[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's a good way to start collecting toys? I know that
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /toy/ - Toys

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2
File: 1452396300538.jpg (462 KB, 1189x945) Image search: [Google]
1452396300538.jpg
462 KB, 1189x945
What's a good way to start collecting toys? I know that I'd want to buy Transformers, but i'm unsure how much is a good "starting price" for a small collection. Should I just buy the ones that I think are nice, even if they're more expensive?
>>
the collection is what you make of it.

if you want the big expensive ones then go ahead, you shouldn't seek approval for something YOU enjoy.
>>
Some guy just posted a dickload of TFs in the BST thread, just pick and choose from there.
>>
>>5563103
>how do I form my own opinion
>how do I research online

You fucking plebs need to leave
>>
>>5563103
Well I'd say focus mostly on MPs and some of the better combiner wars stuff for now. You can go to HLJ right now and pick up some Masterpiece figures for a decent price. for example, MP Tracks:
http://www.hlj.com/product/TKT83175/Sci
Not the best, but a good way to start off.

Some of the older MPs have gotten expensive, but there's bootlegs on eBay that are decent facsimiles. You can pick them up for around $30 each shipped, and they can be used as a way to try out the molds before buying the real one, or a straight up substitute.

There's also retail toys you can buy at stores. Right now the main line for collectors available is Combiner wars. Those go for around $15-20 per figure for the limbs,a nd $25-30 for the torso pieces. One torso and 4 limbs makes a combiner robot.
>>
>>5563115
sorry friendo just a little uninformed is all :)
>>
>>5563108
i guess i just dont want to have a big load of expensive ones when i barely have any decent priced ones is all thank you tho
>>
>>5563174
Post pics or examples of what you'd like. It'd be easier for us to help.
>>
>>5563103
As a long time Transformer collector, the only one worth getting these days are Third Party TFs. You get the best engineering and design for your buck. I'm also a part of the progressive TF community that enjoys the new comic designs over the overdone G1 cartoon designs.

That said, don't collect TFs. It is one of the, if not -the-, most toxic toy community out there. Just a friendly warning.
>>
Don't do what I did and make sure you only buy things you really liked and have the time to enjoy them, though, you should do what I did and watch every gallery and review you can get to.
Also make sure you have the space to display them and you seriously like the shit you buy, or it will become a hassle to own them.
Don't just buy something because you liked the character if the toy of it is not good. This applies just too often to Transformers.
>>
the best first thing to do in my recent experience has been to go to whatever resource you know of for collecting and just start absorbing info about what you plan to get.
I have a list on MFC of about 40 different figures I want as a "base" and that gives me something to work off when I'm planning what to buy when and how much I spend (for example, I can pick up a good handful of cheap older releases on an off-monh, and save up for big upcoming preorders/spring for more rare releases, instead of just blindly buying everything I want)
Transformers, though, are a huge mess and I suggest you head to the TFGeneral and try to get more solid information on price ranges, quality, etc. Before you begin making a wanted list.
>>
Protip: Don't buy Transformers. They will always look like a clusterfuck and cheap.

If you want a small collection, that's fine, but get something that looks pleasing as well as being decently articulated if you're into that.
>>
Buy things you like because you like them, not for the sake of "Having a collection" or whatever.

I have way too much shit and I've just kinda accumulated it buying stuff I like because I wanted it. As a result....I have too much shit.

You know what, just don't start buying toys, you'll be better off that way.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (270 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
270 KB, 1280x720
>>5563103
your collection should start with a related core-interest, mainly a cartoon you like, a video game you played, a creative need, etc.

Transformers is a good start, pretty much anything domestic really. you can evem walk right into a store and pick up the first interesting thing you can afford, but its also wise to do research first (if a toy is good, bad, rare, common, discounted, to be rereleased etc), and with today's smartphone technology you can do research on the go. in any case, if you like what you see, buy it.

another thing you must know is that collecting is a slippery slope. Whether you do it for play or display, you may end up buying a lot because it's part of a team or by a "collect them all!" mentality; a better version of a specific toy gets announced or pops up out of the blue; or a really good discount appears before you somewhere. Even if you do fulfill a satisfaction, you may end up with a clusterfuck of a mess, limited space and/or buyer's remorse.

Buy what you want, but not what you "need"...unless you do want it.

another thing is finances. Try to prioritize your living essentials first before you possibly splurge on some hyped toy youve been wanting forever or a rare toy you just cant find anywhere else. If you can't afford it, then postpone it until you can and hope its still there waiting for you.

Last but not least, HAVE FUN! You may see or read about other "fellow" collectors act negatively and have disagreeable ideas on collecting, but that's typical of us. You will either be like us or not, you will see for yourself
>>
>>5563523
>prioritize your living essentials first
This. My rule of thumb is "If I still want it on payday, I'll get it."
>>
>>5563103
Look at other peoples collections, if you see something you like, get that.
There is no starter pack of toys

also >>5563115

>>5563153
Check myfigurecollection

Do I want it?
and
Can I afford it?
Should be your two main questions to ask yourself
>>
>>5563523
>your collection should start with
Nah

>>5563103
Do what you want, If you want to buy the toys everyone is buying, do it. Why you made a thread about it is beyond me
>>
>>5563523
This guy is right. Probably the best way to start buying is domestic, walk into a store and grab a figure at reasonable price that catches your eye. Then from there you can start forming an idea of what kind of sculpt, articulation, etc. You like.

>>5563363
This is alright for getting into import-only stuff, but also definitely check out all the reviews of a toy or line that you can before your first order.
>>
>>5563115
>being an unfriendly /a/sshole
I want /a/ to leave
>>
>>5563103
Look at a toy, look at its reviews, ask yourself if it's worth x price.

If yes, buy if within budget(do keep a budget)
If no, wait for prices to drop.
>>
>>5563103

What do you like best? Who are your favorites?
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.