[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Mcfarlane toys thread, whats your fave Anon?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /toy/ - Toys

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 17
tempted to pick this one up
>>
>>5585118
I don't think McFarlane should be able to call themselves a toy company anymore.
>>
>>5585136
why is that
>>
Their detail has remained but their durability has turned to shit.
>>
I've got that clear blue necro cop chase figure. Bought it back when I was on a translucent figure kick. I think it's pretty rare
>>
File: Curse 2 Spawn.jpg (178 KB, 1200x994) Image search: [Google]
Curse 2 Spawn.jpg
178 KB, 1200x994
>>5585167
pffft, McFarlane Toys have never been known for their durability since the line first began.

Definitely not a toyline for little kids and hamhands.
Amazing figures otherwise, but i prefer their articulated stuff... even though i would pay up for some smaller stuff if they started looking like this again.
>>
File: rscn5786.jpg (809 KB, 2448x3264) Image search: [Google]
rscn5786.jpg
809 KB, 2448x3264
>>5585255
I had two spawn toys as a kid.

They went through some shit and besides missing accessories still look pretty much how I got them.

Pic related is one of the one I had.
>>
any news about those titanfall figures and the new anime line?
>>
File: Redcap Kaneki.jpg (176 KB, 1277x1920) Image search: [Google]
Redcap Kaneki.jpg
176 KB, 1277x1920
>>5585286
Anime line are statues.

Which, I guess, isn't bad because even the "articulated" McFarlane figures are pretty much statues with a few shitty points of articulation that are hardly useful.
>>
File: color tops ass.jpg (2 MB, 3024x4032) Image search: [Google]
color tops ass.jpg
2 MB, 3024x4032
>>5585293
actually, McFarlane has said that their new color tops lines that will feature the anime figures will have about 15points of articulation, which usually means they'll have 20+, since they usually count revoltech-type joints as one inspite of having 3 points of articulation.

So why does McFarlane have their figures looking like super dynamically posed statueshit? McFarlane just does shit like that all the time and hopefully means they can pull off those poses when they add the joints to the 3d sculpts.
>>
>>5585304
Ah, okay. Thanks for the correction. If it's articulated and it's not the typical western figureshit where it has poor articulation, I might get it. Not sure.
>>
File: walking dead zombs.jpg (30 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
walking dead zombs.jpg
30 KB, 480x360
>>5585308
>not the typical western figureshit where it has poor articulation
Don't get your hopes up then.
McFarlane is a firm believer in beautiful figures shouldn't be marred by joints, so they'll leave more of the sculpt intact, which has always intruded on poses.
>>
>>5585314
I am not a fan of statueshit but don't hate it, I love articulated figures.

What I hate is the middle-ground. I think companies should pick something and stick with it. If you're gonna add articulation, really add articulation, otherwise don't bother.

Statues with a few swivels and hinges that really have no use are the most hated thing for me when it comes to collecting.
>>
File: noble team warthog.jpg (99 KB, 844x600) Image search: [Google]
noble team warthog.jpg
99 KB, 844x600
>>5585321
middle ground is best ground.

You get a lot of unf and they're still fun to play with.
>>
I got the Skybound exclusive Negan figure. It was definitely not worth what Skybound charges for their exclusives, but it's a pretty good figure. Just would have preferred it cost the same as one of the average comic figures.

I also have a comic Carl Grimes on the way now. After that I think I'm done with the McFarlane Walking Dead line, I just wanted someone to go with Negan. Unless I can find the recent comic Rick for cheap-ish.
>>
Scourge black variant is still among my all time favorites to this day.
>>
>>5585293
Looks like shit.
>>
>>5585328
Man I will never find a decent priced warthog online. I keep hoping one of these days I will spot one in a thrift store or a yard sale. Considering the closest thrift stores in my area being packed with Hispanics almost 24/7 I will be more likely to find one at a yard sale.
>>
>>5585273

The original first few waves were pretty damn durable, it wasn't until they started going into high detail graphic sculpts did McFarlane's stuff start becoming super brittle pieces of plastic time bombs. I have tons of my own old McFar's stuff from when I was a kid and a good lot of em have snapped limbs and the like because they used some really hard but brittle plastics for the joints. The detailing and paintwork on these guys skyrocketed in quality, but it was at the cost of articulation and solid construction.

>>5585321
>Statues with a few swivels and hinges that really have no use are the most hated thing for me when it comes to collecting.

That is quite possibly my biggest pet peeve in toy collecting. I don't mind limited articulation in a cool looking toy...as long as that articulation is USEFUL. What's the point of putting a swivel in a figure's calf if no matter which way you swivel it the toy loses the ability to stand on it's own? What's the point of that wrist swivel when the figure's arm is literally locked into position in some bizarre and extreme pose? And V-cut hips with no thigh-swivel are just useless.

The sad part is, there are some McFar toys out there with FANTASTIC articulation. He is capable of doing that without completely ruining the sculpt. But the thing is, he just likes making pretty statues...which is fine. Just don't call them action figures.
>>
File: samurai-spawn-1.jpg (354 KB, 1400x1800) Image search: [Google]
samurai-spawn-1.jpg
354 KB, 1400x1800
This thing is still my favorite, 16 years later.
>>5585136
I don't know, McFarlane has changed a lot in the last 4 or 5 years. The Mcstatues thing is still around, but I think the death of KB toys, Sam Goody, suncoast, etc killed that era. Look at the Halo and walking dead lines and they're very much toys. Not the best toys, but they aren't statues by any means. People here still seem to think stuff like the spawn line is still going on and things are the same as they where in 2010. The only statue stuff they do now are larger scale things, and their sports lines(and those aren't really meant for the average figure collector here).

It'll be interesting to see where they go with the Red wave stuff.
>>
File: mm6_warrior_photo_04_dp.jpg (63 KB, 600x900) Image search: [Google]
mm6_warrior_photo_04_dp.jpg
63 KB, 600x900
Have this guy from my childhood
he's not bad
>>
I really like that Crocodile looking mother fucker from the Egyptian line, had a cobra for a tongue. I mean, it was basically a statue, I think the arms could move a bit but uh... yeah. Shit, might pull him out of storage and put him back on the shelf.
The Cy-gor's or whatever the gorilla was called were also pretty dope.
>>
>>5585707
Problem with McFarlane is he got really anal over time about "hiding articulation" and so he started to gimp articulation on anything where it couldn't be hidden. Even back then he preferred to give better articulation when it could be hidden well. That's why Samurai Spawn moves better than some less armored looking designs.

If you listen to him in interviews you can see how fanatical he is about this.
>>
File: 153993200632076811_90445b0cc84e.jpg (120 KB, 600x900) Image search: [Google]
153993200632076811_90445b0cc84e.jpg
120 KB, 600x900
This bad motherfucker was the high water mark. Honorable mention goes to the Sleepy Hollow box set. If not for the rotting legs that thing would be tops.
>>
>>5585995
that looks cool. what kind of articulation does it have?
I've only ever had >>5585707
>>
File: mcfarlane is crazy random.jpg (137 KB, 795x682) Image search: [Google]
mcfarlane is crazy random.jpg
137 KB, 795x682
>>5586327
It's very intrinsically articulated, but it's almost random in what limb is given a joint and how it's done.
I'm not sure where mine is, so i can't really tell you specifically how it's articulated, but it is very poseable. So it'll at least give you current ML range.
>>
File: IMG_8785.jpg (89 KB, 800x533) Image search: [Google]
IMG_8785.jpg
89 KB, 800x533
>>5585328
>>5585588
I knoe that feel anon, I still missing Noble Six (the one that comes with the Moonguse is the one I want to get) and Emile (He is really pricey the last time I see him) to complete my Noble team
I'm still sad that they never released the Falcon
>>
>>5585304
That's literally Arnie.
>>
>>5586702
Can't unsee.
>>
>>5586702
>it's called connor
pottery
>>
File: mandarinspawn.jpg (308 KB, 800x586) Image search: [Google]
mandarinspawn.jpg
308 KB, 800x586
This guy here, still have one on my main disply shelf.
>>
>>5587223
>those porcelain sun-masks

Lovely.
>>
>>5586696

Yeah, I wanted to use the Falcon with G.I. Joes.
>>
>>5585588
I've got a 'Hog, without the LAAG.
I had Jorge-and a handful of ODSTs.

Now I just have the goddamn hog.
>>
>>5585995
Agreed. I was going to post this as being my favorite. It's just such an incredible figure.
>>
>>5587223
Oh god, that one is lovely, too. I keep mine in one of those display cases McFarlane put out.
>>
Got the 12-inch version of Dorothy.

Mandarin Spawn is also pretty nice.
>>
>>5585293
>a toy
>useful
>>
>>5592156
Do you legitimately have autism?
>>
The only Mcfarlane figures I own are a few KISS figures and this crappy Scar predator I've had for over 10 years.

You have to wonder what the fuck were they thinking when they had the AvP license.

>give all predators Chopper's blades
>only bother to make Scar, Celtic and Elder, not Chopper

I can see why Randy left them to start Neca.
>>
File: IMG_3277upright.jpg (432 KB, 1200x1600) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3277upright.jpg
432 KB, 1200x1600
Picked up the Buck from the last wave of Halo figures. Not a bad figure to go out on really, even with the restricted articulation.

It's kind of a really bittersweet feeling to know that the line's over, even though it's had some really major issues within the last few years in regards to character selection, the lowered articulation across the board, and the hit or miss QC issues with the tightness of the joints.
Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 17

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.