: [Google]
b4f.jpg
24 KB, 600x451
Do you guys collect toys and only toys?
I'm currently collecting toys, comics, video games and recently fucking warhammer stuff.
Do you guys only collect 1 stuff or more?
>>
>>5590313
meant to add that I collect all these and I'm starting to get stressed and starting to hear my wallet crying
>>
I don't really collect video games, I get them to play them but once I finished playing them I sell them for the next game. I do collect comics, but the industry is slowing to a crawl, so is my own collecting.
>>
Used to "collect" shoes, clothes and yugioh cards.

I've stopped them all in favor of going full swing with toys.
>>
Toys, manga and video games.
>>
I've been buying a lot of shoes this year..
>>
I collect retro vidya and soundtracks.
>>
What kind of video games does on "collect"?
>>
>>5590313
Mostly toys. I only really did games in the 90s. This was before the Internet opened access to imports and old stuff (the 90s were pretty lousy for US toys). Then Marvel Legends and the reissue/redo the 80s took off. My manga collecting died out with series ending, comics would be a trickle if IDW wasn't publishing so much TransFormers stuff.

I'm getting pretty tired of toys though. When Takara finishes the Diaclone era, I'm done with MPs. At that point I won't be buying enough to make other ransom purchases at BBTS worthwhile. Distribution has been shit here for 20 years so with my BBTS account goes 95% of my toy buying.

Not sure what I'll do then. Maybe without so much spending I'll finally be able to save enough to make some toys. Because God knows the market isn't interested in anything but moeshit and remakes these days.
>>
>>5590313
I collect a lot of things. Toys of various series, manga, some comics, Warhammer things, DVDs, and so on. Not necessarily in relation to each other.
>>
Use to collect games but sold all the nintendo stuff that is easy to emulate anyway. Made some decent cash.

Collecting has died down a bit. I rarely buy toys anymore, have been buying guitars and guns or accessories for them recently.
>>
File: 1456345420786.png (183 KB, 480x502) Image search: [Google]
1456345420786.png
183 KB, 480x502
>>5590313
>collecting toys, comics, video games
>collecting video games
that sounds very dumb
>>
>>5590313
Toys, guitars, and clothing/shoes. I rotate through them pretty regularly though. It's like I can only focus on one collection at a time. Right now I'm stuck on shoes, but leading up to this I was on a huge nostalgic toy kick.
>>
I'm an expert at collecting dust.
>>
>>5590506
>guitars

That's an expensive thing to collect anon.
I'm glad I got out of that game.

>muh R9!
>muh custom shop!
>muh PRS!

Toy elitists are a breath of fresh air compared to guitarfags.
>>
Pretty much just toys. I buy printed volumes of comics once in a blue moon, but I don't feel like I'm a comic collector by any stretch.

Just sticking to the one collecting hobby has made it feel more manageable and not a money sieve.
>>
>>5590453
Just like toys, those one likes I guess.
>>
>>5590505
Why?
>>
>>5590580
I'll admit some of that knee jerk response was to my friends who buy anything hard to find or "rare" Nintendo with little to no investment beyond it's "rare"
It just seems like the worse reasons to be in a hobby.
That and video games have evolved to a digital media and there is no real advantage of owning the physical game. It be like collecting 8 tracks or cassettes for music.
>>
>>5590610
Digital isn't evolution but, looking at your post, there's no way you're ever gonna understand that.
>>
>>5590576
I mean, toys are physical things to collect and display though

Video games aren't physical
Of course, I assume many of you mean the boxes etc.
But do you display these?
>>
I use to collect dvds, now blu-rays.
>>
>>5590610
>video games have evolved to a digital media and there is no real advantage of owning the physical game.
>no real advantage of owning the physical game
How about the advantage of actually owning the game as opposed to just renting it from an online vendor like Steam.

>>5590699
>Video games aren't physical
Video games are as physical as books.
You could use the same argument for 'why do physical libraries exist in 2016'.
>>
>>5590313
I collect toys, video games, books, movies and nicknacks.
>>
>>5590703
>Video games are as physical as books.
I understand that, and I personally wouldn't find the benefit of having a "collection" of books.

Just my opinion though I guess...I used to want to buy all of the Calvin and Hobbes books for example, so I can relate. But I was much younger then. Now, I see no point.

Books and video game boxes can barely be displayed well. They aren't like toys. They are media made to be enjoyed, not to display. I haven't found many displays full of video game boxes that look good. And if you are collecting them without planning on displaying them, I also do not see the point.

Just buy the shit you want to play...Why call it "collecting"? I suppose this implies you're buying shit that you do not want to play.
>>
>>5590313
I collect various masks from foreign countries, Kamen Rider figures, robot figures, monster figures, gunpla, and random merch from tokusatsu.
>>
>>5590718
Also to add this doesn't mean that I wouldn't buy or own books or videogames

Buying them is different than "collecting" them.

I also feel that a "collection" implies that it can be completed or at least has some kind of theme, you know? So unless you are buying specific video games like say, a "Final Fantasy game collection" or a "GBA game collection", I wouldn't even call it a collection personally, just a mash up of stuff.
>>
>>5590313
I collect keychains of series(es?) that I like, as well as these blind bad Durarara mini notepads.

Also hats and artbooks.
>>
I collect Patches (as souvenirs) and artwork.
>>
>>5590718
>>5590724
>Why call it "collecting"? I suppose this implies you're buying shit that you do not want to play.
>Buying them is different than "collecting" them.
>I also feel that a "collection" implies that it can be completed or at least has some kind of theme

You have it wrong anon.

If you buy enough shit, whether you intend to play it or not, it's going to become a collection.
I have a 'collection' of xbox 360 games I've picked up over the years.
They're worth jack shit now that the Xbox One is a thing, so selling them would be pointless, and I still like to play some of them now and again.
I keep them on a bookshelf. It doesn't look terrible.
>>
>>5590724
>>5590718
Guy from earlier who collects retro stuff, I know what you mean, but at the same time I'd consider my 30+ consoles to be a collection. There's a difference between just buying + playing games and collecting them, I think.

Collecting usually focuses on original hardware, boxed copies, stuff like that. Maybe collecting isn't exactly the right word for it, as like you say it does have a kind of air of completion-ism to it. However, I'd still consider myself a toy collector, and I only buy things I like / want to handle.
>>
>>5590733
>>5590735
Ya, fair enough, more or less I'm kind of arguing over semantic, but good stuff
>>
>>5590718
>I understand that, and I personally wouldn't find the benefit of having a "collection" of books.
There's no benefit in any kind of collection. If you like to collect something then the collection makes sense. That's everything there's to understand about any collection.
>>
>>5590724
>>5590718
>collections only matter if you can display them
You sound like a Transfag.

Not all collectors put all their shit up for everyone to see. Lots of collectors just put their shit away when not in use.
>>
>>5590313
>recently fucking warhammer stuff.
I left warhammer for collecting toys, and it's a much cheaper and more fun hobby for me.

How exactly do you "Collect" warhammer though? Do you try to have X amount of unit Y for asthetics or do you mean just broadly having an army to play with?

I've had the same five knights for playing 40k for a couple of years now and that's all i've needed since i got out of getting anything new, but i wouldn't call that a collection since i use that to play the game.
>>
File: pointingwood.png (428 KB, 890x470) Image search: [Google]
pointingwood.png
428 KB, 890x470
Why is the word 'collect' so difficult to comprehend? To collect you are gathering, accumulating, putting a bunch of relevant shit together in one pile. I have a bunch of books on a shelf, it is a collection of books. I have a stack of video games, it is a collection of video games. I have a grouping of toys on my desk, it is a collection of toys. I have some lint in my bellybutton, it is a collection of bellybutton lint and I like the smell. I have an ass load of digital video games on Steam... It is my fucking Steam collection.

Fucking Hell this thread makes me feel fucking ancient.

I suppose 'collection' is a 'meme' now or it's a pronoun that we've been using incorrectly or fucking whatever.

Fuck it all.
>>
>>5590453
I collect Genesis games, they come in durable cases and aren't price gouged like snes games. Also a few oddities and collectors editions. There is some overlap in that I have some video game figures
>>
File: Grand_army_formation.jpg (208 KB, 1800x767) Image search: [Google]
Grand_army_formation.jpg
208 KB, 1800x767
Star Wars and Nintendo
>>
>>5590703
>How about the advantage of actually owning the game
So it can get lost?
Stolen?
Destroyed by natural elements?
Have that unseen luck that your disc becomes damaged?
Both have the same amount of pros and cons in the department of "losing" them
>>
>>5590313
Holy shit OP, this sounds like my friend to a T. Only, he also collects amiibos, though that could count as toys or video games so whatever.

I collect toys, but I also collect Pokemon cards. I still have the ones from when I was a kid in a binder. I also sort of have a thing for tea pots/tea cups/tea sets. Especially asian ones.
>>
>>5591353
The trick behind it is that there's this phenomenal thing in the english language called "context" and it helps to delineate the meaning of specific phrases that may, to an outsider of the language or a native speaker of low intelligence, cause confusion.

If -contextually- you can't discern the difference between bellybutton lint and hobby collections such as toys or comics, and assume the word is a "meme" that a lay person outside of this circle may not understand, that might be an issue that you need to take up in a personal journey to better yourself.
>>
>>5591353
Collection has more than one meaning. You can say "I have a collection of wood in my backyard" but that doesn't imply that you gather pieces of wood as a hobby or for fun.

"I'm currently collecting toys, comics, video games and recently fucking warhammer stuff" implies that OP is doing that out of fun or as a hobby, and that's what people are responding too and curious about.

You're the one that doesn't seem to grasp what people are actually saying.

Us using the word 'collection' and 'collecting' things in a hobby context, which is almost entirely the subject of this board, is not a 'meme'. Also if you legitimately collect lint in your belly button as a hobby then you really need to go outside more.

Why did /v/ bother coming here?
>>
File: digital-ownership.jpg (72 KB, 600x300) Image search: [Google]
digital-ownership.jpg
72 KB, 600x300
>>5590703
>How about the advantage of actually owning the game as opposed to just renting it from an online vendor like Steam.
1. most PC games are DRM free.
2. system games while tied to an account in general are also tied to a system and in some cases can be tied to multiple systems
3. that advantage is canceled out by all the ways the disc can get lost or destroyed leaving you with no way to recover your lost game without cost of replacement

>You could use the same argument for 'why do physical libraries exist in 2016'.
Wow you are either really old and/or out of touch

Many of them are overhauling to a digital format.
http://the-digital-reader.com/2015/08/05/why-college-libraries-are-going-bookless/
http://the-digital-reader.com/2015/08/05/why-college-libraries-are-going-bookless/
http://college.usatoday.com/2014/09/01/a-library-without-books-yep-its-a-thing/
many still are also just closing down in general because we are in a digital age where Wikipedia is equal to Britannica in reliability, however one is free and possibly always at your fingertips while the other ages and can become dated in time. That's not even touching shelf space concerns.

The world has change in such a way that most physical media's will not be at the volume they are now. I say in another decade disc based medias will greatly shrink in general what with better networking and streaming devices being constantly made and improved
>>
>>5591277
I've discovered most people with that mindset don't even play use the shit they horde -sorry- collect
>>
File: 151023_001.jpg (361 KB, 960x1280) Image search: [Google]
151023_001.jpg
361 KB, 960x1280
Toys and guns. I have a shit ton of books, but I don't consider that a collection since they're pretty much all worthless mass market paperbacks. And I'm just starting a bit of an artbook collection, too.
>>
>>5591420
>Many of them are overhauling to a digital format.
This. My local one looks like a computer lab.
They had a big sale to toss there old books and dump what they couldn't sell to a local book store in the area. Im sure physical everything will always exist to some extent but we are going to hit a market where most of it is a very niche hobby.
>>
>>5591423
What sort of artbooks, anon?
>>
>>5591423
>but I don't consider that a collection since they're pretty much all worthless mass market paperbacks.
it's a collection dont let those try hards tell you otherwise. Most shit (books toys and game included) don't appreciate to any good value.
>>
>>5590313
I collect toys and trading cards, but I don't really count games.
I collect them by proxy, because I play them, but I don't collect them just for the sake of collecting, I buy them to play and eventually it amasses into a collection.
>>
>>5590580
Because GET OFF MY BOARD /V/ REEEEE!
>>
File: download (72).jpg (13 KB, 267x189) Image search: [Google]
download (72).jpg
13 KB, 267x189
>>5591428
Tacticool little girl artbooks of course! Just got the Little Armory book, and I grabbed the Strike Witches and US Special Forces artbooks off TOM during their last sale. Plus I have a few CLAMP artbooks from high school.

Next up is either finishing the the militaries of the world books, grabbing a few Neko No Dayan books, or maybe Oyari Ashito's books since I did love Littlewitch Romanesque.
>>
File: mylifebasically.png (4 MB, 1873x2933) Image search: [Google]
mylifebasically.png
4 MB, 1873x2933
Some photos are mine some are random google.
Usually I wouldn't consider fashion items collectible but with lolita fashion its very much a collecting hobby (at least for main pieces). Girls will hunt for years to get a specific dress and re-sell value is good on dresses and sometimes can increase past retail value (like popular figures do).

I'd say my main categories of collections are /vr/ , /cgl/ , and /toy/. I also love crafting and art stuff but there isn't really a board for crafts and /ic/ is too busy sucking andrew loomis' dick for me.
>>
>>5590506

I have the rotating cycle as well. I wasn't collecting too many toys recently except the occasional nendo preorder, and now I'm in a huge toy kick.
>>
I'm almost exclusively a TMNT guy. So I collect toys, comics/books, art, etc. & the bulk of it relates to that particular brand. Aside from the odd anime or Nintendo figure. I don't really give a shit about that stuff when it comes to other series'.

I have a fairly large amount of games (Nintendo only) but it doesn't feel like the rest. My sole interest is in the actual playing experience, I don't care about their aesthetics, display value, variations, "the hunt", completing a series, I just grab what I want. It's not the same mentality that I approach other things with so I don't really identify as a "collector" when it comes to that medium. There's no real obsessive element.
>>
File: wolviewall.jpg (199 KB, 728x827) Image search: [Google]
wolviewall.jpg
199 KB, 728x827
>>5591353
>>5591417
I think it's weird that there seems to be more than one person in this thread who thinks a collection can only be that if you're collecting something really specific, like Transformers or just Wolverines.
I just collect toys in general, of most anything that catches my eye.

I also collect comics, books, and video games. All things i collect are my hobbies, because i enjoy using them.

>>5591420
Digital media a shit.
I'm not a fan of no longer being able to ever legally own something, all because the copyright owner decided to pull it from a server.
Sometimes digital is better, because it lets the product linger, never being rare and always being able available to buy... but most physical shit in general is that way too and i can attain it for cheaper than if i were to be able to buy it from some server.

Of course, i rarely buy anything digital, because the quality is usually shitty compared to the physical.
>>
>>5590313
I have amassed different things but I would really only consider myself a toy collector.

Like, I've got a bunch of magic cards. but that's because I've been playing for a few years. I wouldn't consider myself a collector actively looking for new stuff to throw in a binder. I just build decks and play them

Same with videogames. I have a bunch because I just pick up what I want to play. but I don't collect the games for the sake of a collection.

Comics as well.
>>
File: Old-Computer.jpg (181 KB, 1240x757) Image search: [Google]
Old-Computer.jpg
181 KB, 1240x757
>>5590699

i'm >>5591455 and I really love /vr/ stuff. I understand those who emulate and such, I have no problem with it.
I always go for boxed games when I can and I do want to get all of the boxes I can for games that I don't have the boxes for. Oddly though I dont really care about the boxes for bits and bobs like consoles, controllers, etc (maybe because they dont have nice art? idk). I display my boxes on my shelf where I store my consoles.

There is something about playing old games on a CRT TV that is just so freaking cozy, its really the best. I guess you can compare this to how some really prefer the "feel" of a psychical book vs digital. Sometimes a game might also have a feature that is hard to emulate, like House of the Dead 2 for dreamcast with its light guns. You can get light guns for the computer (my brother has them) but they are really shoddy imo.

I also just love the aesthetic of old technology. If I was more tech savvy I would collect retro computers or commodore 64. That shit gets my non-existent dick so hard.
>>
>>5591480
>I'm not a fan of no longer being able to ever legally own something
You never did in the first place and I repeat most are DRM free which means you do in all terms "own it" to backup and store wherever you please

>all because the copyright owner decided to pull it from a server.
I can only think of one free PSN demo that did that everything else stays even if it's no longer for purchase and if you get it on your hard drive you can preserve it and crack it with less effort.

>but most physical shit in general is that way too
not always. One major issue is once the physical stops production you can hit a point where the only options are worn used copies or high priced "new" condition ones.

>i can attain it for cheaper than if i were to be able to buy it from some server.
If you have email alert for sales this isn't the case to any good degree. You can get many games for single dollars or less during those sales, it is all but impossible for that to happen or encounter in brick and mortar environment. And they do deflate digitally price as well on console rather hard. Many 360 and PS3 games are under 15 and many of them you can't easily find physically anymore.

>Of course, i rarely buy anything digital,
it shows

>because the quality is usually shitty compared to the physical.
this has got to be troll on all shorts of levels
Digital doesn't put stress on the disc reader, Digital loads faster.Day 1 Digital means you get it preinstalled ready to play at midnight eastern(so 9pm for me) so no lines and no waiting for it to install from disc. On top of all that it's tied to an account so I can recover it to anywhere and again, most don't have DRM or it's nonevasive. This is also assuming Im taking total legal measures on all digital items.

If you like Physical that's fine but don't lie this hard to yourself about it's outdated measures.
>>
>>5590623
you know the best way to make your point clearly moot is to insult others instead of debating the point, right?
>>
>>5591551
You can't debate with digitalfags.
>>
>>5591568
Right that's why the anti-digital anon(s) here are name calling and Fallacist's Fallacing while the pro-digital anon(s) are making a clear stance on their argument.
>>
>>5590313
>Do you guys collect toys and only toys?
pretty much
I have collections of books, games, retro games I grew up with and TV series but that was more a byproduct of enjoying them rather than adding them to the library or collection.
Toys are the only thing I take an active effort in exploring and displaying.
>>
>>5590313
I used to collect TVs, radios and computers
I collect guns now
>>
>>5591578
Bitch all you want, you're still wrong.
>>
File: nobait.png (3 KB, 225x224) Image search: [Google]
nobait.png
3 KB, 225x224
>>5591599
not anon but I haven't bitch at all about digital one way or the other. No one has really. Best we got is >>5591480 in terms of bitching about anything related to it.
I get you want attention but try something that isn't shitposting
>>
>>5591480
>I just collect toys in general, of most anything that catches my eye.
Nothing wrong with that at all, that's what essentially everyone on this board does.

>>5591484
This guy knows what's up.

There's a different between incidentally having a 'collection'/large amount of something and being a collector of something.
>>
>>5591604
>I get you want attention
I'm not the one who dropped the digital bait.
>>
>>5591507
>I can only think of one free PSN demo that did that everything else stays even if it's no longer for purchase
Actually, i was talking about being able to own it, as in buy it. IE, TMNT arcade no longer being an option to own. Thus, i'd have to do something shady to get it.
>One major issue is once the physical stops production you can hit a point where the only options are worn used copies or high priced "new" condition ones.
And that's why physical is better, because something like TMNT Arcade disappears forever from the server, but if production ends, you still can buy the physical copies that still exist.
>this has got to be troll on all shorts of levels
I wasn't strictly talking about video games. Use a little common sense, because quality issues would apply to video or music. So the rare times i buy digital is for when i buy a game online.
> it is all but impossible for that to happen or encounter in brick and mortar environment
Places like Book Off do this all the time, or going to flea markets, or garage sales, even goodwill stores.
I think you're a little closed off

>>5591673
I think the names for that are active and passive collectors.
I don't think I'd ever consider myself passive for anything, not even for books, since i usually read them more than once.
I think people who buy just to buy, i think, are more passive, especially those who just put things up on the BST when they grow bored of them. But they're technically not passive collectors... and i guess not much of a collector if they grow that quickly bored of their stuff.
>>
I collect hot wheels, figma, perfume, skateboards and real cars. Maybe headphones... I hadn't realized that till just now, I'm counting 7 pairs laying around in my room.
>>
>>5590313
I guess i collect games too, but I sell them when im done with them.

I also collect stickers, but those are a minor focus
>>
File: gintoki.gif (3 MB, 350x197) Image search: [Google]
gintoki.gif
3 MB, 350x197
>>5590313
>tfw you collect movies, video games, comics, anime, and manga
>tfw you collect toys and statueshit from the aforementioned various media

Being in multi-fandoms are kill
>>
File: Dredd3.jpg (216 KB, 636x805) Image search: [Google]
Dredd3.jpg
216 KB, 636x805
Is buying volumes of comics to keep up in a series you're interested in "collecting"? If so, I'm currently collecting Hellblazer, Judge Dredd, SAGA, Invincible, Southern Bastards and 100 Bullets. Ongoing series are the worst. Running out of space on my shelves for them.

When I was younger I used to collect 40k shit, became way too expensive for how small they were though. Figures are a decent compromise if I like the series/designs.

>Invincible figures when, Kirkman?
>actually decent Hellblazer figures when, DC?
>Transmetropolitan figures never
>The Boys figures never
>Sandman statues only
>Fables statues only
>Preacher statues or shitty old figures only
>>
>>5591400
>So it can get lost?
You could just as easily have your hard drive bricked in a freak accident. I don't lose my stuff.
>Stolen?
I don't live anywhere near people of color.
>Destroyed by natural elements?
From sitting on my shelf in a cool, dry environment?
>Have that unseen luck that your disc becomes damaged?
In 20 years of gaming I have never had a disc stop working for me.
>>
>buy DLC on console
>years later servers with DLC are long gone
>decide to replay game
>console HD breaks
>you'll never replay the DLC part

>buy a game
>buy DLC
>decide to sell the game
>can't sell the DLC

Yeah, digital can suck my dick. Physical will always be superior.
>>
File: 1454635370731.png (92 KB, 310x279) Image search: [Google]
1454635370731.png
92 KB, 310x279
>>5591906
>>5591893
Talk about it on /v/.
>>
>>5591915
Tell that to the dumbass who started the conversation.
>>
>>5591919
sup /v/, how you enjoying your age of drm and where everything good requires money nowadays?
>>
>>5591933

senpai you can still get games for free. drm didn't stop shit. Certain toys are harder to get than games
>>
>>5591439
>I collect them by proxy, because I play them, but I don't collect them just for the sake of collecting, I buy them to play and eventually it amasses into a collection.

Yeah this, that is exactly what I meant by my confusion about "collecting" video games, because they have a purpose other than collecting, so I feel like saying you collect video games implies games you don't intend to play, but to fit a theme like "retro games", "rareware games", etc.

Just the broad term "collecting video games", to me, doesn't sound specific or focused enough to mean anything to me. Sounds more like you play video games. Collecting with purpose and focus is another story than just buying.
>>
>>5591944
Anyways me again yeah I noticed the point I was trying to make has been said anyways a bunch in this thread.
>>5591673
>There's a different between incidentally having a 'collection'/large amount of something and being a collector of something.

So I'm wondering to all those people who say they "collect" video games, do you actually actively hunt out specific games purely to add to a collection, or do you simply buy the video games you want to play?
>>
>>5591933
Least you can pirate a game.
Still can't pirate figma link.
>>
>>5591946
>So I'm wondering to all those people who say they "collect" video games, do you actually actively hunt out specific games purely to add to a collection, or do you simply buy the video games you want to play?
I'm not one of them, but i've seen that there're people who do that with rare/older games, like some of the posters in this thread.

I can completely see how that'd be something interesting to actually collect, since it'd be like tracking down antiques, and how finding and owning one of them could be fun, even if you can't play it anymore.
>>
>>5591957
Yep, I can see how that would be fun and interesting to collect too, just wanted to clarify that people meant something like that over something like "Yeah I collect the new Call of Duties, Fallouts, Division, Battlefront, and Destiny. :^)"
>>
I collect panties from women I have sexual intercourse with.
>>
File: 40k32.png (80 KB, 440x400) Image search: [Google]
40k32.png
80 KB, 440x400
>>5591986

must be hard to expand that collection
>>
>>5591986
do you have to pay them extra for the panties?
>>
>>5591933
>buzzwords
>>
>>5591718
>Actually, i was talking about being able to own it, as in buy it. IE, TMNT arcade no longer being an option to own. Thus, I'd have to do something shady to get it.
That happens in the physical world too, products gets pulled or destroyed with the same "shady" outcomes acquiring it again.
>because something like TMNT Arcade disappears forever from the server, but if production ends, you still can buy the physical copies that still exist.
If you bought it before it was pulled it's still there and many cases still for download. Physical copies that still exist for games can lead to headaches like what happen to Earthbound where the secondary spikes to such insane levels that it's cost is beyond reason. Also Digital media has made it to where things like the lost TMNT arcade can be downloaded and played without effort yes you can't buy it but you can experience it all the same without having to dive pawnshops/thrift markets in hopes to find it cheap. That's digital's strongest strength it will always be there, it can never truly be destroyed or removed.
>I wasn't strictly talking about video games. Use a little common sense
same here and same to you.
The digital copy of Force Awakens unlock 24 hours earlier than the physical release, most streaming sites and digital purchase offer weeks in advance over physical with the only 'disadvantage' being you don't have to gets discs to put in or switch.
>Places like Book Off do this all the time, or going to flea markets, or garage sales, even goodwill stores.
not with any control or volume to it. You are pretty much on a wing and a prayer that they have what you are looking for where on the digital market it's ensured to happen in the comfort of your own home.
>I think you're a little closed off
Honestly that's the impression I'm getting from you towards digital, in an early post you claim you hardly use it but call it shit and say it's a worse option when you haven't even given it a clear chance.
>>
File: mint in box bedroom.jpg (276 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
mint in box bedroom.jpg
276 KB, 800x600
>>5591944
>I feel like saying you collect video games implies games you don't intend to play
When you say you collect toys, does that mean you only keep them mint in box?
Why are you people being so weird about what collecting means? People can and do all sorts of shit with their collections, even if they're giant faggots who make their bedrooms look like crappy comic book stores

>>5592142
>products gets pulled or destroyed with the same "shady" outcomes acquiring it again.
Geez, you're really reaching. ebay and craigslist exist and the only thing i know of that can only be obtained through illegal means after being pulled are those electric cars from the early 00s. Stuff like those DJango dolls? ebay/craigslist and NECA, who actually gave them away.
>If you bought it before it was pulled it's still there
IF you bought it when it was up. Otherwise, illegal means or fucking buying someone's account.
>same here and same to you.
>The digital copy of Force Awakens
wut? You've got a really shit memory. I was referring to quality.
>the only 'disadvantage'
no extras. poor image quality.

>not with any control or volume to it. You are pretty much on a wing and a prayer
You mean, the same thing as waiting for a sale to happen online and hope the game you want is selected for that sale?

>you haven't even given it a clear chance.
Wut? I buy video games from there, so what other chance is there? Just because i don't like dealing with crappy quality? Because i actually like owning the product? That i like jumping through fewer hoops? I don't like the idea of being at the mercy of a company who can decide one day to stop support or go bankrupt. Not everyone should go down with the ship when it starts sinking.
And you're being really hopefull that they make it DRM-less if something is shuttered is, because a lot of license holders dont want that to happen. Switching to another service, just to continue being allowed to use what you paid for is more likely.
>>
>>5592758
Kind of funny that if the guy tried to sell those toys in your pic, they wouldn't even be considered worth the price of shipping to send them.
>>
>>5592758
Im gonna regret getting in this
Technically it's not legal to sell your purchased video games
That might be why anon put shady in quotes
>no extras.poor image quality.
Actually digital services for movies have all the extras and more and some give them out free whether you bought the disc or not as an incentive to increase your chances to buy it. And quality is the exact same unless you are streaming it which neither of you are talking.
>I buy video games from there, so what other chance is there?
again reading the posts I think anon was talking about no control what shows up there or ensuring a chance at it. Digital can't run out of copies if there is a 80% weekend sale unless they make it that way, and even then they usually rotate the sale items meaning you will get it without issue.
>And you're being really hopefull that they make it DRM-less
most on PC do, and more are joining that wagon.
In games EA and Ubi are the most resistant to that and they are starting to suffer for that, I wager they will rethink how they treat buying customers and DRM soon.
And on a random note this part of the debate gets rather silly if we are talking consoles because once support is pulled you get what happen to the original Xbox and easy soft modding leads to being able to own the whole library licenses be damn. 360s are already showing up like that and I wager PS3 will follow suit. In terms of retro play or what ever you want to call the 7th gen a few years from now it will likely be the easiest yet just to own the system and enjoy
That said can we all agree to disagree? I doubt views on pro digital is going to make your collection vanish nor pro physical is going to make digital go anywhere.
>>
>>5593486
>Technically it's not legal to sell your purchased video games
This thread is getting ridiculous.
>>
>Do you guys collect toys and only toys?
Nowadays, mostly yeah. When I started collecting, I was also into comic books and video games and shit. Overtime, I just started seeing comics as a waste of money (4 bucks for 20 pages was just a bad deal imo), and I just stopped enjoying video games as much. The exchange rate was getting better at the time as well, so that made it a little easier to collect more. Eventually as I started getting from different lines, I found the different kinds of joints and engineering going into each figure more and more interesting.

So, yeah, mostly just toys. I've gotten to spending about 150-200 a month now on pre-orders alone, snagging good deals on older toys when I can.

>Anything else
I'd like to start collecting Final Fantasy and Kingdom Hearts games and their different versions. Black labels, sealed, older collector's editions and whatnot. Pretty much the only series I still enjoy as a whole.
>>
I used to heavily collect vidya snes-ps2 era(and pc). PS2 mainly because it was current at the time. I really only collected as a byproduct of wanting to play and would share with friends. I still do.

At the time no one cared about the snes or ps1 and i was able to get earthbound, chrono trigger, etc for like 10-15$ each. I just wanted to play them as i didnt really have alot of snes games growing up. I still don't want to sell them as there is just a certain cool with having ancient stuff that is exactly as it was, like going to a museum that has the actual west batmobile and allowing you to drive it. although gog has been a lifesaver for most games there are some where the source code has been lost eg daggerfall and although dosbox works it introduces new bugs and quirks which were not there. but prior to gog, home of the underdogs was my home url. they had such kickass abandonware until devs started to find value in their back catalog.
>>
>>5593486
>Technically it's not legal to sell your purchased video games
lololololololololololololol
>Actually digital services for movies have all the extras
hah
Most don't, which brings up the fact that there's a fuck ton of services, making you need to have a lot of extra crap to DL and have accounts for.
I prefer my "all-in-one" luxury box that isn't the 2010 equivalent of RealVideo's blocky mess.
>Digital can't run out of copies if there is a 80% weekend sale unless they make it that way
Like i said, this is basically the only time i'll buy something digital. I'm not much of a gamer anymore though.
>I wager they will rethink how they treat buying customers and DRM soon.
Not really, especially with Sony stepping into hiding shit behind pay walls. Only small time PC devs are able to play nice, because that's how they get more people interested. Once you get into bigger franchises, you're stepping into controlled zones.

> it will likely be the easiest yet just to own the system and enjoy
Easy being a code word for "if you're a total nerd" about it. Right now i can just buy what i want and play it. Needing to look around and finding all that info is a big fucking drag.
Besides, i like to show my support by giving my money so they can continue making stuff i like and support what i own, but i guess this isn't applicable to buying old shit 2nd hand.

>views on pro digital
The way i see digital right now, it's like Betamax vs VHS, DIXV vs DVD, or BD vs HD-DVD. I ain't gonna support shit until there' a clear winner, then i don't have to worry about needing various services ad accounts, use a third party player, and other benefits from there being just one standard.

>>5593549
>not collecting comics because you enjoy them
I still buy floppies for series i like, but i mainly only buy trades. I double dip with the floppies because i dont want my stuff to be canceled.
I'd never be a one hobby kind of guy, unless i receive some sort of brain injury.
>>
Some retro vidya stuff, but that slowed down hard when the boom hit for that about 2011 and prices skyrocketed.

Now only games that have a personal value, like ones I play via emulators and wind up adoring, like demon's crest, or things I used to rent way back in the 90's.

Even toys I kinda collect just going through the motions, like DBZ SHF I just buy now cause I know if I don't prices could jump and I'll at least get my money back on them.
>>
>>5593704
Oh, it's not a very active thing, but I have gone on kicks where I buy up a lot of old dead card games I used to play, kind of in a sense that I want to build up a store of them so if I ever get anyone interested in trying one I will have enough to build at least two decks of any type.

I recently started doing this for the old yu yu hakusho card game. Just the first 3 sets, before it turned to dogshit.

I'm only about 9 cards away from having enough of everything to have a preserved double playset of that game.

I'd totally do that for the old DBZ card game if not for that still having a money rich rabid band of diehards that essentially absorbed all the damn shit still floating around and drove prices sky high for decent stuff.

Some of them have HUGE hoards of valuable stuff from that game.
Thread replies: 97
Thread images: 18

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.