[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Welcome to the Gunpla/Plamo General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /toy/ - Toys

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 89
File: SD Unicorn Knight.jpg (408 KB, 1024x732) Image search: [Google]
SD Unicorn Knight.jpg
408 KB, 1024x732
Those of you just joining us, please read this guide. Please read it before asking questions as there is a chance it has already been answered there.

For those unfamiliar, "Plamo" is a shortened form of "plastic model." If it's made of plastic, someone can probably help you here.

>"If you're new, you're gonna fuck up. Don't worry! If you're experienced, don't make the new people worry!"

***READ THE GUIDE***

IRC Channel
>Server
Rizon
>Channel
#gunpla

The guide:
https://docs.google.com/document/pub?id=1Tr8UyF2Xg5Ojqw0sxcO7oIG7IIsJPes3lMO5pHZKu5o

And a handy guide to other types of plamo:
http://www.mediafire.com/view/1vf1aw7v91pz5pa/Airfix%20Model%20World%20Specia%20(Scale%20Modelling%20Step-By-Step).pdf
http://www.scalemodelguide.com
Some lineart: http://seesaawiki.jp/nuriesozai/lite/d/MenuBar1
http://gundma.imgur.com/

Paint Matcher: http://scalemodeldb.com/paint

Old thread: >>5567583
>>
File: CeACtvcUUAM5Yc0.jpg (74 KB, 600x925) Image search: [Google]
CeACtvcUUAM5Yc0.jpg
74 KB, 600x925
>>5574727
First for FAGs
>>
Anyone know if the Valkyrie koto kit is any good? It's on sale at hlj and I've never played the game but it looks decent.
>>
>>5574765
http://dalong.net/review/kotobukiya/wal/wal_p.htm
http://www.hobbylink.tv/valkyrie-by-kotobukiya-part-2-review
Seems alright, probably really only worth it the sale price or lower
>>
>tfw no full armour gercoma plamo
>>
If I were to go to Japan could I find back ordered gunpla? Or are they like that because they're out of print everywhere in there ?
>>
The uc hardgraph kits look pretty cool I might pick up the one with the zaku head or gundam arm. No idea how I could could fit it in with 1/100 kits in a diorama
>>
>>5574788
Well, let me break it down for you. GENERALLY, we have access to only a few storefronts that sell directly from Japan to us. In Japan, there are TONS of stores that sell Gunpla--there are even stores that specialize in old and discontinued ones. Backordered DOES mean the same thing for us as it means to Japan--it means they ran out of stock and the manufacturer has yet to put out another run--but there are FAR more options for going out and finding the kit instead of waiting for a restock if you actually live there. Of course, you might have to pay over retail to secure it, but you can probably get it.
>>
>>5574789
You put the arm on the kit.
>>
>>5574760
that Hank Hill ass tho...
>>
I was dumb and posted this last thread after it died. My mechanic collection Mazinger Z has those rubbery parts found on early 2000's Bandai kits. My question is how would I go about painting/topcoating them? all that really needs color are the hands, and I can probably use a marker for the little touch-up work it needs, it's mostly the topcoat that has me worried.
>>
>>5574796
Sucks, but we get wicked articulation.
>>
>>5574796
It's sad that modern figma have shown you can have articulation and still have a great ass and yet so many figures still won't.
>>
>>5574810
Not a lot of people spend money on ass tech R&D
>>
>>5574815

>Rear & Derriere
>>
File: 7966d8d7.jpg (38 KB, 569x472) Image search: [Google]
7966d8d7.jpg
38 KB, 569x472
>http://blog.livedoor.jp/christmas1224/archives/9212184.html
kek
>>
Orphans RG when?
>>
>>5574843
alongside the S2 broadcast.
>>
>>5574791
Thank anon. I hope everything I'm looking for is easy to find then and not jacked in price. Do the small stores allow haggeling ?
>>
>>5574843
>wanting a barbatos RG
nope
>>
>>5574843
When I get my Zabanya MG
>>
>>5574847
I literally cannot tell you, that's on a shop-to-shop basis. I mean, you can try it if you want, but they may not take well to it. It's a risk you're taking.
>>
>>5574694
I wanna order another one with a barbatos, give it the barbies chest, replace the spinner rodi arm with the second astars norm parts. Use the left overs to make an armored astaroth
>>
File: 1459073155631.gif (402 KB, 211x199) Image search: [Google]
1459073155631.gif
402 KB, 211x199
>>5574835
>>5574835
>>
>>5575043
>spinner rodi arm
I am still angry we don't have a Spinner Rodi kit.
>>
>>5575110
Im kinda angry theres no land type graze, roui or a base hg gundam frame
>>
>S2 confirmed for this year

Expect more ibo gunpla.
>>
>>5575154
Ground type hg graze during the interim please
>>
>>5575154
>More grazes and toothpick waisted suits
Nnooooooooooooooooooooo...
>>
>>5574835

dude that's fuckin awesome
>>
>>5575167
Grazes are whatever and I don't really care for them. But honestly, IBO has hit it out of the park for me on most of the other MS, so I can't complain. I can't even remember the last time I liked so many suits from a single Gundam show.
>>
File: PANZER.jpg (189 KB, 1024x817) Image search: [Google]
PANZER.jpg
189 KB, 1024x817
I am a fucking broke ass college student, but I want to get into HMMs. I loved Techno Zoids when I was a kid and these look beautiful. The only problem is, they are hideously expensive even at retail, and furthermore, all the ones I want are long out of production so their prices are high.

So I've begun looking at bootlegs.

So, has anyone ever built a BTModel HMM before? It's still kinda expensive, but I'm desperate and I think it's the only way I'll get to build an HMM anytime soon.
>>
>>5575384
>BTModel HMM
They are not the worst bootlegs. The biggest issue with them is HMM Zoids already have shitty fits for their weapons and extra armor parts. Most the times just a tiny peg. The TB releases have worse tolerances so those parts tend to fall off just by looking at them.

Toss in some model glue and you will likely be fine tho.
>>
>>5575407
Cool, thank you. I'll definitely get ahold of some glue then. One last question though: is the plastic quality/appearance about on par with the real thing?
>>
>>5575384

>I loved Techno Zoids when I was a kid and these look beautiful

They are beautiful. I dunno how much you've looked into them but they're articulated and detailed out the ass. Most surfaces, even if it's covered up by something, has some sort of detail including a core.

Never touched bootlegs, but if they're just as expensive as or "only slightly cheaper" just save for a couple extra months and go for the genuine route. Most sites like amiami restock them frequent enough that they're not going to go out of production any time soon and they may even have more released by the time you've saved up. I think they just released the Deathstinger a couple months ago.

Bootlegs tend to be more brittle than genuine products and even some of the older official kits are a little fragile.
>>
>>5575412
It is about the same. They use too much release agent so make sure you wash the runners before you paint them.
If you are going for the Panzer you will need at least White, Red, and Yellow paint for the Anime look.
>>
>>5575419
The problem is that I think some of the kits I want will never get re-released because they were limited or special editions. Like the Bang Ver. Ligers or the Blade Liger Mirage.
>>
>>5575421
Thank you for the info! I'm going to buy my first one soon then.
>>
Any thoughts on Valvrave kits?
>>
>>5575422
The blade liger Mirage wasn't a kit, Kotobukiya actually dabbled with straight action figures, no assembly at all. I'm an Ameri-fag was "Bang" from New Century Zero or Chaotic Century?
Either or both the Liger Zero and the blade Liger have been re-released a couple times, they even sell the Liger Zero with the alt-armor included.
>>
File: z03m_box.jpg (92 KB, 513x700) Image search: [Google]
z03m_box.jpg
92 KB, 513x700
>>5575430
>The blade liger Mirage wasn't a kit
Ehhh...what?
>>
File: 1.jpg (776 KB, 1080x811) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
776 KB, 1080x811
>>5575442
ah shit, I was thinking of the Mugen Liger.. But in this case, yeah that one was a limited run.
>>
>>5575442
Is there anything actually different about that or is it just a recoloured blade liger?
>>
File: 1459069277271.jpg (77 KB, 1440x810) Image search: [Google]
1459069277271.jpg
77 KB, 1440x810
I want Barbatos Mk.2.
>>
File: liger.jpg (593 KB, 1000x877) Image search: [Google]
liger.jpg
593 KB, 1000x877
>>5575430
Bang is Van from CC

Check mandy for zoids, best place for them honestly. Limited ones will always be pricey but the normal releases are pretty fair and you'll pay about the same as a bootleg.

I made the mistake of buying a bootleg for my first HMM and while it wasn't the worst the quality and fitment is way tighter than Koto. It was the hardest ABS plastic I've ever used and literally made my fingers bleed. pic related is the result, mind you it's painted. Also made a ton of mistakes when i built it since it was one of my first painted builds. I still love the shit out of, one of my favorite builds I've ever done even if it's a bastard bootleg
>>
>>5575449
Specifically a recolor of the Blade Liger AB, with the attack boosters. But yeah, just a recolor, just like most exclusive kits.
>>
>>5575449
>Is there anything actually different
Not really. Mirage vs initial blade liger release came with the attack booster.

Mirage vs Van's Blade liger, both have the attack booster, but Van's liger comes with Van, Fiona, and Zeke as both an organoid and attached to the core.

>>5575462
That looks pretty nice, did the cockpit come opaque?
>>
>>5575462
Honestly, the prices on Mandarake aren't bad, but I worry about the shipping. I know the boxes are EXTREMELY huge on most Zoids.
>>
>>5575471
No. Cockpits are always clear orange, like the Wolf next to it. I just hate clear plastic, think it looks cheap on models outside of aircraft
>>
File: boxes.jpg (669 KB, 700x1141) Image search: [Google]
boxes.jpg
669 KB, 700x1141
>>5575473
The shipping depends on which store you buy from, some of them force EMS because of box size or because it's just their store policy. If you can get it for SAL shipping it's going to be cheaper than a bootleg or very comparable in price. Even with EMS though I've found them to be cheaper though but again, it depends on the kit a lot.

Box sizes for HMMs vary. The CM is the smallest HMM I think. Geno Breaker is by far the biggest, and holy fucking shit the part count is insane. Planning on doing a fully painted build of it since I've improved significantly since my BL build. pic related
>>
>>5575481
>If you can get it for SAL shipping it's going to be cheaper than a bootleg or very comparable in price.
R-really? Like for example, how much did you pay for Geno Breaker including shipping? Or any other Zoid of comparable size.
>>
>>5575487
The Geno Breaker wasn't cheap, especially because it's the limited Raven one and they forced EMS on me so it's a pretty bad example. Paid $70 for it before shipping (which is a fucking amazing deal by itself considering it sells for around $120 before shipping from ebay/amazon). The shipping was a lot though because again EMS, and it was grouped order.

I'd suggest just looking, they usually mention somewhere in the description if they can only do EMS.
>>
>>5575481
Word of warning with the Genobreaker, the spirals on the booster pack are pretty thin plastic, one of which broke in assembly.

>>5575490
I think I paid somewhere around $20 or so for shipping. Altogether it was around the $100 mark.
>>
>>5575494

>the spirals on the booster pack are pretty thin plastic, one of which broke in assembly

Appreciate the tip, it won't be a while before I touch it because I have a few other painted builds lined up before. When I was checking parts to make sure everything was there I got some nerves because of the part count and so many fucking tiny pieces, even for Koto it's excessive.

I'm really excited about it though, it's one of my favorite zoids and I plan on having some duel diorama setup with sand in my case between it and my liger
>>
>plastic on plastic peg joint fits too tight to safely move
Any way to rectify this? I've already put graphite powder in there, but although it moves okay most of the way in, it tightens up too much for comfort when it goes in all the way. I could sand it down slightly and make it a little looser, but would drilling an air hole help as well?
>>
>>5575648
Possibly, but it seems easier to just sand the peg a little.
>>
>>5575648
I find coating your joints in cooking oil each month or so is the best way to go.
>>
>>5575648

Rub the peg on either side of your nose by where the nostril meets the cheek.
>>
>>5575673
Meijin pls
>>
>>5575648
Just sand it down then smooth it with high grit.

If it becomes too lose rough it up or use some glue
>>
>>5575648
chop the joint and replace it with a 3d printed ratchet joint.
>>
>>5575704

>3D printer

I am a 3D printer
>>
>>5575704
DUDE 3D PRINTING LMAO
>>
>>5575704
Oh I just whip up my custom parts on my CAD server then feed them into my mill to make injection molds for me and do a fast production on my injection molder.

When I am done I toss it into my detailer and have it do the painting for me.
>>
File: DSC043181.jpg (485 KB, 1280x960) Image search: [Google]
DSC043181.jpg
485 KB, 1280x960
>>5575719

Or you could just buy a pack.
>>
BANDAI PRAMO!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fFuSo8x0_SY
>>
>>5575733
But I bought all this hardware...
>>
>>5575739

funnn
>>
>>5575755

DOM!

JET STREAM ATTTACKU!

TRIPRE DOM!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IouHdSjczKM
>>
>>5575760

>You will never be a japanese man launching a life size 1/100 Wing Gundam.

Why even live?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_uelzvAyCQ
>>
File: 81tclBHlpOL._SL1500_.jpg (363 KB, 1500x1192) Image search: [Google]
81tclBHlpOL._SL1500_.jpg
363 KB, 1500x1192
I just bought this for my first ever toy kit. I have been wanting to try this stuff since I say it on CSI the other week. Any tips for a pure newbie?
>>
>>5575769
Did you read the guide?
>>
File: 61ExGrf+nKL._SL1500_.jpg (110 KB, 1500x1004) Image search: [Google]
61ExGrf+nKL._SL1500_.jpg
110 KB, 1500x1004
I got a hankering for more Melee focused Mechs like Titus. Been having WAY too much fun posing him compared to more ranged focused Gundams.

Any other good melee kits?
>>
File: respect the goufy.png (386 KB, 626x440) Image search: [Google]
respect the goufy.png
386 KB, 626x440
>>5575783

MG or HG?

Gouf MG or Gouf Custom HG are fun as hell.

Gyan has a light up saber.

Unicorn Galluss has boxing gloves.
>>
>>5575783
1/144 Barbatos or 1/100 Barbatos 6th are mostly melee, and frankly look better with the sword or mace. Epyon, Gastima, Exia, 00, Quant are also melee focused.
>>
Hello /toy/.
I was wondering if anyone had any experience with the Kotobukiya Metal Gear Rex kit.
I can't for the life of me figure out where or rather... how, to get the plastic support in it's slot, the book is telling me something slides at the bottom of rex to reveal a peg, but I'm close to breaking whatever is supposed to "Slide"
>>
>>5575789
I like MG more since it eats up more down time at work but HG is fine as well.
>>
>>5575792
Am I the only one that things Barbatos (and more of IBO's kits) just look awful? I hate the super thin fame they use, it looks more like power armor then a real mech.
>>
>>5575798
I quite like the designs, I don't really get the hang ups over the waists or whatever it is people complain about, there's been weirder mechs. My taste in mechs is pretty diverse though, I don't ever think "what a mech should look like", just "oh fuck, that looks sick" or 'eh, don't care for it"
>>
>>5575798
>Am I the only one
Not only do you want to be a special snowflake, but you apparently never read the boards, or else you would have noticed the other wannabe special snowflakes that made an identical post to your own, albeit earlier than you. ;^)
That said, your group of haters are apparently in the minority, seeing as how many others besides myself are buying up the kits and proclaiming them good, to the point there is definitely a 2nd season of the show in the pipeline.
>>
File: image.jpg (954 KB, 2448x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
954 KB, 2448x2448
Beads man. Fucking beads.
>>
>>5575798

I agree, I even like the older FSS designs that are thin (not gothicmade though fuck that shit) but the IBO waists just don't seem to fit at all with the rest of the suits designs.
>>
>>5575809

that looks nice
>>
>>5575769
Read the guide, take it slow. Thin your paints and trim your nubs.
>>
>>5575769

What CSI episode was this? How was it gunpla related?
>>
File: mystery piece.jpg (167 KB, 500x989) Image search: [Google]
mystery piece.jpg
167 KB, 500x989
Speaking of CSI anyone recognize this piece? got it by accident in some kit a year ago and I've never figured out what it's from
>>
>>5575481
Shadow fox has a smaller box then the wolf. Admittedly the wolf I got was the Brad custom with every weapon option for the many variants they made of it, so it might be larger then the other wolf boxes.

I was to say the molga and/or godos/iguan (whatever those names were) was smallest box
>>
>>5575818
I don't know the number but the killer hit a poison dart gun in the cannon of a model at a convention to kill someone who beat him in a contest for $1,000,000.

The models looked really interesting with the working guns and all that plus winning a bunch of money in contests sounds really fun.
>>
File: 1-100_HG_GX-9900.jpg (551 KB, 651x1000) Image search: [Google]
1-100_HG_GX-9900.jpg
551 KB, 651x1000
>>5575828
I think that's from the old Gundam X kit.
>>
>>5575839

Thanks, nice work! It's resin from some shitty recast kit but it is totally from Gundam X after checking pics.
>>
>>5575838
FYI, real life ain't like that.
>>
>>5575838

Got any more info, I want to see this but can't find anything searching that
>>
>>5575838
The prizes for the contests are usually just model kits iirc.
>>
>>5575809
It's looking great anon. Do you plan on dry brushing detail on the scratches?
>>
>>5575887
Yup. Gonna be doing an oil wash after its all done. Got decals coming in that ill be doing chipping and fading on.
>>
>>5575883
Or gift cards or the like. And certainly not for that much.
>>
File: test shot.jpg (101 KB, 800x906) Image search: [Google]
test shot.jpg
101 KB, 800x906
Got a new camera, testing out a shot
Also post grazes
>>
>>5575798
I like them a lot because they represented such a huge change for the series, and if I can be honest, after 20+ years of building, most Gundam designs bore me to tears nowadays. The IBO designs are very adventurous proportionally, and a lot of them have this really sort of gritty, hardass feeling to them, like they have real heft and weight. I love that there's a lot of focus on melee weapons too, it goes perfectly with this feel. Robots hacking at each other with fucking axes and maces and swords. It's great. Not to mention the range of different shapes is really fun, from the massive bulk of Gusion to the emaciated, almost skeletal-looking Barbatos.

I'm sure after IBO we'll return to the same old safe, boring MS proportions, so just sit tight.
>>
>>5575970
Bandai should take a break from gundam, maybe open a new line focusing on SciFi models or cute anime girls.
>>
>>5575912
shiit I'll definitely be keeping an eye out for your update post anon. Doing the zaku justice.
>>
>>5575970
>00 didn't exist
>>
>>5575974
Fuck that we need Gundam Build Fighters VS Zoids.
>>
>>5575988
I'd rather just have a new Zoids series that isn't shit, Genesis and Fuzors killed it and CC is one of my favorite series of all time

Pretty sure gundams would walk over zoids though, except anything with a charged particle gun maybe
>>
>>5575974
They try all the time for other sunrise series. Valvrave, T&B, Patlabor, and Accel World all got kits within like the last 5 or so years and bandai puts out one piece stuff all the time as well.
>>
File: 1433436862632.jpg (425 KB, 800x924) Image search: [Google]
1433436862632.jpg
425 KB, 800x924
>>5575991
>Battle Story anime never
It hurts.
>>
File: at18.jpg (40 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
at18.jpg
40 KB, 640x480
>>5576008
I'd take a season 2 of Zero even. I liked CC more but shit that would be better than nothing to me, I love Zoids.

Battle Story or CC manga adaption would be get me more hyped than anything else has in the past decade.

Have another Ultrasauras, this is probably the best build I've ever found of one
>>
>>5575983
Yeah, but that was like a decade ago, and it was bookended on both ends with more safe, boring designs.

Plus, this is just my personal opinion, but a lot of the 00 designs didn't quite sit right with me, adventurous though they may have been. It felt like someone was trying hard to be original--which I do give them credit for--but didn't quite hit the mark. IBO feels much more solid and cohesive to me, and simply appeals more to me visually as a whole.
>>
>>5576008
>>5576014
What Ultrasaurus is this? I know it never existed as an HMM.

Also, that battle scene photo is so cool. It's SO COOL. But the other Ultrasauruses sledding down the hill damn near vertically is just comedic.
>>
>>5576026

>>5576008 is the image from the back of the box from the 80's release of the motorized Ultrasaurus

>>5576014 is a custom
>>
File: at26.jpg (48 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
at26.jpg
48 KB, 640x480
>>5576026
One of the old Tomy ones, they made a few versions.
They're rare as fuck and extremely expensive unless you get very lucky on ebay or something and somebody is selling a used one, which is very very rare.

>>5576030
I'm not sure if the gravity cannon is or not, the blog I pulled it from is in jap but from what I could piece together with translate there may have been a very small and limited release of the custom part for it. I've never heard of it though so it very well may be. The base isn't custom though

It's still really cool, only one I've ever seen
>>
We really are prime for a new Zoids anime. There is not much in the way for Mecha anime lately so it'd likely get a warm welcome.

Maybe Netflix will do it after Voltron.
>>
How is the Crossbone Maoh? Looks really interesting
>>
File: 36.jpg (106 KB, 1200x960) Image search: [Google]
36.jpg
106 KB, 1200x960
>>5576047
It's a great fucking kit, I say buy it ASAP. Great colors, pretty good poseability, amazing weapons loadout. I'm honestly super happy with it. Just be aware it's just a tad on the small side, since the Crossbones is canonically a shortly for a mobile suit.
>>
File: DSCF5788.jpg (971 KB, 1824x1368) Image search: [Google]
DSCF5788.jpg
971 KB, 1824x1368
>>5576047
it can do this
>>
File: IMG_6744.jpg (54 KB, 600x800) Image search: [Google]
IMG_6744.jpg
54 KB, 600x800
And after a 3 month hiatus the RGB PG unicorn project restarts
Now to duplicate that wiring for the other side
>>
>>5576045
>>5576008
I would love an anime were more in the battle story then the others. Or maybe something that is not starring a liger, (fat chance) like maybe a Molga. A true underdog story, a kid and his molga saving the day.
>>
File: IMG_6741.jpg (38 KB, 600x800) Image search: [Google]
IMG_6741.jpg
38 KB, 600x800
>>5576081
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykBtlbylWf0
>>
>>5576078
Are you part of bandai's marketing sector? Your very effective at selling kits.
>>
>>5576081
Where did you learn to do LEDs and wiring and all that? I want to get some lights hooked up into my G-self display base.
>>
>>5576089
these are ws2812 leds connected to an arduino pro nano just running test patterns.
Adafruit has a whole heap of tutorials on how to wire them up.
I've got a load to learn about programming patterns, but that can be done after they're all hardwired into the kit.
>>
>>5576081
>3 months
Has it really been that long?
>>
>>5576098
3 months 2 days since I worked on it last.
>>
File: RG-78-2 Anime Colors.jpg (326 KB, 1342x1600) Image search: [Google]
RG-78-2 Anime Colors.jpg
326 KB, 1342x1600
The people who are capable of pulling this kind of stuff off are both scary and awe-inspiring.
>>
>>5576086
that's fuckin' sick dude.
>>
>>5576122
What's the base kit here? The Origin MG?
>>
>>5576146
Mega Size
>>
Since we're talking about Zoids ITT, is anyone else getting the Masterpiece Shield Liger? What are your thoughts on the concept? Anyone else hoping for a glorious return of motorized models?
>>
>>5576186
I like it a lot but I like HMMs more. Motorized is nice but it ruins articulation and I'd rather have it.

It also has one of my biggest peeves about shield ligers, the cockpit piece attached to the mouth is showing, hate that shit.

The price is also way too much for me
>>
>>5576191
I preferred the sturdiness of the old Tomy zoids, and the MP liger has so much more detail and complexity. But you're right, it likely won't be articulated at all. How is the HMM SL? I have a liger zero and a berserk fuhrer. The Zero is a finicky piece of crap but the BF is surprisingly solid.
>>
>>5576202
I wouldn't know, I don't have the HMM SL. Maybe after I clear through all my kits and backlog I'll look into the Van version and maybe try my hand at scratch building a shield effect part for it. But that wouldn't be for a long time.

I think it's pretty good though judging by pictures I've seen. The only HMMs I've heard that are rough are the Zero and Saix.
>>
>>5576208
A friend of mine has the saber tiger gold version and he just keeps it in a box. says it keeps falling apart and wasn't worth 200 bucks. I'm hoping he just put it together wrong because the schubaltz saber tiger looks mighty slick.
>>
>>5576210
>saber tiger gold version and he just keeps it in a box
I don't care how rough it might be why would you do that? Its a model, you put it up and let it sit. Even if it can't be posed or is finnicky you can still display it. Consider me a little triggered.

I'm not familiar with that one either but I've read good things about the saber tiger so I'm guessing it's him. And yeah, Schwaltz version is pretty hot, that minigun is sexy
>>
File: z09_40.jpg (143 KB, 879x600) Image search: [Google]
z09_40.jpg
143 KB, 879x600
>>5576210
>>5576214
The Great Saber/Gold Saber Tiger just have a lot of extra stuff mounted on the back. Makes them a lot more fiddly. The normal Saber Tiger is definitely more stable, and the Schubaltz custom at least looks like it has a more solid backpack.
>>
File: oe3.jpg (75 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
oe3.jpg
75 KB, 640x480
>>5576220
True, but still. It shouldn't be so bad that you box it. There are plenty of ways to make it sturdier I really doubt it's THAT much of a hand grenade.

Gold saber tiger isn't my favorite version but it's still a good looking kit.

Since we're talking about Zoids I just want to post this custom bash of an ultrasauras/gojulas with so much dakka it's mind blowing
>>
>>5576226
My only complaint with it was the rubber belts decayed after a few years and crumbled.
>>
How bad is the shipping on an issue of Gundamu Ace?
>>
>>5576314
From hlj? About $10 or so
>>
>>5576122
my fuck, are there any other shots of this?
>>
>>5576344
Nope thats the only one

http://blog.naver.com/namkipok/220665587278
>>
>>5576122
Does it look weird from other angles?
>>
File: 1458215272761.jpg (59 KB, 274x320) Image search: [Google]
1458215272761.jpg
59 KB, 274x320
>>5575769
>first time
>MG
This is gonna be good
>>
>>5576353
>MGs
>hard

Stop. No snapfit kit is hard
>>
>>5576359
Pg eva kits and bootlegs can be difficult

>>5576353
>le mg are hard
When is this meme gonna die? You have to be a complete retard to be unable to clip, clean parts and follow picture instructions
>>
>>5576359
Not a matter of difficulty, but the end result.
>>
>>5576353
They're not harder than HGs, they're just a bigger waste of money when you fuck them up.
>>
>>5576364
If it's his first it won't matter what it is, it's going to be amateurish and that's totally fucking okay because it's his first kit.

>>5576366
Is the only valid point but putting somebody off for something they want and like is stupid, let him build what he wants, let him make his own mistakes. Don't cockblock him from learning
>>
File: hsg64106_00.jpg (47 KB, 300x546) Image search: [Google]
hsg64106_00.jpg
47 KB, 300x546
Haven't built a plastic model kit in ages but recently picked this up. Anyone else here like Ma.K?
>>
>>5576353
Not him but I just started my first gunpla today and it's an MG MS-06J. Only part that seems harder than what I've seen of HGs is sanding down the little green rings on the pipes or whatever they are. Which isn't to say that's the only thing I've fucked up, but it's the only thing that seems easier to fuck up than normal.
>>
>>5576385

Love the designs, but lack the skill to do them justice.
>>
>>5576474
Yeah, I've been trying to watch as many Ma.K videos on youtube as I can to pick up tips and tricks. Painting wise, I've done plenty of WW2 era vehicles so not worried about that, but having to do sub-assemblies and painting interiors of cockpits and such is what I'm not looking forward to.
>>
why do you need cement for models?
I am looking for AC kits on HLJ and it says that it does require cement
It's too hard to acquire a plastic cement here in this wasteland.
>>
>>5576511
>why do you need cement for models?
>I am looking for AC kits on HLJ and it says that it does require cement
You answered your own question, champ.
>>
>>5576514
No I mean, what is it's purpose. Just some sort of glue?
>>
>>5576519
yes, but plastic cement actually melts and fuses the parts together, so its helpful for seam removal even if you have a totally snapfit kit
>>
>HBJ spring sale ends right before restock
>can't make purchases in the most cost effective way now
Why can't they extend it through the week?
>>
>>5576521
Aww its over? I need more plum animal parts. I got an idea for something (will post results later)
>>
>>5576530
It ends the 31st. The restock list comes out on the 1st. I have extreme autism when it comes to purchases and must take the path that saves me the most money because I have no income. If I buy something from HLJ, then I have to commit whatever I buy during the restock from HLJ, even if say 1999 has better prices and shipping.
>>
>>5576536
Well, wouldnt you get the sale price if you place an order now and get it when its restocked? Im sure theyll let that happen
>>
>>5576543
I doubt it, most sales are for in-stock only items. Once they sell out, you don't get the sale price anymore. The whole point is to get rid of excess stock.
>>
>>5576562
Probably should have emailed them about it, I had backordered a item about year and half to two years ago and just let it sit there as the price went up else where. If I wasnt logged in and looked at the item through the site normally its adjusted price for anyone who was to add it to their back order/restock from that point was higher then what was listed on my own order.

They honored it when it finally came in stock and was my turn on the list.
>>
File: 71co5BzO-5L._SL1409_.jpg (183 KB, 1160x1409) Image search: [Google]
71co5BzO-5L._SL1409_.jpg
183 KB, 1160x1409
I've got two MG kits and a PG sitting around that I've not tackled for ages as I've not had the drive to commit to long builds recently, but I've found that smaller kits that just take a couple of hours to be a lot more fun recently. I'm looking at the real grade kits as I got a MK II RG ages ago and really loved the build, and right now the Justice Gundam has my eye as I've got most of the other kits in another size. Anyone here built it? Is it a fun, nice kit?
>>
>>5576621
Oh man, same dude. I have MGs stacking the fuck up in my backlog because they seem like...committing to something big. But I can knock out a HG or SD fast, even with detailing and/or painting, so it seems nice and chill and easy. This is bad though...I need to get to those MGs someday, or they're just never gonna happen. I have like 10 MGs waiting, which I really never expected to happen to me.
>>
Lookin to get the MG Qan[t] since it's only 37 bucks on amazon.
Is it a good kit though?
Figure I'd ask before I pull the trigger.
>>
>>5576621
Its a good kit but suffers same problems all early RG kits have and I suggest getting a stand for it.
>>
>>5576640
Yeah it's a curse, sometimes I get the urge and can spend hours and hours a day and knock out some huge kits but it's been a while since I've done that last. For now I'm refraining from buying any other large kits and purely working on the smaller stuff, I find it helps a lot as there's no feeling of over commiting so you're less likely to stop part way through.
>>
>>5576642
What problem would that be? Poor stability I guess?
>>
File: test barba-neko.jpg (116 KB, 800x1261) Image search: [Google]
test barba-neko.jpg
116 KB, 800x1261
Nyaa Orga-senpai who am i killing today??
>>
File: GNSIV+0000Q.jpg (71 KB, 640x426) Image search: [Google]
GNSIV+0000Q.jpg
71 KB, 640x426
>>5576641
Absolutely, sure it has a little weight issues due to the asymmetry provided by the GN shield or whatever the toot it's called, but it's proportions are spot on and it just oozes sleekness, only problems i can think of are the skirt flaps always wanting to fly off and the kit refusal to hold the buster rifle/sword, but hey at least you get a free action base with it.

On a side note you could always buy pic related (Butterfly Hobby GN Sword IV) to both offset the weight issue and give the kit a bit more visual balance while still remaining asymmetrical, if you do just be sure to have some glue on hand as a few bit just refuse to stay put!
>>
>>5576663
jeebus yamato
>>
File: nyaa you to death.jpg (151 KB, 800x1294) Image search: [Google]
nyaa you to death.jpg
151 KB, 800x1294
>>5576686
I ended up doing something with it
Im calling it "Atra's custom" it has 4 ribbons, cat-ear and a tail antenna. Planning out a color scheme for it
>>
>>5576694
needs some sort of skirt
>>
Random question time.
Is there some sort of gundam that doesn't look enough like a gundam and could pass as just a suit of armor or a robot for a figma or some other 1/12 figure
>>
>>5576702
The only mini skirts i know how to make are hula skirts. Ill look up guides on doll skirts
>>
still waiting for my kits to arrive, but I still want to buy tho I don't know what. I might pick up a Gusion Rebake and Kimaris since shit's cheaper than RGs and most HGs
>>
File: fa08_02.jpg (86 KB, 572x700) Image search: [Google]
fa08_02.jpg
86 KB, 572x700
>>5576704
Well sure there are, but maybe you'd be better off with something like Frame Arms? The designs are very different from each other, you don't have that distinctive Gundam-y look, and some of them look like they could be believable power armor for a Figma or etc.
>>
File: power-jacket.jpg (97 KB, 951x713) Image search: [Google]
power-jacket.jpg
97 KB, 951x713
>>5576710
Thanks!
will certainly look into it
>>
>>5576704
I think they actually announced a power armour suit for FAGs at the past wonfes.
>>
File: image.jpg (75 KB, 600x800) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
75 KB, 600x800
>>5576705
>>
File: Capture.png (206 KB, 437x478) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
206 KB, 437x478
>>5576739
>>
>>5576739
I have some red fabric that im gonna cut up and sew. Though idk what do to for the color scheme, gonna look at idolshit for ideas
>>
>>5576739
This now looks like that one gay gundam which I don't remember the name
>>
>>5576739
That's pretty moe.
>>
>>5574843

Within 2 years or over 5
>>
>>5576752

Barbatos
>>
>>5576834
6th "form"
>>
>>5576676
Awesome, thanks! Put the go ahead on the purchase.
I read about the tipping issue and the flaps. Doesn't sound like anything a little glue can't fix.
>>
>>5576739
Ironically Barbs is likely the only gundam with a waist narrow enough to pull this off

And in the truest Mika fashion, it looks like he clubbed Fumina to death before "appropriating" it
>>
File: 31739-2.jpg (114 KB, 667x1000) Image search: [Google]
31739-2.jpg
114 KB, 667x1000
Looks ridiculous
>>
File: 31739-6.jpg (172 KB, 667x1000) Image search: [Google]
31739-6.jpg
172 KB, 667x1000
>>5576951
Nip magic
>>
>>5576122
Looking at this for too long makes my head hurt.
>>
>>5576955

Anyone know if there are scans of the Mig Jimenez mecha book In Combat? The preview pics look really interesting ad he goes full mil weathering on an rx-78-2 and whatever people think of his products etc his models and articles are great. 30 bucks seems steep though for a guide book.
>>
>>5576717
Confirming, I believe called Gigantic Arms or something similar.
>>
Memory lane time. Name 1 to 3 of your favorite kits you've seen done here or on /m/ in each scale.
>>
Anyone know when the pre-order for the 00C Takemi on Kotobukiya US ships out?
>>
TFW you check your Amazon order and it shows Arriving Apr 12 - May 3.

I want my Gun Sniper Naomi Custom NOW!
>>
>>5577121
The painted Ex-S that didn't win that crossboard contest a while back.

Still amazed at that, not that I thought ANTS Nu was bad but that ExS was on another level.
>>
>>5577223

it didn't win the challenge because it was made months earlier for something else if I remember correctly

It was really nice though, yeah
>>
>>5577225
Was that the reason? Makes sense, still kind of feel like the judge(s) were sucking ANTs dick a little too much by the fact his Exia was runner up in the other category too. Like I said, neither were bad builds, and his Nu was really well done even if he melted on accident at first but there were a lot of other nicer builds iirc just shitty pictures of them
>>
>>5577237

yeah ANT's photography skills really helped, it's a bigger part of this kind of thing than many realize
>>
>>5576650
Poor stability yes. The backpack doesn't help it either.
>>
File: _MG_1134 (Copy).jpg (98 KB, 1125x750) Image search: [Google]
_MG_1134 (Copy).jpg
98 KB, 1125x750
Mini image dump with my new kit (a Big Daddy-themed Z'Gok).
>>
File: _MG_1103 (Copy).jpg (84 KB, 1125x750) Image search: [Google]
_MG_1103 (Copy).jpg
84 KB, 1125x750
>>5577503
I used this project to practice weathering.
>>
File: _MG_1120 (Copy).jpg (104 KB, 1125x750) Image search: [Google]
_MG_1120 (Copy).jpg
104 KB, 1125x750
>>5577505
The eye, and its track, are magnetic so I can change where it's looking.
>>
File: _MG_1125 (Copy).jpg (137 KB, 750x1125) Image search: [Google]
_MG_1125 (Copy).jpg
137 KB, 750x1125
>>5577507
>>
File: _MG_1100 (Copy).jpg (73 KB, 1125x750) Image search: [Google]
_MG_1100 (Copy).jpg
73 KB, 1125x750
>>5577511
>>
File: _MG_1111 (Copy).jpg (95 KB, 750x1125) Image search: [Google]
_MG_1111 (Copy).jpg
95 KB, 750x1125
>>5577514
Also, last time I posted, I had finished the sniper rifle but not the K9 Dog Pack proper.
>>
File: _MG_1113 (Copy).jpg (92 KB, 1125x750) Image search: [Google]
_MG_1113 (Copy).jpg
92 KB, 1125x750
>>5577517
>>
Anyone else getting fucked over a bit on making payments because of the stupid VISA card reissue?
>>
File: _MG_1128 (Copy).jpg (92 KB, 750x1125) Image search: [Google]
_MG_1128 (Copy).jpg
92 KB, 750x1125
>>5577520
These photos were taken by a coworker since I don't have a decent camera, so I have to work around their schedule and can't spend a whole lot of time adjusting poses in between shots.
>>
File: _MG_1129 (Copy).jpg (77 KB, 1125x750) Image search: [Google]
_MG_1129 (Copy).jpg
77 KB, 1125x750
>>5577532
Last one.
>>
>>5576952
>>5576951
It reminds me of a t-rex.
I could see it dropping its gun and flailing around for it with it's stubby arms.
>>
Just picked up the Koto Sahelanthropus at Anime Boston. If I don't have an airbrush, what would be the best way of doing the camo pattern?

Also,
>mfw slicing an actual chunk off my thumb trimming a part
>>
>>5577553
Don't point the blade at things you don't want to cut
Also it sounds weird but you're less likely to cut yourself on a new blade because it will cut more consistently than a worn one
>>
>>5577553
>got sally
>not rex

Rex is nicer, I feel like Sally isn't to scale with the other Metal Gear kits.
If you don't want to air brush get a spray can. That's how I did the camo on my Rex. Tape off the areas you don't want paint and create your camo design. It's tedious. I would also recommend testing your spray can on some plastic spoons so you get a feel for the spray. You don't want to just jump right in and then end up using too much paint and it bubbles and drips. Lighter coats is always better. It's more work to do multiple light coats but the end result will be better.
And make sure you paint outside, for the love of god, paint outside.
>>
>>5577503
>>5577505
>>5577507
etc

These look nice!
>>
>>5577507
>magnetic
Did you just cut up a thin magnet and glue it?

The whole build looks great, nice job
Really dig all parts of it from the shiny gm, to the weathered zgok and the sniper, even though I think the green is a bit too loud and wish it was more pastel but that's just me.
>>
File: Derp.png (2 MB, 661x1857) Image search: [Google]
Derp.png
2 MB, 661x1857
Doing some paint tests today and I noticed there's some minor orange peel effect happening to my spoons. Any idea on the cause of this? It happens when using both Rustoleum Chrome Gold and Krylon Short-Cuts Gold.

It did rain yesterday, so could it be because the humidity? I didn't think that would be the cause because it's a little over 60 degrees out.
>>
>>5577632
>Did you just cut up a thin magnet and glue it?
Yeah - the package says, "Magnetic Cards with Adhesive" and implies you can use it for business cards. I picked it up at Michael's.
>>
File: IMG_20160329_105511.jpg (331 KB, 720x1280) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160329_105511.jpg
331 KB, 720x1280
What bits do you guys reckon needs some color? Looks kinda too black with just the pistons coloured up.
>>
>>5577514
Nice.

>>5577517
How long did it take to seam weld that rifle?

>>5577765
It happens with big cans. Too much being sprayed on at once.
>>
>>5577887
Well, I also shortened the stock, and I was taking it slow - erring on the side of caution. About two weeks?
>>
File: Herp Derp.png (2 MB, 694x1977) Image search: [Google]
Herp Derp.png
2 MB, 694x1977
>>5577887
Hrm... so perhaps I need to speed up my passes then?

The same sort of thing happens with my small can of Krylon Short-Cuts.
>>
File: P1160493.jpg (586 KB, 1200x1600) Image search: [Google]
P1160493.jpg
586 KB, 1200x1600
Just popped this big fucker together.

Are the decals waterslides, or am I just fucking retarded at peeling stickers off of paper?
>>
>>5577908
Koto is typically waterslides and not stickers, so yeah stop that
>>
File: 39581285192381.png (92 KB, 250x445) Image search: [Google]
39581285192381.png
92 KB, 250x445
>>5577908
>>
>>5577899
Speed up passes and just do light coats and let it sit for like 15 minutes before going for another coat
>>
Does anyone here recommend Vallejo model air for airbrushing? What acrylic paints would you guys recommend? I know acrylic paint scrapes off easily, but I'm kind of afraid by how enamels and lacquers can be really dangerous, even though I do have a gas mask I'm still not comfortable with it.
>>
>>5578042

you need to get over that shit, you will be fine they aren't saxitoxin
>>
File: detail attempt.jpg (602 KB, 982x1200) Image search: [Google]
detail attempt.jpg
602 KB, 982x1200
>>5577868
This is what I did.
>>
>>5578052

give it a top hat and a monocle with all that brass
>>
>>5578052
And you still used the sticker on the gun. for shame dude
>>
>>5578055
Supposed to be gold, but it's the metallic Sharpie and tends to look more brass than gold.

>>5578057
GM Cardigan is getting a full paint job.
>>
File: gas mask.jpg (25 KB, 320x320) Image search: [Google]
gas mask.jpg
25 KB, 320x320
>>5578042
>but I'm kind of afraid by how enamels and lacquers can be really dangerous, even though I do have a gas mask I'm still not comfortable with it.
>tfw mixing some cyanide resin tonight
this hobby ain't for pussies yo
>>
File: dom.jpg (588 KB, 800x1206) Image search: [Google]
dom.jpg
588 KB, 800x1206
>>5578042
I've airbrushed vallejo, it isn't bad but it's very soft and rubs off very easily.

I don't post my builds that often but here for relevance. If you look around the hips and other areas you'll notice where it rubbed off.

Also aware I messed up the decals, don't need anybody pointing it out
>>
File: Mr. Ghetto Polisher.jpg (264 KB, 1000x750) Image search: [Google]
Mr. Ghetto Polisher.jpg
264 KB, 1000x750
It WORKS

>anon that's retarded

paying 40 bucks + shipping for mr. polisher pro is retarded

I can change this baby out to NINE different grids of micro mesh up to 12000

AND it looks like a strawberry

Now I just sit back as the nubs sand themselves away
>>
>>5578112

now make a pocket knife with different jewelers files
>>
>>5578112
Wait, what? What, uh, exactly are you doing?
>>
>>5578134

advanced science my man
>>
File: polisher.jpg (60 KB, 800x579) Image search: [Google]
polisher.jpg
60 KB, 800x579
>>5578134
>>
File: GUGT07_box.jpg (219 KB, 394x768) Image search: [Google]
GUGT07_box.jpg
219 KB, 394x768
>>5578112
>>5578134

It's not even that different

You have to buy separate entire heads for this one too, not just tips
>>
>>5578138
No I gathered that, but how did he attach the pads to the spinbrush head? Sticky tack?

Either way it's an interesting idea.
>>
>>5578152

I cut the bristles off the face, superglued styrene to it, then use sticky tack to attach the pads. They are like cloth so they don't tear or anything while changing them. I tried velcro first, but it was too loose so I lost some rotation.

Also now I know plastic cement can't melt bristle dreams
>>
>>5577899
That shouldn't be happening with those Short Cut cans, they work really well for me. Probably the weather.
>>
File: Mr. Ghetto Polisher Test White.jpg (141 KB, 1200x461) Image search: [Google]
Mr. Ghetto Polisher Test White.jpg
141 KB, 1200x461
>>5578112

Test results, used the polisher on half of this armor piece. This is Mr. White Base 1000. The right side is after like 1 minute of polishing. Now it's like Mr. White Base 2000.
>>
>>5577887
if i pop the spray head off and put a tamiya spray can head on it, would it work?
>>
>>5578190
That is fucking sexy. What did you do? Paint it and then polish it?

And for the electric tooth brush did you just cut off the bristles and super glue a piece of sand paper on? Or did you figure out a way to get the sandpaper on and be able to replace the sandpaper when it wears out?
>>
>>5578112
It's cool that you made your own mini sander, but it may be better to invest in a rotary tool in the long run because they can take more attachments. Diamond grinding bits, sanding drums, felt pads for polishing, etc. Recommend battery ones for plastic because they produce less torque.
>>
>>5578170
Hopefully it'll be drier tomorrow.
>>
>>5578213

Yeah this is just primer, not even regular paint. I can switch the pads with stickytack.
>>
>>5578225
And the stick tack is strong enough for the sandpaper pad to not go sliding?
>>
do i start on my mg duel or hold off for now
>>
>>5578479
you should get an MG Aegis then build that along with the Duel
>>
>>5578499
i don't have any shekels man
>>
>>5578479
You should start on my dick.
>>
>>5578527
fuck you my man
>>
>>5576370
If you can stop someone from making a mistake you should. We've made our mistakes so others don't have to.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 89

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.